Politics & Current Events

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Brian wrote:plot twist

“Fox News supports CNN in its legal effort to regain its White House reporter’s press credential. We intend to file an amicus brief with the U.S. District Court,” network President Jay Wallace said in a statement Wednesday. “Secret Service passes for working White House journalists should never be weaponized.”

Wallace added: “While we don’t condone the growing antagonistic tone by both the President and the press at recent media avails, we do support a free press, access and open exchanges for the American people.”

They're planning ahead so that President Beto can't pull THEIR credentials
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:12 pm

So, anyone see this story about how some election official in a Republican panhandle county allowed some 100-200 voters to vote by email and fax?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:10 pm

Everyone go delete their bad Avenatti takes.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:14 pm

squally1313 wrote:Everyone go delete their bad Avenatti takes.

Was anyone here a fan? I don't recall that at all.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:15 pm

he came pre-milkshake ducked
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:17 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:

Was anyone here a fan? I don't recall that at all.

Yeah doing a quick search on phone, no one here seemed to have fallen for it. I could have sworn I remembered someone talking about how everything he touched turned to gold, but that must be another pocket of the internet where I’m also wasting my life. Good work everyone.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:27 am

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/14/trump-amazon-hq2-virginia-new-york-990753

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that Virginia and New York are “paying a very big price” to house Amazon’s next headquarters, adding that “time will tell” on the merits of the deals.

Trump delivered the remarks during an Oval Office interview with The Daily Caller, his first public comments on the matter since Amazon announced Tuesday it struck agreements to split its highly anticipated HQ2 between Crystal City in Northern Virginia and the Queens borough of New York City.

“I think they’re paying a very big price,” Trump said of the two locations. “It was a competition. I know all about those competitions. I’ve been in those competitions — a lot of cities were competing for it. They took the best deals, you know?”

He continued: “They’re giving up a lot; they’re expensive deals. Only time will tell."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/11/13/amazon-hq2-new-york-virginia-2-billion

In exchange for more than $2 billion in economic incentives, the online shopping giant will locate a pair of new corporate headquarters just across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C., and just across the East River from Manhattan. Tuesday's much-anticipated announcement of the locations for Amazon's "HQ2" also included details—which had previously been kept from the public—about the economic incentives that successfully lured the Seattle-based firm to the east coast's political and economic hubs.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/29/18027032/foxconn-wisconsin-plant-jobs-deal-subsidy-governor-scott-walker

The details of the deal were famously written on the back of a napkin when Gou and the Republican governor first met: a $3 billion state subsidy in return for Foxconn’s $10 billion investment in a Generation 10.5 LCD manufacturing plant that would create 13,000 jobs.

But what seemed so simple on a napkin has turned out to be far more complicated and messy in real life. As the size of the subsidy has steadily increased to a jaw-dropping $4.1 billion

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-trump-foxconn-groundbreaking-wisconsin-20180628-story.html

“That’s why this is so beautiful,” Trump said, on a stage with signs reading “Made in Wisconsin USA” and “now hiring.”

But while Trump praised the Taiwanese electronics giant’s plans for a factory that will produce liquid crystal displays as “the eighth wonder of the world,”

He makes it too easy.
0 x
1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:36 am

in news no one cares about, after a 13-month quest to find out what Tulsa offered Amazon in its ill-fated attempt at HQ2, I finally won.
Backstory no one cares about: The city refused to release the proposal to me, basically telling me that despite all evidence in the world that the proposal was a public record, it had been funneled through so many exempt agencies that it would never be released to me. they denied my request for the document, they denied my request for emails about the document (my hope was that the pdf would be included as an attachment in a city email,) they denied everything.

Even state agencies who had a hand in crafting it denied me. It was maddening - tulsa had no shot. We might as well have been trying to get the olympics! Yet no one would reveal just what kind of tax breaks they had offered Amazon.

Last night I managed to find a source who had a copy of the document. He gave it to me. I won. The story is boring. But I won and that's what matters.

final note: I was right, the copy of the proposal I got was an attachment to an email from a city employee (who was emailing the document through a personal email account in order to keep it out of city emails that would easily turn up in an open records request. personal emails are not exempt from the ORA but we rarely ask for them. I caught our old governor using a personal email several times.

9 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:00 am

i want to know how many cities wasted a horsefeathers load of money working on proposals for amazon when they basically had no chance of getting their headquarters. they were also going to a city with good infrastructure, good public transit systems, well-educated people and somewhere that would be attractive to young/middle-aged people who would have to relocate.

what ultimately happens in these situations is that big businesses act like they're considering a broad range of options when in reality they have probably already made their decision, and are just holding communities over a barrel in order to get super-friendly conditions. big oil and chemical companies do this all the time to texas - pretend they're looking all over the country, then they inevitably end up in houston or somewhere nearby after securing massive tax breaks.
0 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:40 am

Not sure where to put this story, but I'll go with this thread.

I just got back from Phoenix last night. On my flight, I sat between 2 people in the middle seat. On one side was a dude probably in his late 20s maybe early 30s. He had a MAGA hat on that was signed by Trump himself and a "I voted" sticker. All he carried was 2 books. Both are Donald Trump's book: the art of the deal and think like a champion. On the other side was either a college student or a recent grad who wore Donald Trump socks and had the white/black cross with a circle logo on his laptop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's a white supremacist logo?

So we all get in our seat and we're about to take off, the guy the MAGA hat saw the socks and said to the kid, "so... big fan huh?" -pointing to Trump on his book. The kid said " Yeah, he's the greatest thing that happened to America". Seriously. Needless to say, I took off my cochlear implants about 30 seconds after that and went to sleep for the rest of the 3 1/2 hrs flight. I woke up when we landed and put my implants back on. They were STILL talking about Trump. I feel bad for everyone else on that flight that had to listen to those 2 having a Trump jerkfest.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:Not sure where to put this story, but I'll go with this thread.

I just got back from Phoenix last night. On my flight, I sat between 2 people in the middle seat. On one side was a dude probably in his late 20s maybe early 30s. He had a MAGA hat on that was signed by Trump himself and a "I voted" sticker. All he carried was 2 books. Both are Donald Trump's book: the art of the deal and think like a champion. On the other side was either a college student or a recent grad who wore Donald Trump socks and had the white/black cross with a circle logo on his laptop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's a white supremacist logo?

So we all get in our seat and we're about to take off, the guy the MAGA hat saw the socks and said to the kid, "so... big fan huh?" -pointing to Trump on his book. The kid said " Yeah, he's the greatest thing that happened to America". Seriously. Needless to say, I took off my cochlear implants about 30 seconds after that and went to sleep for the rest of the 3 1/2 hrs flight. I woke up when we landed and put my implants back on. They were STILL talking about Trump. I feel bad for everyone else on that flight that had to listen to those 2 having a Trump jerkfest.

Were I in your position, I would have reached the "raised voices" level at the very least. If you wear that horsefeathers in public I can't help but harass and belittle and mock.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:54 am

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:03 am

2 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:56 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:Not sure where to put this story, but I'll go with this thread.

wait what the horsefeathers are "donald trump socks"
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 am

this guy somehow seems even worse than most trump nominees.

By December 2014, in another press release, he came to the firm’s defense: “As a former U.S. Attorney, I would only align myself with a first-class organization,” Whitaker said. "World Patent Marketing goes beyond making statements about doing business 'ethically' and translate those words into action."

“World-renowned physicist, author, and scholar Dr. Ronald Mallett believes time travel is possible, perhaps within the next decade…. World Patent Marketing has partnered with Dr. Ronald Mallett to make his vision a reality,” the company wrote in a caption on its Vimeo page.

Below are a list of some of the ideas and products World Patent Marketing promoted before a federal judge forced its closure and ordered the firm to pay $26 million in this year.
—The hunt for Bigfoot. World Patent Marketing CEO Scott Cooper offered $1 million for proof of Sasquatch’s existence, while peddling Bigfoot dolls.
—A toilet specially designed for well-endowed men. “The distance between the rim and the water surface needs to be long enough to ensure there is no risk of contact,” the press release for the “masculine toilet” said.
— An invention that combines weed with “fresh fruit,” whatever that means.
1 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:29 pm

You just can’t make this stuff up.
0 x

philosophizer75
All-Star

Postby philosophizer75 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Seems to me like there was a whole lot of making horsefeathers up going on at that company.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:06 pm

1 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:15 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:

wait what the horsefeathers are "donald trump socks"

There's a bunch of them, but this kid has these.

0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Jesus H Christ
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:29 pm

If twitter meltdowns correlate to something about to break, I think something big might be coming

0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:31 pm

I don't want Avenatti anywhere near the presidency. He's shady at best.

Jacob Wohl is taking credit for Avenatti getting arrested. Wohl is also a scumbag. I wouldn't be surprised if the accuser flew to Canada.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Yeah something big has to be coming tomorrow. The big news always seems to be released on Friday afternoons. Donnie Jr indicted?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:57 pm

It's like this, except JFK is actually, I dunno, Colonel Sanders or something:

0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:58 pm

CubInOK wrote:

I don't want Avenatti anywhere near the presidency. He's shady at best.

Jacob Wohl is taking credit for Avenatti getting arrested. Wohl is also a scumbag. I wouldn't be surprised if the accuser flew to Canada.

What accuser are we talking about? If we are talking about the same thing, the accuser is Avenatti's estranged wife.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”