Politics & Current Events

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:
Derwood wrote:So what's the deal with this Kavanaugh mother-lover? I can only assume he's awful

He will vote the way that the Republican Party wants him to vote, same as anybody else they would have nominated.

That doesn't sound good enough for Trump. He needs to be a real scumbag to get Two-Scoops' attention
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:22 am

PosterToBeNamedLater wrote:
Derwood wrote:So what's the deal with this Kavanaugh mother-lover? I can only assume he's awful

Isn't he the one who said indicting a sitting president would cripple the country and shouldn't be done. I am sure trump didn't care at all about that.

From the brief info I read about him on WaPo, he appears to be a guy who believes the President should have tons of executive power over the government, so...

Kind of a no-brainer why Trump likes him
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:52 am

0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:31 am

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:18 am

0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:31 pm

The Logan wrote:
PosterToBeNamedLater wrote:

Isn't he the one who said indicting a sitting president would cripple the country and shouldn't be done. I am sure trump didn't care at all about that.

From the brief info I read about him on WaPo, he appears to be a guy who believes the President should have tons of executive power over the government, so...

Kind of a no-brainer why Trump likes him

His name is Kavanov in Russian.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Derwood wrote:

Also applies to gerrymandering and voter suppression. The only ways these horsefeathers humans are relevant anymore. This country is beyond repair, especially when a good segment of the population is so horsefeathering brainwashed, don't have a pot to piss in and continue to go to the voting booth for the GOP
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Also, your first public remarks after being selected is an outright, obvious lie. So much for all the integrity conservatives have been insisting this man has. Bending the knee to a wannbe autocrat like the rest of the GOP.

1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ho ... 538twitter

According to one prominent measure of judicial ideology, called Judicial Common Space scores, Kavanaugh would fall to the right of Gorsuch and Justice Samuel Alito, and just to the left of archconservative Justice Clarence Thomas. That score is based not on Kavanaugh’s rulings but rather on the nomination and confirmation process. Typically, these scores are based in part on the ideology of a judge’s home-state senators, but because Kavanaugh served on the D.C. circuit and D.C. does not have any senators, his ideology score is based solely on the president who nominated him, George W. Bush.

Huh? What a terrible way to assess a Judge's jurisprudence. So if Ginsburg were from Texas and not from New York she'd be to the right of Gorsuch?

Wish they'd have a metric that would measure his actual past decisions. That would actually be helpful in figuring out where this guy is going to land on certain issues.

Kavanaugh seems like a Republican yes-man and is a pretty religious, which is a pretty gross double whammy, but it could have been much worse I think.
2 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 pm

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Trump pardons the Bundy ranchers because of course he does
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 pm

0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Kavanaugh introduces himself

Trump stands behind him

Kavanaugh tells the story of being in the White House on 9/11 when they were told to evacuate.

Trump smiles widely
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Derwood wrote:Trump pardons the Bundy ranchers because of course he does

Law and order MY A$$
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:07 pm

I can't believe he finds new ways to make me want him to die in a fire.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

It's just a skipping record at this point, but imaging Obama trying to get away with some version of these pardons AND all the smoke around Trump & Kennedy IN THE SAME horsefeathering week makes my head spin. The Right would have lost their mind and stormed the damn White House.
1 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:53 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

It's just a skipping record at this point, but imaging Obama trying to get away with some version of these pardons AND all the smoke around Trump & Kennedy IN THE SAME horsefeathering week makes my head spin. The Right would have lost their mind and stormed the damn White House.

One nice thing the Right has is Fox News to pick the angle that every other conservative talking head is going to run with.

“Oh...you say Kennedy’s son was head of global real estate banking at Deutsche, Trump’s biggest real estate lender during a worldwide recession when nobody else would lend him money? You say it’s possible some of those funds were used for illegal activity? Hmm that could create some conflicts of interest in a Supreme Court proceedings in the constitutionality of sweeping presidential pardons.

Wait wait wait....you say we’re not sure of all the connections yet. Welp...let’s sit on that a while, see what happens and run this killer story about how Kennedy giving input on his replacement was a “secret deal.” Drum it up real nice and confuse people about what they’re supposed to be outraged about!”

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-anthony ... d59473ecf/

That story is on the front page of reddit and a bunch like it are in the front page of r/politics. If you handed something like the Justin Kennedy thing to Fox they would hammer it mercilessly every day until the end of time. And they would start before they had all the facts, filling in the blanks.

You’re right that it is crazy how much stuff happens in a week these days (does the 4th of July in Russia still count) but man, the news outlets have got to start covering stories better. Even if you don’t have every bit of info on the Justin Kennedy thing give us what you do know. Consistently because the news cycles are going to keep cycling. And it deserves at least a passing reference in every article like the one above until it gets categorically proven to be baseless.

Wish in one hand, horsefeathers in the other I guess. If we do get the whole story and it is as shady as it seems I hope that affords the Dems the opportunity to pack the courts out in a way that reflects the will of the people. The last few years have shown me at least that a 9 person panel of lifetime appointees is too easy to manipulate. Fingers crossed on everything. Gotta figure some way to help get out the vote later this year.

Beto might be a good place to start. Win the Senate along with the house and things become a lot easier. But I saw some 18 year old post something on Reddit about what he’s doing. Was inspiring. I’ll post it in another post so I can avoid breaking 10,000 words in this one.
Last edited by Thrilho on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Thrilho wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

One nice thing the Right has is Fox News to pick the angle that every other conservative talking head is going to run with.

“Oh...you say Kennedy’s son was head of global real estate banking at Deutsche, Trump’s biggest real estate lender during a worldwide recession when nobody else would lend him money? You say it’s possible some of those funds were used for illegal activity? Hmm that could create some conflicts of interest in a Supreme Court proceedings in the constitutionality of sweeping presidential pardons.

Wait wait wait....you say we’re not sure of all the connections yet. Welp...let’s sit on that a while, see what happens and run this killer story about how Kennedy giving input on his replacement was a “secret deal.”. Drum it up real nice and confuse people about what they’re supposed to be outraged about!”

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-anthony ... d59473ecf/

That story is on the front page of reddit and a bunch like it are in the front page of r/politics. If you handed something like the Justin Kennedy thing to Fox they would hammer it mercilessly every day until the end of time. And they would start before they had all the facts, filling in the blanks.

You’re right that it is crazy how much stuff happens in a week these days (does the 4th of July in Russia still count) but man, the news outlets have got to start covering stories better. Even if you don’t have every bit of info on the Justin Kennedy thing give us what you do know. Consistently because the news cycles are going to keep cycling. And it deserves at least a passing reference in every article like the one above until it gets categorically proven to be baseless.

Wish in one hand, horsefeathers in the other I guess. If we do get the whole story and it is as shady as it seems and I hope that affords the Dems the opportunity to pack the courts out in a way that reflects the will of the people. The last few years have shown me at least that a 9 person panel of lifetime appointees is too easy to manipulate. Fingers crossed on everything. Gotta figure some way to help get out the vote later this year.

Beto might be a good place to start. Win the Senate along with the house and things become a lot easier. But I saw some 18 year old post something on Reddit about what he’s doing. Was inspiring. I’ll post it in another post so I can avoid breaking 10,000 words in this one.

It is pure balls to wall insanity that the Trump/Kennedy thing is barely a blip; I can't even process how much horsefeathers up horsefeathers has been normalized by this whole debacle. When Scalia died you had mainstream people on the Right losing their minds to the point of making up conspiracy theories out of whole cloth that he had been killed, but with Kennedy everything just keeps chugging along despite the chorus of klaxons going off. Like, it's not even a matter of having to dig for it; the rot is right horsefeathering there on the surface and can be seen from horsefeathering space.

I long ago lost the ability to think too long about the state of things without feeling like I'm going to have a serious depressive swing.
1 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:03 pm

You said it man. Nobody even wants to talk about it because it’s too damn depressing. I just hope that they come out to vote and that the vote hasn’t been fully rigged by November. Lose in November and people are really not gonna want to talk about it.

Edit: that post was way too glib a response for the fire you just laid out. That was maybe the best quick layout of this horsefeathers that I’ve seen. The rot is on the surface and visible from space and people are too inundadated and fatigued to know what’s at a level to get a protest going. This is, that stuff was last week and the week before. The refugees got everyone out but then they do this horsefeathers with the courts. Doesn’t take long to realize it’s a rope a dope and the immigration stuff is set up to absorb the fight. The immigration stuff is legit awful and it takes legit energy and fight to get pissed off about it. That tuckered a lot of folks out for this week I imagine. The right is realllll good at this gaslighting stuff and has zero conscience.
2 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:23 am

Thrilho wrote:You said it man. Nobody even wants to talk about it because it’s too damn depressing. I just hope that they come out to vote and that the vote hasn’t been fully rigged by November. Lose in November and people are really not gonna want to talk about it.

If the Democrats manage to lose in November despite winning something like 54% of the vote, it's game over. 100%. Republicans will realize they have complete power to continue to rewrite the rules in their favor and will never, ever give it up. It's only a question of how long people will accept it before the whole thing breaks down.
1 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:26 am

Remember the Trump Foundation findings by the NY Dept of Revenue? Remember how there was a clear case of tax fraud against the Trumps from their use of the Trump Foundation? I'm guessing no one else does.
1 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:43 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Thrilho wrote:You said it man. Nobody even wants to talk about it because it’s too damn depressing. I just hope that they come out to vote and that the vote hasn’t been fully rigged by November. Lose in November and people are really not gonna want to talk about it.

If the Democrats manage to lose in November despite winning something like 54% of the vote, it's game over. 100%. Republicans will realize they have complete power to continue to rewrite the rules in their favor and will never, ever give it up. It's only a question of how long people will accept it before the whole thing breaks down.

So damn dark but for once I believe your doom boner could be on the money. They have only just begun swinging around that big SCOTUS stick they stole. Never is a long time but I just listened to Dick Durbin on the radio. They were asking him whether he was going to vote against Kavanaugh and he would only say that he’s going to “ask some very tough questions.”

If the people can’t muster a large enough majority to overcome this rigging in these times we cannot count on these chickenhorsefeathers Democrats to take the system back for us at any point in the future.

The main thing I’m counting on this November and in the future is the youth. They’ve been consistently not coming through for us for decades but hopefully their feathers have been ruffled enough by this disgusting president and GOP that we’ll finally see a generation give a horsefeathers about politics before they’re old enough to be voting against higher taxes as their main concern.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:50 am

And speaking of which, is anyone on here an expert in ways to help get out the vote? I’ve contributed to the Beto campaign and I’m thinking of helping there. Seems like if you could get dems out to vote for a senator in a place like TX you’d also pick up a lot of votes for congresspeople. I’m not sure having a yankee call banking in TX is the best use of my time but I’m gonna see what’s out there. If anyone has ideas though I’m all ears.

Edit:

Btw here’s the thing I saw on Reddit that I thought sounded like someone doing some good things. Responding to someone telling them to get three friends to vote.

I did a hell of a lot more than that.

I have attended multiple California Democratic Party conventions, interned on both city council and congressional (CA-45) campaigns, registered voters with NextGen America at the March For Our Lives, helped organize school walkouts and demonstrations where we registered my classmates to vote, and actively participated in several local Democratic clubs and organizations like the Orange County Young Democrats and the Democrats of Greater Irvine. I have done all of this - and I am not alone. My fellow High School Democrats were with me all the way, and we're going to become College Democrats in the fall. I'm joining the USC College Democrats as soon as I get to Los Angeles.

Generation Z is much more activist than the Millennials ever were. We learned from the mistakes of our predecessors. We will do better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comme ... istration/

I’m probably being the lazy barely millennial that I am by trying to outsource my community service ideas but there are some good minds here. If anyone’s got any ideas for me, appreciate it in advance!
Last edited by Thrilho on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:05 am

1 x

Return to “Social”