#MeToo

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: #MeToo

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri May 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Everybody knows that Hollywood executives have been sexually harassing, intimidating, and raping women for decades. What this defense of my client presupposes is, he is one of them?
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Apparently there are a whole lot of inconsistencies and fabrications in the story of the guy that accused George Takei of sexual assault.

http://observer.com/2018/05/george-take ... s-assault/
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:54 pm

https://news.avclub.com/stephen-colbert ... 1826592358

In the ever-increasing roster of powerful men finally forced to answer for creepy and/or illegal sexual misbehavior in the wake of the #MeToo movement, some have at least opted to take responsibility for their behavior and unreservedly apologize to those they’ve wronged. Then there’s former President Bill Clinton who, in a widely derided interview with NBC News’ Craig Melvin on Monday’s Today Show, went more in the “How dare you ask about something that happened so long ago?” and “But what about Donald Trump?” directions. On Tuesday’s Late Show With Stephen Colbert, Clinton—alongside author James Patterson, with whom he’s written the new thriller The President Is Missing—faced the solicitous yet persistent Colbert’s questions about that interview with essentially a judiciously watered-down repetition of it.

Clinton, who walked out with Patterson to an extended standing ovation from Colbert’s audience, attempted to ride that adulation past Colbert’s probing, to no avail. (“Would you like a do-over on that answer?” was how Colbert phrased it.) Asked by Colbert why he appeared both taken aback and petulant when Melvin asked him whether the burgeoning #MeToo movement has made him reevaluate his behavior toward then-22-year-old intern Monica Lewinsky, Clinton responded that his “tone-deaf” answer resulted from irritation at Melvin’s assertion that the former president had never apologized to Lewinsky. (Apparently he has publicly, but never personally.) Clinton went on to blame the way the interview was edited for exacerbating public outrage over his answers, all while asserting that he, of course, thinks the #MeToo movement is “long overdue, necessary, and should be supported.”

That this is all part of a PR tour for one of the dumbest book titles of all time is just the cherry on top.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:https://news.avclub.com/stephen-colbert-politely-impedes-bill-clintons-attempt-1826592358

In the ever-increasing roster of powerful men finally forced to answer for creepy and/or illegal sexual misbehavior in the wake of the #MeToo movement, some have at least opted to take responsibility for their behavior and unreservedly apologize to those they’ve wronged. Then there’s former President Bill Clinton who, in a widely derided interview with NBC News’ Craig Melvin on Monday’s Today Show, went more in the “How dare you ask about something that happened so long ago?” and “But what about Donald Trump?” directions. On Tuesday’s Late Show With Stephen Colbert, Clinton—alongside author James Patterson, with whom he’s written the new thriller The President Is Missing—faced the solicitous yet persistent Colbert’s questions about that interview with essentially a judiciously watered-down repetition of it.

Clinton, who walked out with Patterson to an extended standing ovation from Colbert’s audience, attempted to ride that adulation past Colbert’s probing, to no avail. (“Would you like a do-over on that answer?” was how Colbert phrased it.) Asked by Colbert why he appeared both taken aback and petulant when Melvin asked him whether the burgeoning #MeToo movement has made him reevaluate his behavior toward then-22-year-old intern Monica Lewinsky, Clinton responded that his “tone-deaf” answer resulted from irritation at Melvin’s assertion that the former president had never apologized to Lewinsky. (Apparently he has publicly, but never personally.) Clinton went on to blame the way the interview was edited for exacerbating public outrage over his answers, all while asserting that he, of course, thinks the #MeToo movement is “long overdue, necessary, and should be supported.”

That this is all part of a PR tour for one of the dumbest book titles of all time is just the cherry on top.

These two comments, OMG

Before this article disintegrates completely into a cornucopia of vitriol I’d just like to point out the fact that the title of this book is only one missing word away from being a Troy McClure movie.

“I like the screenplay, but when I found out that [reads card] Bill Clinton was in it, well, I just knew I had to sign on!” ~ Troy McClure, on The President’s Neck is Missing II: The Whole President is Missing

horsefeathering perfect.
5 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Colin Trevorrow has some things to say:

https://uproxx.com/movies/colin-trevorr ... sic-world/

I mean, I made a film about holding predatory men in positions of power accountable for assault, and that is an uncomfortable subject to talk about. But we are talking about it now and we’re listening and I hope the negative response won’t deter other filmmakers from telling these stories, because we need to hear them, both in life and in art.

But I don’t fault anyone for thinking that movie takes too many turns too quickly or jumps between genres or goes completely bat [expletive] crazy, because it does. Our world is bat [expletive] crazy and our news cycle takes sharp turns every single day that seem entirely surreal. And that film felt like the way I felt over the past two years: just enraged by these events that I am powerless to stop and at times feeling like I’m losing my own compass as I try to deal with them. And so it was just the story that I wanted to tell in 2015 as we headed into that election. It’s just what the world looked like to me.

But absolutely, the response to it was devastating. And mostly because it was made with such love by so many people who felt so earnestly good about what they were doing. It definitely wasn’t one of those movies that you hear about where everyone knows it’s a piece of horsefeathers. It was not that at all.

Sure, The Book of Henry is horsefeathers because people couldn't handle it pre-#MeToo, etc.. Great call.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Colin Trevorrow has some things to say:

https://uproxx.com/movies/colin-trevorr ... sic-world/

I mean, I made a film about holding predatory men in positions of power accountable for assault, and that is an uncomfortable subject to talk about. But we are talking about it now and we’re listening and I hope the negative response won’t deter other filmmakers from telling these stories, because we need to hear them, both in life and in art.

But I don’t fault anyone for thinking that movie takes too many turns too quickly or jumps between genres or goes completely bat [expletive] crazy, because it does. Our world is bat [expletive] crazy and our news cycle takes sharp turns every single day that seem entirely surreal. And that film felt like the way I felt over the past two years: just enraged by these events that I am powerless to stop and at times feeling like I’m losing my own compass as I try to deal with them. And so it was just the story that I wanted to tell in 2015 as we headed into that election. It’s just what the world looked like to me.

But absolutely, the response to it was devastating. And mostly because it was made with such love by so many people who felt so earnestly good about what they were doing. It definitely wasn’t one of those movies that you hear about where everyone knows it’s a piece of horsefeathers. It was not that at all.

Sure, The Book of Henry is horsefeathers because people couldn't handle it pre-#MeToo, etc.. Great call.

See i read that completely differently. I read it as the movie sucked because he horsefeathering sucked at making it
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:43 pm

0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:13 pm

chris hardwick

0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:49 pm

treebird wrote:chris hardwick

I’ll leave you with this: I lost my period for a year because of anorexia. Somehow, I got pregnant ectopically (I was told I’d have to have surgery IMMEDIATELY because ectopic pregnancies are very dangerous and can often be fatal)- when I found out, I collapsed on the floor, terrified he would be furious with me. Between sobs I told him over the phone, “Please don’t be mad, and don’t worry, I have to have surgery to have it removed or it could kill me at any time.”

My fear of his anger at me for getting pregnant was literally greater than my fear of death.

Let me add here: I’ll never forget the night this man slept in a cot at the foot of my hospital bed after my surgery. It made me believe that deep down inside of him maybe there was a man who loved me.

Then, after my recovery, he and my mother were greeted by the doctor.

“The surgery went well, she’ll be fine,” said my doctor.

“Thank god,” said my mother.

“That’s great. When do you think I can have sex with her again?” said my ex.

It was his first question. My mother never forgot.

the horsefeathers is wrong with people? horsefeathers him.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Guy whose entire public persona is trying his hardest to be a maturity/emotionally stunted, pop-culture obsessed manchild turns out to genuinely be a maturity/emotionally stunted manchild. WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING.
0 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:20 pm

treebird wrote:chris hardwick

Good God. Every single one of these testimonials seems to shed new light on what abuse is/can be. They feel both repetitive and revelatory at the same time.

I hope he loses everything.
0 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Guy whose entire public persona is trying his hardest to be a maturity/emotionally stunted, pop-culture obsessed manchild turns out to genuinely be a maturity/emotionally stunted manchild. WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING.

Who the horsefeathers cares about Chris Hardwick? Why the horsefeathers do you care about Chris Hardwick? This is not about him.
0 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:26 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Guy whose entire public persona is trying his hardest to be a maturity/emotionally stunted, pop-culture obsessed manchild turns out to genuinely be a maturity/emotionally stunted manchild. WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING.

Who the horsefeathers cares about Chris Hardwick? Why the horsefeathers do you care about Chris Hardwick? This is not about him.

I'm not trying to defend him.
0 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

No one said you were. You made it about the famous abuser and not the victim. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't read the whole thing, otherwise I don't see how your take could possibly be "watch out for Chris horsefeathering Hardwick!"

Ugh

Also, you are one stumble away from blaming the victim for not knowing better than to date him because of his public persona.
0 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm genuinely confused about what's happening here. He comes across as a horrendously awful person in how he treated her.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:04 pm

javy knows my name wrote:Also, you are one stumble away from blaming the victim for not knowing better than to date him because of his public persona.

I'm not trying to excuse his behavior or his horsefeathers gimmick, and certainly not blaming her for anything; it was just my not clear way of saying, "I'm not surprised that the guy whose entire career is based off the whole 'I'm just a nerd who loves nerd things and I never want to grow up and will embrace the mindset of being unhealthily obsessed with the things I love foreverrrrrrrrrrr!" turns out to also be hideously immature and cruel in how he treats women, because we keep seeing that happening over and over and over again.
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:25 pm

I mean....it's at least a little about Chris Hardwick right? Just like it was at least a little about Harvey Weinstein, Louis CK, Kevin Spacey, etc (etc...etc...etc...)
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

No one said you were. You made it about the famous abuser and not the victim. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't read the whole thing, otherwise I don't see how your take could possibly be "watch out for Chris horsefeathering Hardwick!"

Ugh

Also, you are one stumble away from blaming the victim for not knowing better than to date him because of his public persona.

You clearly didn't read his post correctly. He was simply saying that no one should be surprised that Chris Hardwick is a piece of horsefeathers.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:32 pm

I mean, yeah...when it's a random high school kid shooting up a place to try to get his name in the papers, don't glorify them or what they're doing.

But when it's a celebrity that's being a dirtbag, you HAVE to call them out, to get them off the pedestal they're living on.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:32 pm

I'm so confused
0 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:33 pm

I read it correctly. It was a horsefeathers take that did a disservice to the victim and the piece by focusing on the one thing that she deliberately didn't talk about - the abuser's identity.
0 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Ugh

You clearly didn't read his post correctly. He was simply saying that no one should be surprised that Chris Hardwick is a piece of horsefeathers.

Nah, I can see how it would come across as, "she should have seen it coming." That definitely wasn't and would never be my intention, but that's on me for being so casually glib about something this serious.
2 x

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Ugh

Nah, I can see how it would come across as, "she should have seen it coming." That definitely wasn't and would never be my intention, but that's on me for being so casually glib about something this serious.

All I wanted
1 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Legendary Entertainment, which owns Nerdist Industries where Hardwick launched his career as a comic and podcaster, just released a statement.

“Chris Hardwick had no operational involvement with Nerdist for the two years preceding the expiration of his contract in December 2017,” it reads. “He no longer has any affiliation with Legendary Digital Networks. The company has removed all reference to Mr. Hardwick even as the original Founder of Nerdist pending further investigation.”
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

All I wanted

thank god you're satisfied
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Return to “Social”