Corporate grab ass shenanigans, and so much worse

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Harvey Weinstein and the sweet sweet can

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, they're not THAT far off from being right about this; it is pretty inexcusable that so many people in positions of power themselves accepted, tolerated or worse something that was very much a VERY open secret for a very long time. Yes, it's obnoxious that their focus is very shallow and little beyond, "NYAH-NYAH-NYAH, LIBTARDS," but a lot of people do need to be taken for task for how long this went on, and the turds on the Right are closer to the kind of response this SHOULD be getting versus the mostly very polite, muted horror from people on the Left who knew a LOT better.

WHAT THE horsefeathers DUDE DONALD TRUMP IS THE horsefeathering PRESIDENT FOR horsefeathers SAKE ARE YOU horsefeathering KIDDING ME WITH THIS [expletive]?????
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:45 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, they're not THAT far off from being right about this; it is pretty inexcusable that so many people in positions of power themselves accepted, tolerated or worse something that was very much a VERY open secret for a very long time. Yes, it's obnoxious that their focus is very shallow and little beyond, "NYAH-NYAH-NYAH, LIBTARDS," but a lot of people do need to be taken for task for how long this went on, and the turds on the Right are closer to the kind of response this SHOULD be getting versus the mostly very polite, muted horror from people on the Left who knew a LOT better.

WHAT THE horsefeathers DUDE DONALD TRUMP IS THE horsefeathering PRESIDENT FOR horsefeathers SAKE ARE YOU horsefeathering KIDDING ME WITH THIS [expletive]?????

Whoa there.

My point is that is that people SHOULD be furious about this, and not just at Weinstein. Too many people with the ability to do something or say something allowed this to happen for a long time, and a lot more people than him should go down because of this.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:00 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Whoa there.

My point is that is that people SHOULD be furious about this, and not just at Weinstein. Too many people with the ability to do something or say something allowed this to happen for a long time, and a lot more people than him should go down because of this.

I'm not sure how many more people than himself, being the chairman of his company, and his brother, can really be found responsible. Sure, it would be nice to see other dirtbags fall, but are we really going to go after people who "knew" but didn't do anything, when they're knowledge is simply that they've heard stories? Cy Vance should fall and maybe the head of HR of the weinstein company should take a fall as well, but it's absolutely ridiculous that people are trying to pin this on anybody and everybody who knew the guy, especially when those people prop up Trump, who is the freaking president.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:04 pm

It doesn't matter if they're right or wrong when they're advocating for a sexual predator President, and working for sexual harassment central in Fox News. The hypocrisy of the messenger is the problem more than the message itself.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Banedon wrote:It doesn't matter if they're right or wrong when they're advocating for a sexual predator President, and working for sexual harassment central in Fox News. The hypocrisy of the messenger is the problem more than the message itself.

The worst thing they're doing in this case is inadvertently providing an out for Weinstein and co. because it allows the focus to shift to, "look at these stupid Fox News guys piling on when they lick the boots of President [expletive]!" Whatever; they're going to be awful and horrible about something every damn day. That they're being obnoxious shouldn't be an excuse to not actually cast a much more critical eye and response to people beyond Weinstein.

I get it; the guy was a pig and had power and was very intimidating and threatening. But we're also looking at a LOT of other very powerful people who seemingly turned a blind eye to what was happening, or even helped facilitate it. These weren't just rumors and innuendos...everyone knew. Even King Hack was joking about it at the friggin' Oscar nominations four years ago:

We've already heard about Affleck and Crowe actively trying to torpedo a story about this years ago to cover for him. You had people like Tarantino and Streep and DiCaprio with very close, ongoing relationships with him now trying to pretend like they had no idea what was going on...please. And given how much of an open "secret," this was, yes, it is pretty inexcusable that politicians (the Clintons and Trumps included) so readily cozied up to him just because of his prestige and money. This kind of far-reaching abuse should have as many lights shown on it as possible, and people well outside of his brother and inner circle should be held accountable. Hollywood has had a deeply-rooted problem with this kind of abuse basically since the beginning, and it needs to be attacked, no matter who it makes look bad or how it impacts their career.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:and people well outside of his brother and inner circle should be held accountable.

How?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:55 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:and people well outside of his brother and inner circle should be held accountable.

How?

Let that big ol' public shaming machine do its thing. Given that these are public figures in the entertainment business, try and make them as toxic as possible so that they're not able to just keep starring or directing or producing films like nothing happened. Don't let Hollywood get away with the type of nonsense it has with people like Allen and Gibson and Polanski, where they can't wait to turn it into a redemption story or try to paint them as unfairly persecuted or misunderstood. These are abusers and enablers who don't deserve their fame and fortune to be untarnished by this sort of thing.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:01 pm

This isn’t just a Hollywood/entertainment problem. It’s a societal problem. Higher education is full of this behavior, for example. Guys Like Letterman, Weinstein, Trump, and Cosby are just extreme examples.

I think the main issue is trying to make it seem like their behavior is that far out of the ordinary.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02 pm

CubinNY wrote:I think the main issue is trying to make it seem like their behavior is that far out of the ordinary.

Exactly; this kind of horsefeathers isn't the exception when it comes to people with power.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
CubinNY wrote:I think the main issue is trying to make it seem like their behavior is that far out of the ordinary.

Exactly; this kind of horsefeathers isn't the exception when it comes to people with power.

Which is why I'm all for trying to go after the abusers themselves, including the shaming option. But cast that net to all their friends and the message weakens and loses effectiveness. I don't see any realistic way to "go after" the non-inner circle.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:34 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Which is why I'm all for trying to go after the abusers themselves, including the shaming option. But cast that net to all their friends and the message weakens and loses effectiveness. I don't see any realistic way to "go after" the non-inner circle.

I agree. I don't think we can know how much people really knew. It's one thing to watch a married guy hit on a girl and get shot down or get picked up, it's quite another to see a guy force himself on a woman. I think there was a lot of the former and very little of latter. Being a creep isn't illegal.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:38 pm

CubinNY wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I agree. I don't think we can know how much people really knew. It's one thing to watch a married guy hit on a girl and get shot down or get picked up, it's quite another to see a guy force himself on a woman. I think there was a lot of the former and very little of latter. Being a creep isn't illegal.

I think you're crazy.

I think there was plenty of forcing himself and even if there was none, sexual harrassment in the workplace, as the person in power determining the path of your targets careers, goes well beyond just being creepy.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:44 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

"Their friends?" This clearly goes beyond just, "oh, I heard about that stuff, but I still hung out with Harvey." We're seeing people maintain long and lucrative business deals with the Weinsteins despite knowing about this, and apparently trying to help keep him from getting into trouble (but without actually stopping him, of course). It's likely even worse happened, so we don't need to tiptoe around and worry that some innocent pals got caught up in it. These people knew what was happening, and didn't say anything or do anything at the very least.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:56 pm

You know who I'd really like to see get caught up in all of this: Steven Mnuchin
0 x
Spoiler: show

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote: Even King Hack was joking about it at the friggin' Oscar nominations four years ago:

What's gross about that clip is the tittering of polite "Oh, YOU!" laughter after the joke
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:24 am

0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:45 am

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:13 am

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:35 am

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote: Even King Hack was joking about it at the friggin' Oscar nominations four years ago:

What's gross about that clip is the tittering of polite "Oh, YOU!" laughter after the joke

30 Rock made jokes too..

In another episode during season 7, the Tony Award winner cracked another joke at the former studio executive’s expense. “Look, I get it. I know how former lovers can have a hold over you long after they’re gone,” she said in the 10th episode. “In some ways, I’m still pinned under a passed-out Harvey Weinstein, and it’s Thanksgiving.”
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:26 pm

So Twitter suspends Rose McGowan's account over this, yet people like Trump somehow remains untouchable because...reasons.
1 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So Twitter suspends Rose McGowan's account over this, yet people like Trump somehow remains untouchable because...reasons.

*cruises over to richard spencer's twitter account to check when the next white supremacist rally is being held*
0 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So Twitter suspends Rose McGowan's account over this, yet people like Trump somehow remains untouchable because...reasons.

What are they claiming as the reason?
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:

What are they claiming as the reason?

Their nebulous "using profanity in an attacking or threatening manner" rules that they only apply sometimes.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:54 pm

sadly we have a pretty good idea why Trump's untouchable

0 x

Return to “Social”