Politics & Current Events

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 64236
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3180
x 3341

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Late Monday, casual dining chain Red Robin Gourmet Burgers (RRGB) announced that it would eliminate bus boys at 570 restaurant locations, a move that is expected to save the company an estimated $8 million over the course of the coming year. The company’s chief financial officer said the decision was made in order to “address the labor increases we’ve seen.”

“I read that as minimum wage,” Michael Saltsman, director of the Employment Policies Institute (EPI), told FOX Business. “Somebody like Red Robin, which has a lot of exposure in western states [where the minimum wage is rising faster] … this is sort of a burger and beer chain. If they can’t pass those increases off in higher prices … they have to find a way to do more with less.”
0 x
Image

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 1981
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 298
x 465

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Brian707 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Red Robin sucks. $14 for mediocre burgers. Raise their prices by 50 cents to pay their bus boys. The rubes still will come, every time I am dragged to one its packed. Also their craft beer list is basically Goose Island and Lineys
0 x

User avatar
Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star
Posts: 1532
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:19 pm
Location: Ukrainian Village
x 796
x 495

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:45 pm

So who buses the tables then? Servers? Then aren't the entitled to minimum wage rather than the BS $4 an hour that servers typically make? I've gotten a few small class action settlement checks over the past couple years from Applebee's because they got in trouble during the brief time I worked there after college for having servers do work that falls under the responsibility of minimum wage workers. I think it was specifically related to having servers answer phones and seat guests, but this seems like a similar scenario.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 64236
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3180
x 3341

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:47 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:So who buses the tables then? Servers? Then aren't the entitled to minimum wage rather than the BS $4 an hour that servers typically make? I've gotten a few small class action settlement checks over the past couple years from Applebee's because they got in trouble during the brief time I worked there after college for having servers do work that falls under the responsibility of minimum wage workers. I think it was specifically related to having servers answer phones and seat guests, but this seems like a similar scenario.


Yeah I dunno. I was wondering if hostesses and managers maybe would do it? Hostesses primarily stand around anyway.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 71205
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6312
x 8304

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Guys; it's OK; they'll use that extra money to make jobs.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21492
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 107
x 268

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Somehow through all of this Trump's approval numbers are rising.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 64236
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3180
x 3341

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:57 pm

Not great, Joe.

0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 71205
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6312
x 8304

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:09 pm

CubinNY wrote:Somehow through all of this Trump's approval numbers are rising.


Makes sense; a year's gone by, which normalizes things (even a situation this absurd) for a lot of people. More people look around and think, "hey, that first year wasn't SO bad" and decide that means the president is doing at least a tolerable job. Plus you had the holidays, and people focus even less on politics, and in terms of Trump being Trump, nothing truly new has really happened. He's "normalized" in the sense that he is what he is for more and more people, and because things didn't immediately go to horsefeathers in the first year then magically it's not as bad.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73340
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2002
x 2867
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Banedon wrote:Not great, Joe.



a guy well known for putting his foot in his mouth occasionally...but the right will be like "LOOK YOUR GUY IS MENTALLY ILL AND RACIST TOO BASED ON WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT TRUMP" ignoring that Trump says/does these things repeatedly basically everyday.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
All-Star
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 51
x 754

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Re: Trump's rising approval #'s

This is why I continue to beat the drum of loud resistance. Normalization can happen any number of ways, but things like media "getting tired" of asking/probing about various things is at least a part of it. Hell, an openly racist, Trump supporting distant cousin of mine was crowing at Christmas about the fact media no longer asks about Trump's tax returns as meaning it is not a story of consequence. His dimwit fiancée sat there nodding, "yeah, since when does that trash stop acting like dogs on a bone if it's a big story?"

----------------------


0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 65328
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 534
x 1215

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 pm

The White House didn't even try denying his comments, as they said "It's cool, it'll play to his base". They don't even care
0 x

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 1981
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 298
x 465

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Brian707 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Derwood wrote:The White House didn't even try denying his comments, as they said "It's cool, it'll play to his base". They don't even care



Who else are they going to play to? They have never played to anyone but them since the election
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 71205
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6312
x 8304

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Re: Trump's rising approval #'s

This is why I continue to beat the drum of loud resistance. Normalization can happen any number of ways, but things like media "getting tired" of asking/probing about various things is at least a part of it. Hell, an openly racist, Trump supporting distant cousin of mine was crowing at Christmas about the fact media no longer asks about Trump's tax returns as meaning it is not a story of consequence. His dimwit fiancée sat there nodding, "yeah, since when does that trash stop acting like dogs on a bone if it's a big story?"

----------------------




Some things are going to inherently fall by the wayside for periods of time given the sheer volume of unbelievable nonsense this administration spews or gets caught in, so I don't think that plays as big a part of normalizing things as you might be fearing. I think your anecdote does, however, speak to what does normalize him in that as long as he simply stays in office and nothing "happens" to him, then he's effectively "winning" as more and more time goes on just by surviving. It's a mix of people who truly support him and people on the Right who shrug their shoulders and think, "well, he's made it this far and things didn't collapse, so whatever; at least he's not a liberal."

Plus the tax returns really are arguably a story of little consequence unless they end up playing a role in Muller's investigations; he has no requirement to release them, so someone asking about them every day doesn't really serve to do much except to give him and his sycophants an opportunity to "shove it in the fake news MSM's face," or whatever gets 'em off.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 65328
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 534
x 1215

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Brian707 wrote:
Derwood wrote:The White House didn't even try denying his comments, as they said "It's cool, it'll play to his base". They don't even care



Who else are they going to play to? They have never played to anyone but them since the election


My point was that this wasn't the typical "blow dog whistle, deny deny deny, rinse, repeat" we get. Instead, they said "yep, he said it, and his supporters love it, so tough [expletive]."
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 71205
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6312
x 8304

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 pm

And nevermind that the focus is shifted pointlessly to whether or not these countries are horsefeathers when the real issue is that this clod couldn't process why people would want to come here from a better life, and why people from other countries for whom moving here would be a lateral move at worst don't come here in greater numbers. Forget how mean he was to some other countries; this is just basic common sense and empathy stuff his brain can't even process.
1 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
All-Star
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 51
x 754

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:36 pm

***I didn't bother to fact check this, so it's possible this is b.s. Probably not, though.***

0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
All-Star
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 51
x 754

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:43 pm

0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
All-Star
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 51
x 754

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:46 pm


0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73340
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2002
x 2867
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:50 pm



Image
1 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 65328
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 534
x 1215

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 pm

I'm surprised he hasn't started just pulling his pecker out, LBJ style
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 71205
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6312
x 8304

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:16 pm

LBJ did it because he was running around with a python in his pants.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 65328
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 534
x 1215

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:LBJ did it because he was running around with a python in his pants.


You don't think Trump thinks he's packing heat?
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 71205
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 6312
x 8304

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:LBJ did it because he was running around with a python in his pants.


You don't think Trump thinks he's packing heat?


Nope. I think it's painfully obvious that that realization/frustration is a major driving force as to why he is what he is.
2 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49005
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 346
x 986

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Somehow through all of this Trump's approval numbers are rising.


Makes sense; a year's gone by, which normalizes things (even a situation this absurd) for a lot of people. More people look around and think, "hey, that first year wasn't SO bad" and decide that means the president is doing at least a tolerable job. Plus you had the holidays, and people focus even less on politics, and in terms of Trump being Trump, nothing truly new has really happened. He's "normalized" in the sense that he is what he is for more and more people, and because things didn't immediately go to horsefeathers in the first year then magically it's not as bad.


I can't recall who it was (I wanna say Gallup) stopped doing such frequent polls, and notably conservative Rasmussen has had a larger impact on recent numbers. He's not gonna sit at -20 or worse and that's that, but the "rise" doesn't mean he's heading to 45% approval.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 65328
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 534
x 1215

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:LBJ did it because he was running around with a python in his pants.


You don't think Trump thinks he's packing heat?


Nope. I think it's painfully obvious that that realization/frustration is a major driving force as to why he is what he is.


Oh, I think it's a driving force behind everything as well, but he lies to himself about everything else (business acumen, golf game, leadership, hand size) that I figured he had convinced himself over the years that he was John Holmes
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DiceMan4221 and 4 guests