TV thread

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9135
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1463
x 611

Re: TV thread

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Bluescale wrote:
Andy wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:a take for the ages: b99 has all the pieces, but it's kind of not very good

I would disagree it's not very good, it's consistently very funny. I will grant that it hasn't made me care about its characters the way The Office did. That could just be because I'm older now, though.


Funny, I find the characters in B99 more relatable than The Office. The diversity in B99 is really, really strong. Strong women. Strong, caring black men (think about it - how often do non-black audience sitcoms have nurturing black men?). A gay leader. Two Latinas. And, of course, Chelsea Peretti (who I know left the show, but still, she's awesome).

I'm not dissing The Office. I enjoyed it enough to watch most of it. I just didn't love it the way I love B99.


I'm a little ashamed I've never looked at it this way. It's a hyper-progressive show couched in silly, zany humor that's probably pretty approachable even for BBT idiots. I like it more now.
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 34296
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 875
x 5838

Re: TV thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Chelsea Peretti added nothing to the show
0 x
Image

NonProfitCow
All-Star
Posts: 4609
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 138
x 507

Re: TV thread

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Chelsea Peretti added nothing to the show

Image
8 x

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 374
x 500

Re: TV thread

Postby Bertz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:26 pm

I think B99 peaked later than the other two, which sets it apart. The Office peaked seasons 2-4, ditto Parks, whereas Brooklyn didn't turn from pretty good into appointment viewing until maybe late s3? And last season was easily it's best yet.
1 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 34296
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 875
x 5838

Re: TV thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Chelsea Peretti added nothing to the show

Image

nah, I'll die on this hill. she is unfunny and her character is terrible
0 x
Image

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27723
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 38
x 4214
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Image
2 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 78976
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 11057
x 13849

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Chelsea Peretti added nothing to the show

Image

nah, I'll die on this hill. she is unfunny and her character is terrible


Image
3 x

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star
Posts: 3723
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 3522
x 1491

Re: TV thread

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Chelsea Peretti added nothing to the show

Image

nah, I'll die on this hill. she is unfunny and her character is terrible

Yeah, you have her confused with Jon Lovitz.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

User avatar
Bluescale
All-Star
Posts: 3081
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:44 pm
Location: Eugene, OR
x 387
x 180
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby Bluescale » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:01 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Chelsea Peretti added nothing to the show


You, sir, are a bad, bad man.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

User avatar
Bluescale
All-Star
Posts: 3081
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:44 pm
Location: Eugene, OR
x 387
x 180
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby Bluescale » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Bluescale wrote:
Andy wrote:I would disagree it's not very good, it's consistently very funny. I will grant that it hasn't made me care about its characters the way The Office did. That could just be because I'm older now, though.


Funny, I find the characters in B99 more relatable than The Office. The diversity in B99 is really, really strong. Strong women. Strong, caring black men (think about it - how often do non-black audience sitcoms have nurturing black men?). A gay leader. Two Latinas. And, of course, Chelsea Peretti (who I know left the show, but still, she's awesome).

I'm not dissing The Office. I enjoyed it enough to watch most of it. I just didn't love it the way I love B99.


I'm a little ashamed I've never looked at it this way. It's a hyper-progressive show couched in silly, zany humor that's probably pretty approachable even for BBT idiots. I like it more now.


The other thing I love about it is that all that diversity could easily have turned into a paint by numbers, look at all these zany minorities showpiece. Instead, other than Holt being gay, which is pretty central to a number of themes, for the most part they're all just people, doing their thing. And for the most part, they try to treat each other decently - except for Gina, but she always ends up on the right side of everything anyway.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45206
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 78
x 2445
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:45 pm

Rewatching season 1 of GoT.

The pacing is remarkable. I can't believe how much they get through each episode compared to later seasons.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Bluescale
All-Star
Posts: 3081
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:44 pm
Location: Eugene, OR
x 387
x 180
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby Bluescale » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 pm

Tim wrote:Rewatching season 1 of GoT.

The pacing is remarkable. I can't believe how much they get through each episode compared to later seasons.


I definitely think the first season was the best. I tried binge watching GoT this summer, to get ready for the final season, but it gets bogged down in a hurry. Binge watching makes it even worse, because you can feel them get off to an amazing start, and then just get stuck.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 458
x 514

Re: TV thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:23 am

I have to admit the last season of Gotham is alot of fun. Watching Erin Richards (best chin since Bruce Campbell), Robin Lord Taylor, and Catgirl ham it up with ALL the acting they can muster is a treat. I’m also a very sad and lonely person soooooooooooooooo...Everyone seems to be having a blast on the show
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77652
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2850
x 4369
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:39 pm

The thing I love about The Good Place is that they do a great job of navigating the pace of the show in a style that is chaotic enough to throw you off, but somehow seems natural and not forced.

Having watched last night's penultimate episode of S3,
Spoiler: show
It seems like its setting up S4 to be a return of the Good Place neighborhood as the core four try to influence these new humans to change for the better. But knowing how this show operates, I am wondering if that entire arc is going to pass within the 1 episode and push our humans in a new direction to start S4. The one human that they showed as one of the new 4 looked pretty damn generic, to the point where I can't see them becoming a full time cast member. I am going to guess that next week the experiment fails and the crew is sent to the bad place to be tortured by fake Michael while the real Michael (and Janet) somehow escape and try to again save everyone.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66792
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5511
x 5352

Re: TV thread

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 pm

UMFan83 wrote:The thing I love about The Good Place is that they do a great job of navigating the pace of the show in a style that is chaotic enough to throw you off, but somehow seems natural and not forced.

Having watched last night's penultimate episode of S3,
Spoiler: show
It seems like its setting up S4 to be a return of the Good Place neighborhood as the core four try to influence these new humans to change for the better. But knowing how this show operates, I am wondering if that entire arc is going to pass within the 1 episode and push our humans in a new direction to start S4. The one human that they showed as one of the new 4 looked pretty damn generic, to the point where I can't see them becoming a full time cast member. I am going to guess that next week the experiment fails and the crew is sent to the bad place to be tortured by fake Michael while the real Michael (and Janet) somehow escape and try to again save everyone.


I had a different thought about what direction they're going.

Spoiler: show
Eleanor and Chidi made a big deal about how they don't have to do much in the new experiment...that they can mostly just chillax, have sex, and be happy, with some appearances from time to time.

Now Michael is panicked, and can't even greet the newbie. I think they're setting up Eleanor having to run the new Good Place as Michael did previously, but in her more "human" way, not as Michael the architect would.

I'm not as clear on how they involve the rest of the cast in that.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77652
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2850
x 4369
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:13 pm

Banedon wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:The thing I love about The Good Place is that they do a great job of navigating the pace of the show in a style that is chaotic enough to throw you off, but somehow seems natural and not forced.

Having watched last night's penultimate episode of S3,
Spoiler: show
It seems like its setting up S4 to be a return of the Good Place neighborhood as the core four try to influence these new humans to change for the better. But knowing how this show operates, I am wondering if that entire arc is going to pass within the 1 episode and push our humans in a new direction to start S4. The one human that they showed as one of the new 4 looked pretty damn generic, to the point where I can't see them becoming a full time cast member. I am going to guess that next week the experiment fails and the crew is sent to the bad place to be tortured by fake Michael while the real Michael (and Janet) somehow escape and try to again save everyone.


I had a different thought about what direction they're going.

Spoiler: show
Eleanor and Chidi made a big deal about how they don't have to do much in the new experiment...that they can mostly just chillax, have sex, and be happy, with some appearances from time to time.

Now Michael is panicked, and can't even greet the newbie. I think they're setting up Eleanor having to run the new Good Place as Michael did previously, but in her more "human" way, not as Michael the architect would.

I'm not as clear on how they involve the rest of the cast in that.


Spoiler: show
I like that idea too. The only thing that would bother me is if they went back to the storyline of hiding things from Shawn and the Judge (assuming Eleanor actually running the experiment is a no-no with their set rules and potentially having to go back on the run again if they are found out. But I think there could be a lot of fun stuff to come out of your idea.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 12313
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 1715
x 781

Re: TV thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:50 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:The thing I love about The Good Place is that they do a great job of navigating the pace of the show in a style that is chaotic enough to throw you off, but somehow seems natural and not forced.

Having watched last night's penultimate episode of S3,
Spoiler: show
It seems like its setting up S4 to be a return of the Good Place neighborhood as the core four try to influence these new humans to change for the better. But knowing how this show operates, I am wondering if that entire arc is going to pass within the 1 episode and push our humans in a new direction to start S4. The one human that they showed as one of the new 4 looked pretty damn generic, to the point where I can't see them becoming a full time cast member. I am going to guess that next week the experiment fails and the crew is sent to the bad place to be tortured by fake Michael while the real Michael (and Janet) somehow escape and try to again save everyone.


I had a different thought about what direction they're going.

Spoiler: show
Eleanor and Chidi made a big deal about how they don't have to do much in the new experiment...that they can mostly just chillax, have sex, and be happy, with some appearances from time to time.

Now Michael is panicked, and can't even greet the newbie. I think they're setting up Eleanor having to run the new Good Place as Michael did previously, but in her more "human" way, not as Michael the architect would.

I'm not as clear on how they involve the rest of the cast in that.


Spoiler: show
I like that idea too. The only thing that would bother me is if they went back to the storyline of hiding things from Shawn and the Judge (assuming Eleanor actually running the experiment is a no-no with their set rules and potentially having to go back on the run again if they are found out. But I think there could be a lot of fun stuff to come out of your idea.

One thing is for sure, it will probably be a joy to watch either way.
0 x
Image

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9135
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1463
x 611

Re: TV thread

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:37 pm

I'm catching up right now (just finished episode 10) but I just wanted to say that the good place decided to go political at the exact right time in the most perfect way
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 78976
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 11057
x 13849

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Just watched the new one, and I could not be more delighted to see Zouks back.
0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27723
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 38
x 4214
Contact:

Re: TV thread

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Just watched the new one, and I could not be more delighted to see Zouks back.


and with an almost complete penis
4 x

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9135
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1463
x 611

Re: TV thread

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:58 pm

I really can't get over the good place committee. It's the perfect joke that all Dems will get because we're just self-hating enough and no Trumpers will get because they have no self-awareness. MWAH
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9135
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1463
x 611

Re: TV thread

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:
I had a different thought about what direction they're going.

Spoiler: show
Eleanor and Chidi made a big deal about how they don't have to do much in the new experiment...that they can mostly just chillax, have sex, and be happy, with some appearances from time to time.

Now Michael is panicked, and can't even greet the newbie. I think they're setting up Eleanor having to run the new Good Place as Michael did previously, but in her more "human" way, not as Michael the architect would.

I'm not as clear on how they involve the rest of the cast in that.


Spoiler: show
I like that idea too. The only thing that would bother me is if they went back to the storyline of hiding things from Shawn and the Judge (assuming Eleanor actually running the experiment is a no-no with their set rules and potentially having to go back on the run again if they are found out. But I think there could be a lot of fun stuff to come out of your idea.

One thing is for sure, it will probably be a joy to watch either way.


There's so much they could do with bad place Michael that I'm not ruling out a full loop reveal where the four end up failing, the bad place wipes their memories and we restart at the beginning
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 78976
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 11057
x 13849

Re: TV thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Welp, I guess there's no such thing as too many Fyre Festival failure docs.
1 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 34296
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 875
x 5838

Re: TV thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:30 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Welp, I guess there's no such thing as too many Fyre Festival failure docs.

Image
4 x
Image

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 34296
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 875
x 5838

Re: TV thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:35 am

watching the Netflix Fyre, and i’m suddenly reminded of my uncle. super conservative, watches nothing but golf or Fox News (no exaggeration). years ago, while he’s still working for TSA, he starts telling stories of times he puts Hayden Fry or Iowa sports teams on flights. Oliver North once. the one-armed drummer from Def Leppard was selected for random screening so he asked him to raise his arms. anywho, like 2 hours after these stories he randomly pipes in with “that snoop, uh snoop dogg, he’s one hell of a guy”. curiosity piqued. “super respectful and polite and charming. really like that guy”. so I tell him that’s a cool story or whatever, and he pauses for like 30 seconds and says “yeah. but that Ja Rule is a real horsefeathering prick”
3 x
Image


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PosterToBeNamedLater, wekse and 8 guests