Postby CubinNY » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 am

The stable genius is at it again.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:28 am

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart- ... res-2018-1

Walmart is closing 63 Sam's Club stores across the US, the company told Business Insider on Thursday afternoon, after reports of abrupt store closings began to emerge.

Sam's Club has not said how many employees are losing their jobs. Each Sam's Club warehouse employs about 175 people, meaning more than 11,000 people could be impacted.

In some cases, employees were not told their store had closed before showing up to work on Thursday. Those employees learned their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closing, Sam's Club workers told Business Insider. At some stores, employees were turned away by police officers.

Ten of the affected stores will be turned into e-commerce distribution centers, and employees of those stores will have the opportunity to reapply for positions at those locations, a Walmart official said.

The closings came on the same day Walmart announced plans to raise starting hourly wages to $11, expand employee benefits, and offer workers bonuses of up to $1,000.

Some Sam's Club employees were informed of the closings via notices that were sent through FedEx on Thursday.

"FedEx showed up at my door with a package from Sam's Club and I was thinking that maybe it was my W-2," Nic Townsend, an employee of a Sacramento, California Sam's Club, told Business Insider. "It was a letter saying they are closing down... I'm unsure of what to do I have a baby and a mentally sick mother. I'm lost. I'm heartbroken. I'm scared."

Three of the closures are in hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico.

"The Barceloneta, Puerto Rico store closed without notice — over 950 people without jobs," Eliezer Cabrera, a Sam's Club shopper, told Business Insider. "This is the last thing Puerto Rico needed after Hurricane Maria devastated the island."
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:28 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:If you're thinking, "hasn't this happened before?", yes, yes it has. More people around to hear it this time; the WH press op. denied it last time.

hahahahaha who would come here from norway right now. we're a horsefeathers country
4 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

Walmart is closing 63 Sam's Club stores across the US, the company told Business Insider on Thursday afternoon, after reports of abrupt store closings began to emerge.

Sam's Club has not said how many employees are losing their jobs. Each Sam's Club warehouse employs about 175 people, meaning more than 11,000 people could be impacted.

In some cases, employees were not told their store had closed before showing up to work on Thursday. Those employees learned their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closing, Sam's Club workers told Business Insider. At some stores, employees were turned away by police officers.

Ten of the affected stores will be turned into e-commerce distribution centers, and employees of those stores will have the opportunity to reapply for positions at those locations, a Walmart official said.

The closings came on the same day Walmart announced plans to raise starting hourly wages to $11, expand employee benefits, and offer workers bonuses of up to $1,000.

Some Sam's Club employees were informed of the closings via notices that were sent through FedEx on Thursday.

"FedEx showed up at my door with a package from Sam's Club and I was thinking that maybe it was my W-2," Nic Townsend, an employee of a Sacramento, California Sam's Club, told Business Insider. "It was a letter saying they are closing down... I'm unsure of what to do I have a baby and a mentally sick mother. I'm lost. I'm heartbroken. I'm scared."

"The Barceloneta, Puerto Rico store closed without notice — over 950 people without jobs," Eliezer Cabrera, a Sam's Club shopper, told Business Insider. "This is the last thing Puerto Rico needed after Hurricane Maria devastated the island."

And the administration, of course, really can't/won't see the forest for the trees with this one:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart- ... ump-2018-1

Trump administration officials on Thursday praised Walmart for increasing wages and delivering bonuses to employees, even as the company laid off thousands of other workers and closed stores on the same day.

Walmart had announced early in the day that it would increase its minimum wage for employees to $11 an hour and give longtime employees a $1,000 bonus in part because of the recently passed Republican tax law.

White House officials quickly jumped on the news from Walmart to highlight the positive benefits of the tax law.

"Huge news! Truly amazing and inspiring to witness the tax cuts lifting millions of hardworking Americans up," tweeted White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin also praised the Walmart decision during the White House's daily press briefing.

"I'd also like to highlight the announcement this morning from Walmart, we want to thank them," said Mnuchin. "They will be increasing their minimum wages, issuing bonuses, and expanding family benefits for over a million employees. Walmart is the latest company to make such an announcement as a direct result of the Tax Cuts act."

While the White House praised the move by the company, there was little mention of a second announcement from the company.

Business Insider's Hayley Peterson reported that Walmart is closing 63 Sam's Club stores, likely leading to thousands of employee layoffs. There are about 150 employees at each location that is set to be closed.

When asked about the closures, Sanders declined to comment on the layoffs and said the White House was "excited" about the wage increases.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 am

I avoid linking to WSJ, because any Murdoch endeavor can go DIAFF, but this is, well...

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:35 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I avoid linking to WSJ, because any Murdoch endeavor can go DIAFF, but this is, well...

He keeps saying that he's only run for president one time. You almost have to admire his brazen lying in the face of a five second Google search proving him wrong
0 x

philosophizer75
Starter

Postby philosophizer75 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 am

I made it halfway before putting it down for a while. Trump is the most muddled speaker I've ever seen. Not news, I know.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

And the administration, of course, really can't/won't see the forest for the trees with this one:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart- ... ump-2018-1

Trump administration officials on Thursday praised Walmart for increasing wages and delivering bonuses to employees, even as the company laid off thousands of other workers and closed stores on the same day.

Walmart had announced early in the day that it would increase its minimum wage for employees to $11 an hour and give longtime employees a $1,000 bonus in part because of the recently passed Republican tax law.

White House officials quickly jumped on the news from Walmart to highlight the positive benefits of the tax law.

"Huge news! Truly amazing and inspiring to witness the tax cuts lifting millions of hardworking Americans up," tweeted White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin also praised the Walmart decision during the White House's daily press briefing.

"I'd also like to highlight the announcement this morning from Walmart, we want to thank them," said Mnuchin. "They will be increasing their minimum wages, issuing bonuses, and expanding family benefits for over a million employees. Walmart is the latest company to make such an announcement as a direct result of the Tax Cuts act."

While the White House praised the move by the company, there was little mention of a second announcement from the company.

Business Insider's Hayley Peterson reported that Walmart is closing 63 Sam's Club stores, likely leading to thousands of employee layoffs. There are about 150 employees at each location that is set to be closed.

When asked about the closures, Sanders declined to comment on the layoffs and said the White House was "excited" about the wage increases.

BUT WAIT; THERE'S MORE:

http://www.newsweek.com/comcast-fired-5 ... ses-771789

Just two weeks before Christmas, hundreds of Comcast door-to-door salespeople were called into company offices and fired from their jobs, it has emerged, just after the telecommunications giant announced it would be giving out $1,000 bonuses to staffers thanks to a major tax cut.

The firings are reported to have occurred around the same time AT&T announced it would laying off and firing nearly 600 workers, also right before Christmas. Unlike the bonuses, the layoffs were not announced, but instead gleaned from documents seen by the Philadelphia Inquirer, Daily News and Philly.com.

Comcast spokesperson Jenni Moyer told Newsweek: “Periodically, we reorganize groups of employees and adjust our sales tactics and talent.

WEIRD. It's almost like when gigantic companies give out what amounts to pennies from their bottom line as tiny wage increases and bonuses, and then act like they've done everyone the most generous, thoughtful favor the world has ever known, it's actually like they're completely full of horsefeathers. HUH.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:07 am

Derwood wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:I avoid linking to WSJ, because any Murdoch endeavor can go DIAFF, but this is, well...

He keeps saying that he's only run for president one time. You almost have to admire his brazen lying in the face of a five second Google search proving him wrong

In his head. He doesn't count the first time because he never truly ran. He was the reform party candidate. The party wasn’t real. It's just like when he's at the tee and hits a bad shot and takes a second shot and doesn't count it. Or the third chip to the green after the first two drubbed. It's how he justifies things to himself that he's not really lying.

He's a horsefeathering madman
Last edited by CubinNY on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:11 am

He has a lot in common with certain North Korean leaders
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:12 am

The next time he tells someone that he won on the first try, whoever is interviewing him should loudly, excitedly interrupt "Just like Obama!"
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:20 am

Banedon wrote:The next time he tells someone that he won on the first try, whoever is interviewing him should loudly, excitedly interrupt "Just like Obama!"

But Trump did it against the best field ever as a Republican, for whom it's almost impossible to win the rigged electoral college.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 am

One of the symptoms of his particular mental illness is that he *enjoys* lying like that. It's a sign of his dominance and greatness that he can openly lie and all the lesser people around him (which is everyone, because he's a winner and they aren't) have no choice but to agree.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:30 am

3 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:One of the symptoms of his particular mental illness is that he *enjoys* lying like that. It's a sign of his dominance and greatness that he can openly lie and all the lesser people around him (which is everyone, because he's a winner and they aren't) have no choice but to agree.

He may be mentally ill, but more than anything else, he’s just a stupid, stupid man.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:04 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

In all seriousness, I'm very happy that CNN didn't censor the word tonight. The more you use it, the more it shows how ridiculous the quote is. Hell, even Bernie Sanders said it on Cuomo. Good for them
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:41 am

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:One of the symptoms of his particular mental illness is that he *enjoys* lying like that. It's a sign of his dominance and greatness that he can openly lie and all the lesser people around him (which is everyone, because he's a winner and they aren't) have no choice but to agree.

He may be mentally ill, but more than anything else, he’s just a stupid, stupid man.

No, hes mentally ill and the worse kind of mentally ill

And he has money
0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:27 am

I'm surprised the POTUS didn't include Puerto Rico in those horsefeathers countries.
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 am

trump isn’t going to the UK, but he had to find a different excuse than “everyone there hates me”, so...

It may surprise you to learn that almost nothing in this tweet was true.

0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:15 am

CubInOK wrote:I'm surprised the POTUS didn't include Puerto Rico in those horsefeathers countries.

That's because he thinks it's a state now.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:20 am

Man, imagine being a son of Indian (I.e., clearly a country that trump would consider a shïthole) parents and still being willing to go out and defend obviously racist comments from an incompetent white supremacist moron. Talk about a complete lack of self-respect and dignity.
1 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 am

1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:trump isn’t going to the UK, but he had to find a different excuse than “everyone there hates me”, so...

It may surprise you to learn that almost nothing in this tweet was true.

Like most of his voters, he will always blame Black people for his own problems.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:20 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:https://youtu.be/aTzqvrBFXww

Question? Will CNN get fined by the FCC for "horsefeathers"
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Brian707 wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:https://youtu.be/aTzqvrBFXww

Question? Will CNN get fined by the FCC for "horsefeathers"

Nah, I don't think so. The FCC doesn't police language on cable networks.

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/gu ... fanity-faq

Do the FCC's rules apply to cable and satellite programming? In the past, the FCC has enforced the indecency and profanity prohibitions only against conventional broadcast services, not against subscription programming services such as cable and satellite. However, the prohibition against obscene programming applies to subscription programming services at all times.
0 x

Return to “Social”