5-Time All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubInOK » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:26 pm

0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:23 pm

he really does have a rizzo-esque tinyface.
1 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:01 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:This guy is from the National Review, the alleged home of intelligent conservatism.

What in the actual horsefeathers.

Damn liberal snowflakes and their blanket discrimination of the entire concept of walls.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Sure, Hitler was awful, but you know what he was? A human being. You know who else is a human being? OBUMMER!!11!
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:12 pm

A WALL kept the Mongols out! You know they do now in Mongol-place??!! THEY SING HEAVY METAL MUSIC

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... tube-views

MORE WALLS PLZ
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:35 pm

entire thread:
I'm just an advertising guy, but thought I'd put a marketing lens on the news of Manafort sharing "polling data" with a Russian operative.
Seems benign in the grand scope of everything, right? It's not.
Like politics, the goal of advertising is persuasion. And like politics, we call our efforts a campaign.
At the heart of any campaign, big or small, is data. Data about the market, people, the competition. In politics, this is called "polling." Same thing.
Data is the raw material in the battle that brands fight to win hearts and minds, and get people to choose one product over another. To vote with their wallets.
Gleaning the data is very expensive, it's labor intensive, and it takes a LOT of time.
Big companies will spend hundreds of millions on various versions of this undertaking, and employ thousands of people. The results of all this data, and the way it's sliced and diced, is kept behind firewalls, under lock & key, privileged access.
Data (polls) is one of the most valuable resources a company has.
Anyone who works for a major company knows that Big Data is the business battle of our time.
What do we do with the data? We use it to decide who to target. To position the brand as distinctive from other brands. To develop messaging and ads. To de-position and conquest the competition (and lots more).
Back to Manafort. Sharing polling data with anyone is opening a door to collaborate with them. It's allowing them to use your raw materials, your valuable resources, your manpower.
It's like arms dealing, except the weapons can't be tracked because no one knows they're explosive except for the collaborators.
Sharing polling data means you're working together. Conspiring. Making decisions together. Working to destroy the competition.
Imaging for a moment if Apple and Microsoft collaborated on pooling their data resources in an attempt to bring down Samsung...
But there's SOMETHING EVEN MORE IMPORTANT TO THE STORY. To continue the analogy, imagine that Apple and MSFT then together hacked into Samsung's servers and stole some of their proprietary data, in the form of emails about their data...
Then it'd be game over.
So, if you've got Manafort sharing valuable and proprietary data with a Russian intelligence operative, and you've got a Russian hacking operationg stealing the competition's (the DNC's and the Clinton campaign's) data...then you've got it all.
Everything you need to destroy the competition.

Not so benign anymore.

You know who knows a lot about this? @KellyannePolls -- someone should ask her.
1 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Trump says he’s cutting off FEMA money for California forest fires, presumably because our governor criticized him last night.

Of course, in typical Trump fashion, he initially spelled it “Forrest” because he doesn’t know how to spell and likes to capitalize words randomly.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:34 pm

soccer10k wrote:Trump says he’s cutting off FEMA money for California forest fires, presumably because our governor criticized him last night.

Of course, in typical Trump fashion, he initially spelled it “Forrest” because he doesn’t know how to spell and likes to capitalize words randomly.

Must be an example of bad luck while thinking.
1 x

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 pm

I'm pretty much at the point of just wanting them to waste the money on the wall so we can all agree that the immigration problem is solved so that republicans can't use it to influence idiots on policy.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:03 pm

scarey wrote:I'm pretty much at the point of just wanting them to waste the money on the wall so we can all agree that the immigration problem is solved so that republicans can't use it to influence idiots on policy.

Absolutely not.
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:14 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
scarey wrote:I'm pretty much at the point of just wanting them to waste the money on the wall so we can all agree that the immigration problem is solved so that republicans can't use it to influence idiots on policy.

Absolutely not.

Definitely not, although conceding defeat when they are ahead is very much a typical Democratic response. And there is no way the Republicans wouldn't twist logic to still influence idiots.

"See! A Latino snatched a purse in San Antonio. If the Dems cared about border security they would have given us EVERYTHING we asked for!"
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:20 pm

NOLA wrote:

Absolutely not.

Definitely not, although conceding defeat when they are ahead is very much a typical Democratic response. And there is no way the Republicans wouldn't twist logic to still influence idiots.

"See! A Latino snatched a purse in San Antonio. If the Dems cared about border security they would have given us EVERYTHING we asked for!"

If someone doesn't see this for the incredibly slippery slope it is, I can't imagine theyve been paying any attention.

"Well, we built the wall, and there are still thousands of Mexicans in the country, let's shut down the gov't until they're all deported"
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Just take a page out of the Republicans book. Every show on CNN, MSNBC, etc should have a furloughed federal employee on there talking about their struggles to make ends meet. Have someone in TSA talk about how weakened air security is. Bring on someone from the FDA to discuss how they aren't testing food for viruses.

If Trump really wanted this, if Republicans really wanted this, it would have passed at some point in the last two years. They lost total control after not getting nearly as much done as they wanted to, and now Trump is taking his ball and going home. Let him.
0 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:48 pm

So lets say Trump declares a national emergency and secures funding for his wall that way. Im pretty sure the courts will strike it down the same day, but lets say it goes to court and its ruled constitutional.

Now, this is just my thinking, I didnt take this from somebody with actual knowledge. But, could the next Democrat President then use that as a precedent to declare our healthcare industry a national emergency, and secure funding for a socialized healthcare system without requiring a supermajority in congress? IF SO, please proceed, Mr. President.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:48 pm

I thought Steyer was interesting, but of course the whole billionaire thing is a big turnoff.

Regardless, he decided not to run.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/us/p ... -2020.html
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:53 pm

Bote McBoteface wrote:So lets say Trump declares a national emergency and secures funding for his wall that way. Im pretty sure the courts will strike it down the same day, but lets say it goes to court and its ruled constitutional.

Now, this is just my thinking, I didnt take this from somebody with actual knowledge. But, could the next Democrat President then use that as a precedent to declare our healthcare industry a national emergency, and secure funding for a socialized healthcare system without requiring a supermajority in congress? IF SO, please proceed, Mr. President.

People (Trump especially) have been overstating just what he would potentially be able to do in trying to declare this an emergency. I think there's something, like, two dozen or more current active declared national emergencies right now. Seriously.
0 x

gflore34
All-Star

Postby gflore34 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 pm

NOLA wrote:
Absolutely not.

If someone doesn't see this for the incredibly slippery slope it is, I can't imagine theyve been paying any attention.

"Well, we built the wall, and there are still thousands of Mexicans in the country, let's shut down the gov't until they're all deported"

horsefeathers NO!!! Do night give in, it was wrong when he campaigned on it, it was wrong before the shutdown, it's wrong now.
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 pm

squally1313 wrote:Bring on someone from the FDA to discuss how they aren't testing food for viruses.

I believe they're still testing food. They just aren't being paid for their work. Think about the implications of that for a moment...
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 pm

Trump had painted himself into a corner and everybody in Washington knows it. The GOP in congress need to make a deal and see if Trump vetoes it. Everybody know the wall thing is a waste of money.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 pm

0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:08 pm

Bluescale wrote:
squally1313 wrote:Bring on someone from the FDA to discuss how they aren't testing food for viruses.

I believe they're still testing food. They just aren't being paid for their work. Think about the implications of that for a moment...

No, it's worse.

0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:12 pm

1 x

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 pm

NOLA wrote:

Absolutely not.

I was talking about giving them a one time blank check. It's admittedly an irrational thought, it's just frustrating to continually have the morons repeatedly try to make the bear patrol a real thing. Yes, it's not a good idea for many reasons, chief among them is high probability that people would so easily be talked into the idea that their taxes are high because of illegal immigrants just like the Simpson's episode (which would be so perfectly ironic).
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:33 pm

scarey wrote:
NOLA wrote:
Absolutely not.

I was talking about giving them a one time blank check. It's admittedly an irrational thought, it's just frustrating to continually have the morons repeatedly try to make the bear patrol a real thing. Yes, it's not a good idea for many reasons, chief among them is high probability that people would so easily be talked into the idea that their taxes are high because of illegal immigrants just like the Simpson's episode (which would be so perfectly ironic).

But there’s no such thing as a “one time” check. It’s then precedent for him to do any other crazy horsefeathers he wants to do.
0 x

Return to “Social”