TV thread

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65083
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3928
x 4008

Re: TV thread

Postby Banedon » Tue May 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:2 posts up.


Image
1 x
Image

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11905
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 168
x 174
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby snoodmonger » Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I thought most of the season was just OK (which is fine with so many good people on the show), but I REALLY liked the finale. A lot of things happened that felt like they should have happened at least a season ago.


hotter take: the finale was the only good episode of this season
1 x

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11905
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 168
x 174
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby snoodmonger » Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:And, holy horsefeathers, that Barry finale. Kinda makes me wish it was a one and done thing, or even had been a movie instead, with how well it wrapped up.


I think it's the best comedy on television right now.
0 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 49300
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop
x 422
x 1186

Re: TV thread

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue May 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Banedon wrote:
ESPN Films and Netflix are set to release a 10-part documentary profiling NBA legend Michael Jordan in 2019.


It'd be nice if this wasn't just 10 hours of fawning about Saint Michael, but I'm not holding my breath.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73302
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7475
x 10001

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:And, holy horsefeathers, that Barry finale. Kinda makes me wish it was a one and done thing, or even had been a movie instead, with how well it wrapped up.


I think it's the best comedy on television right now.


I was hooked; NoHo Hank cracks me up more than maybe any other character on TV right now.

What did you think along the lines of what I said about kind of wishing this was a standalone miniseries, or even if it had been a movie instead? It kinda seems like they're in a bit of a corner. Like, it seems like revealing that Barry...

► Show Spoiler
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73302
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7475
x 10001

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 15, 2018 8:01 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I thought most of the season was just OK (which is fine with so many good people on the show), but I REALLY liked the finale. A lot of things happened that felt like they should have happened at least a season ago.


hotter take: the finale was the only good episode of this season


I really, really hope that Gavin is mostly done as being anything but someone who occasionally pops up like the 3 Comma guy. I thought it was potentially interesting when it seemed like they were setting it up like Richard and Gavin were going to be not just partners, but actually working together, but then they immediately bailed on that and had Gavin just up and leave...and even that would have been fine if they didn't then inexplicably scrub that a few episodes later so that he spent all of this season pointlessly as the old Gavin.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22057
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 598
x 1000

Re: TV thread

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue May 15, 2018 8:28 pm

i haven't seen the silicon valley finale yet, but the worst part of the show is dinesh's character. i don't know what they're trying to do there, but it's hard to watch.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73302
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7475
x 10001

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 15, 2018 8:31 pm

17 Seconds wrote:i haven't seen the silicon valley finale yet, but the worst part of the show is dinesh's character. i don't know what they're trying to do there, but it's hard to watch.


They've worked him into a corner of basically being extremely annoying, but also completely useless. It's only by the grace of Kumail that I don't find the character completely terrible, but, horsefeathers, at least make him good at SOMETHING. Why would anyone tolerate him at this point? Especially after the whole mole debacle?
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22057
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 598
x 1000

Re: TV thread

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:i haven't seen the silicon valley finale yet, but the worst part of the show is dinesh's character. i don't know what they're trying to do there, but it's hard to watch.


They've worked him into a corner of basically being extremely annoying, but also completely useless. It's only by the grace of Kumail that I don't find the character completely terrible, but, horsefeathers, at least make him good at SOMETHING. Why would anyone tolerate him at this point? Especially after the whole mole debacle?


kumail nanjiani probably knows it's terrible too, but there's nothing he can really do. i feel bad for him watching it. i can enjoy cringe humor, but it's just so poorly done in this case. but maybe people actually find it funny? i haven't really seen anybody talking about it.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73302
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7475
x 10001

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 15, 2018 8:39 pm

17 Seconds wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:i haven't seen the silicon valley finale yet, but the worst part of the show is dinesh's character. i don't know what they're trying to do there, but it's hard to watch.


They've worked him into a corner of basically being extremely annoying, but also completely useless. It's only by the grace of Kumail that I don't find the character completely terrible, but, horsefeathers, at least make him good at SOMETHING. Why would anyone tolerate him at this point? Especially after the whole mole debacle?


kumail probably knows it's terrible to, but there's nothing he can really do. i feel bad for him watching it. i can enjoy cringe humor, but it's just so poorly done in this case. but maybe people actually find it funny? i haven't really seen anybody talking about it.


Nah, a lot of people commenting on reviews for the show have brought up things, like, "what the hell is the point of Dinesh?"

If they were just going to have him be this obnoxious clown, I would have preferred if they had actually let him spin off with the whole, "being his own terrible CEO" thing. Then he could have been one of the companies investing in the whole new internet idea. He'd still be a douche, but at least a douche with some agency and purpose instead of just the guy who always fails and everyone hates.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22057
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 598
x 1000

Re: TV thread

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue May 15, 2018 8:45 pm

at least it makes gilfoyle better, because now we know he treats dinesh like garbage constantly because he is actually is garbage.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73302
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7475
x 10001

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Yeah, when the Satan-worshiping, casually racist, obnoxiously nihilist, crypto-currency dude is more likable than the guy played by Kumail Nanjiani, that's....well, I guess that's some kind of accomplishment.
2 x

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11905
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 168
x 174
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby snoodmonger » Tue May 15, 2018 9:17 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:And, holy horsefeathers, that Barry finale. Kinda makes me wish it was a one and done thing, or even had been a movie instead, with how well it wrapped up.


I think it's the best comedy on television right now.


I was hooked; NoHo Hank cracks me up more than maybe any other character on TV right now.

What did you think along the lines of what I said about kind of wishing this was a standalone miniseries, or even if it had been a movie instead? It kinda seems like they're in a bit of a corner. Like, it seems like revealing that Barry...

► Show Spoiler


It's definitely a series that needs to have a set number of seasons and a plan, imo. And I agree, it probably would have worked best as a standalone miniseries. You can already poke holes in it if you really want to, but I'm not that kind of TV viewer, generally. That said, there will come a point in time (perhaps sooner than later) where it will be impossible to ignore the fact they should be able to catch Barry. And there should PROBABLY come a time where the viewer dislikes Barry. It probably should've already happened, given what we've seen him do. But it hasn't for me.

That said, Bill Hader was so good. And so was Winkler. And so were Sally and Janice. And some of the stuff they did like:
Spoiler: show
killing the old army buddy, killing Janice
... so ballsy. I thought it was pretty amazing.
1 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 32798
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 606
x 4294

Re: TV thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue May 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
rocket wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:And, holy horsefeathers, that Barry finale. Kinda makes me wish it was a one and done thing, or even had been a movie instead, with how well it wrapped up.


i didn't know there could be a better henry winkler character than barry zuckercorn, but here we are.


Don't forget Sy Mittleman from Children's Hospital.

Winkler's flip to total comedy ringer basically from Scream onwards is pretty great.

Dr. Saperstein is up there as well
1 x
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66257
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 719
x 1473

Re: TV thread

Postby Derwood » Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 pm

DirecTV redesigned its U.I. and I'm very annoyed
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65083
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3928
x 4008

Re: TV thread

Postby Banedon » Thu May 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Derwood wrote:DirecTV redesigned its U.I. and I'm very annoyed


I don't like some of transparent elements, but other than that, I got used to it pretty quick. Some bits are improvements.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57365
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1854
x 6127

Re: TV thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:DirecTV redesigned its U.I. and I'm very annoyed


I don't like some of transparent elements, but other than that, I got used to it pretty quick. Some bits are improvements.

Scrolling through your dvr list sucks
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65083
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3928
x 4008

Re: TV thread

Postby Banedon » Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:DirecTV redesigned its U.I. and I'm very annoyed


I don't like some of transparent elements, but other than that, I got used to it pretty quick. Some bits are improvements.

Scrolling through your dvr list sucks


Yeah that's true, it does.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 66257
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 719
x 1473

Re: TV thread

Postby Derwood » Thu May 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Yeah, everything is choppy and laggy. I feel like they're trying to make it look like Comcast or UVerse, which have awful UI's
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5613
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 66
x 1151

Re: TV thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Haven't really taken the time to dig around the new UI/settings, but it seems Search was also changed. Not a fan.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65083
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3928
x 4008

Re: TV thread

Postby Banedon » Thu May 17, 2018 4:43 pm

1 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 54989
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 365
x 4958

Re: TV thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 17, 2018 4:50 pm

I really hope Tina Fey makes another show quickly, I've been rewatching Kimmy Schmidt Season 3 and I just love the rapid fire style from it and 30 Rock so much.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65083
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3928
x 4008

Re: TV thread

Postby Banedon » Thu May 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I really hope Tina Fey makes another show quickly, I've been rewatching Kimmy Schmidt Season 3 and I just love the rapid fire style from it and 30 Rock so much.


Great News had a lot of that, but just got cancelled so there's only 2 seasons worth of that. I really liked it though.
0 x
Image

Bertz
Role Player
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 51
x 89

Re: TV thread

Postby Bertz » Thu May 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I really hope Tina Fey makes another show quickly, I've been rewatching Kimmy Schmidt Season 3 and I just love the rapid fire style from it and 30 Rock so much.


I haven't watched too much and Fey isn't as directly involved as in Kimmy Schmidt and 30 Rock, but Great News might help scratch that itch. (and of course it was just cancelled)

Edit: Beaten
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73302
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7475
x 10001

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu May 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Great News was a ton of fun, so, of course, it was a pain in the ass to watch. I think Hulu only has the second season, and maybe not even all of it.
0 x


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hairyducked Idiot and 4 guests