Politics & Current Events

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:50 pm

No, it won't.
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:53 pm

1 x

User avatar
CubInOK
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6781
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 1:08 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
x 1479
x 464

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubInOK » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:18 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

I can’t wait until he tells some Norwegian to go back to their country.
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:34 pm


If you're unclear about Serwer's meaning:
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:37 pm


Image
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56137
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 499
x 6487

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
If you're unclear about Serwer's meaning:


I'm having trouble with the disconnect between "Carlson says crazy white nationalist things to make receptive viewers more extreme" and "at a Conservative conference Carlson sympathizes with Jacobin to make liberals associate him with leftism while simultaneously not alienating any of the crazy white nationalists who normally believe what he says"
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60534
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2911
x 10089

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm having trouble with the disconnect between "Carlson says crazy white nationalist things to make receptive viewers more extreme" and "at a Conservative conference Carlson sympathizes with Jacobin to make liberals associate him with leftism while simultaneously not alienating any of the crazy white nationalists who normally believe what he says"

why?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56137
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 499
x 6487

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:59 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm having trouble with the disconnect between "Carlson says crazy white nationalist things to make receptive viewers more extreme" and "at a Conservative conference Carlson sympathizes with Jacobin to make liberals associate him with leftism while simultaneously not alienating any of the crazy white nationalists who normally believe what he says"

why?


It seems nonsensical to me to be a personality whose primary intent is to amplify a particular message to randomly decide to do the opposite as a honeypot to try to sway people who hate you. Not that I think Carlson is particularly bright, but I'm not sure there's that much machiavellian intent either.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60534
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2911
x 10089

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm having trouble with the disconnect between "Carlson says crazy white nationalist things to make receptive viewers more extreme" and "at a Conservative conference Carlson sympathizes with Jacobin to make liberals associate him with leftism while simultaneously not alienating any of the crazy white nationalists who normally believe what he says"

why?


It seems nonsensical to me to be a personality whose primary intent is to amplify a particular message to randomly decide to do the opposite as a honeypot to try to sway people who hate you. Not that I think Carlson is particularly bright, but I'm not sure there's that much machiavellian intent either.

It's a fairly standard operating procedure for all those people. Extreme right winger who occasionally sides with the somebody on the left who many democrats have doubts/concerns/distrust about.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:24 pm

0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:29 pm

"Mavericks"
1 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:26 pm

0 x

User avatar
The_Achiever
All-Star
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 am
x 498
x 256

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby The_Achiever » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:


So where has all the support and enthusiasm for Bernie gone? I understand why establishment dems want to prop up another horrible centrist but the big talking point after 2016 was "Bernie would have won!"

Biden is basically a republican. How is it playing out this way? Warren and Bernie are the only ones who have a chance against Trump imo. You don't beat hard right fascism with spineless centrism.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 4122
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 820
x 537
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 pm

The_Achiever wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:


So where has all the support and enthusiasm for Bernie gone? I understand why establishment dems want to prop up another horrible centrist but the big talking point after 2016 was "Bernie would have won!"

Biden is basically a republican. How is it playing out this way? Warren and Bernie are the only ones who have a chance against Trump imo. You don't beat hard right fascism with spineless centrism.

You really think Bernie would have a better shot than Kamala? Strictly from an odds standpoint, Harris should be a favorite to beat Trump I’d think. She can form a broad coalition of support, she’s shown enough chops to take down Trump in a debate and she’s improving as a candidate.

In the “not this horsefeathers again” category, Biden is not basically a Republican. Just stop. He’s very much a moderate Democrat, and a hokey old white guy, at a time when there is no taste for that from the Left. I don’t support the guy but no Republican would come close to the sum of Biden’s positions. He’s just stayed the same old guy as the rest of the party has moved more Progressive.
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Obviously, the Tennessee GOP has been infiltrated by Socialists!
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 am

1 x

User avatar
The_Achiever
All-Star
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 am
x 498
x 256

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:14 am

NOLA wrote:
The_Achiever wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:


So where has all the support and enthusiasm for Bernie gone? I understand why establishment dems want to prop up another horrible centrist but the big talking point after 2016 was "Bernie would have won!"

Biden is basically a republican. How is it playing out this way? Warren and Bernie are the only ones who have a chance against Trump imo. You don't beat hard right fascism with spineless centrism.

You really think Bernie would have a better shot than Kamala? Strictly from an odds standpoint, Harris should be a favorite to beat Trump I’d think. She can form a broad coalition of support, she’s shown enough chops to take down Trump in a debate and she’s improving as a candidate.

In the “not this horsefeathers again” category, Biden is not basically a Republican. Just stop. He’s very much a moderate Democrat, and a hokey old white guy, at a time when there is no taste for that from the Left. I don’t support the guy but no Republican would come close to the sum of Biden’s positions. He’s just stayed the same old guy as the rest of the party has moved more Progressive.


I left out Kamela, I think she could win too. But my point remains about Bernie. He appears to be falling in all the polls but he was the darling of the progressive left just a couple years ago. Maybe he’s old news now but what would that make joe Biden?
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70102
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1229
x 2480

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 am

He was the single alternative to Hilary Clinton (who the DNC was trying to run unopposed, but Sanders grass-rooted his way into the race).

Now there are plenty of progressive, liberal candidates, most of whom are better options than Sanders. Why settle for the 73 year old white progressive dude when there are young candidates, women candidates, and candidates of color?
0 x

User avatar
The_Achiever
All-Star
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 am
x 498
x 256

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:11 am

Derwood wrote:He was the single alternative to Hilary Clinton (who the DNC was trying to run unopposed, but Sanders grass-rooted his way into the race).

Now there are plenty of progressive, liberal candidates, most of whom are better options than Sanders. Why settle for the 73 year old white progressive dude when there are young candidates, women candidates, and candidates of color?


Warren is my favorite but I think Bernie still outflanks them all as the most left. I really would like a woman potus and think Bernie would be wise to make one his vp pick.

This is just all about Biden for me though. I just don’t get his appeal when measured against the other top contenders.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 4122
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 820
x 537
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 am

The_Achiever wrote:
Derwood wrote:He was the single alternative to Hilary Clinton (who the DNC was trying to run unopposed, but Sanders grass-rooted his way into the race).

Now there are plenty of progressive, liberal candidates, most of whom are better options than Sanders. Why settle for the 73 year old white progressive dude when there are young candidates, women candidates, and candidates of color?


Warren is my favorite but I think Bernie still outflanks them all as the most left. I really would like a woman potus and think Bernie would be wise to make one his vp pick.

This is just all about Biden for me though. I just don’t get his appeal when measured against the other top contenders.

He’s the pick of everyone who isn’t paying attention to the race yet.

Also, Bernie...Bernie has some great messages and I give him credit for dragging the party Left, but Warren is Bernie with real concrete plans on how to get there.
Last edited by NOLA on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70102
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1229
x 2480

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:17 am

NOLA wrote:
The_Achiever wrote:
Derwood wrote:He was the single alternative to Hilary Clinton (who the DNC was trying to run unopposed, but Sanders grass-rooted his way into the race).

Now there are plenty of progressive, liberal candidates, most of whom are better options than Sanders. Why settle for the 73 year old white progressive dude when there are young candidates, women candidates, and candidates of color?


Warren is my favorite but I think Bernie still outflanks them all as the most left. I really would like a woman potus and think Bernie would be wise to make one his vp pick.

This is just all about Biden for me though. I just don’t get his appeal when measured against the other top contenders.

He’s the pick of everyone who isn’t paying attention to the race yet.


He's also the status quo pick for everyone who is afraid of anything that isn't right down the middle
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 am

Biden remains the "comfortable" pick for moderate Dems who, let's face it, still comprise the largest bloc of likely primary voters. Also, just anecdotal, but among black friends I have, at least among the older family members of said friends, "Biden was Barack's pick" continues to hold huge sway.
0 x

User avatar
CubInOK
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6781
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 1:08 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
x 1479
x 464

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubInOK » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:18 am



This chart is irrefutable proof that global warming is happening.

(Why can’t I argue this? Conservatives make the opposite argument all the time when snowstorms happen.)
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:01 am

1 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 213
x 2878

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:12 am

I thought this was gonna pay for...wait...am I confusing it with the tax cuts that were gonna pay for themselves, but likewise won't as the government might run out of money in the next 45 days or so? Yeah, that must be it. I'm just confusing which voodoo math is being used when.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests