Stocks

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Re: Stocks

Postby CubinNY » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 pm

So a friend told me about this Robinhood app for making trades. Does anyone know anything about it?
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 pm

CubinNY wrote:So a friend told me about this Robinhood app for making trades. Does anyone know anything about it?

My brother uses it and doesn’t have many complaints. If you aren’t putting a lot of money in (under 20-30k) and don’t plan on day trading at all (or very little) it makes more sense than the larger companies/apps since they charge transactions fees and limit day trading if you have Under a certain amount in. I think my brothers only problem is it takes a few days sometimes for money to clear. I use TD Ameritrade and would recommend that if you are putting in a larger amount than just a few hundred or thousand and plan on doing any sort of options, day trading, OTC Market trades, and money markets/bonds/CDs/Index Funds (I think they offer more things to invest in in those areas but am not 100% sure) etc. they have more features and allow for more types of trading.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:So a friend told me about this Robinhood app for making trades. Does anyone know anything about it?

My brother uses it and doesn’t have many complaints. If you aren’t putting a lot of money in (under 20-30k) and don’t plan on day trading at all (or very little) it makes more sense than the larger companies/apps since they charge transactions fees and limit day trading if you have Under a certain amount in. I think my brothers only problem is it takes a few days sometimes for money to clear. I use TD Ameritrade and would recommend that if you are putting in a larger amount than just a few hundred or thousand and plan on doing any sort of options, day trading, OTC Market trades, etc. they have more features and allow for more types of trading.

lol, I put like $25 in it. I think I should probably just not try.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

My brother uses it and doesn’t have many complaints. If you aren’t putting a lot of money in (under 20-30k) and don’t plan on day trading at all (or very little) it makes more sense than the larger companies/apps since they charge transactions fees and limit day trading if you have Under a certain amount in. I think my brothers only problem is it takes a few days sometimes for money to clear. I use TD Ameritrade and would recommend that if you are putting in a larger amount than just a few hundred or thousand and plan on doing any sort of options, day trading, OTC Market trades, etc. they have more features and allow for more types of trading.

lol, I put like $25 in it. I think I should probably just not try.

Ha, I mean that’s perfectly fine and exactly what RobinHood is made for. Give it a try. If the opening poster is right that $25 could be $25 million in a few years if invested in the right cannabis stocks.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:17 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Ha, I mean that’s perfectly fine and exactly what RobinHood is made for. Give it a try. If the opening poster is right that $25 could be $25 million in a few years if invested in the right cannabis stocks.

Yeah, after the initial lack of anyone giving a horsefeathers about this thread I lost some steam on posting more but man this week has been great for little guys popping up. Seems like every day somebody new spikes, just on some announcement. So I've just been spreading it around and buying up little guys.

On why the industry as a whole has so much opportunity, here's a little snippet from the pump piece I reference below under ABcann:

With sales of Canadian medical cannabis projected to exceed $8 billion by 2024 (http://nnw.fm/bEi4r) and the recreational market estimated to be worth over $18 billion annually (http://nnw.fm/x49Ay), investment capital has been pouring into Canada’s licensed producers (LPs). Though the demand for cannabis is projected to exceed 600,000 kilograms a year (about 1.3 million pounds), Canada’s LPs currently only cultivate about 20,000 pounds of dried marijuana annually.

That's forgetting about all the offshoot industries, like oils, edibles, CBD, nutraceuticals, and plain old pharmaceuticals that companies are mining out of the plant now that they're allowed to research it. Those niches are mostly where I'm focusing.

Here are a few of the companies that made big jumps just today:

Namaste Technologies (NXTTF) 11/1: $.17 11/22: $.37 Today's jump: 19%
They sell vaporizers and recently made an agreement with Aurora to sell on their site. Also acquired a Brazilian vaporizer company a couple days ago. Supposedly in 20 countries, with their biggest market being Australia, Canada is only their sixth biggest market in revenue. The video below lays out a strategy where they are planning to leverage their large customer database for weed sales in the future. Also close to releasing an app that will cross reference sales data with medical records and facial recognition.

(Note: this video is run by a guy clearly trying to pump the stock and he's interviewing a member of management. I'm not vouching for everything they say, but he lays out their strategy beyond the vaporizers)

WeedMD (WDDMF) 11/1: $.87 11/22: $1.64 Today's jump: 37%
They announced a lease agreement 610,000 sq ft greenhouse today. They'll initially lease about 200,000 of it but have the option to expand into the rest. They've got a market cap right now of $101M. Compare that to Aurora's of about $2B, where they're scheduled to have around 900,000 square feet of grow space. I haven't done much due diligence on these guys yet because they just popped on my radar today, but seems like they could still be pretty undervalued.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/ ... house.html

ABcann (ABCCF) 11/1: $.82 11/22: $1.13 Today's jump: 20%
Their stock jumped 20% today, seemingly on the strength of this article below that mentioned them and some of the other small players. Short story on them seems to be that they've got 14,000 square feet now, are building 50,000 more and have plans for another 100,000. The article below talks in some glowing terms about their efficiency and customer retention.

https://www.networknewswire.com/outsize ... ing-north/

Tinley Beverage (QRSRF) 11/1: $.30 11/22: $.49 Today's jump: 21%
A company that makes drinks infused with weed and hemp. Had never heard of them before today, but figured I'd include them because they jumped 21% today and their management felt the need to put out the press release below that "nope we don't know of any news." This is one of the few companies I'm looking at that actually does business in the US though, so with the California legalization on Jan 1 maybe people are starting to invest in companies that can cash in.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/ ... hange.html

I've been keeping a relatively tight watch on the industry over the last few weeks, but the only one of these companies that was even on my watch list yesterday was Namaste, which I bought in on last week. So I guess my point is that if you keep your eyes peeled there are companies all over the place that are popping off.

To loop it back around to the companies that I talked about in the first post, Hempco dipped down to around $1.40 last week then has jumped back up around the $1.90 mark and held there. Again, this is after they were at only $.61 on 11/1. Aurora is back to $5.07 after dropping to around $4.00 last week (again after being only $2.34 on 11/1).

I bring this up in response to the question of "ok these stocks are up 40% today but then are they going to drop back 40% tomorrow." The answer to that as always is "maybe, I can't see the future." But these are two examples of companies whose stock prices doubled or tripled in 2 days. The market pushed back, with people shorting the hell out of the stocks, but they seem to have squeezed through that this week.

https://equity.guru/2017/11/17/hammer-l ... -shorting/

This article is from last Friday. They clearly like the market and have written pump pieces in the past, but this is a decent article describing the Hempco's situation as it stood last week. Huge jump in stock price, so the shorters see easy money and there are a ton of shorts. Personally, I like the future of the company a lot so didn't sweat the dip and just bought more.

If you're keeping track at home and want some more companies to look into, here is what my watch list looks like right now, sorted from highest to lowest market cap:

TWMJF, ACBFF, MEDFF, APHQF, PRMCF, CMMDF, XXII, SPRWF, ZYNE, RDDTF, MRRCF, MYMMF, ABCCF, CBWTF, MPXEF, TBQBF, NXTTF, THCBF, HMPPF, TBPMF, HRVOF, LXRP, QRSRF, VPGDF, PUFXF, NSPDF, KALTF, RVVTF, HMLSF

And out of those I'm looking closer at the ones I did breakouts above, as well as IMLFF, RVVTF, KALTF, and TBPMF in the pharmaceutical sector. Basically, all these are <=.50 lottery tickets where if they discover something great the stock could go nuts. I've seen people point to GW Pharmaceuticals as a template for some of these.

Ok, that was fun! Now to go back to being buried on page 11. Good luck to anyone who can make some use of this stuff!
0 x

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:46 am

Ive been using Robinhood and stash. Im self employed and I invest a percentage of what I hold back for taxes, so I end up with larger amounts than most users of that app would have, and a lot of deposits/withdrawals/purchases/sells. I have deposited and withdrawn several times from both apps. Its quick, no fees, no scams. Theyre both great apps and awesome for beginning investers.

Id recommend Stash for small amounts. The guy who said he has $25, Stash is for you. While Robinhood you are actually directly purchasing individual stocks and you cant do a fraction of a stock, Stash youre buying....ok I dont know the fancy word for it...but its a collection of stocks. for example I bought $200 of a "stock" called "Defending America" which is a collection of stocks that deal with military: boeing, Raytheon, Rockwell, etc. The stock itself costs like 180 which on Robinhood would price you out of buying it, but on Stash you can just purchase $25 of it and youll own a certain percentage of that stock. Although, the downside to stash is that of youre interested in a particular stock youre out of luck.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:55 am

Enn Tea wrote:Ive been using Robinhood and stash. Im self employed and I invest a percentage of what I hold back for taxes, so I end up with larger amounts than most users of that app would have, and a lot of deposits/withdrawals. I have deposited and withdrawn several times from both apps. Its quick, no fees, no scams. Theyre both great apps and awesome for beginning investers.

Id recommend stash for small amounts. The guy who said he has $25, Stash is for you. While Robinhood you are actually directly purchasing individual stocks and you cant do a fraction of a stock, Stash youre buying....ok I dont know the fancy word for it...but its a collection of stocks. for example I bought $200 of a "stock" called "Defending America" which is a collection of stocks that deal with military: boeing, Raytheon, Rockwell, etc. The stock itself costs like 180 which on Robinhood would price you out of buying it, but on Stash you can just purchase $25 of it and youll own a certain percentage of that stock. Although, the downside to stash is that of youre interested in a particular stock youre out of luck.

An ETF
Exchanged traded fund
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Enn Tea
All-Star

Postby Enn Tea » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:04 am

Dammit, I absolutely knew the fancy name for it but didnt wanna be wrong. Thanks.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:15 am

I joked earlier about Bitcoin, but now I have a Facebook friend who is trying to convince everyone to buy Bitcoin, saying that it is easy money and a sound investment.

I posted an article calling it seven times more volatile than gold, and he was like “well yeah, but it’s just SO EASY”.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:42 am

Derwood wrote:I joked earlier about Bitcoin, but now I have a Facebook friend who is trying to convince everyone to buy Bitcoin, saying that it is easy money and a sound investment.

I posted an article calling it seven times more volatile than gold, and he was like “well yeah, but it’s just SO EASY”.

My girl has a friend who is getting her all excited about Bitcoin, and I'm not planning on straight up buying in but there are two things about it that I think are worth looking into. First is that the CBOE is launching an options exchange in December. I haven't traded options yet, but I know a bit about them and one thing I know is that volatility tends to be good for options.

Like you could make a bet that Bitcoin hits something like $12,000 by the end of January and since that's like 50% above the price right now it would be a pretty cheap bet. If it does hit $12,000 even for a couple minutes you could cash in pretty big. I'm sure that a lot of that volatility will be priced in, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

Then the other thing is in mining, which seems to be a pretty easy way to get passive income if you can afford the initial set up. I was talking to a guy at the bar yesterday who said he was into the mining thing deep enough that he's planning to move to some southeast Asian country and set up a "farm" of computers that mine all day long. He said it takes something like $2,500 to get the computer and software, but it generates $500-600 a month.

That sounds like pretty easy cash if you can afford the up front fee, so I'm going to do a little looking around. I'll post more if the research turns up anything good.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:56 am

Bitcoin is t a real commodity, though. It’s tied to nothing. It’s 1’s and 0’s. And it’s decentralized, meaning if something goes sideways and your money disappears, there’s no regulatory board that’s going to help you out.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:12 am

Thrilho wrote:Then the other thing is in mining, which seems to be a pretty easy way to get passive income if you can afford the initial set up. I was talking to a guy at the bar yesterday who said he was into the mining thing deep enough that he's planning to move to some southeast Asian country and set up a "farm" of computers that mine all day long. He said it takes something like $2,500 to get the computer and software, but it generates $500-600 a month.

That sounds like pretty easy cash if you can afford the up front fee, so I'm going to do a little looking around. I'll post more if the research turns up anything good.

Please stop.
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:47 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Thrilho wrote:Then the other thing is in mining, which seems to be a pretty easy way to get passive income if you can afford the initial set up. I was talking to a guy at the bar yesterday who said he was into the mining thing deep enough that he's planning to move to some southeast Asian country and set up a "farm" of computers that mine all day long. He said it takes something like $2,500 to get the computer and software, but it generates $500-600 a month.

Please stop.

Ok? I probably should have left the bitcoin mining thing alone until I've done more research on it, but I did my best to note that I'm flying fast and loose on that part. I'll take the shot though because I probably shouldn't post til I have my information straight.

But aside from that, I don't get where you're coming from. I posted some stuff here to try and get some research out in case it's helpful to anyone. Your "don't take advice from guys on the internet" was pretty glib and reductive, and I'm not even sure what to do with this one.

From what I understand of your reputation, you probably have a lot of good financial knowledge. I was hoping that posters who do have some financial chops would jump into the conversation and school up the rest of us. If you've got something to say, say it. You disagree about such and such stock or some way I'm looking at things. The one liners are great, but not real helpful to anyone who might actually be reading my posts.

But whatever. I'm meeting my brother up for some pool, so won't be around to debate if you do get back. Looking forward to anything interesting you might have to say on stock front. Always looking to learn.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:29 am

It's not the particular product, it's taking a guy at a bar at face value, complete with talks of moving to SE Asia to have make guaranteed money by just spending some seed money. "Pretty easy cash" doesn't exist. If it did it would be exploited and tapped out by people smarter and more connected than you, I, or a guy giving finance tips in a bar.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:48 am

I am very intrigued and also very confused by this mining thing. I tried to look it up, but something doesn't register for me. You buy a computer thing? It solves math problems? They give you bitcoins? Who is the "they"?! I don't get it.

I can tell that it isn't very similar to rock or metal or gem mining though. The main difference is that those are all real things.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:08 am

Bitcoin get 'created' by a computer(any computer really) finishing a specific computationally difficult task, and you own the bitcoin you create. That's an oversimplification, but it illustrates the concept. Bitcoin mining is pretty mature though, and even though the price has risen significantly, it's a very cramped space, and there are people who through rooms of computers with top end GPUs in states or countries with low electricity rates(yes, it's computationally intensive enough that the cost of electricity makes a material difference) get much better ROI from it. So once upon a time it was a matter of taking a spare laptop or building a machine that would reliably mine bitcoin, but any more it's so crowded that it's a far thing from easy money.

More generally, Bitcoin as a whole is a minefield of scams and grifts, if you want to play around with it as a fun concept that's one thing, but even relative to more speculative investment stuff it's extremely risky.
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:07 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:It's not the particular product, it's taking a guy at a bar at face value, complete with talks of moving to SE Asia to have make guaranteed money by just spending some seed money. "Pretty easy cash" doesn't exist. If it did it would be exploited and tapped out by people smarter and more connected than you, I, or a guy giving finance tips in a bar.

Thanks, 100% agree that I was talking out my ass about something I heard from a guy at a bar. He's a guy I kind of know who is decent smart and a chemical engineer by trade, plus sounded like he had been at the mining thing a while so I took it pretty well at face value. And to clarify, he was actually talking about mining other, less mature cryptocurrencies. But unless I was ready to come with an explanation at the level of what TT gave I should've just let it pass without comment.

The rest of what I said what I said was true though. I'm a novice on trading, and I'd be into hearing anything you or anyone else has to say on it. I've got a business background and I've taken some investment classes but right now my knowledge is pretty limited to this Canadian weed space since that's all I've been looking at. But I named the thread just "Stocks" rather than something like the awesome idea of "Growth Stocks" just so that people wth broader knowledge could drop in on other subjects.

So TL; good call out, good classy explanation of the call out and thanks to TT for the explanation of the thing I was trying to explain. But to pivot back away from Bitcoin, I'm looking forward to any thoughts the amateur statisticians on this site have on the investing world. It seems like there really is a pretty good bet in the Canadian weed game. Is it real or is there a better bet out there?
0 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:39 am

Last thing I meant to mention in my post earlier is that I've been looking at a website called barchart.com, which gives a composite of a number of different indicators. Rather than make something up about what barchart is, here is the little blurb at the bottom of the page:

Barchart Opinions show traders what a variety of popular trading systems are suggesting in terms of going long or short the market. The Opinions takes up to 2 years' worth of historical data and runs these prices through thirteen different technical indicators. After each calculation, the program assigns a buy, sell or hold value for each study, depending on where the price lies in reference to the common interpretation of the study.

Right now they've got Namaste (NXTTF, still listed as their original alias Next Gen Metals) as a 100% buy with mostly Maximum strength and Strongest direction from each of their short, medium, and long term indexes. They say the stock is in the "Top 1%" of recommendations.

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/NXTTF/opinion

A lot of the other penny stocks I've been talking about have similarly high praise coming from this system. I can't tell you everything it's doing, but it seems to be mostly driven by the trend of the stock relative to some algorithm. So I'd guess that going from .15 to .38 in a couple weeks is going to help if you look at nothing but the trend.

Still, Hempco was one of those 1% companies in the week before the big run up. Still is a strong 80% buy with a good long term outlook. Aurora was a 100% buy before their run up. And the score has seemed like it's done pretty well at picking good stocks just in the short time I've been looking at it.

So another resource that seems decent, but again if anyone says it's garbage I'm open to that concept.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:14 pm

lol, I have Bitcoin adds on here.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:20 pm

2 x

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:54 am

CubinNY wrote:lol, I have Bitcoin adds on here.

Now I have day trading ads.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Seems super safe

0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:56 pm

If it wasn't this it'd be something else. No protecting idiots from themselves.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 pm

That’s so horsefeathering stupid, the Bitcoin/crypto currency crash is going to be something
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”