Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:44 am

horsefeathers. Yes.

1 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:51 am

they were filming on my block last week. saw frank langella chilling by a laundromat.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathers. Yes.

I'm still only mid-season 2 on this. Getting caught up in time for this season may be tough.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Banedon wrote:

I'm still only mid-season 2 on this. Getting caught up in time for this season may be tough.

you're getting into peak americans time and should be able to fly through
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Yeah, I'm genuinely jealous of you.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:54 pm

I think the most exciting thing from the trailer is that Philip is stepping up his wig game to incorporate a horsefeathering COWBOY HAT.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Banedon wrote:

I'm watching it with my wife, who has seen every episode multiple times. We're in the middle of season 2 as well. It's freaking hard with a baby, last night we started and stopped three times and by the time we finally got the baby down for the night we realized we had only watched about 8 minutes of the episode.
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Because I'm a sucker for time travel, I started watching that show "Timeless" on Hulu. For a Network show, it's actually quite enjoyable and well-done. It's almost a nostalgic show in that it reminds me of 90's shows like Quantum Leap or Sliders and doesn't take itself too seriously. The premise is that a madman has stolen a time machine and is going back in history to screw up historical events. The company that built the time machine had a backup machine and they use it to send a team through history to chase him and stop him from messing up the timeline too much. They go to the Hindenburg, the Alamo, the Lincoln assassination, meet Ian Fleming while he's working as a spy in Nazi Germany, get stuck in H.H. Holmes' hotel, try to stop the madman from messing up the Apollo 11 mission, etc. It's not an amazing show by any stretch, but it's good popcorn TV entertainment, especially for people into history.

One thing that does set it apart from other time travel shows is that there are legit and permanent consequences that they encounter when they return back from the past. For example, they might come back and people they knew will have just disappeared because they never existed in the new timeline due to 20 people dying 300 years ago who weren't supposed to die but were killed in the crossfire between the time travelers or whatever.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:19 pm

The AV Club has a great series called "Random Roles" where they sit down with an actor and then ask them to reflect on, well, random roles from their career. Sounds pretty generic, but it's almost always a much better read than the usual celebrity interview. Anyway, the newest one is with Rob Lowe:

http://www.avclub.com/article/all-his-f ... tch-239875

So in it he talks about that horsefeathers show he left The West Wing to do, Lyon's Den, a horsefeathers legal drama; I think I watched an episode or two, but it ended up being a huge flop and was cancelled after only, like, half a dozen episodes, so I randomly look it up on Wikipedia to kill some time. Turns out Kyle Chandler co-starred in it and everything. They had to, however, shoot all 13 episodes because of contractual obligations, and since they knew they were cancelled before they shot the last few, apparently the final episode is this completely bonkers twist on the rest of the series:

So, the show is canceled. It's not on the air. It's over. But they say to me, you're still going to make 13 more episodes but nobody's ever going to see them. Maybe we'll release them on DVD in, like, Bratislava.

So with that as the backdrop, the writers and I decide, you know what? To hell with it. We're going to burn the bridges. We're going for it. And so we decided to write my character as a sociopathic maniac who was revealed to be a mass murderer.

Kyle Chandler is the mentor in the office who is always my rival. He comes in one night while I'm eating in the executive dining room and confronts me on evidence that I might be a mass murderer. I walk up, stab him to death with my steak knife, sit back down, eat my steak, wipe my mouth, go to the balcony and throw myself off. That's the end of the series.

Never was aired, never released on DVD, but [expletive], that is hilarious.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:20 pm

I've been watching Timeless as well. I don't think of it as "must-see" tv, but I like it
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Because I'm a sucker for time travel, I started watching that show "Timeless" on Hulu. For a Network show, it's actually quite enjoyable and well-done. It's almost a nostalgic show in that it reminds me of 90's shows like Quantum Leap or Sliders and doesn't take itself too seriously. The premise is that a madman has stolen a time machine and is going back in history to screw up historical events. The company that built the time machine had a backup machine and they use it to send a team through history to chase him and stop him from messing up the timeline too much. They go to the Hindenburg, the Alamo, the Lincoln assassination, meet Ian Fleming while he's working as a spy in Nazi Germany, get stuck in H.H. Holmes' hotel, try to stop the madman from messing up the Apollo 11 mission, etc. It's not an amazing show by any stretch, but it's good popcorn TV entertainment, especially for people into history.

One thing that does set it apart from other time travel shows is that there are legit and permanent consequences that they encounter when they return back from the past. For example, they might come back and people they knew will have just disappeared because they never existed in the new timeline due to 20 people dying 300 years ago who weren't supposed to die but were killed in the crossfire between the time travelers or whatever.

Do the characters remember their friends that are suddenly missing? ...should they? Was the guy playing Lindbergh in this week's episode convincing?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:41 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:Do the characters remember their friends that are suddenly missing? ...should they? Was the guy playing Lindbergh in this week's episode convincing?

I haven't seen the latest few episodes.

Yeah, the characters who went into the time machine remember the people who are missing, but the people who stay in the present don't. Whether they should or not, I think they should. Because they are the only ones time traveling, they are always going to be from timeline A. Each time they come back, they are coming back to a totally new timeline; timelines B, C, D, and so on with each jump. I guess it's kind of like the relativity principle or whatever, like in Interstellar where you don't age because you are in your own relative bubble but the rest of the world ages 30 years to each one of your weeks.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Keep in mind with Timeless that it's probably not gonna be around more than this season....

http://www.tvgrimreaper.com/2017/02/06/ ... eled/2419/
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Banedon wrote:Keep in mind with Timeless that it's probably not gonna be around more than this season....

http://www.tvgrimreaper.com/2017/02/06/ ... eled/2419/

Yeah, it looks like it is right there on the cusp. It's sitting at 0.90 and it looks like things below that usually get canned and things above it get renewed.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:11 pm

[expletive]. I saw all the replies and figured my random Lyon's Den revelation had blown some minds. Now I'm bitter and I hope everyone's dumb time travel show gets cancelled!
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:[expletive]. I saw all the replies and figured my random Lyon's Den revelation had blown some minds. Now I'm bitter and I hope everyone's dumb time travel show gets cancelled!

2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:16 pm

I keep hoping with each post that the next one will be the post...home.

Man, QL had the oddest open theme music. It's so smooth jazz-y.
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I keep hoping with each post that the next one will be the post...home.

Ziggy says the opening theme has only a 10% chance of being written by John Tesh!!!
2 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I keep hoping with each post that the next one will be the post...home.

I keep wondering, with all the franchises that have pulled out of mothballs, how they haven't tried to do a QL reboot. I seriously doubt they could get the right casting to recreate what Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell did with it...but I'm still surprised they haven't tried.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:23 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:

Ziggy says the opening theme has only a 10% chance of being written by John Tesh!!!

With the music and the shots zipping through clouds I feel like I'm a kid playing Pilotwings again.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Banedon wrote:

I keep wondering, with all the franchises that have pulled out of mothballs, how they haven't tried to do a QL reboot. I seriously doubt they could get the right casting to recreate what Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell did with it...but I'm still surprised they haven't tried.

Well, this Timeless show sounds pretty damn close.
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:

With the music and the shots zipping through clouds I feel like I'm a kid playing Pilotwings again.

Never played it, but always envied the kids that had quarters to blow on it at the arcade.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:35 pm

Netflix has been holding an event today where it’s announcing the bulk of its upcoming programming slate. Nestled in the press release was this:

Castlevania Season 1, Part 1 Coming to Netflix in 2017
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Banedon wrote:
Netflix has been holding an event today where it’s announcing the bulk of its upcoming programming slate. Nestled in the press release was this:

let's hope they don't make simon belmont a whiny horsefeathers like in captain n: the game master.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:42 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Banedon wrote:

let's hope they don't make simon belmont a whiny horsefeathers like in captain n: the game master.

If they aren't gonna make Captain N canon, I don't know why they'd bother.
2 x

Return to “Social”