5-Time All-Star

Re: Politics, but not weather or journalism or weather journalism

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 am

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 am

The Kavanaugh nomination is going down in flames and approaching its end. I think maybe it lasts one more week? Time is not on their side.

The GOP is going to rush through another nomination before the midterms. We need to hope they can stall it long enough for the Dems to take back both the House and Senate this fall. Tough task, but I think it's possible now. If Trump tries to do a recess appointment that [expletive] will be overturned by the SC and ruled unconstitutional.

I mean Obama couldn't do that with Garland and I really wished he tried it.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:28 am

Regular Show wrote:The Kavanaugh nomination is going down in flames and approaching its end. I think maybe it lasts one more week? Time is not on their side.

The GOP is going to rush through another nomination before the midterms. We need to hope they can stall it long enough for the Dems to take back both the House and Senate this fall. Tough task, but I think it's possible now. If Trump tries to do a recess appointment that [expletive] will be overturned by the SC and ruled unconstitutional.

I would guess that they play it coy and retreat into a shell and then jam through a nominee after the midterms and before the new Congress convenes. At this point, is everyone on my "hope the Repubs are dumb enough to jam this trainwreck through" team?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:39 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Regular Show wrote:The Kavanaugh nomination is going down in flames and approaching its end. I think maybe it lasts one more week? Time is not on their side.

I would guess that they play it coy and retreat into a shell and then jam through a nominee after the midterms and before the new Congress convenes. At this point, is everyone on my "hope the Repubs are dumb enough to jam this trainwreck through" team?

The calendar would make that tough, even with Dems doing the bare minimum of stalling techniques.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:20 am

So thanks to Avenatti's twitter feed, I had to go to urban dictionary to see what a Devil's Triangle is. It had two definitions which both fit the MO, but what was weird was that there was an ad on the bottom of the page that told me "Get a devil's triangle mug for your cousin Manafort." We live in strange times.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:08 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:So thanks to Avenatti's twitter feed, I had to go to urban dictionary to see what a Devil's Triangle is. It had two definitions which both fit the MO, but what was weird was that there was an ad on the bottom of the page that told me "Get a devil's triangle mug for your cousin Manafort." We live in strange times.

Dammit, dude I looked it up after your post and now I really wished I hadn't...

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:11 am

3 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:15 pm

This is both disgusting (on the GOP's part) and hilarious (for the GOP)

https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news ... 20735.html

One Republican ad questioned a combat soldier’s commitment to helping other veterans. Another struck a sinister tone in referencing a veteran’s Marine Corps t-shirt. And in yet another congressional district, the GOP candidate implied that ideas don’t matter in the military, prompting backlash from a major veterans-related group.

In the homestretch of a brutal 2018 congressional campaign season, some Republicans — long accustomed to the support of national security-focused voters — are struggling to respond to the unusually large number of military veterans running as Democrats in districts from Kentucky to Maine. They are grasping for ways to talk about those contenders without appearing dismissive of their service — and without opening up more avenues for their opponents to highlight personal stories of heroism, a challenging balance in some of the most high-profile House races in the country.

“It doesn’t appear that Republicans know how to run against our candidates,” charged Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Ben Ray Luján in a recent conversation with reporters.

I love that this all implies that the only way Republicans know how to run against someone is to talk horsefeathers about them. God forbid they make an ad discussing their personal politics and policy plans. Nah, they can only try and make their opponent look bad. That's the only path to victory for them (not that those tactics aren't used on the left either).
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Rosenstein is resigning (well that was the first story, now it is a little different)

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:27 pm

1 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:25 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:29 pm

0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Banedon wrote:Hahaha James Woods, twitter martyr.

https://news.avclub.com/james-woods-kic ... 1829268479

I love this
Free speech is free speech—it’s not Jack Dorsey’s version of free speech
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Banedon wrote:Hahaha James Woods, twitter martyr.

https://news.avclub.com/james-woods-kic ... 1829268479

6 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:16 pm

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:19 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

Well that jives with Trump making Rosenstein meet him on Thursday, when the Ford testimony is supposed to happen.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:14 pm

I think I'll be reading this book after going through this review. I can be accused of seeking reinforcement of my biases, but horsefeathers it, Jamieson is legit, and I'm done ceding ground to right wing nutjobs on this simply because people are tired of the Hillary topic.

Indeed, when I met recently with Jamieson, in a book-lined conference room at the Annenberg Center, in Philadelphia, and asked her point-blank if she thought that Trump would be President without the aid of Russians, she didn’t equivocate. “No,” she said, her face unsmiling. Clearly cognizant of the gravity of her statement, she clarified, “If everything else is a constant? No, I do not.”

Jamieson said that, as an academic, she hoped that the public would challenge her arguments. Yet she expressed confidence that unbiased readers would accept her conclusion that it is not just plausible that Russia changed the outcome of the 2016 election—it is “likely that it did.”
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 pm

The Logan wrote:This is both disgusting (on the GOP's part) and hilarious (for the GOP)

https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news ... 20735.html

One Republican ad questioned a combat soldier’s commitment to helping other veterans. Another struck a sinister tone in referencing a veteran’s Marine Corps t-shirt. And in yet another congressional district, the GOP candidate implied that ideas don’t matter in the military, prompting backlash from a major veterans-related group.

In the homestretch of a brutal 2018 congressional campaign season, some Republicans — long accustomed to the support of national security-focused voters — are struggling to respond to the unusually large number of military veterans running as Democrats in districts from Kentucky to Maine. They are grasping for ways to talk about those contenders without appearing dismissive of their service — and without opening up more avenues for their opponents to highlight personal stories of heroism, a challenging balance in some of the most high-profile House races in the country.

“It doesn’t appear that Republicans know how to run against our candidates,” charged Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Ben Ray Luján in a recent conversation with reporters.

I love that this all implies that the only way Republicans know how to run against someone is to talk horsefeathers about them. God forbid they make an ad discussing their personal politics and policy plans. Nah, they can only try and make their opponent look bad. That's the only path to victory for them (not that those tactics aren't used on the left either).

In Alabama, every ad ends with the GOP candidate with a bible and/or a gun. I'm not joking. Every Democratic candidate is a Nancy Pelosi stooge or an out of touch liberal, with a liberal agenda (dog whistle for racists and homophobes). They are always for lower taxes and less government. Meanwhile, taxes are so low in Alabama that they cannot fund schools, rural hospitals, or most any program for young children. And of course, the good folks of Alabama eat it right up without questions.
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:16 pm

The day Orrin Hatch dies, I'll kick up my feet while enjoying a nice cigar in the knowledge the world is better off when he's gone.

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Last edited by Regular Show on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:18 pm

Avenatti claiming this client of his has proof that Kavanaugh was involved in gang rapes in high school.

https://people.com/politics/michael-ave ... gh-school/

Stormy Daniels‘ lawyer, Michael Avenatti, claims he is aware of “significant evidence” that embattled Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was involved in “gang rapes” during his high school years.

Avenatti tweeted a screenshot Sunday night of an email he wrote to Mike Davis — the chief counsel for nominations for the Senate Judiciary Committee — alleging that Kavanaugh, his friend Mark Judge, and others targeted women with drugs and alcohol “in order to allow a ‘train’ of men to subsequently gang rape them” at house parties in the early 1980s. In the letter, he did not specifically allege that Kavanaugh himself assaulted anyone.

Avenatti did not present any evidence or further details about the allegations, but said he was aware of “multiple women” who “will corroborate these facts.”
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:27 pm

I don’t know if Avenatti has evidence and/or witnesses to corroborate the story, but I know that the Dems need to keep a good distance from that guy.
3 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:40 pm

This Avenatti character is something else.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:The day Orrin Hatch dies, I'll kick up my feet while enjoying a nice cigar in the knowledge the world is better off when he's gone.

when mcconnell dies i'm going on a full-on bender.
0 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

Return to “Social”