Politics & Current Events

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:04 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Holy horsefeathering horsefeathers.

It’s just how people talk down here. He has no clue how nakedly racist he is.

I guarantee you someone named Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III knows EXACTLY how racist he is.
9 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:14 pm

I understand to a certain extent how frustrating it must be to sit in the press room every day, but these people have to get better at calling Sanders/Trump/etc out on their total hypocrisy/lies/[expletive]. They basically just asked the same question 8 different times, and Sanders kept falling back on the 'due process' line Trump used over the weekend. This is the same guy who accused Obama of being a foreigner for years, who has spent the last year discrediting the ongoing Russia investigation, and someone who is on record as still believing the Central Park 5 is guilty ever after they were exonerated. The hypocrisy is so obvious and I would have loved to have her defend it just once.

If the White House is going to essentially declare war on the media, fight back. These briefings should just be the reporters fact checking all the clearly wrong things Trump says and forcing the WH to either backtrack or double down on him being an idiot.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Well, part of it is that a press secretary is largely just a PR position; grilling her accomplishes nothing beyond antagonizing her since all she does is parrot the information that's been given her. Outside of the superficial satisfaction from that, it's not like you're going to somehow make her crack and spill the beans or something. The whole thing is just one big ceremony.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 pm

People on Facebook are losing their minds about the "awesomeness" of the Obama portrait, but I think it's weird as horsefeathers
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:50 pm

His is great. Hers is really cool outside of the whole, "the face looks nothing like her"-part.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Well, part of it is that a press secretary is largely just a PR position; grilling her accomplishes nothing beyond antagonizing her since all she does is parrot the information that's been given her. Outside of the superficial satisfaction from that, it's not like you're going to somehow make her crack and spill the beans or something. The whole thing is just one big ceremony.

I think it would go a long way in combating the constant narrative from Trump/the White House that the media is always wrong and you, essentially, should only trust what comes from them. Call out all dog whistle statements (him making up how visa lotteries work) and ask for hard evidence to back it up. When he quotes statistics he clearly just made up, ask for proof of those numbers. Essentially, just make them admit, at some point, they've done or said something wrong. You're right, part of it is just a spiteful satisfaction, but I think they just make it too easy for her to repeat the same talking points and get out of giving any actual answers.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Well, part of it is that a press secretary is largely just a PR position; grilling her accomplishes nothing beyond antagonizing her since all she does is parrot the information that's been given her. Outside of the superficial satisfaction from that, it's not like you're going to somehow make her crack and spill the beans or something. The whole thing is just one big ceremony.

I think it would go a long way in combating the constant narrative from Trump/the White House that the media is always wrong and you, essentially, should only trust what comes from them. Call out all dog whistle statements (him making up how visa lotteries work) and ask for hard evidence to back it up. When he quotes statistics he clearly just made up, ask for proof of those numbers. Essentially, just make them admit, at some point, they've done or said something wrong. You're right, part of it is just a spiteful satisfaction, but I think they just make it too easy for her to repeat the same talking points and get out of giving any actual answers.

She'd just say something, like, "we have no further comment at this time," and that's it. She's just a mouthpiece.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Someone sent white powder to the Trump sons. Turned out to be nothing, but Donnie Jr's wife went to the hospital because of nausea after opening it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/va ... mg00000009
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Holy horsefeathering horsefeathers.

It’s just how people talk down here. He has no clue how nakedly racist he is.

0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 pm

A reporter who calls them out on their horsefeathers would probably get their access revoked and then be called a traitor or something on Twitter by the President which is supes normal.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Does this matter? Even if you could catch them in some sorts gotcha moment it wouldn't matter. The mandate from their supporters isn't based on fact. Fact is based on how something makes you feel. It doesn't matter how technically sound you understand the subject matter if you don't understand the actual underlying issue (ie- Bush-Clinton debate and Clinton understanding a question about the debt and how it personally affects people, was better understood as a question about the economy... except in this case it's like 90% social anxiety masked as economic anxiety or whatever).
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 am

Sanders and the rest of the Oval Office are just going to lie about the Porter timeline until the press finds a new horsefeathers up to ask about.

It’s not about the wife beater, it’s about mishandling classified documents. It is just really amazing to me that all the stuff they hammered Clinton (Both Bill and Hillary) for is coming back on them times 10.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Does this matter? Even if you could catch them in some sorts gotcha moment it wouldn't matter. The mandate from their supporters isn't based on fact. Fact is based on how something makes you feel.

And this is why I'm sadly fairly confident that the Mueller investigation (or anything else) won't result in getting Trump out of office before 2021. That hinges on the GOP being willing to push him out, but I don't see how Trump ever falls to a point where enough Republican voters disapprove of him for the party to be willing to make the necessary moves. He's as teflon as it gets with this automatic fake news/I'm the ultimate victim-response that he and his administration can roll out since it works with enough Republicans/conservatives every single time.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Does this matter? Even if you could catch them in some sorts gotcha moment it wouldn't matter. The mandate from their supporters isn't based on fact. Fact is based on how something makes you feel.

And this is why I'm sadly fairly confident that the Mueller investigation (or anything else) won't result in getting Trump out of office before 2021. That hinges on the GOP being willing to push him out, but I don't see how Trump ever falls to a point where enough Republican voters disapprove of him for the party to be willing to make the necessary moves. He's as teflon as it gets with this automatic fake news/I'm the ultimate victim-response that he and his administration can roll out since it works with enough Republicans/conservatives every single time.
I actually think the Mueller investigation could, but it would have to be pretty bad to the point that I prefer it actually isn't that bad.

The more general problem is that even in a scenario where Trump is taken down, that belief system isn't going away.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm

There's a good chance it's more spiteful than anything else at this point, it just seems like the WH and places like Fox News take delight in pointing out every time the "MSM" makes a mistake in it's reporting. And then you have things like Trump's DACA tweet from a few days ago, which had like three different parts that were easily proven factually incorrect, and it doesn't even get questioned. I get that these Press Briefings are more symbolic, but if of the highlights coming out showed Sanders on the defensive instead of her insulting the 'fake news' media for asking the same question six times in a row without giving a real answer...I just think it'd show a crack in the armor.

I know, way more important things to worry about. But just a daily source of frustration now that I'm working from home a lot more now.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

squally1313 wrote: I know, way more important things to worry about. But just a daily source of frustration now that I'm working from home a lot more now.

Honestly, just don't watch it. I see MAYBE an hour of TV news a week, if that, and it's hugely helped keep me from getting even more stressed out from this nightmare. And that includes all of the various news comedy shows, too; I haven't watched any of them in who knows how long.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I actually think the Mueller investigation could, but it would have to be pretty bad to the point that I prefer it actually isn't that bad.

The more general problem is that even in a scenario where Trump is taken down, that belief system isn't going away.

Yeah, the damage has been done, Pandora's box has been opened, etc., etc., etc.. There's zero chance in hell you don't see most Republicans taking advantage of at least a watered down version of how Trump and co. deflect everything that comes their way.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:29 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:49 pm

The parents of a Republican Senate hopeful in Wisconsin have maxed out donations to the primary campaign of the Democrat he hopes to unseat.

Just months after Republican Kevin Nicholson announced his bid to run against incumbent Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) in 2018, Nicholson’s own parents donated the legal maximum to Baldwin’s primary campaign, CNN reports.

2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Heard this story on NPR yesterday

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/12/58498069 ... n-watchdog

I shouldn't be shocked that Trump appointed someone to run a department after said person openly attacked the department and tried to take it down. I also shouldn't be surprised that The appointee is now dropping lawsuits filed by the department against companies that made campaign contributions to the appointee's campaign.

But here I am, pissed off yet again
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Yeah, the damage has been done, Pandora's box has been opened, etc., etc., etc.. There's zero chance in hell you don't see most Republicans taking advantage of at least a watered down version of how Trump and co. deflect everything that comes their way.

Trump isn't even anew phenomena, he's just the most brazen and "successful" at it. Although he also helped fuel it long before he was an actual candidate as well.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Banedon wrote:
The parents of a Republican Senate hopeful in Wisconsin have maxed out donations to the primary campaign of the Democrat he hopes to unseat.

Just months after Republican Kevin Nicholson announced his bid to run against incumbent Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) in 2018, Nicholson’s own parents donated the legal maximum to Baldwin’s primary campaign, CNN reports.

I really really enjoy this post.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Banedon wrote:

So he's the mayor of Portland?
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:57 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Now that Obama broke the mold of "over-serious president in dark suit" portraits, you know Trump is going to want something insanely tacky and cringey. If he lives that long, of course
0 x

Return to “Social”