Dog Training Thread

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Dog Training Thread

Postby Derwood » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
Derwood wrote:The puppy is in a very bad habit of seeking negative attention right now. It's common for dogs who are kenneled/caged all day, and it's hard to deal with. She will bark, bite, and generally act like an a-hole if it gets her attention. The recommendation is to ignore them when they do this, but when the negative behavior involved trying to tear apart your furniture, it's impossible to just walk away.

Recommendation by who? I've never heard this from any of my vet friends. If anything, it gets worse because you're not addressing it right away and giving the puppy attention/discipline that it needs.

EDIT: Forgot your puppy is Boston Terrier mix. Like I said before on here, they're known to chew anything. You got to be pretty consistent on discipline whenever they're chewing on something they shouldn't be. Put her back in the crate for like 10 minutes every time she does it and ignore her while she's in the crate. She'll learn that it's bad to chew/bite. If you decide to not do that one time, then she think its ok to do that.

I hear you, but here's the problem: if she goes to the couch, for example, and starts trying to chew on it, if I make even the slightest move towards her (to put her in her crate) she bolts and starts running around. If you try to catch her, it becomes a game of "keep away" for her.

I've never had a dog that chews this much. I just bought her a harness for going on walks, and after putting it on her, she proceeded to chew the straps in half in less than ten minutes. It's miserable. I know we should have started training her earlier to curtail this habit, but we've had no experience with it at all, as none of our other dogs did this (they weren't even interested in chew toys).

I did take her on a nearly 2 mile walk tonight, so hopefully she sleeps more soundly than she has recently
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Re: Dog Training Thread

Postby Splendid Splinter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:29 am

Yeah I get the "keep away" game. Have you tried to do commands with her instead of trying to get close and catch her? Getting her to sit/stay/go to cage/etc? My dog used to run away from time to time thinking it's a game for him until I got him to understand "go to cage" meant he did something wrong and he actually go straight to the crate.

I totally feel your pain on the harness/strap/leash problem. I couldn't tell you how many leashes I've bought for Titanium. It has to be in the 20s. It's one thing he STILL does, no matter what I do, and he's turned 8 yesterday. He even tried to chew on a metal chain leash that I had bought a couple years ago and got rid of it because I didn't want his teeth ruined. I don't have a fenced in yard and the nearest dog park is 45 mins away so I can't let him run around. I am moving into my house next week and I already built a 12' x 12' fenced in area and a 40' dog run attached to it so I'm looking forward to that.
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:32 am

DOG TRAINING TIP FOR DERWOOD

put your dog on a train and hope it goes to the home of someone who can handle having a dog
8 x

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:09 am

As far as the chewing goes, nothing but consistent discipline is gonna stop it, especially while she is teething. There is a product called bitter apple that you can spray on his favorite chewing spots. It tastes awful so they wont chew. That might be good for your leash/harness but for your couch probably not. Buy her a toy made for chewing/teething and try to keep her attention on it instead of the couch.

For them running away from you, work on their come command and always have a cookie handy to lure them. For general behavior, put her on a leash while youre watching TV. Eventually she will make the decision to lay down, and the moment she does give her a treat. Then periodically give her another treat as long as she doesnt get up. Over time lengthen the period of time between treats. Eventually do if off leash.

So, say youre watching tv with the puppy off leash and she starts chewing on something

1. Eye contact and a loud firm no. If youre close enough grab her
2. If she runs away from you, grab a treat, show it to her, maintain a playful voice and tell her to come.
3. Put her on a leash and treat her when she lays down like i described
4. When she's been good for a sufficient period of time reward her with play time or a treat jackpot, and then start the whole process over again
0 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:22 pm

treebird wrote:DOG TRAINING TIP FOR DERWOOD

put your dog on a train and hope it goes to the home of someone who can handle having a dog

I imagine this is how the dog is taking to Derwood training

4 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Thed Hoyerstein wrote:
treebird wrote:DOG TRAINING TIP FOR DERWOOD

I imagine this is how the dog is taking to Derwood training

Basically
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:25 pm

4 x

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:29 am

Chewing is something that comes natural to dogs and is good for them. For puppies, it helps with teething. For adults, it helps to keep their teeth clean. Don't discourage chewing.

Instead, encourage them to chew on the right things. Get a handful of toys for the puppy to chew on (nylabones are great for this). When the puppy chews on something they're not supposed to, stick a chew toy in it's mouth.

Also, don't get puppies people. Puppies are cute but they suck.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:36 am

scarey wrote:Chewing is something that comes natural to dogs and is good for them. For puppies, it helps with teething. For adults, it helps to keep their teeth clean. Don't discourage chewing.

Instead, encourage them to chew on the right things. Get a handful of toys for the puppy to chew on (nylabones are great for this). When the puppy chews on something they're not supposed to, stick a chew toy in it's mouth.

We have chew toys. She has them during the day in her cage as well.

My main challenge right now is to get everyone in my house on the same page with the training. My kids are very inconsistent, and my wife too easily gets flustered
0 x

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:51 am

Derwood wrote:
scarey wrote:Chewing is something that comes natural to dogs and is good for them. For puppies, it helps with teething. For adults, it helps to keep their teeth clean. Don't discourage chewing.

We have chew toys. She has them during the day in her cage as well.

My main challenge right now is to get everyone in my house on the same page with the training. My kids are very inconsistent, and my wife too easily gets flustered

You're not having problems with her chewing on things in the cage though, correct? I don't know what you're doing when she chews on something you don't want her to, but if her immediate reaction to you approaching her is to run away you can alleviate that by having an incentive with you. Assuming she enjoys the chew toys, make sure you have one.

Dogs are a lot more simple than people think them to be. If she's chewing on something she's not supposed to that you've reprimanded her for... she's not purposely disobeying you to get negative attention. Chances are it's impulsive. If you immediately give her a chew toy when she's chewing on something, she'll start to associate chewing specifically with the chew toy. Don't reprimand her and give her the toy. Literally stick it in her jaws. 99% of the time, the puppy is just going to move to chewing on the toy and it won't be a problem soon enough.
0 x

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:53 am

Also, the frustration you're facing is what happens when you get a puppy. You've made the commitment at this point and it is what it is, but keep this in mind the next time you hear someone talk about wanting to get a puppy and talk them out of it.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Just think of it as a baby you can mercifully lock up in a cage and completely ignore for hours on end, I guess.
2 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Just think of it as a baby you can mercifully lock up in a cage and completely ignore for hours on end, I guess.

A job that John Kelly is perfect for
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Derwood, the good news is a lot of these problems will go away as the dog ages (as long as you keep working with it.) Keep going for walks and taking the dog outside to burn off energy, make everything else routine (feed in the same spot, at the same time, every day,) etc.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:22 pm

put some Tabasco on the stuff you don't want him to chew on.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:01 am

So the chewing thing is a work in process, but she's got a couple of really great chew toys that she loves and is easily distracted by.

The big hurdle right now are random bursts of aggression/barking/biting that we can't figure out. There is no obvious trigger to this behavior, though it usually starts with her biting at the couch/pillows, you tell her "no", then she starts barking at you. Any approach towards her results in very defensive reactions (more barking, haunches raised, backing away). She then snaps out of it and is super sweet again.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10 pm

This dog hates your guts.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:This dog hates your guts.

apparently, many dogs do
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm

is the dog confusing you for a walking bone?
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:48 pm

David wrote:

apparently, many dogs do

My last dog was super chill and easy. This one is feisty
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:

apparently, many dogs do

talking about the other one who was super aggressive toward you
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:59 pm

David wrote:
Derwood wrote:
David wrote:
apparently, many dogs do

That dog was a rescue from a home where he was getting his head kicked in every day. He had some mental issues
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:
Derwood wrote:

That dog was a rescue from a home where he was getting his head kicked in every day. He had some mental issues

yeah but maybe most dogs just hate you
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm

i'm 100% just giving you a hard time btw. i love dogs and all but i would make for a terrible caretaker so i just play with other people's dogs. i couldn't handle one.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Yeah probably
0 x

Return to “Social”