TV thread

Brian
Hall of Fame

Re: TV thread

Postby Brian » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:06 pm

New show started on Friday on HBO - 'How to with John Wilson'. I think the easiest way to sell it is to say that Nathan Fielder is a producer on it, and if that interests you I think you'll like it (based on the 1 episode out so far).
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:02 pm

Brian wrote:New show started on Friday on HBO - 'How to with John Wilson'. I think the easiest way to sell it is to say that Nathan Fielder is a producer on it, and if that interests you I think you'll like it (based on the 1 episode out so far).

I started watching it and my wife was like "what the horsefeathers are you watching?" and I didn't really have a good answer.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:43 am

David, slayer of Goliath on Xena(!!!), was Homelander's second acting credit! That show went way more nuts than I would remember. Anyway, I'm still not over how season 2 of The Boyz ended, and maybe not because I liked it (the season overall was fine, had some cool commentary in it)

I like this summary of Quibi, which just reeks of corruption and almost like it was supposed to fail. All content is still under copyright of the creators, some were full feature length movies that might actually be good, so will eventually be re-released...Anyway the good thing is that alot/all of the people in that Imagine video from Gal Gadot and friends made some money to hold over during the pandemic, are set up to make more with Quibi out of the way...Weird times

---

Looks good!

0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:24 pm

Thank you.

1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:21 pm

2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:00 am

the season 2 finale of the boys is some very satisfying television

► Show Spoiler
2 x

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:40 pm

17 Seconds wrote:the season 2 finale of the boys is some very satisfying television

The season started slow but picked up as it went along. By the finale it was right up there with season 1.
0 x
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:34 pm

Confession - I've never watched The West Wing. When it started up I was still under the spell of my conservative family and shunned it. And during the Obama years it didn't seem a pressing need.

For the last four years, I've really wanted to watch the show. But the prospect of watching a fictional government that gave a horsefeathers about its citizens was just too depressing when I knew the show would end and I'd wake up under a Trump presidency.

I am so looking forward to starting on this show for the first time.
1 x

Forgotmyoldlogin
Starter

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:06 pm

Brian wrote:New show started on Friday on HBO - 'How to with John Wilson'. I think the easiest way to sell it is to say that Nathan Fielder is a producer on it, and if that interests you I think you'll like it (based on the 1 episode out so far).

This show is gloriously insane and I love it. Episode one was “how to make small talk” and I was thinking cool, something that could help me in my own life!

Episode two is... how to put up scaffolding.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:29 pm

Chappelle kinda bombed on SNL. His monologue was weirdly long and preachy. Is this who he is now?
0 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Several episodes into Showtime’s John Brown series. Quite entertaining. Ethan Hawke is great.

1 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:05 am

Derwood wrote:Chappelle kinda bombed on SNL. His monologue was weirdly long and preachy. Is this who he is now?

I thought the monologue was great.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:53 pm

Derwood wrote:Chappelle kinda bombed on SNL. His monologue was weirdly long and preachy. Is this who he is now?

Maybe this is a hot take, or a lukewarm take, but whatever. I feel like his standup act is much more edge-lordy now. His jokes in the past, while surely controversial in their nature, always were backed with clever observations and wit based on experience, but now it just seems like since so many people aren't taking the low road he's just sitting there on cruise control spitting out low hanging fruit jokes that anyone could've written. Like society has grown more socially conscious and he's intentionally pushing those boundaries for the sake of doing so.

That said, he's had some absolute classic bits over his last few specials, and there were many bits in his SNL monologue that I liked to be sure, but for the most part I feel like a lot of his act is there to push the envelope now and it feels cheap and phoned in to me.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:19 pm

The Logan wrote:

Maybe this is a hot take, or a lukewarm take, but whatever. I feel like his standup act is much more edge-lordy now. His jokes in the past, while surely controversial in their nature, always were backed with clever observations and wit based on experience, but now it just seems like since so many people aren't taking the low road he's just sitting there on cruise control spitting out low hanging fruit jokes that anyone could've written. Like society has grown more socially conscious and he's intentionally pushing those boundaries for the sake of doing so.

That said, he's had some absolute classic bits over his last few specials, and there were many bits in his SNL monologue that I liked to be sure, but for the most part I feel like a lot of his act is there to push the envelope now and it feels cheap and phoned in to me.

I think that is just who he is. He's an iconoclast. That's his act. He's also is mildly overtly homophobic and sexist.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:29 pm

The Logan wrote:

He was also only in two sketches which seemed pretty lazy.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:34 pm

The Logan wrote:

Yeah, this is what I was feeling as well. In the early 2000's, his stand up was great because he knew (and we knew) that he was pushing the boundaries to make his point, but we enjoyed it because we were all in on the joke. That SNL monologue felt like he was just trying to poke the bear for the sake of poking the bear. The moment when he actually said "Oh, am I triggering you?" was so cringey because a) of course that's what he's doing but b) he used to do that without having to say it. You could also tell that he was annoyed that the audience wasn't laughing at some of his jokes (his line about "Hey Lorne, I thought you said this was a comedy show" felt like a "bombing" moment in the monologue)
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:51 pm

3 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:08 am

L to the og
3 x

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:59 am

Moonbase 8 was funish. Three very different comic sensibilities that don’t quite work together, but each deliver laughs. Armisen was under utilized and Reilly was very much a one trick pony. Heidecker always gets to me though.

Beef style stew.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:44 am

Anyone else catch Queen's Gambit yet? I'm a chess nerd, so a lot of times, I get taken out of stuff like this when there is some small thing they screw up. But in addition to being beautifully shot, having a ridiculously attractive lead, and a decent story line, it completely nails the chess. I was also how surprised the chess was so central to the story, given how popular the show is. Between this and Naka being one of the top streamers around right now, chess is seeing a mini renaissance.

My only gripe would be that the last episode was very cheesy. ...that, and the Spassky knock off decided to play the Albin Counter Gambit (my pet line against the Queen's Gambit, almost strictly for patzers who want to take their friends out of book) with all the tournament marbles on the line. Not realistic.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:50 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Anyone else catch Queen's Gambit yet? I'm a chess nerd, so a lot of times, I get taken out of stuff like this when there is some small thing they screw up. But in addition to being beautifully shot, having a ridiculously attractive lead, and a decent story line, it completely nails the chess. I was also how surprised the chess was so central to the story, given how popular the show is. Between this and Naka being one of the top streamers around right now, chess is seeing a mini renaissance.

My only gripe would be that the last episode was very cheesy. ...that, and the Spassky knock off decided to play the Albin Counter Gambit (my pet line against the Queen's Gambit, almost strictly for patzers who want to take their friends out of book) with all the tournament marbles on the line. Not realistic.

I am not a chess enthusiast, but I liked it as a fun combo of, like, Miracle and Mad Men.
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:58 am

I really enjoyed it.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:14 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Anyone else catch Queen's Gambit yet? I'm a chess nerd, so a lot of times, I get taken out of stuff like this when there is some small thing they screw up. But in addition to being beautifully shot, having a ridiculously attractive lead, and a decent story line, it completely nails the chess. I was also how surprised the chess was so central to the story, given how popular the show is. Between this and Naka being one of the top streamers around right now, chess is seeing a mini renaissance.

I've been avoiding it precisely because I can't stand chess in media because they never get it right. So now I'm intrigued.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:26 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

I've been avoiding it precisely because I can't stand chess in media because they never get it right. So now I'm intrigued.

They got Kasparov (who used some of his prep for one of the games) and Pandolfini (who taught the characters how to move the pieces like they knew what was up) to advise production.
1 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:49 pm

Only 2 episodes in and i think its excellent. Im also not a Chess player beyond the basics. Its just a fascinating story.
0 x

Return to “Social”