TV thread

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:01 am

snoodmonger wrote:[self-promotion]All new LA to Vegas tonight! Watch it! If you haven't tried it yet, go to hulu and get caught up. I promise, it's a fun, silly show, and Dylan McDermott will make you laugh. Also, I have a five-month-old baby and would love to not be job hunting again! Check it out![/self-promotion]

I hope it just keeps getting more absurd. Give me more like the red door and co-pilot randomly being a gigantic cokehead with an $80k car.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:06 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:[self-promotion]All new LA to Vegas tonight! Watch it! If you haven't tried it yet, go to hulu and get caught up. I promise, it's a fun, silly show, and Dylan McDermott will make you laugh. Also, I have a five-month-old baby and would love to not be job hunting again! Check it out![/self-promotion]

I hope it just keeps getting more absurd. Give me more like the red door and co-pilot randomly being a gigantic cokehead with an $80k car.

The co-pilot is hilarious as that complete idiot and social outcast that somehow is kicking ass at life outside of the viewer's eye.
1 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:49 am

Proven Veteran wrote:Brooklyn 99 and AP Bio likely cancelled.

5 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:53 am

Yeah, I never want B99 to go away, but honestly, it's a miracle it survived this long. Their ratings were terrible.
1 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:41 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Hahaha, the red door bit was alllllll snood, so I'm glad you liked it!
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 am

0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Lisa freakin Loeb was on AP Bio. That took me back. And she's pretty much ageless.
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:05 am

javy knows my name wrote:Who would you have cast instead? Not being argumentative, because I basically agree. But, what you describe in the first half of your character description is executed to a tee by Ritter, IMO. She's also the second half of that sentence; and I'm not sure one can be done without the other. Heroines are complex as horsefeathers in general, but she's an anti-heroine. I'm not sure our puny man-brains can take it. Every woman I've talked to about this show has loved it and doesn't see it this way.

I know I'm jumping here late, but I've come to realize that I love Jessica Jones' character so much because she's essentially the same character as Starbuck on the BSG reboot. Think about it for a second - the similarities are striking. The biggest differences are that she has superpowers, they're in space, and the other characters around her aren't as interesting as BSG.

I bolded the sentences above, because I think this is a big part of it. Even fairly enlightened men aren't used to seeing women that don't follow very simple tropes on TV. I mean, most male characters are oversimplified tropes too, but there and order of magnitude more of them. We've been fortunate enough to have enough complex male characters make it into pop culture for them not to seem weird.
1 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:31 am

Agreed, the character is great, but I'm gonna be That Guy and wish they had stuck more to the source material because THAT Jessica comes across more, IMO, along the lines of what you and tree are talking about. Now that I've finished the 2nd season, I wonder if they might have tailored it more to Ritter's performance or if this is why she's been playing it like this the whole time since so much of it seemed hinged on the idea of her, at times, being in kind of a stunted adolescence because of the trauma she experienced at that time in her life.

Comic Jessica experienced the loss of her family at the same time in her life, though she then had the whole period of actually trying to be a superhero and enjoying it (plus didn't have the horsefeathers up step-family situation of the TV show) and THEN the trauma of Kilgrave happened and that's what lead her to being the woman we meet when the series starts. TV Jessica had her life change when her family died and it's all downhill from there; she never had a chance to be anything but the shattered teenager.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:58 am

I mentioned this show before, but I don't think anyone here has watched it yet. You guys should check it. The show is called Counterpart and features an amazing cast with J.K. Simmons in the lead role. He's excellent in it. The first season is almost over and it's already been picked up for a second season.

I'm posting a link to the trailer, but putting in a spoiler warning for anyone interested in the show. The trailer gives away a lot of the plot and mystery of the show.

Spoiler: show
(Spoiler Alert)
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:48 am

Regular Show wrote:I mentioned this show before, but I don't think anyone here has watched it yet. You guys should check it. The show is called Counterpart and features an amazing cast with J.K. Simmons in the lead role. He's excellent in it. The first season is almost over and it's already been picked up for a second season.

I'm posting a link to the trailer, but putting in a spoiler warning for anyone interested in the show. The trailer gives away a lot of the plot and mystery of the show.

(Spoiler Alert)

This channel was on when we were watching something on DVR and after it ended the first thing I saw was some lady saying something like "they are going to replace the counterpart" and I saw the title of the show so I knew it would suck.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:34 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Regular Show wrote:I mentioned this show before, but I don't think anyone here has watched it yet. You guys should check it. The show is called Counterpart and features an amazing cast with J.K. Simmons in the lead role. He's excellent in it. The first season is almost over and it's already been picked up for a second season.

(Spoiler Alert)

This channel was on when we were watching something on DVR and after it ended the first thing I saw was some lady saying something like "they are going to replace the counterpart" and I saw the title of the show so I knew it would suck.

Well, I don't know how you personally measure which TV shows suck lol. That seems like a good way to tell though...

The premise of the show is a little out there and the title is indeed boring. I gave it a chance and it surprised me -- it's a really good show and getting better. The word "counterpart" is actually pretty important considering it's a spy show.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:06 pm

Regular Show wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

(Spoiler Alert)

Well, I don't know how you personally measure what TV shows suck lol. That seems like a good way to tell though...

Our next target on the blacklist...
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:13 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:This channel was on when we were watching something on DVR and after it ended the first thing I saw was some lady saying something like "they are going to replace the counterpart" and I saw the title of the show so I knew it would suck.

Well, I don't know how you personally measure what TV shows suck lol. That seems like a good way to tell though...

Our next target on the blacklist...

I think you're making fun of the NBC show "Blacklist" right? I never watched that show. I had some friends that liked the first season, but I never got into it. I believe Counterpart is way better than Blacklist, but I never watched the latter so I don't know what to tell you.

It's a good show is all I'll say. Just watch the first episode and give it a chance.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:15 am

Blacklist was fun for a while, due in large part to Spader. It's been godawful for at least 2 seasons now.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:26 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:

(Spoiler Alert)

it's a dumb name, but the show does have sparkling reviews. i am intrigued.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 am

17 Seconds wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

(Spoiler Alert)

it is a dumb name, but the show does have sparkling reviews. i am intrigued.

Yeah, the name is dumb. I like J.K. Simmons so I decided to give it a shot. Totally worth it.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:27 pm

2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:30 pm

I dunno... Maybe it being on YouTube Red has me automatically skeptical....

0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 pm

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:23 pm

I watched Roseanne last night. I probably won't watch anymore. It wasn't really bad, but it wasn't as good as the original, and just not good enough to keep me watching. Roseanne doesn't seem to have the same comic timing she used to. John Goodman looked like he was reading cue cards a few times.

The part of the show that really did work was Darlene and her kids.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Jeeeeesus....18.2 million people watched Roseanne.
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:53 pm

Banedon wrote:I watched Roseanne last night. I probably won't watch anymore. It wasn't really bad, but it wasn't as good as the original, and just not good enough to keep me watching. Roseanne doesn't seem to have the same comic timing she used to. John Goodman looked like he was reading cue cards a few times.

The part of the show that really did work was Darlene and her kids.

It was awful at best, it was way too forced. I can't see it going into season 2. The focus on politics was irritating, but the acting was just brutal. The stuff they did in the original was subtle as far as both Beckys as well as Dan dying but now they're trying too hard and it didn't work.

I won't watch it again either.
0 x
1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:56 pm

The kid who plays the transgender kid is from Hoboken and my wife knows the mom so I think we're roped into watching. But I'll put up a fight about it.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Banedon wrote:John Goodman looked like

1 x

Return to “Social”