Politics & Current Events

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:04 pm

So this is a story I came across where Ryan Leaf pays some lady who is married to a Park Ranger a bunch of money. Just wanted to see if Leaf was actually a cool guy. Then I saw what he named his son, and it erased all doubt:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/01/10/government-shutdown-smokies-park-ranger-taylor-futch/2538336002/
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:07 pm

“We have a 4 yr (sic) old and a 4 month old

You don’t know me, but my grandfather was a game warden in Montana and we spent our vacations going to our 2 (sic) national parks,” Leaf tweeted.

thanks for the notations USA Today.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:20 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
short thread:
Spoiler: show

lol that's kind of iffy. did conspiracy youtube videos help make him a crazy murderer or did the schizophrenia help make him more interested in conspiracy youtube videos? Second option seems more likely.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:59 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I think Kamala is my favorite of the bunch. so far.

MIne too. A former prosecutor, quick on her feet. The only problem is she checks off all the boxes on the hate-o-meter, for the "security moms" and "economically worried" dads in the suburbs. That's a + in my book.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:19 am

0 x

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:37 am

gflore34 wrote:Is it not too far fetched to think that should Trump get the wall funding, he's found a way to funnel some of the money into his holdings?

I was leaning towards a sweetheart deal that would indirectly benefit him.
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:j.f.c.

ben now says that congress should censure king, but ben apparently doesn't see a problem that it took until king saying "what's wrong with white supremacy" for him to recognise that king is super racist.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:48 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:j.f.c.

ben now says that congress should censure king, but ben apparently doesn't see a problem that it took until king saying "what's wrong with white supremacy" for him to recognise that king is super racist.

Not coding your racist rhetoric is just a bridge too far.
1 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:27 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:
short thread:
Spoiler: show

lol that's kind of iffy. did conspiracy youtube videos help make him a crazy murderer or did the schizophrenia help make him more interested in conspiracy youtube videos? Second option seems more likely.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read through that. There was an obvious turn as his mental health deteriorated that just didn't exist when he was thinking clearly.
0 x
I like beer.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Things like cults and militias and extremist movements have long sought out (well, well before the internet) and preyed on people suffering from depression or mental illness or substance abuse issues. Their rhetoric is often intentionally designed and presented in ways to appeal and entice people who are dealing with mental health issues; it's a feature in terms of what they're trying to exploit, and not a bug. No, the crazy alt-Right stuff likely didn't "make" him crazy....but it was essentially put out there by design to draw people like him in, worst case consequences be damned. This kinda horsefeathers is going to be blowing up for a long time thanks to how much this MO of "recruitment" took off via the internet over the last 20+ years, and then has been effectively been mainstreamed by things like Fox News and Right Wing radio shows and major YouTube/Facebook channels.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Things like cults and militias and extremist movements have long sought out (well, well before the internet) and preyed on people suffering from depression or mental illness or substance abuse issues. Their rhetoric is often intentionally designed and presented in ways to appeal and entice people who are dealing with mental health issues; it's a feature in terms of what they're trying to exploit, and not a bug. No, the crazy alt-Right stuff likely didn't "make" him crazy....but it was essentially put out there by design to draw people like him in, worst case consequences be damned. This kinda horsefeathers is going to be blowing up for a long time thanks to how much this MO of "recruitment" took off via the internet over the last 20+ years, and then has been effectively been mainstreamed by things like Fox News and Right Wing radio shows and major YouTube/Facebook channels.

yeah im not trying to absolve the weirdo qanon virgins of any blame, I just don't think you take an average joe, submit him to a bunch of insane conspiracy videos and he can't help but turn into a murderer. There were clearly parallel issues happening here that led to this.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:27 pm

This isn't hard to decypher, team. Would he have flipped out and killed a guy without those videos? Who knows, probably. Would be have killed his brother in particular while thinking he was a lizard person without those videos? No. Would he have bothered to go down that youtube rabbit hole and believe it all if he were a sane person? Of course not. The videos and conspiracies aren't at fault, but they sure as horsefeathers didn't help matters.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:10 pm

It's just an element of a continuing theme: it all horsefeathering matters. That's all. FWIW, I probably should have only shown the thread here, not the tweet from the guy drawing the (faulty &/or not fully fleshed-out) conclusion. My bad.
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 pm

2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 pm

A Watchmen quote? Fan- horsefeathering -tastic
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:55 pm

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) has settled speculation about her political ambitions with her announcement that she’ll run for president in the 2020 election.

“I have decided to run and will be making a formal announcement within the next week,” Gabbard told CNN’s Van Jones during an interview scheduled to air at 7 p.m. Saturday.
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:03 am

So the three people we know are running are women. And two of the three are women of color. Wow...
1 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:27 am

Thinking about Tulsi Gabbard more and more. Can you imagine how hard the right would freak out if a Samoan woman born in the 80's became POTUS?
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 am

I liked Gabbard a lot a few years back when she resigned from the DNC because of how f'd it was to throw her support to Bernie, but I know she also leans a little right on some issues. She would probably have great bipartisan candidate appeal, but the days of bipartisan politics are gone.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:50 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Things like cults and militias and extremist movements have long sought out (well, well before the internet) and preyed on people suffering from depression or mental illness or substance abuse issues. Their rhetoric is often intentionally designed and presented in ways to appeal and entice people who are dealing with mental health issues; it's a feature in terms of what they're trying to exploit, and not a bug. No, the crazy alt-Right stuff likely didn't "make" him crazy....but it was essentially put out there by design to draw people like him in, worst case consequences be damned. This kinda horsefeathers is going to be blowing up for a long time thanks to how much this MO of "recruitment" took off via the internet over the last 20+ years, and then has been effectively been mainstreamed by things like Fox News and Right Wing radio shows and major YouTube/Facebook channels.

yeah im not trying to absolve the weirdo qanon virgins of any blame, I just don't think you take an average joe, submit him to a bunch of insane conspiracy videos and he can't help but turn into a murderer. There were clearly parallel issues happening here that led to this.

Personally, I'm more than willing to put plenty of the blame on this horsefeathers instead of whatever was already going on in his head. Along the lines of how easy access to guns drives up suicide numbers; arguably plenty of potentially suicidal people end up actually dying who wouldn't have if they didn't heavy ready access to something they viewed as being able to quickly and decisively end their life.

Yeah, this stuff didn't "make him crazy," but I have little trouble believing it pushed him over the edge, and that there's a good chance he wouldn't have hurt someone else if he hadn't gotten embroiled in it. It's designed to horsefeathers people up and prey on their vulnerabilities and exacerbate them. No, the "average" person is likely not going end up like this....but it's really not targeting them in the first place. It's expressly going after the people with issues, byproducts like this be damned.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:55 am

Tulsi Gabbard has a ... mixed ... record to say the least
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:58 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Tulsi Gabbard has a ... mixed ... record to say the least

Everyone does. I could live with her as the eventual candidate.

http://www.ontheissues.org/house/tulsi_gabbard.htm
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:59 am

In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/p ... quiry.html
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:14 am

Bluescale wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Tulsi Gabbard has a ... mixed ... record to say the least

Everyone does. I could live with her as the eventual candidate.

http://www.ontheissues.org/house/tulsi_gabbard.htm

She was actively campaigning against civil unions (let alone gay marriage) barely a decade ago and she still talks about gay rights as being a threat to religious freedom. She has a weird affinity for hard-right international leaders. She probably belongs to a weird cult but has managed to scrub any proof of a hard connection.

Her support comes entirely from having been an early Bernie Sanders advocate, I guess, but she’s a weird choice for any democrat m.
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:50 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:She was actively campaigning against civil unions (let alone gay marriage) barely a decade ago and she still talks about gay rights as being a threat to religious freedom. She has a weird affinity for hard-right international leaders. She probably belongs to a weird cult but has managed to scrub any proof of a hard connection.

Since 2012 she's supported same-sex marriage. She's a Hindu, so if you want to consider that a cult, feel free to rock that stance.

Her biggest remaining problem (as far as I can tell) is her questionable attitude toward Muslims. That's something she'll hopefully have to confront in the primaries.
0 x

Return to “Social”