Corporate grab ass shenanigans, and so much worse

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Re: Corporate grab ass shenanigans, and so much worse

Postby Stannis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:35 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
bcl412 wrote:I mean, that’s how you apologize for something like this but yeah, coming back from this is going to be challenging. A good chunk of his fan base will struggle with this I would think.

Much like a good chunk of the Blazing Saddles fan base likes it for all the wrong reasons, I would bet heavily on a large portion of CK's fan base having questionable attachment to his material.

As a former huge CK fan, i would hope not. His comedy was pretty progressive and he was a clear and violently sane voice of reason that misogynists would hate.
0 x
“I am not without mercy,” thundered he who was notoriously without mercy.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Stannis wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
bcl412 wrote:I mean, that’s how you apologize for something like this but yeah, coming back from this is going to be challenging. A good chunk of his fan base will struggle with this I would think.

Much like a good chunk of the Blazing Saddles fan base likes it for all the wrong reasons, I would bet heavily on a large portion of CK's fan base having questionable attachment to his material.

As a former huge CK fan, i would hope not. His comedy was pretty progressive and he was a clear and violently sane voice of reason that misogynists would hate.

I know there are people who hare big fans of Louis CK, and Barstool sports.

It's the "saying things your mom would scold you for saying" aspect of it that they enjoyed.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Banedon wrote:It's a very good statement, but it's just words. It's tough right now to see how he comes out the other side of this.

There's been a couple women who have noted he will probably go away for a while and come back relatively unscathed.

I think that's going to happen as well. He's already done a whole bunch of stuff on his own dime, producing his own content and hosting it on his website. I'd bet he can do that again, as well as get some bit parts in other stuff.

i mean, if woody allen is still out there

It took 10 years, but Mel Gibson is back.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:41 pm

I mean, can he come back? Nah, nor should he. But it's not like he's Cosby, either.
0 x

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:42 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Stannis wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I know there are people who hare big fans of Louis CK, and Barstool sports.

It's the "saying things your mom would scold you for saying" aspect of it that they enjoyed.

Dude said the n word on stage and got away with it. Maybe that makes him a folk hero.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:53 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:56 pm

i could see the barstool crowd running with the "being white is thoroughly good" bit
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:57 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/iliza/status/929072327500926976

unrelated to this good joke, but didn't we decide she sucks for something maybe a year or two ago? i can't remember what, just remember some backlash about something.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:01 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/iliza/status/929072327500926976

unrelated to this good joke, but didn't we decide she sucks for something maybe a year or two ago? i can't remember what, just remember some backlash about something.

oh yeah, she sucks. A big part was she constantly bitches about the airlines she's flying and gets into I AM RIGHT AND THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS diatribes. But she occasionally posts photos of herself in yoga pants so I never unfollowed. And she is funny.
1 x

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Stannis wrote:I mean, can he come back? Nah, nor should he. But it's not like he's Cosby, either.

I think he'll disappear for a while and slowly come back. I mean, Mike Tyson has a career now.......

Not saying it's right, just what I expect.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:08 pm

The_Achiever wrote:
Stannis wrote:I mean, can he come back? Nah, nor should he. But it's not like he's Cosby, either.

I think he'll disappear for a while and slowly come back. I mean, Mike Tyson has a career now.......

not really related to the subject but this reminded me that i've been seeing a ton of selfies with OJ on twitter over the past few weeks. people are awful and there's an expiration date on just about any of these things.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:12 pm

The_Achiever wrote:

I just don't think this is the same thing as Tyson or even Woody Allen. This is a big name in the midst of a bunch of big Hollywood names coming out as sexual predators. I'm not saying the guy's career is permanently ruined, but I definitely think the stigma will stick more than it has in the past, at the very least.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:13 pm

Banedon wrote:
The_Achiever wrote:

I just don't think this is the same thing as Tyson or even Woody Allen. This is a big name in the midst of a bunch of big Hollywood names coming out as sexual predators. I'm not saying the guy's career is permanently ruined, but I definitely think the stigma will stick more than it has in the past, at the very least.

You think the fact that his name is coming out at the same time as a bunch of others makes it harder to come back from than if it had been more isolated (and more serious) like one of those guys?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:17 pm

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:
The_Achiever wrote:

You think the fact that his name is coming out at the same time as a bunch of others makes it harder to come back from than if it had been more isolated (and more serious) like one of those guys?

I think the point is that it's a different era now, in how these types of allegations are treated.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
David wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I think the point is that it's a different era now, in how these types of allegations are treated.

Sure, with these types of allegations, but Tyson was actually convicted of rape. Gibson was caught on tape (and it wasn't THAT long ago).

I only know a little about the Woody Allen stuff so I won't dig too deep on that, but it's not like today we aren't fully aware of that stuff having happened and those guys are still out there doing their thing and not really ostracized.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:23 pm

I agree he’s gonna have to go away for a while and it’s not likely he ever does something for a mainstream/big company again (Netflix, movies, TV shows, etc) and rightfully so. But it’s different now than even 5-10 years ago, there’s plenty of mediums that he can use to put out content if he so feels like social media (FB live, twitter, YouTube channel, etc) and podcasting that he can get his stuff out and control it and not need a major company/partner to depend on to get content out that would/should shun him. Not saying he should do that or it’s right but it’s easier to stay relevant (don’t know if that’s the right word) and be producing content/continue his career.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I agree he’s gonna have to go away for a while and it’s not likely he ever does something for a mainstream/big company again (Netflix, movies, TV shows, etc). But it’s different now than even 5-10 years ago, there’s plenty of mediums that he can use to put out content if he so feels like social media (FB live, twitter, YouTube channel, etc) and podcasting that he can get his stuff out and control and not need a major company/partner to depend on to get content out that would/should shun him. Not saying he should do that or it’s right but it’s easier to stay relevant (don’t know if that’s the right word) and be producing content/continue his career.

i'm only going off the top of my head here, but wasn't he, in particular, already doing that sort of thing? wasn't it considered a big surprise when he signed with netflix because of his history of releasing and selling his content on his own?
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:30 pm

i had this thought in my head and was going to post something about it, but deadspin beat me to it

https://deadspin.com/espns-30-for-30-on ... 1820305314
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:38 pm

David wrote:
David wrote:

Sure, with these types of allegations, but Tyson was actually convicted of rape. Gibson was caught on tape (and it wasn't THAT long ago).

I only know a little about the Woody Allen stuff so I won't dig too deep on that, but it's not like today we aren't fully aware of that stuff having happened and those guys are still out there doing their thing and not really ostracized.

This dumb movie coming out is Gibson's first major movie role in like a decade, and I'm not sure that Daddy's Home 2 is some great rejuvenation of his career. It's pretty clear that's he's absolutely been ostracized.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:38 pm

rocket wrote:i had this thought in my head and was going to post something about it, but deadspin beat me to it

i don't know a damn thing about ric flair nor did i (obviously) watch that 30 for 30, but this is pretty much exactly what that one poster described having seen him do in a public bathroom, right? (was it davell?)
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Banedon wrote:This dumb movie coming out is Gibson's first major movie role in like a decade, and I'm not sure that Daddy's Home 2 is some great rejuvenation of his career. It's pretty clear that's he's absolutely been ostracized.

He was nominated for Best Director for Hacksaw Ridge a year ago.
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Banedon wrote:
David wrote:

This dumb movie coming out is Gibson's first major movie role in like a decade, and I'm not sure that Daddy's Home 2 is some great rejuvenation of his career. It's pretty clear that's he's absolutely been ostracized.

Get the Gringo got widely positive reviews a few years ago, even tho it wasn't a major theatrical release here. I think he's on his way out of it, tbh, even if his "comeback" is some stupid family comedy.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Banedon wrote:This dumb movie coming out is Gibson's first major movie role in like a decade, and I'm not sure that Daddy's Home 2 is some great rejuvenation of his career. It's pretty clear that's he's absolutely been ostracized.

this too...forgot about that.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 pm

horsefeathers...I forgot about that...was thinking of his acting roles.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:57 pm

rocket wrote:i had this thought in my head and was going to post something about it, but deadspin beat me to it

Rob Feinstein was in that 30 for 30? Uhhhh pretty sure he was caught in a To Catch a Predator type sting.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Return to “Social”