The Politics Thread

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14142
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2394
x 1533

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:39 am

David wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1293501172217786370?s=19



And since most will not actually read the accompanying article, here's the key passage



For me its a question of why so close? The pandemic has revealed what most of us already knew about Trump - he's mentally and physically incapable of leading. If he's reelected and there's another national crisis he's going to horsefeathers it up and we'll be in another mess. Why don't people understand? Its not a question of party, its a question of our future welfare. Trump, because he's a total horsefeathers, will destroy us and the future.


But it's really not so close. If it weren't for the uncertainty they're building in because there are 3 months left, it's 93-7. That's not close.

Yea, it's not accurate to say things are close. That doesn't mean things aren't uncertain though.
1 x
Image

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 12078
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 749
x 1360

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby sneakypower » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:54 pm

i'm mostly done caring about what 538 says; Nate kinda freely admits he constantly throws random horsefeathers into the brew to keep it more in line with his personal assessment of a race, at least the Economist model is fully transparent in its method and free of all this extraneous nonsense, to say nothing of "Fivey Fox"
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14142
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2394
x 1533

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:00 pm

sneakypower wrote:i'm mostly done caring about what 538 says; Nate kinda freely admits he constantly throws random horsefeathers into the brew to keep it more in line with his personal assessment of a race

Uh what?
0 x
Image

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 12078
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 749
x 1360

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby sneakypower » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:14 pm

he always admits (via twitter, 538 pod) that he needs to add new variables/adjustments to correct what he perceives as a shortcoming in the model, to where it just starts to approach meaningless horserace narrative stuff he decried for so long
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14142
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2394
x 1533

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:29 pm

I admittedly don't follow him on Twitter, but I don't think the adjustments are what you are claiming they are. Tinkering a model isn't the same as "welp time to push a horse race narrative cuz feelings"
2 x
Image

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23530
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 404
x 818

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubinNY » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:58 pm

I will never not be shocked by what Trump is getting away with regarding attempts to steal the election. He admitted he's holding up money to the post office so they can't process mail-in ballots. Then his campaign actively working to get West on the ballot. The Democrats don't seem to be able to do anything about it or appear to even want to do anything about it.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 4953
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1261
x 962
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:12 pm

CubinNY wrote:I will never not be shocked by what Trump is getting away with regarding attempts to steal the election. He admitted he's holding up money to the post office so they can't process mail-in ballots. Then his campaign actively working to get West on the ballot. The Democrats don't seem to be able to do anything about it or appear to even want to do anything about it.

They don't appear to want to? How do you mean? They're tying any deal on a relief package with aid for states, cities and the USPS. They're mentioning it every time I hear them on TV. As for Kanye, DNC attorneys are already filing motions. What else are they supposed to do?
*just my opinion, but any votes for Kanye would come from Trump voters, not Biden, but whatever.

Now, with regard to foreign interference, they absolutely should bring information heard in intel briefings to the Senate floor. There is precedent during the Nixon administration.
2 x

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 4953
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1261
x 962
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:06 pm

8 x

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 19
x 72

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby gflore34 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:53 pm

NOLA wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I will never not be shocked by what Trump is getting away with regarding attempts to steal the election. He admitted he's holding up money to the post office so they can't process mail-in ballots. Then his campaign actively working to get West on the ballot. The Democrats don't seem to be able to do anything about it or appear to even want to do anything about it.

They don't appear to want to? How do you mean? They're tying any deal on a relief package with aid for states, cities and the USPS. They're mentioning it every time I hear them on TV. As for Kanye, DNC attorneys are already filing motions. What else are they supposed to do?
*just my opinion, but any votes for Kanye would come from Trump voters, not Biden, but whatever.

Now, with regard to foreign interference, they absolutely should bring information heard in intel briefings to the Senate floor. There is precedent during the Nixon administration.


Not to mention McConnell has been setting on the House passed bill for how many months? That [expletive], a thousands time worse than Trump, absolutely is a servant to money and nothing else.
1 x

User avatar
Splendid Splinter
All-Star
Posts: 2370
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 am
x 8749
x 238

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Splendid Splinter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:23 am

gflore34 wrote:Not to mention McConnell has been setting on the House passed bill for how many months? That [expletive], a thousands time worse than Trump, absolutely is a servant to money and nothing else.


Is there a limit on how long you can sit on a bill that was passed by House or Senate? Like can someone literally sit on a bill for 4 years while their party have control of House/Senate? Is there a reason why he won't bring it up to the floor because it won't pass anyway?
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45822
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 82
x 2808
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Tim » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:25 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:Is there a reason why he won't bring it up to the floor because it won't pass anyway?

He doesn't want the GOP members to be on record voting against things people like.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 19
x 72

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby gflore34 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Tim wrote:
Splendid Splinter wrote:Is there a reason why he won't bring it up to the floor because it won't pass anyway?

He doesn't want the GOP members to be on record voting against things people like.


I'd go further and say voting against things to help people.
1 x

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 4953
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1261
x 962
Contact:

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NOLA » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:01 pm

gflore34 wrote:
Tim wrote:
Splendid Splinter wrote:Is there a reason why he won't bring it up to the floor because it won't pass anyway?

He doesn't want the GOP members to be on record voting against things people like.


I'd go further and say voting against things to help people.

Nah, they're not evil for evil's sake. They just view absolutely everything through the lens of how will this help them gain or retain power and how will this make them more wealthy. If feeding the poor made Mitch McConnell richer he would be Mother Theresa.
1 x

User avatar
gflore34
All-Star
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Lansing, MI.
x 19
x 72

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby gflore34 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:11 pm

NOLA wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
Tim wrote:He doesn't want the GOP members to be on record voting against things people like.


I'd go further and say voting against things to help people.

Nah, they're not evil for evil's sake. They just view absolutely everything through the lens of how will this help them gain or retain power and how will this make them more wealthy. If feeding the poor made Mitch McConnell richer he would be Mother Theresa.


Definitely, the bottom line is all that matters to McConnell.
0 x

User avatar
muntjack
All-Star
Posts: 1829
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:22 am
Location: Mukilteo, WA
x 213
x 124

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby muntjack » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Perhaps we need to discuss the definition of evil.
9 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84058
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 14845
x 17276

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:00 pm

NOLA wrote:
gflore34 wrote:
Tim wrote:He doesn't want the GOP members to be on record voting against things people like.


I'd go further and say voting against things to help people.

Nah, they're not evil for evil's sake. They just view absolutely everything through the lens of how will this help them gain or retain power and how will this make them more wealthy.


That is splitting the tiniest of microscopic hairs.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 4412
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1478
x 1700

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby squally1313 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 pm

John Mulaney epipen.gif
2 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9405
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 441
x 3728

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:10 pm

Unleash the Swifties on Louis DeJoy
1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23954
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 937
x 2302

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:13 am

Image
4 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5999
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 5958
x 2526

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:50 am

So Trump's little brother died at 72. Absolutely no news about why he was hospitalized. Hmmmm.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
Guancous
All-Star
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:08 am
Location: Silver Spring, MD
x 1929
x 419

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby Guancous » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:15 am

An even bigger issue than the greed is the abject laziness. Solving problems takes research, empathy, and time.

It’s much easier to run a culture war grift to launder campaign funds.
4 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23530
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 404
x 818

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby CubinNY » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:08 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:So Trump's little brother died at 72. Absolutely no news about why he was hospitalized. Hmmmm.

Trump tweeted and then went out golfing with a washed up punter.

He has no human emotions.
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star
Posts: 4995
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 235
x 830

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby NonProfitCow » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:05 am

CubinNY wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:So Trump's little brother died at 72. Absolutely no news about why he was hospitalized. Hmmmm.

Trump tweeted and then went out golfing with a washed up punter.

He has no human emotions.

1 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14142
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2394
x 1533

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:18 pm

Eagerly awaiting that Kasich stump speech
0 x
Image

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5999
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 5958
x 2526

Re: Politics & Current Events

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:27 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Eagerly awaiting that Kasich stump speech

I recind everything I previously said about allowing Kasich to speak.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CoolHandLuke, Cubswin11, Derwood, Hairyducked Idiot, OleMissCub, TruffleShuffle, UMFan83 and 10 guests