TV thread

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: TV thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Banedon wrote:I started 30 Rock again last night. I don't think I ever finished the last season or two, and Jane Krakowski suggesting they may be up for getting back together had me wanting to watch it again. Still great.

You can definitely tell the difference between pre-accident and post-accident Tracy Morgan though.

his accident happened after the show ended
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Banedon wrote:I started 30 Rock again last night. I don't think I ever finished the last season or two, and Jane Krakowski suggesting they may be up for getting back together had me wanting to watch it again. Still great.

You can definitely tell the difference between pre-accident and post-accident Tracy Morgan though.

I assume you mean the other things that Tracy has done post-30 Rock, since the accident happened after 30 Rock ended, right?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Maybe he meant the other accident...

5 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Yes, sorry if that was unclear. I just mean I've seen him do things since the accident....like The Real OG, among other things. Seeing him on 30 Rock again shows just how different he is now.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Plus he is, IMO, pretty different in a lot of the first season than what the character completely melted down to become (in a good way).
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm pretty sure I somehow ended up like 5 episodes short of finishing 30 Rock and don't know why. Like I had a busy month at work and never got back to it, or something.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 pm

I reeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllly want AP Bio to survive

Oh and thank this thread for reminding me that Atlanta is gd brilliant
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: TV thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:53 am

Banedon wrote:Speaking of Andre and the Princess Bride...just saw this linked to on Reddit...

During the shoot, which Elwes said lasted for about a month-and-a-half, the cast and crew grew very close. "I can't remember a day without laughter," he said. Reiner acted as the father of the group, hosting dinners for the cast and encouraging game nights and other hang outs. One indication that the group was going to jell came on the first day, Elwes said, when wrestler André the Giant, who played Fezzik in the movie, "let out a 16 second fart and brought production to a standstill." "It could be heard three counties away," Elwes said with a laugh. "Nobody said anything except Rob, who said 'Are you OK, André?' and André replied, 'I am now boss.' He was comfortable enough to do that!"

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/pr ... d=49990697
Lmfao
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:05 pm

0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 pm

So I'm like a year late, but I finished Twin Peaks The Return. Is Mojo the only one who watched it? Is that Got a Light guy haunting your dreams too?
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:54 pm

Lynch sure loves him some terrifying hobos.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 pm

I wasn't real into the video game boss-like defeating of BOB by Hulk-hand, but I was absolutely hooked the whole way through.
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 pm

I had watched it around when it finshed originally airing and hadn't watched the the original series or movie in a long time (and had only watched them once), so I was pretty lost even by Twin Peaks standards. So I also just recently completed a re-watch of the original series, movie and missing pieces and then The Return. Lynch needs to make more so we can get another Wally Brando scene.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:29 am

Ash Vs the Evil Dead cancelled.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:36 am

Banedon wrote:Ash Vs the Evil Dead cancelled.

Campbell had been griping about their numbers lately dropping big time this season, but he was making sound like it would mean next season would be moved back to the fall and a better timeslot day. This bites.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:13 pm

I posted the trailer here a few weeks ago, but anyone else watching or has watched Babylon Berlin on Netflix? I just started it last week, but I've already only got 3 episodes left; I am completely hooked by this thing.

Also fantastic right now: The Terror.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:38 pm

The Americans: muuuuuuuuch better this season. Fun to watch again. It's so nice. Because last season was just such a slog for me.

A few thoughts:

Spoiler: show
Am I the only one that can't stand Paige? Like, if she bought it next episode, I would actually be happy.

Along those lines, are we to believe Paige never heard about the murder of four security guards in their last mission? My read on her is that she's an idealist and wouldn't want to be part of the spy game if she knew her mom was basically a psychopath who's happily killed dozens of people. Seems very false that the death of all those guards would go unreported. Hoping that pops up and has real ramifications. (I thought it would have been a fun Paige plot for her to read about the death of that sailor and start suspecting her mom, but it was probably too close to the plot of Phillip working against Elizabeth.)

I also just never really believed the Phillip would agree to let Paige become a spy. Elizabeth, sure. She is a monster. But I never bought Phillip saying, sure, let's let our daughter do a job where if she effs up she'll be killed or caught and tried for treason.

I liked how they basically admitted that Elizabeth doesn't give a crap about Henry last episode.
3 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:39 pm

Did anyone watch Lost in Space on Netflix. I liked it a lot. And the production value was bananas.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Yeah, I'm usually one of the first to gripe about people hating on a so-called wet blanket character who rightly is critical/horrified of the awful horsefeathers a show's antihero is doing....but [expletive], Paige sucks. The character is really well written and played, but man, what a dork.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, I'm usually one of the first to gripe about people hating on a so-called wet blanket character who rightly is critical.horrified of the awful horsefeathers a show's antihero is doing....but [expletive], Paige sucks. The character is really well written and played, but man, what a dork.

Do you have a prediction for how the show will end? Would love to hear it.

ETA:

I think Phillip will die. I think Elizabeth will go back to Russia. Paige will either realize what a horsefeathers her mom was, or the final shots will be of her working in the state dept. No idea with Henry. No idea with Beeman.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:18 pm

The obvious answer that they've been laying the groundwork for since the very first episode is that Elizabeth dies and Philip defects, using his friendship with Stan as the initial contact. But shows these days love to lay out obvious, logical endings and ignore them entirely. I don't think anyone's going back to Russia, I feel like the combination of Oleg, Martha and Nina were meant to cover that ground.

I'm scared they're going to do the whole "in the end, nothing is really changed or concluded because that's how life is" that everyone loves these days and we just end the series with Philip and Elizabeth still undercover and Paige working her way up.

I do like this season a lot more than last, though. Seeing Paige as an operative is a big shake-up of the stale status quo they were falling into.

I like Paige more than most people. I don't think she's so much an idealist as she has an identity void that she's trying to fill. Her upbringing left her feeling confused and untethered (the part about having no extended family seemed like a big deal to her), and she's always going to be willing to latch onto anything that gives her a clear sense of role and purpose.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:24 pm

snoodmonger wrote:The Americans: muuuuuuuuch better this season.

I always feel bad that I disliked season 5 so much. I've been ride-or-die jocking this shoe since season 1, when I said it would be seen on a level with Breaking Bad or the Wire before it was finished.

And it's not like the basic components went bad. The writing was good. The acting was great. The directing was good. It was just such a filler season. It was blatantly obvious that they weren't sure if they were going to get one more season or two, and when it turned out to be two, they needed to put everyone in a holding pattern for a year before proceeding with the endgame they had set up.

Season 5 was just indistinguishable from season 4. P and E were fighting, debating on whether to indoctrinate Paige and to what degree, Moscow is putting a lot of pressure on them to get the MacGuffin and it's burning through their resources in dangerous ways.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:58 pm

I just re-watched season 5, and it starts off so strong, but then after 4-5 episodes it just keeps...going along. Like you said, it's nowhere near bad, but so little is happening. Watching it again, I was FAR more into the Stan/Oleg stuff.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:02 am

snoodmonger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Yeah, I'm usually one of the first to gripe about people hating on a so-called wet blanket character who rightly is critical.horrified of the awful horsefeathers a show's antihero is doing....but [expletive], Paige sucks. The character is really well written and played, but man, what a dork.

Do you have a prediction for how the show will end? Would love to hear it.

ETA:

I think Phillip will die. I think Elizabeth will go back to Russia. Paige will either realize what a horsefeathers her mom was, or the final shots will be of her working in the state dept. No idea with Henry. No idea with Beeman.

Woooof, I don't know. I could definitely see things playing out just like that. I really, really don't know. They just seem to have been building to make Elizabeth worse and worse that I both don't want her to have any kind of a "happy" ending, which I think going back to Russia is even without her family, but I also think it could easily be pretty corny if she is killed or arrested. Unless maybe it's Paige that is responsible for her being brought down.

Phillip is much more sympathetic, but he's done plenty of awful stuff, too, so same thing. I kinda just want him and Stan to run off and drink horsefeathers beer together and tell terrible dad jokes to each other.

But ultimately I'm thinking the ending has to parallel that relatively sudden and shocking fall of the USSR itself.
1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:23 am

0 x

Return to “Social”