TV thread

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: TV thread

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
CubinNY wrote:It would also be great if they gave her less self pity and more likability.

Banedon wrote:You're missing the whole point of the show and the character.

I kind of agree with him to a point; I really like Ritter as an actor and I've loved the Alias comics and the character, but as the TV series has gone on I really think Ritter was not a great choice for the role. For a character that needs to come off as really cold and takes no BS and is really on the defensive at all times, Ritter, IMO, comes across more as just surly and immature and petulant. It makes tropes like the hard-drinking PI seem more corny and like a kid playing at being an adult.

The casting is still miles better than the damn Iron Fist.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:55 pm

The first 6 or so episodes of Jessica Jones Season 1 are still incredible, but since then it's been a bit bleh for me. Maybe I'm just tiring to the concept after it, Daredevil (x2), Luke Cage, and Punisher(haven't really watched Iron Fist or Defenders), but I just didn't find the storyline very compelling. The biggest thing I felt in S2 was probably

Spoiler: show
the double gut punch of Hogarth getting robbed serving as confirmation that she still has ALS. And even that is muted because she's even less sympathetic than Jessica

and that wasn't exactly a pillar of the season. I probably won't be in much hurry to watch any future MCU series, although they certainly aren't *bad*.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Tim wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
CubinNY wrote:It would also be great if they gave her less self pity and more likability.

I kind of agree with him to a point; I really like Ritter as an actor and I've loved the Alias comics and the character, but as the TV series has gone on I really think Ritter was not a great choice for the role. For a character that needs to come off as really cold and takes no BS and is really on the defensive at all times, Ritter, IMO, comes across more as just surly and immature and petulant. It makes tropes like the hard-drinking PI seem more corny and like a kid playing at being an adult.

The casting is still miles better than the damn Iron Fist.

Literally anything is better than Iron Fist.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:04 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Who would you have cast instead? Not being argumentative, because I basically agree. But, what you describe in the first half of your character description is executed to a tee by Ritter, IMO. She's also the second half of that sentence; and I'm not sure one can be done without the other. Heroines are complex as horsefeathers in general, but she's an anti-heroine. I'm not sure our puny man-brains can take it. Every woman I've talked to about this show has loved it and doesn't see it this way.
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 am

javy knows my name wrote:Who would you have cast instead? Not being argumentative, because I basically agree. But, what you describe in the first half of your character description is executed to a tee by Ritter, IMO. She's also the second half of that sentence; and I'm not sure one can be done without the other. Heroines are complex as horsefeathers in general, but she's an anti-heroine. I'm not sure our puny man-brains can take it. Every woman I've talked to about this show has loved it and doesn't see it this way.

I don't have a problem with the character at all; I just don't buy Ritter in the role most of the time. She strikes me as just being in a bad mood only because she's hungover as opposed to, "I have a crippling, seething darkness inside of me that threatens to drag me and everyone around me down." And on a superficial level, the decision to have her pounding a goofy-looking Maker's Mart bottle cracks me up every time.

Also nitpick-y: THAT scene with the paint was corny as horsefeathers.

Also also: Eka Darville is a terrible actor, but, man, that is one super good-looking dude.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:27 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:Who would you have cast instead? Not being argumentative, because I basically agree. But, what you describe in the first half of your character description is executed to a tee by Ritter, IMO. She's also the second half of that sentence; and I'm not sure one can be done without the other. Heroines are complex as horsefeathers in general, but she's an anti-heroine. I'm not sure our puny man-brains can take it. Every woman I've talked to about this show has loved it and doesn't see it this way.

I don't have a problem with the character at all; I just don't buy Ritter in the role most of the time. She strikes me as just being in a bad mood only because she's hungover as opposed to, "I have a crippling, seething darkness inside of me that threatens to drag me and everyone around me down." And on a superficial level, the decision to have her pounding a goofy-looking Maker's Mart bottle cracks me up every time.

Also nitpick-y: THAT scene with the paint was corny as horsefeathers.

Also also: Eka Darville is a terrible actor, but, man, that is one super good-looking dude.

Who would you have cast instead? What actress could nail "crippling, seething darkness" without also seeming brooding and whiny?

Maybe we're wrong? We're probably wrong.

(With the paint scene, blame the writers, not the actors)
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:44 am

Wrong about what? I'm just not a big fan of her in the role.

I'm never any good at recasting; I always go blank. Jessica Chastain? Emily Blunt? Carrie Coon? Rosamund Pike?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:51 am

(And yeah, I know all of them besides Coon are too big for the show)
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:05 am

Maybe whatshername that plays Darlene on Mr Robot?
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 am

[self-promotion]All new LA to Vegas tonight! Watch it! If you haven't tried it yet, go to hulu and get caught up. I promise, it's a fun, silly show, and Dylan McDermott will make you laugh. Also, I have a five-month-old baby and would love to not be job hunting again! Check it out![/self-promotion]
6 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:32 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Maybe whatshername that plays Darlene on Mr Robot?

Not bad, but too young, IMO. That's actually a big part of why I'm not a huge fan of Ritter's take; she's the right age, but she plays Jones like she's trapped in a perpetually horsefeathers, Daria-like adolescence. And, hell, that might be her choice given the character's origin, but I would have preferred something more like the comic.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:34 am

snoodmonger wrote:[self-promotion]All new LA to Vegas tonight! Watch it! If you haven't tried it yet, go to hulu and get caught up. I promise, it's a fun, silly show, and Dylan McDermott will make you laugh. Also, I have a five-month-old baby and would love to not be job hunting again! Check it out![/self-promotion]

Do networks get any kind of feedback from services like Hulu along the lines of how many times a show is streamed?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 am

snoodmonger wrote:[self-promotion]All new LA to Vegas tonight! Watch it! If you haven't tried it yet, go to hulu and get caught up. I promise, it's a fun, silly show, and Dylan McDermott will make you laugh. Also, I have a five-month-old baby and would love to not be job hunting again! Check it out![/self-promotion]

I didn't see it on Hulu when I looked the other day...
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:53 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

that’s where I’ve been watching it
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:54 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

What network is it on, maybe I was looking at the wrong place?
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:55 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Do networks get any kind of feedback from services like Hulu along the lines of how many times a show is streamed?

According to our showrunner, it might actually be better to watch on hulu because they get exact numbers. But I don't know if he made that up or if that's what the network execs told him. Since it's owned by the networks, it makes sense they'd have access to the data.
1 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:I didn't see it on Hulu when I looked the other day...

What network is it on, maybe I was looking at the wrong place?

Fox
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm

This guy (formerly the Cancellation Bear on TvByTheNumbers) is usually right....and he has you guys as "likely renewed", fwiw.

http://www.tvgrimreaper.com/2018/03/12/ ... eled/3529/

Fox shows predicted to be renewed
Bob’s Burgers, Family Guy, Empire, Gotham, Lethal Weapon, Star, LA to Vegas, The Resident – ratings in the renewal range, no negative issues
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:21 pm

Banedon wrote:This guy (formerly the Cancellation Bear on TvByTheNumbers) is usually right....and he has you guys as "likely renewed", fwiw.

Bob’s Burgers, Family Guy, Empire, Gotham, Lethal Weapon, Star, LA to Vegas, The Resident – ratings in the renewal range, no negative issues

hot damn, there are a lot of shows on there I've never heard of before
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Banedon wrote:This guy (formerly the Cancellation Bear on TvByTheNumbers) is usually right....and he has you guys as "likely renewed", fwiw.

hot damn, there are a lot of shows on there I've never heard of before

And those are just network shows. He doesn't do cable networks, because ratings don't work the same there.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Paramount network was set to debut a Heathers tv series this week. It'd been heavily promoted, and looked pretty good...but they're delaying it because of the depictions of school gun violence...

Paramount Network’s original series “Heathers” is a satirical comedy that takes creative risks in dealing with many of society’s most challenging subjects ranging from personal identity to race and socio-economic status to gun violence. While we stand firmly behind the show, in light of the recent tragic events in Florida and out of respect for the victims, their families and loved ones, we feel the right thing to do is delay the premiere until later this year.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Maybe whatshername that plays Darlene on Mr Robot?

Not bad, but too young, IMO. That's actually a big part of why I'm not a huge fan of Ritter's take; she's the right age, but she plays Jones like she's trapped in a perpetually horsefeathers, Daria-like adolescence. And, hell, that might be her choice given the character's origin, but I would have preferred something more like the comic.

I agree with the very adolescent attitude she seems to portray. It's more of an eye-rolling petulance than it is a dark and moody attitude and it's harder to take that seriously. I'm not sure who could pull it off, but her mannerisms definitely play a part in the way it comes off.
0 x
I like beer.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Brooklyn 99 and AP Bio likely cancelled.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Banedon wrote:Paramount network was set to debut a Heathers tv series this week. It'd been heavily promoted, and looked pretty good...

It most definitely did not.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:38 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:Brooklyn 99 and AP Bio likely cancelled.

Boooooo, though at least Brooklyn 99 got a shot. AP Bio was going to be fine, pansies.
0 x

Return to “Social”