TV thread

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Re: TV thread

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Bluescale wrote:
Andy wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:a take for the ages: b99 has all the pieces, but it's kind of not very good

I would disagree it's not very good, it's consistently very funny. I will grant that it hasn't made me care about its characters the way The Office did. That could just be because I'm older now, though.

Funny, I find the characters in B99 more relatable than The Office. The diversity in B99 is really, really strong. Strong women. Strong, caring black men (think about it - how often do non-black audience sitcoms have nurturing black men?). A gay leader. Two Latinas. And, of course, Chelsea Peretti (who I know left the show, but still, she's awesome).

I'm not dissing The Office. I enjoyed it enough to watch most of it. I just didn't love it the way I love B99.

I'm a little ashamed I've never looked at it this way. It's a hyper-progressive show couched in silly, zany humor that's probably pretty approachable even for BBT idiots. I like it more now.
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Chelsea Peretti added nothing to the show
0 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Chelsea Peretti added nothing to the show

8 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:26 pm

I think B99 peaked later than the other two, which sets it apart. The Office peaked seasons 2-4, ditto Parks, whereas Brooklyn didn't turn from pretty good into appointment viewing until maybe late s3? And last season was easily it's best yet.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:

nah, I'll die on this hill. she is unfunny and her character is terrible
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:42 pm

2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:

3 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:

Yeah, you have her confused with Jon Lovitz.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:01 pm

You, sir, are a bad, bad man.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Bluescale wrote:
Andy wrote:I would disagree it's not very good, it's consistently very funny. I will grant that it hasn't made me care about its characters the way The Office did. That could just be because I'm older now, though.

Funny, I find the characters in B99 more relatable than The Office. The diversity in B99 is really, really strong. Strong women. Strong, caring black men (think about it - how often do non-black audience sitcoms have nurturing black men?). A gay leader. Two Latinas. And, of course, Chelsea Peretti (who I know left the show, but still, she's awesome).

I'm not dissing The Office. I enjoyed it enough to watch most of it. I just didn't love it the way I love B99.

I'm a little ashamed I've never looked at it this way. It's a hyper-progressive show couched in silly, zany humor that's probably pretty approachable even for BBT idiots. I like it more now.

The other thing I love about it is that all that diversity could easily have turned into a paint by numbers, look at all these zany minorities showpiece. Instead, other than Holt being gay, which is pretty central to a number of themes, for the most part they're all just people, doing their thing. And for the most part, they try to treat each other decently - except for Gina, but she always ends up on the right side of everything anyway.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:45 pm

Rewatching season 1 of GoT.

The pacing is remarkable. I can't believe how much they get through each episode compared to later seasons.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 pm

Tim wrote:Rewatching season 1 of GoT.

The pacing is remarkable. I can't believe how much they get through each episode compared to later seasons.

I definitely think the first season was the best. I tried binge watching GoT this summer, to get ready for the final season, but it gets bogged down in a hurry. Binge watching makes it even worse, because you can feel them get off to an amazing start, and then just get stuck.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:23 am

I have to admit the last season of Gotham is alot of fun. Watching Erin Richards (best chin since Bruce Campbell), Robin Lord Taylor, and Catgirl ham it up with ALL the acting they can muster is a treat. I’m also a very sad and lonely person soooooooooooooooo...Everyone seems to be having a blast on the show
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:39 pm

The thing I love about The Good Place is that they do a great job of navigating the pace of the show in a style that is chaotic enough to throw you off, but somehow seems natural and not forced.

Having watched last night's penultimate episode of S3,
It seems like its setting up S4 to be a return of the Good Place neighborhood as the core four try to influence these new humans to change for the better. But knowing how this show operates, I am wondering if that entire arc is going to pass within the 1 episode and push our humans in a new direction to start S4. The one human that they showed as one of the new 4 looked pretty damn generic, to the point where I can't see them becoming a full time cast member. I am going to guess that next week the experiment fails and the crew is sent to the bad place to be tortured by fake Michael while the real Michael (and Janet) somehow escape and try to again save everyone.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 pm

UMFan83 wrote:The thing I love about The Good Place is that they do a great job of navigating the pace of the show in a style that is chaotic enough to throw you off, but somehow seems natural and not forced.

It seems like its setting up S4 to be a return of the Good Place neighborhood as the core four try to influence these new humans to change for the better. But knowing how this show operates, I am wondering if that entire arc is going to pass within the 1 episode and push our humans in a new direction to start S4. The one human that they showed as one of the new 4 looked pretty damn generic, to the point where I can't see them becoming a full time cast member. I am going to guess that next week the experiment fails and the crew is sent to the bad place to be tortured by fake Michael while the real Michael (and Janet) somehow escape and try to again save everyone.

I had a different thought about what direction they're going.

Eleanor and Chidi made a big deal about how they don't have to do much in the new experiment...that they can mostly just chillax, have sex, and be happy, with some appearances from time to time.

Now Michael is panicked, and can't even greet the newbie. I think they're setting up Eleanor having to run the new Good Place as Michael did previously, but in her more "human" way, not as Michael the architect would.

I'm not as clear on how they involve the rest of the cast in that.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:13 pm

Banedon wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:The thing I love about The Good Place is that they do a great job of navigating the pace of the show in a style that is chaotic enough to throw you off, but somehow seems natural and not forced.

Eleanor and Chidi made a big deal about how they don't have to do much in the new experiment...that they can mostly just chillax, have sex, and be happy, with some appearances from time to time.

Now Michael is panicked, and can't even greet the newbie. I think they're setting up Eleanor having to run the new Good Place as Michael did previously, but in her more "human" way, not as Michael the architect would.

I like that idea too. The only thing that would bother me is if they went back to the storyline of hiding things from Shawn and the Judge (assuming Eleanor actually running the experiment is a no-no with their set rules and potentially having to go back on the run again if they are found out. But I think there could be a lot of fun stuff to come out of your idea.
0 x
Win it for Fred

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:50 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I like that idea too. The only thing that would bother me is if they went back to the storyline of hiding things from Shawn and the Judge (assuming Eleanor actually running the experiment is a no-no with their set rules and potentially having to go back on the run again if they are found out. But I think there could be a lot of fun stuff to come out of your idea.

One thing is for sure, it will probably be a joy to watch either way.
0 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:37 pm

I'm catching up right now (just finished episode 10) but I just wanted to say that the good place decided to go political at the exact right time in the most perfect way
1 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:41 pm

Just watched the new one, and I could not be more delighted to see Zouks back.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Just watched the new one, and I could not be more delighted to see Zouks back.

and with an almost complete penis
4 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:58 pm

I really can't get over the good place committee. It's the perfect joke that all Dems will get because we're just self-hating enough and no Trumpers will get because they have no self-awareness. MWAH
1 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

One thing is for sure, it will probably be a joy to watch either way.

There's so much they could do with bad place Michael that I'm not ruling out a full loop reveal where the four end up failing, the bad place wipes their memories and we restart at the beginning
0 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Welp, I guess there's no such thing as too many Fyre Festival failure docs.
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:30 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Welp, I guess there's no such thing as too many Fyre Festival failure docs.

4 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:35 am

watching the Netflix Fyre, and i’m suddenly reminded of my uncle. super conservative, watches nothing but golf or Fox News (no exaggeration). years ago, while he’s still working for TSA, he starts telling stories of times he puts Hayden Fry or Iowa sports teams on flights. Oliver North once. the one-armed drummer from Def Leppard was selected for random screening so he asked him to raise his arms. anywho, like 2 hours after these stories he randomly pipes in with “that snoop, uh snoop dogg, he’s one hell of a guy”. curiosity piqued. “super respectful and polite and charming. really like that guy”. so I tell him that’s a cool story or whatever, and he pauses for like 30 seconds and says “yeah. but that Ja Rule is a real horsefeathering prick”
3 x

Return to “Social”