Politics & Current Events

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Banedon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Meet the Mercer family, who make the Koch brothers look like a couple of pikers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/mercer-bannon/

The champagne was flowing as hedge fund executive Robert Mercer and his daughter Rebekah hosted a reception during the Cannes Film Festival last May to promote “Clinton Cash,” a film by their political adviser Stephen K. Bannon and the production company they co-founded, Glittering Steel.

The Mercers, Republican mega-donors who had spent millions on the failed presidential bid of Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, and Bannon, then executive chairman of Breitbart News Network, were still weeks from formally aligning with Donald Trump’s campaign. But the festivities that balmy evening aboard the Sea Owl, the Mercers’ luxurious yacht, marked the growing influence of their financial and political partnership in shaping the 2016 campaign — and in encouraging the populist surge now reverberating around the world.

The Mercers’ approach is far different from that of other big donors. While better-known players such as the Koch brothers on the right and George Soros on the left focus on mobilizing activists and voters, the Mercers have exerted pressure on the political system by helping erect an alternative media ecosystem, whose storylines dominated the 2016 race.

Their alliance with Bannon provided fuel for the narrative that drove Trump’s victory: that dangerous immigrants are ruining the country and corrupt power brokers are sabotaging Washington.

Seriously though; people really, really should read that article.

Huffington Post had a similar piece a couple days ago. I admit, I never did finish it. It's lengthy.

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/mercers/
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:32 pm

I don't know how it could be done, but the next congress/President has to do away with Citizen's United.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:43 pm

CubinNY wrote:I don't know how it could be done, but the next congress/President has to do away with Citizen's United.

I think it would take a court challenge? Not sure what the White House or Congress could do
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Derwood wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I don't know how it could be done, but the next congress/President has to do away with Citizen's United.

I think it would take a court challenge? Not sure what the White House or Congress could do

Citizen's United was a USSC decision. No way to challenge that in court. Congress and the White House would have to change the law.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Citizen's United was a USSC decision. No way to challenge that in court. Congress and the White House would have to change the law.

I thought that if it was challenged in lower courts that it could make its way back to SCOTUS? I have no idea
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Thank baby Jesus for the Judicial branch in this country:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... court.html
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Trump approval at 37% according to Gallup. For reference, Nixon was at 29% on the day he resigned.

Sounds like it's time for a war.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 pm

CubinNY wrote:Trump approval at 37% according to Gallup. For reference, Nixon was at 29% on the day he resigned.

It certainly seems like we may be escalating in Syria and possibly North Korea. With a guy who gets bent over ratings for the New Apprentice.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:12 pm

CubinNY wrote:Trump approval at 37% according to Gallup. For reference, Nixon was at 29% on the day he resigned.

I think the general population is pretty cynical about war these days, so a big military action wouldn't drum up the sort of patriotic support that could flip his approval numbers
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Linda Preast has used a wheelchair since she had a stroke two years ago and now relies on Meals on Wheels, a service that provides food to millions of people with disabilities and the elderly. The 56-year-old Georgia resident never envisioned when she voted for President Donald Trump that he’d propose slashing funding for the programs.

“Are you surprised?” CBS News correspondent Michelle Miller asked Preast at her home in Jones County Saturday.

“Yeah,” Preast said. “Because he was told ― I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/one ... 3o1mm42t9&

Side note: I have no idea why they put that story on that url, but it's right...lol
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Banedon wrote:
Linda Preast has used a wheelchair since she had a stroke two years ago and now relies on Meals on Wheels, a service that provides food to millions of people with disabilities and the elderly. The 56-year-old Georgia resident never envisioned when she voted for President Donald Trump that he’d propose slashing funding for the programs.

“Are you surprised?” CBS News correspondent Michelle Miller asked Preast at her home in Jones County Saturday.

“Yeah,” Preast said. “Because he was told ― I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

Side note: I have no idea why they put that story on that url, but it's right...lol

It would be easy to make fun of these people and bask in the schadenfreude but really they just make me sad. They voted for the monorail and now the con man is gone with all their money
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Derwood wrote:
Banedon wrote:

It would be easy to make fun of these people and bask in the schadenfreude but really they just make me sad. They voted for the monorail and now the con man is gone with all their money
no, they voted for the horsefeathers bigot and wanted him to ruin other people's lives,
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:21 pm

many, yes, but not all. We can say they were stupid to think that the NYC billionaire gave two craps about the working class, but that doesn't mean I get any enjoyment out of the resulting misery
1 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 am

1 x

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:26 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:

If I'm the Democrats, I start running ads like this now. Start planting the seeds. This guy wants to wants to your taxes the same, lower them for the top 10%, while raising health insurance premiums and interest rates so he can spend 1 billion in 4 years golfing in Florida and watching Trump Tower.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:01 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:

That man never thought he'd win.
0 x

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Why is it that all black trump supporters either wear cowboy hats or wear 1980's style ray-bans and have geri-curls?
0 x
Under the terrible burden of destiny laughing as a young man laughs...

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:24 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:

Trump rarely leaves the upstairs sofa.
0 x

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:43 pm

So, the Republican holdouts in Congress who say that TrumpCare looks too much like Obamacare, they don't actually think that, right? They're holding out because it will get them canned.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Funny how Director Comey was Mr. loose lips pre-election but now he's the king of discretion and procedure
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Derwood wrote:Funny how Director Comey was Mr. loose lips pre-election but now he's the king of discretion and procedure

you talking about the part where he confirmed the FBI was investigating Trump's links to Russia?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Derwood wrote:Funny how Director Comey was Mr. loose lips pre-election but now he's the king of discretion and procedure

Well he was ripped pretty hard after the whole Hillary email thing.
0 x

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Minus Comey stating Trump did collude with the Russians, this is going about as well as it could.
0 x

Go from Red to Blue.

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Stannis wrote:So, the Republican holdouts in Congress who say that TrumpCare looks too much like Obamacare, they don't actually think that, right? They're holding out because it will get them canned.

It keeps their hands clean.

They look extra-conservative to their base. Gives them an out-clause to those who will lose their insurance or have it skyrocket in price.

More importantly once Trumpcare gets to the Senate, it will look completely different and they can easily say that I would not have voted for it.

But, they don't give a damn about those who die prematurely because of inadequate health care or lose their house due to medical bills.
0 x

Go from Red to Blue.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Trey Gowdy's voice and tone...

0 x

Return to “Social”