Politics & Current Events

The Logan
Superstar

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby The Logan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Amash is really coming out swinging isn't he?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4518 ... ting-trump

Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.), who announced last week that he was leaving the GOP to become an independent, said Sunday that "high-level" Republican officials have thanked him for his support of impeachment proceedings against President Trump.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/amas ... ings-trump

Rep. Justin Amash (I-MI) said on Sunday that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) is “making a mistake” by not starting impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.

Amash, who recently left the Republican Party to become an independent, told CNN reporter Jake Tapper that Pelosi’s reluctance to begin impeachment proceedings is a “big problem.”

“From a principled, moral position, she’s making a mistake,” Amash said. “From a strategic position, she’s making a mistake.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... mp-1399338

“Over the years, I've seen that people are just falling in line behind the leaders, including people in my own caucus, which I left,” the five-term Michigan lawmaker told host Jake Tapper on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “So it has gotten worse and worse and I think this was the term that really broke it for me.”

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/07/07/sotu-amash-15-read-mueller.cnn

Rep. Justin Amash says that less than 15% of Congress, on both sides of the aisle, has read the entire Mueller report.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:06 pm

Well here’s bit of fun Sunday reading. This is the first of a rather long thread.

0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:31 pm

The Logan wrote:Amash is really coming out swinging isn't he?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4518 ... ting-trump

Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.), who announced last week that he was leaving the GOP to become an independent, said Sunday that "high-level" Republican officials have thanked him for his support of impeachment proceedings against President Trump.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/amas ... ings-trump

Rep. Justin Amash (I-MI) said on Sunday that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) is “making a mistake” by not starting impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.

Amash, who recently left the Republican Party to become an independent, told CNN reporter Jake Tapper that Pelosi’s reluctance to begin impeachment proceedings is a “big problem.”

“From a principled, moral position, she’s making a mistake,” Amash said. “From a strategic position, she’s making a mistake.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... mp-1399338

“Over the years, I've seen that people are just falling in line behind the leaders, including people in my own caucus, which I left,” the five-term Michigan lawmaker told host Jake Tapper on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “So it has gotten worse and worse and I think this was the term that really broke it for me.”

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/07/07/sotu-amash-15-read-mueller.cnn

Rep. Justin Amash says that less than 15% of Congress, on both sides of the aisle, has read the entire Mueller report.

He’s correct about Pelosi’s stance. Not even starting an impeachment inquiry is flat stupid.

I remember awhile back seeing TX House delegates’ comments on the Mueller report. About half of them said they had read it, and I’m certain not even half of them had.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:41 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:41 am

7 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Apparently Trump's Twitter meltdown at Fox this weekend coincided with the F-Trump chant on Fox News.
0 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 pm

CubinNY wrote:Apparently Trump's Twitter meltdown at Fox this weekend coincided with the F-Trump chant on Fox News.

It's amazing that he is such a sociopath who has literally no conscience but also has the thinnest skin imaginable.

He's terrible in just about every way a person can be terrible.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:14 pm

Billionaire Tom Steyer has told staffers he plans to announce a 2020 presidential bid, a turnaround from January when he said he would not enter the race.

I actually really kinda like this guy, but 1) no billionaires, thanks and 2) there's no room, guy.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:26 pm

Banedon wrote:
Billionaire Tom Steyer has told staffers he plans to announce a 2020 presidential bid, a turnaround from January when he said he would not enter the race.

I actually really kinda like this guy, but 1) no billionaires, thanks and 2) there's no room, guy.

Yeah, he's pretty decent as far as hedge fund billionaires (double ugh) go, but he's yet another candidate who would be far better served running for a senate spot, or even governor.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:29 pm

"When I was a stranger, you welcomed me."
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:48 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:"When I was a stranger, you welcomed me."

Waiting for the day white evangicals flip on this issue and call slaves refugees.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:05 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:"When I was a stranger, you welcomed me."

Another good reason to hate Evangelical Christians. This totally goes against the teachings of Jesus and what their religion is about. I'm curious how Jewish and Muslim demographics answered this question (it should be very high for both).

It's really sad how Republicans and certain groups of Christians are trying to slow down demographic change in this country. You can't have a strong economy while limiting immigration, and you can't allow immigration while limiting refugees. If it was up to horsefeathering Trump we'd only allow immigrants from Norway.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Regular Show wrote:
I'm curious how Jewish and Muslim demographics answered this question (it should be very high for both).

It's really sad how Republicans and certain groups of Christians are trying to slow down demographic change in this country.

When you say should, do you mean it should be high because of the teachings they claim to follow, or you are predicting they would have high rates of acceptance? I probably agree on the Muslim demo because Muslims have a larger immigant population in the US...but not so sure about American Jews on that front. I'm sure the non-religious top them easily.

I'd also edit "certain groups" there to "a majority of"
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:41 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
I'm curious how Jewish and Muslim demographics answered this question (it should be very high for both).

It's really sad how Republicans and certain groups of Christians are trying to slow down demographic change in this country.

When you say should, do you mean it should be high because of the teachings they claim to follow, or you are predicting they would have high rates of acceptance? I probably agree on the Muslim demo because Muslims have a larger immigant population in the US...but not so sure about American Jews on that front. I'm sure the non-religious top them easily.

Well, speaking as a Muslim (and my parents were immigrants) so yeah, our religion teaches us to also be kind to strangers and people suffering under persecution (refugees) and we also follow the teachings of Jesus as well (he's just a prophet for us, but VERY highly regarded). I don't know how you could argue for not accepting refugees, in terms, of religious doctrine and beliefs. I'm not saying Muslim countries have a great history of accepting refugees, but that has more to do with the authoritarian governments in Muslim countries than the religion.

From what I've read and observed about the Jewish demographic in this country they are very sympathetic towards refugees because of their own history and their religious persecution during WWII and even before that. Jewish people understand the need to accept refugees -- many Jewish scholars and professors have written about the importance of reminding people of the high cost of not taking in refugees (all the Jewish refugees who tried to escape and died during the Holocaust because countries weren't willing to take them). Jewish people (and all my Jewish friends) tend to be very liberal and Democratic as well, which correlates with a higher rate of accepting refugees.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:58 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Well, speaking as a Muslim (and my parents were immigrants) so yeah, our religion teaches us to also be kind to strangers and people suffering under persecution (refugees) and we also follow the teachings of Jesus as well (he's just a prophet for us, but VERY highly regarded). I don't know how you could argue for not accepting refugees, in terms, of religious doctrine and beliefs. I'm not saying Muslim countries have a great history of accepting refugees, but that has more to do with the authoritarian governments in Muslim countries than the religion.

From what I've read and observed about the Jewish demographic in this country they are very sympathetic towards refugees because of their own history and their religious persecution during WWII and even before that. Jewish people understand the need to accept refugees and many Jewish scholars and professors have written about the importance of reminding people of the high cost of not taking in refugees (all the Jewish refugees who tried to escape and died during the Holocaust because countries weren't willing to take them). Jewish people (and all my Jewish friends) tend to be very liberal and Democratic as well.

Sure, and my friends are also pretty liberal, including my Jewish friends...but they prob wouldn't be my friends if they weren't. There is a pretty large conservative Jewish population in this country, and they aren't too different than the conservative Christians. I think that a majority of people in this country, regardless of the actual religion they follow, tend to treat its actual teachings similar to how my makeup'd friend here describes people and their morals (with the more "devout" they present themselves to as, the more likely they are to use their beliefs as a prop):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3RWGwzzYT0
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:05 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:There is a pretty large conservative Jewish population in this country, and they aren't too different than the conservative Christians. I think that a majority of people in this country, regardless of the actual religion they follow, tend to treat its actual teachings similar to how my makeup'd friend here describes people and their morals (with the more "devout" they present themselves to as, the more likely they are to use their beliefs as a prop)

1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Regular Show wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:When you say should, do you mean it should be high because of the teachings they claim to follow, or you are predicting they would have high rates of acceptance? I probably agree on the Muslim demo because Muslims have a larger immigant population in the US...but not so sure about American Jews on that front. I'm sure the non-religious top them easily.

From what I've read and observed about the Jewish demographic in this country they are very sympathetic towards refugees because of their own history and their religious persecution during WWII and even before that. Jewish people understand the need to accept refugees and many Jewish scholars and professors have written about the importance of reminding people of the high cost of not taking in refugees (all the Jewish refugees who tried to escape and died during the Holocaust because countries weren't willing to take them). Jewish people (and all my Jewish friends) tend to be very liberal and Democratic as well.

Sure, and my friends are also pretty liberal, including my Jewish friends...but they prob wouldn't be my friends if they weren't. There is a pretty large conservative Jewish population in this country, and they aren't too different than the conservative Christians. I think that a majority of people in this country, regardless of the actual religion they follow, tend to treat its actual teachings similar to how my makeup'd friend here describes people and their morals (with the more "devout" they present themselves to as, the more likely they are to use their beliefs as a prop):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3RWGwzzYT0

Sure, I agree with that take. I haven't met any conservative Jewish people here in Chicago, but I know they exist lol. [expletive] like Sheldon Adelson and I know that group has a Super PAC. I certainly couldn't compromise my religious beliefs to fit my political beliefs or alignment, but I know some rich Muslim doctors who vote and donate to Republicans only because they want to pay lower taxes.

Still, regarding the original question (% who say the U.S. has a responsibility to accept refugees) and how Jewish and Muslim Americans would answer this question I feel confident it would be above 70% for both (and maybe higher for Muslims since many are immigrants themselves).

It's a really easy litmus test (how they choose to answer the question IMO) for determining if someone/some group are horsefeathers.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:41 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Still, regarding the original question (% who say the U.S. has a responsibility to accept refugees) and how Jewish and Muslim Americans would answer this question I feel confident it would be above 70% for both (and maybe higher for Muslims since many are immigrants themselves).

Pounding the under on those.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 pm

Regular Show wrote:

Pounding the under on those.

I'll guess we'll have to wait for a more in-depth poll from Pew Research.

EDIT: Nevermind.

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:14 pm

As I said, malleability of justification is a feature for these horsefeathers -wads.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:43 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:54 pm

0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:11 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I’ve been one to argue here against candidates campaigning too far to the Left, but these generic candidate polls are pretty useless.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:21 am

Just no.

0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 am

NOLA wrote:Just no.

He can fill Swalwell's spot for "guy running just because" in the primaries.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”