Politics & Current Events

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Derwood wrote:

What's his angle here?

Pelosi has seen a noteworthy amount of Democratic opposition to her being named Speaker, to the point where some dems are on record saying they would not vote for her. Technically if enough democrats voted against her, a republican could be named speaker but thats highly unlikely. I'm assuming Trump senses division amongst the left and wants to encourage it by supporting her.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:33 pm

or maybe he has brain worms
2 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Or knows Pelosi isn't hot on the impeachment trail.

I like brains worms though too.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:44 pm

I’m at McDonald’s in SLC with Mitt Romney. no joke
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I’m at McDonald’s in SLC with Mitt Romney. no joke

Not even 24 hours and he is already making overtures to his master Trump. horsefeathering pathetic spineless worthless shameful.
2 x

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:48 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Progressive policies & ideas gaining a foothold in red states; good for the future. (see also Amendment 4 in FL, ex-felons will now be able to vote; and MO & AR voted to increase min wage)

It passed here in Idaho very easily.
0 x

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:52 pm

CubinNY wrote:I think yesterday's outcome is as close to a best-case scenario as the Democrats could have hoped for. In Alabama, it turns out the Trump did fire up the blue hairs and knuckle draggers. I didn't help that Democrats don't have a functioning party apparatus.

As for O'Rouke, Gillum, and Abrams, I'm sad but mostly disgusted, but unless one lives in the South you have no idea what an uphill battle they were facing. I cannot believe that Scott beat Nelson, that's perhaps the worst loss of last night for me. Scott should be in prison for fraud.

At least now, there can be an actual investigation of Trump.

Having lived in Texas almost my entire life and a live long Dem with family that served in the house I am pretty damn proud of Beto. I knew the odds of him winning were around 20%, but to get within 3% was great. He did it the right way and gained a national following that will be huge going forward.
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:53 pm

Checking on the Senate races yet to be called, it looks like they are all likely to go Republican.

As much as I hate to say it, Republicans came out on top yesterday. They won basically every close Senate race, which was pretty much their best case scenario.

The results also reinforced Trump's influence. Trump-backed candidates win and moderate Republicans lose. Don't expect to see Republicans breaking from Trump anytime soon. They are tied to him more than ever.

Winning the House is a positive step for Democrats, but the Senate results paint a scary picture for 2020. Trump will certainly lose the popular vote in 2020, and possibly by a much larger margin than 2016, but that may not be enough to defeat the electoral college.
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:56 pm

so here's the question, what does Beto's future hold? Had he been in a state where he had a realistic chance at beating a republican such as Wisconsin, we could be talking about future endeavors. But does a state rep and failed senate bid have enough power to push anything nationally?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:You're seriously not in a horsefeathering "bubble" if you have the sense to ignore Ben horsefeathering Garrison cartoons.

"Hmmmm, yes; it would appear that Republicans are awful people who support terrible policies and terrible politicians AND they have a terrible sense of humor. Glad I got out of my comfort zone to figure out that tricky brainbuster."

You are insufferable

Yeah, I'm being real unfair to the guy who inexplicably thinks there's some insight to be gained from his horsefeathers conservative FB friends' horsefeathers conservative memes, AND that he needs to foist their dumb trash on us, too.

Please go try to wrestle a flock of Canadian geese.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:Checking on the Senate races yet to be called, it looks like they are all likely to go Republican.

As much as I hate to say it, Republicans came out on top yesterday. They won basically every close Senate race, which was pretty much their best case scenario.

The results also reinforced Trump's influence. Trump-backed candidates win and moderate Republicans lose. Don't expect to see Republicans breaking from Trump anytime soon. They are tied to him more than ever.

Winning the House is a positive step for Democrats, but the Senate results paint a scary picture for 2020. Trump will certainly lose the popular vote in 2020, and possibly by a much larger margin than 2016, but that may not be enough to defeat the electoral college.

Yeah, winning the House is an obvious plus, but there's a clear narrative/result that Trump is running/defining the GOP, and they are all in behind him (and definitely even more than before after last night), and that's very, very bad. IMO it showed that Trump definitely can win re-election, and the Democrats fruitlessly pushing for impeachment is likely something they would be wise to not pursue.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:Checking on the Senate races yet to be called, it looks like they are all likely to go Republican.

While it's obvious that Democrats appear at an electoral disadvantage for at least as long as Trump is around, the 3 states they did best in last night are their "blue firewall". And they appear to keep making progress in AZ.

Obviously it would be great if Florida saw a better night (although it did flip some R house seats), there should be valuable lessons and a game plan learned.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:02 pm

0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:03 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:so here's the question, what does Beto's future hold? Had he been in a state where he had a realistic chance at beating a republican such as Wisconsin, we could be talking about future endeavors. But does a state rep and failed senate bid have enough power to push anything nationally?

Find a reality show to host for the next year, then run for Prez.
1 x

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:08 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:so here's the question, what does Beto's future hold? Had he been in a state where he had a realistic chance at beating a republican such as Wisconsin, we could be talking about future endeavors. But does a state rep and failed senate bid have enough power to push anything nationally?

He raised $70 million and built a national brand. I think his speech last night could be the spring board to 2020. He could spend the next year in the midwest with the same grassroots efforts building money. Also would give Dems a shot to win Texas in 2020. That alone is a death blow to the GOP.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Beto's in a similar position to Kander, right? A higher national profile at this point, but Kander has mostly worked on voting rights stuff since losing his senate race(ugh, Blunt and Hawley are my senators now) AFAIK.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Derwood wrote:

What's his angle here?

He thinks having her around as a punching bag is good for him in 2020.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Derwood wrote:

What's his angle here?

He thinks having her around as a punching bag is good for him in 2020.

Yup; Pelosi is nothing but a headache for the Democrats at this point. She's one of the biggest factors to keeping them as relatively directionless as possible. The Republicans don't want her gone at all; what harm will she possibly do to them? She works great as a bogeyman they can keep whining about.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:18 pm

The House Committee on Space, Science, and Technology will, for the first time in nearly a decade, be led by someone who accepts the conclusions of mainstream climate science.

With Democrats now in control of the House, leadership of the House Science Committee is likely to fall Texas Democrat Eddie Bernice Johnson. Johnson, who became the committee’s first African American and first female ranking member in 2010, is a strong advocate for funding STEM education and expanding educational opportunities for minorities, in particular. She’s also a solidly pro-environment politician, according to her League of Conservation Voters scorecard.
4 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Democrats flipped the House of Representatives, 7 governorships and a bunch of state legislatures. They won the national vote by 7 points, in a mid-term. They also won 2/3rds of Senate races.

Republicans slightly widened their margin in the Senate that they already controlled and flipped nothing of consequence.

Politics is all about stupid expectation games, but there is no universe in which Republicans came out on top yesterday.
Last edited by Hairyducked Idiot on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Why is Nancy Pelosi in particular a good bogeyman, the fact that she's from California? All the 'liberal elite' scaremongering just uses her as an avatar, anyone they make Speaker would work just as well.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:26 pm

The Georgia race still chaps my ass. Was just speaking with a friend who lives there and she said it sounds like Abrams is going to tryand fight this legally, justifiably so, and there might be a runoff in December, but that's not a guarantee. The fact that this dildo won by a shade over 75,000 votes (with absentee ballots and the like still to be accounted for) yet suppressed the voting privileges of 700,000 people in the last two years, speaks volumes. Any time I saw news of Brian Kemp my Mrs. White flames-on-the-side-of-my-face emotions reached peak levels
1 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Re: Pelosi - Can the democrats pick someone for speaker that isn't 80 years old? Frustrating. I don't know specifically who else they should pick but I'd like to see someone with a longer term future in the party in this position.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Why is Nancy Pelosi in particular a good bogeyman, the fact that she's from California? All the 'liberal elite' scaremongering just uses her as an avatar, anyone they make Speaker would work just as well.

Name recognition for one. She's done the job a lot, and has already had a LONG history of the GOP demonizing her. There's no work necessary for them to go right back to doing the same.

There were midterm ads vilifying Dem candidates just for associating or agreeing with Pelosi.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Speaker is at *least* as much a legislative position as it is a political one. The actual nuts and bolts of running Congress is more important than the optics.

Pelosi is pretty good at that horsefeathers and I'm not interested in just tossing that aside.
0 x

Return to “Social”