TV thread

Brian
Hall of Fame

Re: TV thread

Postby Brian » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:02 pm

There was definitely no reason for it to be 10 episodes. There was some actual new/interesting evidence that they found, but it could have been done in 4-5 episodes easily. Bobby Dassey's google history was enough for me to buy that it was him. Zellner recently did a thread of new information post filming of season 2.

Also interesting to the case is that the Wisconsin AG looked bad in this and he just got voted out. And it was almost like the prosecutor decided he would try to do whatever it took to look worse in Season 2.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Too many episodes is the Netflix MO, especially when it comes to the true crime stuff.

Sundance just put out a really good documentary series on Jim Jones/Peoples Temple/Jonestown that was only about 4 hours, if that, and it easily could have been twice as long. Meanwhile, horsefeathering Wild Wild Country was almost 8 hours.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Too many episodes is the Netflix MO, especially when it comes to the true crime stuff.

Sundance just put out a really good documentary series on Jim Jones/Peoples Temple/Jonestown that was only about 4 hours, if that, and it easily could have been twice as long. Meanwhile, horsefeathering Wild Wild Country was almost 8 hours.

I never really felt like Wild Wild Country was too long though.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Too many episodes is the Netflix MO, especially when it comes to the true crime stuff.

Eh; I thought too much of it was blowing smoke up the ass of the former members who participated in the doc; if it really just focused on the meat of what happened, it easily could have been a good 3-4 hours shorter. Instead so much of it was an excruciating (IMO) breakdown of the cult's beliefs and practices and the bios of the former members and how much they loved, like, 95% of it.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Eh; I thought too much of it was blowing smoke up the ass of the former members who participated in the doc; if it really just focused on the meat of what happened, it easily could have been a good 3-4 hours shorter. Instead so much of it was an excruciating (IMO) breakdown of the cult's beliefs and practices and the bios of the former members and how much they loved, like, 95% of it.

That's fair. Those former members romanticized it for sure...specifically the weirdo lawyer guy. It wasn't excruciating for me, but I can see where you might think they spent way too much time on that.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:36 pm

cl smooth wrote:homecoming was great. shea whigham might be the best scene stealer in all of hollywood; the guy is awesome in everything that he's in.

I really enjoyed his character in this
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:17 am

i will watch any miniseries thing that shea whigham is in
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:11 pm

Netflix cancels Daredevil. I'm sure Jessica Jones and Punisher will probably follow when the seasons they're working on air.

Will be interesting to see how many show up on Disney's streaming service.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Banedon wrote:Netflix cancels Daredevil. I'm sure Jessica Jones and Punisher will probably follow when the seasons they're working on air.

Will be interesting to see how many show up on Disney's streaming service.

My guess is Luke Cage and Iron Fist are consolidated into Heroes for Hire, Daredevil and JJ keep their own shows, and Punisher gets rolled into some kind of "Marvel Knights" anthology/rotating character thing.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:59 pm

So it came out a while back that there's going to be a Loki tv show on the Disney+ streaming service, and there were rumors of a Scarlet Witch show, but now deadline says:

Marvel Studios star Elizabeth Olsen has played Scarlet Witch as a supporting character in four films to date. The character will be a title character for the first time next year with the launch of Vision and the Scarlet Witch, a Disney+ streaming series.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:34 pm

I wonder if the Netflix Marvel shows do come back as is (ie - the kind of distinctly MA shows that Disney has basically said won't be on their streaming service) that maybe they end up on Hulu, since Disney has so much invested in that, too.

Though, to be honest, I really wouldn't mind if the Netflix shows returned as what are effectively PG-13 shows. Personally, my enjoyment in watching something like a Daredevil TV aren't hinged on them being able to show brutal violence.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:49 pm

3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Woooow.

Netflix paying $100mil to keep Friends for another year.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Banedon wrote:Woooow.

there are a lot of dumb children that pretend that show is good.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:50 pm

More than 800,000 yearly subscriptions'-worth for a sitcom that went off the air 15 years ago. I really don't understand how you get there, are there really legions of people whose Friends-watching is the bedrock of their subscription?
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:51 pm

wait until everyone finds out it's on TBS 16 hours a day
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:51 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:Woooow.

there are a lot of dumb children that pretend that show is good.

3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:More than 800,000 yearly subscriptions'-worth for a sitcom that went off the air 15 years ago. I really don't understand how you get there, are there really legions of people whose Friends-watching is the bedrock of their subscription?

Netflix doesn't release their viewing data, but they wouldn't spend the money if people weren't still watching it like crazy. We'll still turn on the reruns on Nick quite a bit though.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Banedon wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:More than 800,000 yearly subscriptions'-worth for a sitcom that went off the air 15 years ago. I really don't understand how you get there, are there really legions of people whose Friends-watching is the bedrock of their subscription?

Netflix doesn't release their viewing data, but they wouldn't spend the money if people weren't still watching it like crazy. We'll still turn on the reruns on Nick quite a bit though.

I mean, I'm sure you can logic your way to it if you look at raw viewership, my point is that in the absence of Friends, those people are gonna pick some other show to have on while they do other stuff, fall asleep, etc. There isn't a population of people the size of Delaware ready to cancel Netflix if Friends goes away, and that's before you get into the opportunity cost of that 100 million that could possibly get a similar benefit for less.
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:01 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:wait until everyone finds out it's on TBS 16 hours a day

the people that don't have cable don't know that
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I mean, I'm sure you can logic your way to it if you look at raw viewership, my point is that in the absence of Friends, those people are gonna pick some other show to have on while they do other stuff, fall asleep, etc. There isn't a population of people the size of Delaware ready to cancel Netflix if Friends goes away, and that's before you get into the opportunity cost of that 100 million that could possibly get a similar benefit for less.

With disney, time warner and others launching their own streaming services, you are definitely going to get to the point where people cancel one or more of them and focus on the ones that have exclusive rights to their favorite shows.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Banedon wrote:

With disney, time warner and others launching their own streaming services, you are definitely going to get to the point where people cancel one or more of them and focus on the ones that have exclusive rights to their favorite shows.

I don't disagree, I'm just not sure why you'd plant your flag with Friends.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I don't disagree, I'm just not sure why you'd plant your flag with Friends.

neither do I, but it's hugely loved by 20-somethings.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:59 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I don't disagree, I'm just not sure why you'd plant your flag with Friends.

neither do I, but it's hugely loved by 20-somethings.

college kids love to put it on as background noise in their dorms/apartments. same with the office.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:46 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:wait until everyone finds out it's on TBS 16 hours a day

the people that don't have cable don't know that

We got rid of direct tv because none of my kids (20, 17 & 10) ever watched it. My daughter has watched the entire run of Friends twice. She's on her third time through with The Office. The real story here is that people's viewing habits have changed. Watching Friends on TBS isn't really a viable option since it's a random episode on a time that the viewer can't control. I would have done the same thing if this sort of tech was available when I was their age.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Return to “Social”