Politics & Current Events

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby DiceMan4221 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 pm

CubinNY wrote:
squally1313 wrote:I feel like I'm missing something obvious here because I never really see this being discussed, so someone help me out please:

In terms of the budget, the standard Republican defense on all these cuts is that they are getting rid of wasteful spending/inefficiencies/etc. That's fine, easy talking point, whatever. Last I checked, we spend more on the military than like the next 10 countries combined, and apparently it's a key priority to increase that spending this year.

Has anyone called into question why every other country in the world spends fractions of what we're spending on the military and are obviously satisfied with the output? Is the military so sacrosanct that we can't theorize that, if we're spending multiple more than anyone else and it apparently isn't good enough, maybe we're doing something wrong in terms of inefficiencies there? Or is there something unique about the US that requires such large expenditures?

We have the words 1 (Air Force), 2 (Navy), and 3rd (Army) largest air-forces according to a colonel I know.

That colonel is confusing as hell.
2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 pm

Banedon wrote:https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/842409899359375361

Is this true? it's too delicious.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:40 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:
squally1313 wrote:I feel like I'm missing something obvious here because I never really see this being discussed, so someone help me out please:

In terms of the budget, the standard Republican defense on all these cuts is that they are getting rid of wasteful spending/inefficiencies/etc. That's fine, easy talking point, whatever. Last I checked, we spend more on the military than like the next 10 countries combined, and apparently it's a key priority to increase that spending this year.

Has anyone called into question why every other country in the world spends fractions of what we're spending on the military and are obviously satisfied with the output? Is the military so sacrosanct that we can't theorize that, if we're spending multiple more than anyone else and it apparently isn't good enough, maybe we're doing something wrong in terms of inefficiencies there? Or is there something unique about the US that requires such large expenditures?

We have the worlds 1 (Air Force), 2 (Navy), and 3rd (Army) largest air-forces according to a colonel I know.

That colonel is confusing as hell.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:41 pm

CubinNY wrote:

We have the worlds 1 (Air Force), 2 (Navy), and 3rd (Army) largest air-forces according to a colonel I know.
0 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 am

Private military contractors lobby has congress on a leech, just like the health insurance companies.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:43 am

Omar wrote:Private military contractors lobby has congress on a leech, just like the health insurance companies.

THose damn boltons.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:11 am

The rare typo that works both ways.
0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:53 am

0 x

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:58 am

CubInOK wrote:https://twitter.com/fahrenthold/status/842567198740824065
nothing threatens our freedom quite like North Korea!! I think the administration has clearly shown that bullying will be the new diplomacy
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:07 pm

CubinNY wrote:

This uses the same tweets as evidence, but yes...it appears to be true.

http://www.theroot.com/trump-recites-an ... 1793352629
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Banedon wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

This uses the same tweets as evidence, but yes...it appears to be true.

http://www.theroot.com/trump-recites-an ... 1793352629

Love the first comment there;

"Nope. Grew up Irish Catholic. There’s no way that is an Irish anything. We don’t forget the things that make us sad. We stew over that horsefeathers until our birthday and end up in a fistfight in the yard with Dad."
6 x

wade
All-Star

Postby wade » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Trump's writers google "famous Irish proverb" and use one they found on a pinterest page. Ted Sorensen rolls over.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:11 pm

NewUserName wrote:
nothing threatens our freedom quite like North Korea!! I think the administration has clearly shown that bullying will be the new diplomacy

It actually may be time to take a different approach to North Korea than we have in the past. They no longer can be considered a joke that is best ignored when they rattle the cage. I just don't trust these clowns in the White House to get it right.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:15 pm

NOLA wrote:
NewUserName wrote:

It actually may be time to take a different approach to North Korea than we have in the past. They no longer can be considered a joke that is best ignored when they rattle the cage. I just don't trust these clowns in the White House to get it right.

Yeah, dealing with NK was inevitably going to come to a head at some point regardless of who was in the Oval Office; you could just hope it wouldn't be a collection of impulsive incompetents like these jamokes. Any answer to dealing with NK has to come from or go through China, period.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:15 pm

wade wrote:Trump's writers google "famous Irish proverb" and use one they found on a pinterest page. Ted Sorensen rolls over.

Ah, the Trump administration...the bumbling of GW Bush, the corruption of Nixon and ideology of Hitler. Good times.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:18 pm

NOLA wrote:
NewUserName wrote:

Wasn't Bush's "axis of evil" talk considered a new approach to a North Korea that could no longer be ignored when they rattled the cage?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
NOLA wrote:
NewUserName wrote:nothing threatens our freedom quite like North Korea!! I think the administration has clearly shown that bullying will be the new diplomacy

Yeah, dealing with NK was inevitably going to come to a head at some point regardless of who was in the Oval Office; you could just hope it wouldn't be a collection of impulsive incompetents like these jamokes. Any answer to dealing with NK has to come from or go through China, period.

I probably am giving Trump too much credit, but this could be the reason that he did an about face on his pre-inauguration posturing on China.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:20 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:
NewUserName wrote:nothing threatens our freedom quite like North Korea!! I think the administration has clearly shown that bullying will be the new diplomacy

Wasn't Bush's "axis of evil" talk considered a new approach to a North Korea that could no longer be ignored when they rattled the cage?

True, but what exactly did he do any differently than Clinton? The difference now is that actually threaten our allies.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:23 pm

NOLA wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
NOLA wrote:It actually may be time to take a different approach to North Korea than we have in the past. They no longer can be considered a joke that is best ignored when they rattle the cage. I just don't trust these clowns in the White House to get it right.

I probably am giving Trump too much credit, but this could be the reason that he did an about face on his pre-inauguration posturing on China.

Possibly. I picture most of what Trump says resulting in something like this:

1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:26 pm

NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:It actually may be time to take a different approach to North Korea than we have in the past. They no longer can be considered a joke that is best ignored when they rattle the cage. I just don't trust these clowns in the White House to get it right.

True, but what exactly did he do any differently than Clinton? The difference now is that actually threaten our allies.

Plus Kim Jong-il, nutty as he was, was distinctly less bonkers than and more predictable/workable than his son has turned out to be. Kim Jong-il ultimately seemed to be mostly working the system to exploit it to enhance his own corruption; Jong-un seems to really believe the hype of his rhetoric.
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:34 pm

hell yes
7 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Can Soros, Buffet, Cuban, and Gates just pool all their resources and buy a state like the size of Maine where we can all live in a centralized urban area with a sweet ass train system, farmland, awesome doctors, thriving planned economy where conservatives aren't allowed?
0 x
Under the terrible burden of destiny laughing as a young man laughs...

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Mark Cuban is still the scumbag-type of rich guy, sulley. Don't be fooled.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Stannis wrote:Can Soros, Buffet, Cuban, and Gates just pool all their resources and buy a state like the size of Maine where we can all live in a centralized urban area with a sweet ass train system, farmland, awesome doctors, thriving planned economy where conservatives aren't allowed?

need some musk for part of that
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Stannis wrote:Can Soros, Buffet, Cuban, and Gates just pool all their resources and buy a state like the size of Maine where we can all live in a centralized urban area with a sweet ass train system, farmland, awesome doctors, thriving planned economy where conservatives aren't allowed?

need some musk for part of that

1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Return to “Social”