5-Time All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:12 pm

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:09 pm

Today in whacked horsefeathers the President pulls out of his ass: if we raked the millions of acres of forest land we wouldn’t have to deal with fires.

He’s the Cliff Claven of Presidents.
0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:14 pm

NOLA wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:

This line is amazing:
At the annual winter meeting of the Democracy Alliance at a downtown Washington hotel this past week, the agenda featured groups focused on registering and mobilizing voters in Arizona, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas.

I don’t know if they could ever swing KS or OK but I love the fact that Perez is being that aggressive. To me, the best path to getting inroads into southern states is via the environment and health care.

It's worth it just to try to defend KS-2 (?), OK-5, KS-Gov, and try to break the GOP domination of those legislatures.

Do all of those states have Senate races in 2020?
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:39 pm

It's really a toss up right now whether you will die in a mass shooting or some climate disaster.

0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:55 pm

Is Trump our dumbest president or just top three?
0 x
Spoiler: show

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:32 am

Well, this is less fun...

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Blair had invented thousands of stories in the past two years, always trafficking in the same stereotypes to fool the same people, but he never tired of watching a post take off: Eight shares in the first minute, 160 within 15 minutes, more than 1,000 by the end of the hour.

“Aaaaand, we’re viral,” he wrote, in a message to his liberal supporters on his private Facebook page. “It’s getting to the point where I can no longer control the absolute absurdity of the things I post. No matter how ridiculous, how obviously fake, or how many times you tell the same taters . . . they will still click that ‘like’ and hit that share button.”
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Welp, there's an idea I had a couple years ago I never followed through on that someone else has become successful off of. :banghead:
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:02 pm

The Logan wrote:Welp, there's an idea I had a couple years ago I never followed through on that someone else has become successful off of. :banghead:

That’s not the kind of success you want. It’s only fueling the insanity. Dudes like that are going to laugh all the way to the re-education camp.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:13 pm

CubinNY wrote:
The Logan wrote:Welp, there's an idea I had a couple years ago I never followed through on that someone else has become successful off of. :banghead:

That’s not the kind of success you want. It’s only fueling the insanity. Dudes like that are going to laugh all the way to the re-education camp.

It's one thing to do it to intentionally deceive the public like the actual fake news sites out there pandering to the base that the Russians were peddling. It's another to plaster "This isn't real" or "This site is satire, dummy" all over your website and have idiots still act as if it's the truth. Those dumb horsefeathers are going to get the news they want to believe from somewhere whether you give it to them or you don't.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:21 pm

The Logan wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

It's one thing to do it to intentionally deceive the public like the actual fake news sites out there pandering to the base that the Russians were peddling. It's another to plaster "This isn't real" or "This site is satire, dummy" all over your website and have idiots still act as if it's the truth. Those dumb horsefeathers are going to get the news they want to believe from somewhere whether you give it to them or you don't.

Really don't see how you can read that article and not see the real consequences of this stuff, whether the intent is malicious or not.
3 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:34 pm

0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:02 am

4 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:48 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
The Logan wrote:
CubinNY wrote:That’s not the kind of success you want. It’s only fueling the insanity. Dudes like that are going to laugh all the way to the re-education camp.

Really don't see how you can read that article and not see the real consequences of this stuff, whether the intent is malicious or not.

Because by plastering that his site is fake all over it, and with such obviously jokey headlines like "Obama dodged Vietnam draft at the age of 9", his site is satire, and when you start wanting to censor/silence satire, you lump in a whooooole lot of other individuals and entities who become affected by that, and that's more malicious than some horsefeathering rubes sharing garbage information on the internet to their echo chamber that is so far gone they aren't ever coming back and will believe anything you tell them if it confirms their bias, regardless of the source.

Disinformation campaigns are the things that are malicious. This guy creates (bad) satire and exploits idiots who share it for profit while his liberal followers turn it around and shame those same people for sharing fake stories on the internet. He's baiting the morons and then shaming them for falling for the bait. I genuinely don't care that that's happening. And I certainly don't care because it's satire, not a deliberate attempt at sowing chaos among the public.

You can argue "Oh, but he knows people believe it, he should stop". Well, some people thought Obama ran over and killed Jimmy Carter but The Onion doesn't seem to be losing any sleep over that or any other time some moron thinks what they write is real.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:16 am

The Logan wrote:Disinformation campaigns are the things that are malicious. This guy creates (bad) satire and exploits idiots who share it for profit while his liberal followers turn it around and shame those same people for sharing fake stories on the internet. He's baiting the morons and then shaming them for falling for the bait. I genuinely don't care that that's happening. And I certainly don't care because it's satire, not a deliberate attempt at sowing chaos among the public.

You should! The guy is intentionally contributing to(and profiting from) an echo chamber that is breeding extremism or at least tolerance for extremism. The people he dupes aren’t shamed, they’re calcified. And then they vote or do worse than that with this worldview. There’s a chasm between “ban satire” and acknowledging social media disinformation is a huge problem and not celebrating people who profiteer off it, especially those who idealistically should know better.
3 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:58 am

Tim wrote:Is Trump our dumbest president or just top three?

I think you only get to count his stupidity once, not three times.
1 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:54 am

i can't even think of who would be in contention with trump.
1 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:53 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:

i can't even think of who would be in contention with trump.

W, at least in his first term. As terrible as it is to say this, 9/11 was the best thing that ever happened to his Administration.

There so many turning points in the last 30 years of politics. If Gary Hart wasn't such an idiot, there would have been no Clinton, no Gore V Buch, probably no gulf war 2. The world might be an entirely better place. If the stupid ballots in Florida were made dumb enough for old people, No Bush. bah, it doesn't matter.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Trump slams Navy SEAL commander who found Osama bin Laden

Trump then accused McRaven of not finding bin Laden fast enough.

"Wouldn't it have been nice if we got Osama bin Laden a lot sooner than that, wouldn't it have been nice?" the president said. "You know, living - think of this - living in Pakistan, beautifully in Pakistan, in what I guess they considered a nice mansion, I don't know, I've seen nicer. But living in Pakistan right next to the military academy, everybody in Pakistan knew he was there."

McRaven served as chancellor of the University of Texas after leaving the military but stepped down this year over health concerns. He has chronic lymphocytic leukemia, a type of slow-growing blood cancer that he was diagnosed with in 2010 while in Afghanistan.

https://www.nola.com/news/2018/11/trump ... laden.html
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:14 pm

that first quote reads like it came straight from the onion
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 pm

NOLA wrote:Trump slams Navy SEAL commander who found Osama bin Laden

"Wouldn't it have been nice if we got Osama bin Laden a lot sooner than that, wouldn't it have been nice?" the president said. "You know, living - think of this - living in Pakistan, beautifully in Pakistan, in what I guess they considered a nice mansion, I don't know, I've seen nicer. But living in Pakistan right next to the military academy, everybody in Pakistan knew he was there."

McRaven served as chancellor of the University of Texas after leaving the military but stepped down this year over health concerns. He has chronic lymphocytic leukemia, a type of slow-growing blood cancer that he was diagnosed with in 2010 while in Afghanistan.

First, McRaven wasn’t in charge of finding UBL, the CIA was. Second, McRaven commanded the SEALS and they were ready to go in about a week. Trump is such douche.
Last edited by CubinNY on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:24 pm

NOLA wrote:Trump slams Navy SEAL commander who found Osama bin Laden

I've seen nicer?!? I think this is the perfectly succinct example of exactly the type of a$$ hat Trump is. Wow.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:32 pm

CubinNY wrote:Today in whacked horsefeathers the President pulls out of his ass: if we raked the millions of acres of forest land we wouldn’t have to deal with fires.

He’s the Cliff Claven of Presidents.

I wondering if he's trying to be funny, because, someone with an active brain cell wouldn't say such an thing and mean it.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:13 am

0 x

Return to “Social”