The Politics Thread

The Logan
Superstar

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby The Logan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:38 pm

Yes. IIRC, there was a lot of pushback against her two years ago and the party wanted to move forward and she said just give her one last term.

The only way this doesn't bother me is if the Dems win the GA runoffs. If that happens it won't really matter who is in her position since the Dems will be able to do whatever they want.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:43 pm

0 x
Win it for Fred

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:54 pm

This is exactly correct.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:56 pm

UMFan83 wrote:https://twitter.com/rublekb/status/1329292481704374273?s=21

0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:59 pm

It's nothing, just a little election tampering performed by the POTUS and his party in the Senate and HOR.
1 x

Old Style
Superstar

Postby Old Style » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm

I'm past the point of wanting to see Bunker Bitch concede. I'm now hoping we get to watch him being physically removed from the White House by people with YUGE guns.
1 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:52 pm

thread:
Spoiler: show

1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 pm

I'm not an economics wonk, but I'm confused by the framing v. covid relief ideas. Is covid relief supposed to be an either/or proposition with student debt cancellation? I've always interpreted it as separate and additive/forward facing compared to anything addressing the pandemic. As such I'd think it makes more sense to compare against other similar reforms(e.g. child tax credit), and ideally reforms that are similarly possible to (theoretically) implement without controlling congress.
3 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:06 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
thread:

Good thread. The taxable piece in particular was one I was very curious about. Reinforces that it's only likely worthwhile as a legislative solution (where they can at the same time create the income tax exception), rather than just through exec order. Then if it's a legislative solution you can also look at solutions for fixing the reasons why costs are so sky high as well (hint, don't make federally backed loans so easy to get without strict cost measures from the universities accepting federally backed loans). I'd also say offer straight up federal block funding specifically for states that design affordable 4 year plans through a combined community college/state university system- again the grants can be targeted to states that put in legit cost controls.
3 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:13 pm

Seems that analysis is ignoring the fact that there are a slew of other progressive policies that can greatly affect those numbers, like a $15 federal minimum wage, lower taxes, universal health care, free tuition, etc.

It's all conjecture based on one result and nothing else. And it's not just about boosting the economy, it's about boosting the quality of life for people who have to spend money on that and not their crappy healthcare plan, or a mortgage, or a car payment, etc.

I didn't click through the links so maybe they go into it in more detail, but just reading that twitter thread it doesn't look like it takes any of that into account so I don't see why they would assume just this one radical left agenda policy gets pushed through but all the other ones that are much more palatable, logical, and realistically achievable are ignored.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:18 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:
thread:

Good thread. The taxable piece in particular was one I was very curious about. Reinforces that it's only likely worthwhile as a legislative solution (where they can at the same time create the income tax exception), rather than just through exec order. Then if it's a legislative solution you can also look at solutions for fixing the reasons why costs are so sky high as well (hint, don't make federally backed loans so easy to get without strict cost measures from the universities accepting federally backed loans). I'd also say offer straight up federal block funding specifically for states that design affordable 4 year plans through a combined community college/state university system- again the grants can be targeted to states that put in legit cost controls.

The legislative fix is to offer grants in aid as a replacement for student loans to subsidize higher education at a level that does not place a higher burden on the institutions to seek funding through FTE tuition.

During the Clinton Administration, one of the biggest giveaways to Newt was to alter the way higher education is funded. My first two years of college most of my tuition was paid for by need-based scholarships. After the GOP took over the House that all ended with Clinton's "The era of big government is over speech." The last two years of undergrad, I'm still paying for along with graduate school and my Doctoral program.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:32 pm

Glad my 11 year boycott of Tyson foods (Food Inc) has been justified. It's not surprising they treat their employees as inhumanely as their chickens...

0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:38 pm

CubinNY wrote:The legislative fix is to offer grants in aid as a replacement for student loans to subsidize higher education at a level that does not place a higher burden on the institutions to seek funding through FTE tuition.

During the Clinton Administration, one of the biggest giveaways to Newt was to alter the way higher education is funded. My first two years of college most of my tuition was paid for by need-based scholarships. After the GOP took over the House that all ended with Clinton's "The era of big government is over speech." The last two years of undergrad, I'm still paying for along with graduate school and my Doctoral program.

Yea, the funding method doesn't make sense. The federal government basically backs via loans an unlimited ability to get loans (the direct loans are capped, but parent plus loans are basically unlimited, just tell us what you want). Then the universities set their price because the loans are basically a blank check (including the ability of just hike prices each year).

It should look much more like medicare/medicaid where a government agency sets a reimbursement rate. Unlike medicare/medicaid though, it just needs to be enough of the size of the total education market that the fed government exerts price control, even if indirectly on the population that isn't subsidized.

I'd also say leave this totally focused on the tuition portion. As it relates to room and board, let the free market reign. The private market isn't going to loan wads of money for non federally backed loans for non educational extras. Those would be dischargeable debt through bankruptcy like any other private loan. Totally separate to all this, push progrssive policy on things like miminum wage and your average student might actually be able to work their way through the room and board aspect while the actual education component is subsidized full/significantly.
1 x

CubColtPacer
Superstar

Postby CubColtPacer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:10 pm

The Logan wrote:Yes. IIRC, there was a lot of pushback against her two years ago and the party wanted to move forward and she said just give her one last term.

The only way this doesn't bother me is if the Dems win the GA runoffs. If that happens it won't really matter who is in her position since the Dems will be able to do whatever they want.

I would still warn that this isn't really true. Finding things that the 10 most progressive Democrats in the House want to vote for, but that Joe Manchin will also vote for would be a really tough puzzle. It's similar to the Republicans in 2017-2018 finding things were harder than they expected, but in this case the margins are even tighter.

The Democrats getting 50 seats in the Senate would be really good for them in terms of just things the Senate votes on (Cabinet, judges, etc.), and it also forces things that will have mostly Democrat support to come to the floor. But it won't change that they will need some Republican votes in order to realistically get most things through.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:14 pm

CubinNY wrote:This is exactly correct.

Yes, they should impeach him. They won’t, but they should
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:22 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:The legislative fix is to offer grants in aid as a replacement for student loans to subsidize higher education at a level that does not place a higher burden on the institutions to seek funding through FTE tuition.

Yea, the funding method doesn't make sense. The federal government basically backs via loans an unlimited ability to get loans (the direct loans are capped, but parent plus loans are basically unlimited, just tell us what you want). Then the universities set their price because the loans are basically a blank check (including the ability of just hike prices each year).

It should look much more like medicare/medicaid where a government agency sets a reimbursement rate. Unlike medicare/medicaid though, it just needs to be enough of the size of the total education market that the fed government exerts price control, even if indirectly on the population that isn't subsidized.

I'd also say leave this totally focused on the tuition portion. As it relates to room and board, let the free market reign. The private market isn't going to loan wads of money for non federally backed loans for non educational extras. Those would be dischargeable debt through bankruptcy like any other private loan. Totally separate to all this, push progrssive policy on things like miminum wage and your average student might actually be able to work their way through the room and board aspect while the actual education component is subsidized full/significantly.

Also reminder that the VAST VAST amount of college enrollees are at public universities. Corner a significant amount of that market with cooperative grants/aids between fed and states, and you can drive the whole market down. Then cut the legs out from the current subsidized loan market. And then just write a check to every student from the past 20 years (whether they paid off their student loan already or not) to say you're sorry for the bizarre market you incentivized.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:25 pm

0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 pm

1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:44 pm

0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Using the Rudy election logic I believe we can make a case that the Chicago Cubs are the 2020 World Series Champions.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Brian wrote:

Rudy is an idiot, but lets face it: Marissa Tomei is HOOOOT

that makes any of her movies worth referencing
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:55 pm

1 x

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:56 pm

2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 pm

Banedon wrote:https://twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1329465130099351556

this (and say, the Oregon Bundy horsefeathers) is why all the election theatrics is so horsefeathering dangerous. The more the trump admin acts like they were cheated, the more courts throw out his challenges, the more horsefeathers like this will claim the "system is rigged" against them and the bolder and more violent they will become

we don't need to impeach trump, we need to hang him and his [expletive] followers for treason
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:08 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Banedon wrote:https://twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1329465130099351556

this (and say, the Oregon Bundy horsefeathers) is why all the election theatrics is so horsefeathering dangerous. The more the trump admin acts like they were cheated, the more courts throw out his challenges, the more horsefeathers like this will claim the "system is rigged" against them and the bolder and more violent they will become

minnesotacubsfan wrote:we don't need to impeach trump, we need to hang him and his [expletive] followers for treason

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”