TV thread

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74373
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7992
x 10821

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 30, 2018 1:18 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:It's not going away forever you babies


Obviously, but it's a dumb, totally unecessary meatball move to begin with. Getting your currently running, very popular show dumped that is essentially designed around the type of persona/rhetoric that got her fired is more than fair. There's zero need to also go after past work.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65392
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4249
x 4228

Re: TV thread

Postby Banedon » Wed May 30, 2018 1:19 pm

It's a toxic brand right now.

And I don't think the Michael Richards thing is a fair comparison. As far as I'm aware, he didn't have nearly the history that Roseanne does as far as racism and political controversy.

A few years ago, TV Land stopped show the Dukes of Hazzard because of the confederate flag on the General Lee.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8285
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 2831
x 278

Re: TV thread

Postby Old Style » Wed May 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Image

Maybe she should have read the label before taking it.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57656
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2005
x 6556

Re: TV thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed May 30, 2018 2:22 pm

A Roseanne show without Roseanne could be tremendous television and relevant to millions of people with horsefeathers old parents, and how we deal with their death.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10469
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 13
x 200

Re: TV thread

Postby biittner77 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:02 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:A Roseanne show without Roseanne could be tremendous television and relevant to millions of people with horsefeathers old parents, and how we deal with their death.


That's not a bad idea for a show but it would be better with different characters that didn't all live in the same house and were more diverse in terms of income and family situations.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 2478
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 502
x 767

Re: TV thread

Postby Brian707 » Wed May 30, 2018 4:31 pm

horsefeathering Snowflake...

0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6011
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 73
x 1365

Re: TV thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed May 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Aggrieved, butthurt, whatever term one wants to use. That's Trumpists & modern Republicans. It drives everything they say & do.
0 x

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 8967
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1251
x 513

Re: TV thread

Postby javy knows my name » Wed May 30, 2018 5:44 pm

It's a shame no one ever considers the insanely rich and powerful white man's feelings
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67057
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 822
x 1642

Re: TV thread

Postby Derwood » Wed May 30, 2018 7:01 pm

javy knows my name wrote:It's a shame no one ever considers the insanely rich and powerful white man's feelings


Also, horrible racism = just being mean
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 1968
x 351

Re: TV thread

Postby cl smooth » Thu May 31, 2018 3:36 am

the americans were able to stick the landing. Fantastic series finale.

Spoiler: show
“I’m not sure how to say this...but Renee might be one of us. I’m not sure.” Philip was as cold as ICE.
3 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33084
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1296
x 1188

Re: TV thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu May 31, 2018 4:50 am

cl smooth wrote:the americans were able to stick the landing. Fantastic series finale.

Spoiler: show
“I’m not sure how to say this...but Renee might be one of us. I’m not sure.” Philip was as cold as ICE.


It seems like judging from the early reactions, the one scene I hated was one that everyone else loved, so it's just me:

Spoiler: show
They had to contrive so hard to get that garage scene. Oops, the FBI is incompetent again and can't take not-blurry surveillance photos, buying us *just* enough time for Stan to go off on his own one last time before they get the sketches that prove him right. And Stan "My entire character is about how I've torched my life due to my devotion for the job and the only thing I have to live for is revenge for Sofia's killer because of leftover Nina issues" Beeman lets them go. It didn't make any sense.


But literally everything else about the episode was perfect.
0 x

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11917
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 173
x 189
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby snoodmonger » Thu May 31, 2018 6:35 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
cl smooth wrote:the americans were able to stick the landing. Fantastic series finale.

Spoiler: show
“I’m not sure how to say this...but Renee might be one of us. I’m not sure.” Philip was as cold as ICE.


It seems like judging from the early reactions, the one scene I hated was one that everyone else loved, so it's just me:

Spoiler: show
They had to contrive so hard to get that garage scene. Oops, the FBI is incompetent again and can't take not-blurry surveillance photos, buying us *just* enough time for Stan to go off on his own one last time before they get the sketches that prove him right. And Stan "My entire character is about how I've torched my life due to my devotion for the job and the only thing I have to live for is revenge for Sofia's killer because of leftover Nina issues" Beeman lets them go. It didn't make any sense.


But literally everything else about the episode was perfect.


That scene will be seen by many as the best scene because it was the most tense, but I--like you--don't buy how it played out.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33084
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1296
x 1188

Re: TV thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu May 31, 2018 6:53 am

I don't think I've ever lost it to a TV show the way I did when they cued up Brothers in Arms
0 x

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11917
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 173
x 189
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby snoodmonger » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:50 am

I would like people's takes on Paige's decision. (Why she did it, what we're to believe will happen to her)
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57656
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2005
x 6556

Re: TV thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:05 am

snoodmonger wrote:I would like people's takes on Paige's decision. (Why she did it, what we're to believe will happen to her)

She was never on board. She liked the concept but the more she thought about the practice she was disgusted. She felt lied to at every corner and in the end was somewhat jealous of Henry's "ignorance". She had no future in the USSR and felt she had a chance in the USA. She passed the point of no return when calling her mother a whore and only briefly came back into the fold under duress.

She also liked quarter pounders
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11917
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 173
x 189
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby snoodmonger » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:16 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:I would like people's takes on Paige's decision. (Why she did it, what we're to believe will happen to her)

She was never on board. She liked the concept but the more she thought about the practice she was disgusted. She felt lied to at every corner and in the end was somewhat jealous of Henry's "ignorance". She had no future in the USSR and felt she had a chance in the USA. She passed the point of no return when calling her mother a whore and only briefly came back into the fold under duress.

She also liked quarter pounders

Spoiler: show
So are we to believe that she's going to live her life undercover? Or that she'll be able to play like she didn't know, and since only Beeman knew for sure she was in on it, she might be able to get away with it? Because neither option feels very plausible to me.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57656
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2005
x 6556

Re: TV thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:24 am

snoodmonger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:I would like people's takes on Paige's decision. (Why she did it, what we're to believe will happen to her)

She was never on board. She liked the concept but the more she thought about the practice she was disgusted. She felt lied to at every corner and in the end was somewhat jealous of Henry's "ignorance". She had no future in the USSR and felt she had a chance in the USA. She passed the point of no return when calling her mother a whore and only briefly came back into the fold under duress.

She also liked quarter pounders

Spoiler: show
So are we to believe that she's going to live her life undercover? Or that she'll be able to play like she didn't know, and since only Beeman knew for sure she was in on it, she might be able to get away with it? Because neither option feels very plausible to me.

I think she goes into custody within hours spends a couple years in confinement and eventually goes free. This isn't Siberia. She plays dumb, stan covers his ass and she spends the next three years with people looking over her shoulder then the USSR collapses. Henry becomes an aluminum tycoon and she marries him GOT style.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11917
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:53 am
Location: LA
x 173
x 189
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby snoodmonger » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:45 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:She was never on board. She liked the concept but the more she thought about the practice she was disgusted. She felt lied to at every corner and in the end was somewhat jealous of Henry's "ignorance". She had no future in the USSR and felt she had a chance in the USA. She passed the point of no return when calling her mother a whore and only briefly came back into the fold under duress.

She also liked quarter pounders

Spoiler: show
So are we to believe that she's going to live her life undercover? Or that she'll be able to play like she didn't know, and since only Beeman knew for sure she was in on it, she might be able to get away with it? Because neither option feels very plausible to me.

I think she goes into custody within hours spends a couple years in confinement and eventually goes free. This isn't Siberia. She plays dumb, stan covers his ass and she spends the next three years with people looking over her shoulder then the USSR collapses. Henry becomes an aluminum tycoon and she marries him GOT style.

i'd watch that show
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33084
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1296
x 1188

Re: TV thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:49 am

I'm really not sure what happened to Paige. I'm OK with being not sure.

The fact that she went back to Claudia's place and not her own apartment might be a sign that she wasn't going to play dumb, although that's still a reasonable possibility.

She may have a little training, but she doesn't have the connections or the tradecraft to live under a fake identiy for the rest of her life.

It's really hard to envision her going to prison for any length of time.

The interview with the writers I saw last night made them seem pretty high on the idea that it wasn't their job to know what happened to anyone after the show itself is over.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10469
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 13
x 200

Re: TV thread

Postby biittner77 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:43 am

I saw that Andrew Lincoln is leaving The Walking Dead. Evidently they're turning over the lead to Norman Redus. Why they don't just announce that next season will be the last is beyond me. Ratings have plummeted and the show is a train crashing into a dumpster fire and the dumpster is full of burning tires. It's not even worth hate watching. Maybe they're trying to make some sort of statement about the show itself really is the Walking Dead.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/and ... 32954.html
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6011
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 73
x 1365

Re: TV thread

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:25 pm

0 x

Forgotmyoldlogin
Role Player
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 am
x 5
x 23

Re: TV thread

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:51 am

The new season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is great. The third episode is perfect.
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 36666
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 953
x 1286

Re: TV thread

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:16 pm



Image
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74373
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7992
x 10821

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:46 pm

2 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57656
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2005
x 6556

Re: TV thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:30 pm

3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests