Politics & Current Events

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Banedon wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Why is Nancy Pelosi in particular a good bogeyman, the fact that she's from California? All the 'liberal elite' scaremongering just uses her as an avatar, anyone they make Speaker would work just as well.

Name recognition for one. She's done the job a lot, and has already had a LONG history of the GOP demonizing her. There's no work necessary for them to go right back to doing the same.

There were midterm ads vilifying Dem candidates just for associating or agreeing with Pelosi.

Demonizing her for what though? In the absence of her being thought of for any specific outcomes it would take like a week for the right wing media machine to replace her in the same messaging.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:31 pm

Banedon wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Why is Nancy Pelosi in particular a good bogeyman, the fact that she's from California? All the 'liberal elite' scaremongering just uses her as an avatar, anyone they make Speaker would work just as well.

Name recognition for one. She's done the job a lot, and has already had a LONG history of the GOP demonizing her. There's no work necessary for them to go right back to doing the same.

There were midterm ads vilifying Dem candidates just for associating or agreeing with Pelosi.

yup. It's not necessarily that she's done any particular thing, she is just what republicans hate: a liberal from an "elitist" district (San Francisco) who's been in power since the dawn of man.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Speaker is at *least* as much a legislative position as it is a political one. The actual nuts and bolts of running Congress is more important than the optics.

Pelosi is pretty good at that horsefeathers and I'm not interested in just tossing that aside.

Isn't like, the rest of leadership also octogenarians or pushing it too?

They need some plan to groom a generation of leadership into the 20s.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:54 pm

2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Banedon wrote:

this has to be the start of part of the Dem's message for 2020. They're horsefeathering crooks.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:11 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

this has to be the start of part of the Dem's message for 2020. They're horsefeathering crooks.

All three people running for Congress yesterday under indictment or just having gotten out from under indictment won.

Voters assume all politicians are crooks so they don't really care anymore.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

All three people running for Congress yesterday under indictment or just having gotten out from under indictment won.

Voters assume all politicians are crooks so they don't really care anymore.

Hell, a dead pimp won in a landslide.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:13 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:so here's the question, what does Beto's future hold? Had he been in a state where he had a realistic chance at beating a republican such as Wisconsin, we could be talking about future endeavors. But does a state rep and failed senate bid have enough power to push anything nationally?

Only once has a person been elected directly from the House to the White House: James Garfield.

Nevertheless, I think Beto is the next POTUS. The Dems found a genuine rock star. Him losing a Senate race is irrelevant. Him only being in Congress for five years isn't going to matter either; what's Trump going to do, attack him for lack of experience?

The DNC would be smart to throw all of their support at him right now. Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Florida will easily go back to blue in 2020 with Beto on the ballot.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:17 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Hard disagree; all Republicans, voters and politicians are just going to keep doubling down on backing and protecting Trump and co.. The Democratic House can start all the investigations they want, and it'll likely all amount to the same bupkis as the endless Benghazi investigations, unfortunately. Democrats, IMO, need to pick concrete, specific, shared platforms on something like healthcare and wages and ride them like there's no tomorrow. They likely can't beat Trump by actually going after Trump; it'll work against their own base as people get more and more frustrated with how Teflon Trump is.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:17 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:so here's the question, what does Beto's future hold? Had he been in a state where he had a realistic chance at beating a republican such as Wisconsin, we could be talking about future endeavors. But does a state rep and failed senate bid have enough power to push anything nationally?

Only once has a person been elected directly from the House to the White House: James Garfield.

Nevertheless, I think Beto is the next POTUS. The Dems found a genuine rock star. Him losing a Senate race is irrelevant. Him only being in Congress for five years isn't going to matter either; what's Trump going to do, attack him for lack of experience?

The DNC would be smart to throw all of their support at him right now. Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Florida will easily go back to blue in 2020 with Beto on the ballot.

Yeah, he needs to at LEAST be the VP nominee in 2020.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Demonizing her for what though? In the absence of her being thought of for any specific outcomes it would take like a week for the right wing media machine to replace her in the same messaging.

The issue isn't that she's a villain for the Right; as you said, that will be literally any predominant Democrat as the GOP sees fit to go after. The real problem is how ineffectual and wimpy she and Schumer are as leaders.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Pelosi (and Soros) are easy, dog-whistle names that any GOP candidate for any position can name off in a campaign ad, knowing that their base hates them (even though none of them remember why)
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Hard disagree; all Republicans, voters and politicians are just going to keep doubling down on backing and protecting Trump and co.. The Democratic House can start all the investigations they want, and it'll likely all amount to the same bupkis as the endless Benghazi investigations, unfortunately. Democrats, IMO, need to pick concrete, specific, shared platforms on something like healthcare and wages and ride them like there's no tomorrow. They likely can't beat Trump by actually going after Trump; it'll work against their own base as people get more and more frustrated with how Teflon Trump is.

I get that. Its mostly my hate for the trumps that make me want to grind them into the dust. There is the old saying: Even the finest sword plunged into salt water will eventually rust.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:25 pm

* I still want that muthafukka indicted
0 x

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Banedon wrote:

EVERY ad attacking a local female democratic candidate included a shot of nancy pelosi. EVERY ONE. a photo of the local female candidate's face next to a photo of nancy pelosi's face. none of these people have ever met or associated with pelosi in any way. a lot of those women won so i guess it didn't work too well.

dems did pretty well in iowa aside from the governor race. pretty bizarre.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:28 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

I get that. Its mostly my hate for the trumps that make me want to grind them into the dust. There is the old saying: Even the finest sword plunged into salt water will eventually rust.

Hey, I'm right there with you. I really, really wish it was more realistic to see this blubber goblin shamed out of the WH prematurely. As it stands, I'll settle for him hopefully getting his ass kicked in 2020 if the Dems don't screw this up.
1 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

It seems so crystal clear that he's the guy, which is probably why the DNC will do something stupid and throw all their support behind Warren or some other establishment dullard. We should never underestimate just how susceptible the DNC is to shooting themselves in the foot.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I think the ugly calculus is that the Dems need to run a white man in 2020. I get the sense that a lot of your blue-collar Dems in the Rust Belt states aren't fans of what they perceive as identity politics being proffered by the current Democratic Party. I don't think those types, and there are apparently a ton of them in those states, would vote for a Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren.

Beto seems to check all the boxes necessary to not only beat Trump, but to rout his ass. This is a post-Trump America, so Beto's relative inexperience is completely irrelevant.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:24 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

It seems so crystal clear that he's the guy, which is probably why the DNC will do something stupid and throw all their support behind Warren or some other establishment dullard. We should never underestimate just how susceptible the DNC is to shooting themselves in the foot.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I think the ugly calculus is that the Dems need to run a white man in 2020. I get the sense that a lot of your blue-collar Dems in the Rust Belt states aren't fans of what they perceive as identity politics being proffered by the current Democratic Party. I don't think those types, and there are apparently a ton of them in those states, would vote for a Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren.

Beto seems to check all the boxes necessary to not only beat Trump, but to rout his ass. This is a post-Trump America, so Beto's relative inexperience is completely irrelevant.

The closeness of the Senate races in the Rural South is may be a telling sign - Trump' base of racist white men is getting older and smaller, it'll soon be eclipsed and when that happens he's done. Beto will clean up among the remaining voting populace.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Piss off Lieberman you horsefeathering piece of horsefeathers

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:31 pm

gflore34 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

The closeness of the Senate races in the Rural South is may be a telling sign - Trump' base of racist white men is getting older and smaller, it'll soon be eclipsed and when that happens he's done. Beto will clean up among the remaining voting populace.

Sadly, there's plenty of young racist white men too.
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:35 pm

AZ may not be as long of odds as we think?

0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:53 pm

Bertz wrote:AZ may not be as long of odds as we think?

Montana was also called for Tester, so worst case is 46-54. 47-53 would probably be acceptable all things considered.

At 47-53, 2020 is at least reasonably in play. The script is at least somewhat flipped with the GOP defending more (granted, safer) seats 22-12. Yea, AL will flip back, and CO will probably offset that, but maybe a little resignation luck or something will work in the Dems favor.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Oh and I guess Nelson in Florida is still not out of the hunt yet. Both of those could go to the end of the week.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Ryan has also been sad-interviewing, lamenting the extreme partisan nature these days while his PAC was running some of the most racist ads against Delgado in NY...so yeah, another GOP'er who go horsefeathers himself & rake in more Koch brothers money on the lecture circuit.

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:24 pm

1 x

Return to “Social”