TV thread

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: TV thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue May 21, 2019 1:58 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:[expletive], this Chernobyl miniseries is like some kind of horsefeathers up horror movie.

That’s next on my list now that I caught up on GoT and Barry.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 am

Hey guys, good news (for me), I got staffed on a show! It's a multicam on FOX called "Outmatched" that no one here will ever watch, but I don't care because these jobs are borderline impossible to get, especially since everyone in the writers guild had to fire their agents.

Anyway, you should watch it because I'm having a second baby and would love to stay employed.
12 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 21, 2019 2:25 am

snoodmonger wrote:especially since everyone in the writers guild had to fire their agents

Wait, what happened?

And congratulations!
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 21, 2019 2:43 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:especially since everyone in the writers guild had to fire their agents

Wait, what happened?

And congratulations!

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/13/71303020 ... eir-agents

At the center of the conflict is a complaint among writers that their agents are not just drastically out-earning them, but preventing them from receiving better pay. The dispute threatens to hinder production at a time when the major broadcast networks are typically staffing up for their fall lineups. It could also lead to job losses in the industry.

"This whole fight is really about the fact that in a period of unprecedented profits and growth of our business ... writers themselves are actually earning less," said Goodman.

A main point of contention involves what are known as packaging fees, the money that agents get from a studio when they provide a roster of talent for a film or TV project. Traditionally, agents would earn a 10 percent commission for the work their clients receive from a studio. But with packaging fees, they are compensated by the studios directly. "They are not incentivized to increase the income of those writers," Goodman said.

Writers are also protesting a shift in the business model in recent years at some of Hollywood's largest talent agencies. Agents have increasingly entered the film and TV businesses as producers, and writers contend that such a dual-hat arrangement represents a conflict of interest.
1 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Tue May 21, 2019 2:51 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Wait, what happened?

And congratulations!

it's complicated but basically the writers guild and association of talent agents have been in a dispute over packaging fees charged by the agencies.

here are two articles that try to explain it.
https://www.vulture.com/article/wga-hollywood-agents-packaging-explained.html
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/writers-agents-wga-ata-writers-guild-of-america-association-of-talent-agents-1202057979/

The nuts and bolts of it is, originally agents made their money by getting 10% of whatever they negotiated for the writer.

Then they started packaging shows (attaching directors, actors, etc.) And they started charging studios and networks fees for this and taking a ton of money off the top of the show. (Up to 100K per episode that comes out of the production budget, and then even more if the show ever achieves profits.)

In this scenario, the suddenly the agency sometimes makes more money than the show creator. And the agency is incentivized to try to maximize their fees rather than maximize writer salaries since both come from the same pot of money, and they make way more from the fees. This is all super simplified, but basically agencies have a huge conflict of interest when it comes to packaging fees.

The second part of the dispute is that the big talent agencies (WME, CAA, ICM, and UTA) are all creating production companies. In that scenario, your agent is supposed to negotiate on your behalf against its parent company. Easy to see where that can go sideways It's bananas.

So blah blah blah, the two groups negotiated and neither budged so the WGA took a vote and we all agreed to fire our agents until they signed a new code of conduct agreeing to end these practices. They didn't sign, we fired our agents and now it's staffing season, which is always stressful, but it's even more stressful without representation.
2 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue May 21, 2019 2:51 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:[expletive], this Chernobyl miniseries is like some kind of horsefeathers up horror movie.

It's extremely well done. Loving it. But yes, it's absolutely horrifying. I need Jared Harris in all of my shows.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 21, 2019 2:54 pm

OleMissCub wrote:

It's extremely well done. Loving it. But yes, it's absolutely horrifying. I need Jared Harris in all of my shows.

he's a great all purpose european
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue May 21, 2019 2:54 pm

I have zero interest in this show. It must be torturous to watch
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 21, 2019 3:01 pm

snoodmonger wrote:Hey guys, good news (for me), I got staffed on a show! It's a multicam on FOX called "Outmatched" that no one here will ever watch, but I don't care because these jobs are borderline impossible to get, especially since everyone in the writers guild had to fire their agents.

Anyway, you should watch it because I'm having a second baby and would love to stay employed.

Sounds like you got an in with Lon.

I've got some south jersey stories I'd be happy to bounce off you if you're hard up
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 pm

javy knows my name wrote:

I have zero interest in this show. It must be torturous to watch

It is, but in a good way.

I weirdly like it in a lot of the same ways I liked that other Jared Harris miniseries, The Terror.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 21, 2019 3:59 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

he's a great all purpose european

And as backup, they cast the true all purpose Hollywood European....Stellar Skateboard.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 21, 2019 4:09 pm

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Banedon wrote:

Depends on whether or not you like horsefeathers up horror movies!
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 21, 2019 4:13 pm

snoodmonger wrote:Hey guys, good news (for me), I got staffed on a show! It's a multicam on FOX called "Outmatched" that no one here will ever watch, but I don't care because these jobs are borderline impossible to get, especially since everyone in the writers guild had to fire their agents.

Really happy for ya, man. Good luck!
1 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:33 pm

I haven't had time to watch past the second episode but I like Catch 22 so far. Some really great castings, especially George Clooney as General Cathcart.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Tue May 21, 2019 4:36 pm

Banedon wrote:

it's great
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 21, 2019 6:31 pm

I just downloaded the HBOGO app for my PS4 so I can watch older seasons of shows that are no longer available on demand. I'm setting it up to authenticate through DirecTV, but i'm getting login errors on the authentication site. Apparently this has been a known issue with ATT/DirecTV for over a year now.

Has anyone dealt with this, and if so, what was your work around?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Derwood wrote:I just downloaded the HBOGO app for my PS4 so I can watch older seasons of shows that are no longer available on demand. I'm setting it up to authenticate through DirecTV, but i'm getting login errors on the authentication site. Apparently this has been a known issue with ATT/DirecTV for over a year now.

I have HBOGo on my phone, laptop and appletv and haven't had any issues except for when I forget my directv login and have to reset.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Derwood wrote:I just downloaded the HBOGO app for my PS4 so I can watch older seasons of shows that are no longer available on demand. I'm setting it up to authenticate through DirecTV, but i'm getting login errors on the authentication site. Apparently this has been a known issue with ATT/DirecTV for over a year now.

Try authenticating via your phone while connected to your 4G instead of being connected to your WiFi.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 21, 2019 6:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

I have HBOGo on my phone, laptop and appletv and haven't had any issues except for when I forget my directv login and have to reset.

I can directly log in to the DirecTV site with no issues. It's the redirect from the app to the DirecTV authentication page (to prove that I'm subscribed to HBO) that is rejecting my login
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 21, 2019 6:38 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Try authenticating via your phone while connected to your 4G instead of being connected to your WiFi.

I'll give it a go
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 21, 2019 6:38 pm

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I can directly log in to the DirecTV site with no issues. It's the redirect from the app to the DirecTV authentication page (to prove that I'm subscribed to HBO) that is rejecting my login

Try doing it through something other than the PS4.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 21, 2019 6:44 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I have HBOGo on my phone, laptop and appletv and haven't had any issues except for when I forget my directv login and have to reset.

I've tried through the laptop and phone. I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later."
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I've tried through the laptop and phone. I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later."

Maybe try it again later
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 21, 2019 6:54 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Try doing it through something other than the PS4.

Maybe try it again later

You'd think, but I'm seeing a lot of posts by people with similar issues
0 x

Return to “Social”