TV thread

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: TV thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:47 am

Brian707 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Yes, Dark is so so good. I'm rewatching the first 2 seasons so my wife can catch up before watching S3, and man do they really just nail it from the very beginning.

I just watched the first two episodes of season 1 for the first time. I am watching with the English dubs. Reddit is telling me a better experience is to watch it in German with the English subtitles. Which way has everyone here who watched it already prefer?

I’ve done both with Dark, originally I did subtitles and rewatching with my wife it’s both dubs and subtitles. I don’t think there’s a wrong answer. In general I prefer subtitles, especially for a show like Dark where you can’t multitask or have it as background noise. The only distracting thing I’ve noticed is sometimes the dub and the subtitles interpret things a little differently, but never so egregiously that it takes you out of the scene.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:00 am

Dubs are always infinitely worse.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Brian707 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Yes, Dark is so so good. I'm rewatching the first 2 seasons so my wife can catch up before watching S3, and man do they really just nail it from the very beginning.

I just watched the first two episodes of season 1 for the first time. I am watching with the English dubs. Reddit is telling me a better experience is to watch it in German with the English subtitles. Which way has everyone here who watched it already prefer?

There is only one show that I can think of where I would recommend the dubbed version over subtitles, and that's Cowboy Bebop.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:48 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Brian707 wrote:

There is only one show that I can think of where I would recommend the dubbed version over subtitles, and that's Cowboy Bebop.

That's the one exception that popped into my head, like, 5 minutes after my post.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:51 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Brian707 wrote:

That's the one exception that popped into my head, like, 5 minutes after my post.

Oh, and the insane voice over casts they get for Studio Ghibli movies, too.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:There is only one show that I can think of where I would recommend the dubbed version over subtitles, and that's Cowboy Bebop.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh...true, they're not as bad as most dubs, but I've generally preferred the original versions. So many of the big names sound totally like they're just doing it for the paycheck.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh...true, they're not as bad as most dubs, but I've generally preferred the original versions. So many of the big names sound totally like they're just doing it for the paycheck.

I think your familiarity with the material makes a difference here too. My sisters wore out our VHS of My Neighbor Totoro growing up, and as an adult when I got the DVD with the Fanning sisters doing the voices I was so put off by the small deviations in their lines that I immediately set out to pirate the old version.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:04 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Oh, and the insane voice over casts they get for Studio Ghibli movies, too.

I think your familiarity with the material makes a difference here too. My sisters wore out our VHS of My Neighbor Totoro growing up, and as an adult when I got the DVD with the Fanning sisters doing the voices I was so put off by the small deviations in their lines that I immediately set out to pirate the old version.

Yeah, that goes without saying. Whatever you get exposed to first is going to be what you prefer, overall.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:06 pm

Sometimes. I saw the Princess Mononoke big name dub first, and didn't understand the hype at all (beyond the gorgeous animation) until I saw the original.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:22 am

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:08 pm

Hollywood Reporter says it was a brain aneurysm.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:09 am

One of my friends is writing sketches for Robot Chicken now. He got to perform in this one.

I really hope this leads to bigger things for him. He's a kind and humble soul with a serious talent for impressions and he's worked with The Groundlings for years. He deserves more.
2 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:22 am

I'm three episodes into Dark. Pretty good so far. Its especially weird for me to watch it, because I lived in Germany from 1987-1990 for K-2nd grade. I'm sure that a bazillion Stranger Things analogies have been made, but for me, the nostalgia is even thicker than that. Candy bar commercials and action figures I haven't thought to think about for decades.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Finished episode 8 for me. Fantastic so far.
0 x

Forgotmyoldlogin
Starter

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:32 pm

That new 30 Rock episode airs tonight!
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:12 pm

I'm Tracy Jordan. I'm black, NBC. Very proud like peacocks. Right, Janet?
3 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Regular Show wrote:

Yeah, I should have done that (rewatch the first 2 seasons) before starting S3. This is such a confusing show...

Spoiler: show
It's great and there are some amazing parts in S3, but the GoT elements still really bother me (you know what I'm talking about). Hmm, I don't want to reveal too much in here. I finished it and the ending is just okay. A little disappointed honestly for such a strong show. People compare this show with Lost pretty often and everyone agrees that ending sucked, so at least Dark ended on a better note.

I just binged the whole show in about 5 days. And yeah, the ending had some issues, but I was totally fine with it. Any comparisons to LOST are skin deep.

Huge spoilers:
The problem with the ending is that the origin is not explained at all. Ok, so two people from two different impossible worlds have a baby...but what's special about that? What makes that kick this all off? Why did their kid write the book? Props to the actor who played the young version, though. He was creepy af.

And then there is the fact that saving the clockmaker's son from dying in the auto accident doesn't undo the paradox. If saving them causes time travel to never happen, then how could Jonas and Martha save them in the first place?! How could their worlds be erased and that family still survive? Couple that with the weird part toward the end where Jonas and Martha showed up in each other's childhood closets. It implies that their journey to the origin world is a part of some kind of loop. How else could you explain their childhood selves seeing them, and REMEMBERING the event in the present? Now, if this is all to imply that Jonas and Martha's worlds are NOT erased...that makes a lot more sense. But then how exactly does the OTHER loop I just described start over again? The versions of Jonas and Martha only make it to the origin world with the murder-help of Adam and Eve and all the apocolypse stuff.

Also, why does the version of Martha who goes with Jonas to the origin world give any sh1ts about Jonas at all? That version of Martha only spent, what, a day with Jonas before that point, right?
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Regular Show wrote:

Yeah, I should have done that (rewatch the first 2 seasons) before starting S3. This is such a confusing show...

It's great and there are some amazing parts in S3, but the GoT elements still really bother me (you know what I'm talking about). Hmm, I don't want to reveal too much in here. I finished it and the ending is just okay. A little disappointed honestly for such a strong show. People compare this show with Lost pretty often and everyone agrees that ending sucked, so at least Dark ended on a better note.

I just binged the whole show in about 5 days. And yeah, the ending had some issues, but I was totally fine with it. Any comparisons to LOST are skin deep.

Huge spoilers:
The problem with the ending is that the origin is not explained at all. Ok, so two people from two different impossible worlds have a baby...but what's special about that? What makes that kick this all off? Why did their kid write the book? Props to the actor who played the young version, though. He was creepy af.

And then there is the fact that saving the clockmaker's son from dying in the auto accident doesn't undo the paradox. If saving them causes time travel to never happen, then how could Jonas and Martha save them in the first place?! How could their worlds be erased and that family still survive? Couple that with the weird part toward the end where Jonas and Martha showed up in each other's childhood closets. It implies that their journey to the origin world is a part of some kind of loop. How else could you explain their childhood selves seeing them, and REMEMBERING the event in the present? Now, if this is all to imply that Jonas and Martha's worlds are NOT erased...that makes a lot more sense. But then how exactly does the OTHER loop I just described start over again? The versions of Jonas and Martha only make it to the origin world with the murder-help of Adam and Eve and all the apocolypse stuff.

Also, why does the version of Martha who goes with Jonas to the origin world give any sh1ts about Jonas at all? That version of Martha only spent, what, a day with Jonas before that point, right?

So, I mean anytime a show/movie tries to do a complex time-travel story it'll lead to paradoxes and things that don't quite make sense...

I'm assuming the clockmaker becomes obsessed with time-travel and possible theories and develops the time machine with no help the first time around and that leads to the split universe or multiverse in the show. I've read some articles about things that don't make sense and unresolved questions and just other weird stuff...

You can find those articles online and plenty of subreddits focused on the plot and loops and stuff.

It's a really weird ending and I wonder what happened to Jonas and Martha and do they exist in a parallel universe now or did they just get erased from spacetime? It's kind of morbid and super dark (no pun intended) if they just annihilated themselves and their respective worlds to help save one family or one person's son and daughter-in-law. It would be like if Marty McFly went back in time and helped improve his parent's marriage and their future prosperity, but at the cost of erasing himself and his siblings...

I thought the ending was okay initially after finishing it, but after thinking about it some more the ending isn't very satisfying or good. I wish the creators came up with a better ending.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment ... -questions
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Huge spoilers:

So, I mean anytime a show/movie tries to do a complex time-travel story it'll lead to paradoxes and things that don't quite make sense...

I'm assuming the clockmaker becomes obsessed with time-travel and possible theories and develops the time machine with no help the first time around and that leads to the split universe or multiverse in the show. I've read some articles about things that don't make sense and unresolved questions and just other weird stuff...

You can find those articles online and plenty of subreddits focused on the plot and loops and stuff.

It's a really weird ending and I wonder what happened to Jonas and Martha and do they exist in a parallel universe now or did they just get erased from spacetime? It's kind of morbid and super dark (no pun intended) if they just annihilated themselves and their respective worlds to help save one family or one person's son and daughter-in-law. It would be like if Marty McFly went back in time and helped improve his parent's marriage and their future prosperity, but at the cost of erasing himself and his siblings...

I thought the ending was okay initially after finishing it, but after thinking about it some more the ending isn't very satisfying or good. I wish the creators came up with a better ending.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment ... -questions

Yeah, I thought about the ending some more, and the more I do, the more I like it.

The first question that the article you linked to asked is only half-legit. Its a paradox that the show addresses in season 2. As soon as time travel that influences the travelers happens (snap) you can't tell the genesis of anything: ideas, cause and effect, nada. There is no beginning or end to the infinite, and the same applies to an infinte time loop. Similarly, each alternate reality is dependant upon the other to exist. Not only is Jonas doinking his Aunt, but he is his own Great-Grandfather...and Martha is her own Grandmother. In order to exist, they must have all sprung into existance at once. Sic Mundus Creatus Est.

I think its pretty clear now, since the Martha that goes to the origin world can remember Jonas in her closet heavily implies these actions are ALSO a part of a loop. This has happened before (not as many times as all of the other events we've watched over the past 3 seasons, but still an infinite loop). Afterall, if this only happens once, the Tannhaus family is rescued from a car crash by two dream people. That doesn't really make sense. That crash HAS to have happened at some point in order for it to be, eventually, prevented. There are loops upon loops. An inner loop that we viewed in the first 27 episodes, and an outer loop that brings the inner loop in and out of existance as the Tannhaus's either crash, or are eventually saved by Jonas/Martha. ...it just requires one more jump back in time in the origin world. It was suspicious that Tannhaus describes his family's death as being "run off the road." Although it wouldn't require someone to go back and actively kill them to restart Adam/Eve worlds, merely going back in time at all would do it. Jonas and Martha wouldn't exist to save them, and thus they are created again.

I've also been thinking about something the show didn't really flesh out. Ok, so there are two different Marthas and Jonases depending upon if she goes into the house to save Jonas before the apocalypse, or if she listens to Bartoz and instead goes with him and eventually her brother to become Eve. But, that means there are two Bartozes, right? One that convinced Martha and one that didn't. It applies to everyone! There should be two universes after that divergence. What was the other one up to? Also, the Adam that convinces Jonas to go to the origin world was from the other side of the "Schodinger's Box" world. The alternate reality where Adam murders Martha twice. He then goes back in time and convinces that other reality, the other box, to end the loop. That's weird.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:19 am

0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 am

I know we touched on how odd Perry Mason is Perry Mason, but jokes aside, this show if horsefeathering amazing. And cinematically incredible.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:23 pm

The Logan wrote:I know we touched on how odd Perry Mason is Perry Mason, but jokes aside, this show if horsefeathering amazing. And cinematically incredible.

I watched the first ep and I haven't gotten back to it. I need to...I've heard nothing but really good things.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:50 pm

Banedon wrote:
The Logan wrote:I know we touched on how odd Perry Mason is Perry Mason, but jokes aside, this show if horsefeathering amazing. And cinematically incredible.

I watched the first ep and I haven't gotten back to it. I need to...I've heard nothing but really good things.

I love the old Perry Mason tv show. I started reading some of the books and boy, are they anarchistic to the current times. I don't have HBO, but I would love to watch the new show.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:03 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I love the old Perry Mason tv show. I started reading some of the books and boy, are they anarchistic to the current times. I don't have HBO, but I would love to watch the new show.

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:30 pm

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Social”