Food Monstrosities

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14714
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 4048
x 1311

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby The Logan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:07 pm

I've lived here for over a year and I've still experienced so little in regards to food. I think the only local "foodie" things I could recommend to people visiting is:

1) Brunch at Tweet in Uptown/Edgewater
2) Anything at Little Bad Wolf in Andersonville/Edgewater
3) CB&J or Duck Reuben at Hopleaf in Andersonville
4) Pequods over any other pizza joint
5) Softshell Crab Po-Boy at Big & Littles
6) Burgers at Kumas
7) 90 Miles in Logan Square for Cuban food

And even then that's some amateur level recommendations. Everything else I've had had been the pub fare stuff around Second City in Lincoln Park/Old Town. Boring.
0 x
Image

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14714
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 4048
x 1311

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby The Logan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Also I've been told the pizza pot pie at Chicago pizza and oven grinder company is worth the wait but I've never gotten it... I live right behind it. Literally my apartment is behind that place, I could crawl there... Never been.
0 x
Image

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21096
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1627
x 2086

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby davell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:25 am

I haven't checked this thread in a while, but Arby's.....

Anyone remember their Pot Roast Sandwich? I think it was around about 20 years ago.....

There's no way in hell there's a worst sandwich ever been made. It looked good on TV, so I ordered it. Took a bite, figured I must have imagined how putrid it was, took another bite and threw it away. For me, that was an impossibility 20 years ago. Never had thrown away a burger or whatever before then.

Fast forward a month, at Arby's.....Dude in front of us orders that sandwich. The cashier looks real funny, sighs, then says "Oh f***"". The guy was startled, then asked why he said that.....Cashier goes, " its the sauce man, the horsefeathering sauce". Said he hadn't had one ordered yet that there wasn't a complaint about.

Anyone remember it? Nastiest horsefeathering thing ever.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65368
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4227
x 4210

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Banedon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Apparently KFC ran out of chicken in Britain cuz they changed delivery companies and now Brits are kinda going nuts about it?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahalothman ... .qvG0VPwRO

A representative for KFC approached a butcher shop in Harlesden, northwest London, asking to buy all of its chicken, a source told BuzzFeed News. It is understood the shop refused the request.

On Sunday, KFC workers were seen carrying black bags, alleged to contain raw chicken, into a restaurant in Erith, Kent, through a backdoor.

A spokesperson for KFC said: "When it comes to the safe handling and transport of food, we have strict policies in place, so we’re investigating this urgently and will take any necessary steps."
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74373
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7968
x 10817

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 pm

The Logan wrote:I've lived here for over a year and I've still experienced so little in regards to food. I think the only local "foodie" things I could recommend to people visiting is:

1) Brunch at Tweet in Uptown/Edgewater
2) Anything at Little Bad Wolf in Andersonville/Edgewater
3) CB&J or Duck Reuben at Hopleaf in Andersonville
4) Pequods over any other pizza joint
5) Softshell Crab Po-Boy at Big & Littles
6) Burgers at Kumas
7) 90 Miles in Logan Square for Cuban food

And even then that's some amateur level recommendations. Everything else I've had had been the pub fare stuff around Second City in Lincoln Park/Old Town. Boring.


Nookiesnookiesnookiesnookies.
1 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14714
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 4048
x 1311

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby The Logan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:39 am

Oh yeah they're good too. I've only ever eaten there twice despite it being two blocks away from SC. Croque Madame was unbelievable
Last edited by The Logan on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74373
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7968
x 10817

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:49 am

All the breakfast dishes are, of course, always reliable, but I always thought they were super underrated/ignored for their burgers, too.
1 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8200
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
x 250
x 315
Contact:

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby mul21 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm staying at Ontario and Michigan essentially. Where should I go for dinner?
0 x
I like beer.

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 689
x 601

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby squally1313 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:02 pm

mul21 wrote:I'm staying at Ontario and Michigan essentially. Where should I go for dinner?


BBQ: Purple Pig
Deep Dish: Giordano's
Wine/Italian: Quartinos, but more of a group place
Steakhouse: Surprisingly heard really good things about Michael Jordan's Steakhouse, but can't personally vouch for it
Drinks: Howells and Hood has the biggest beer selection, Billy Goat is a Chicago classic if you can find it, Signature Room is at the top of the Hancock, best view of the city, but pretty sure the weather there is terrible (out of town currently).
1 x

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20413
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 111
x 290

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby UK » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:52 pm

The Logan wrote:I've lived here for over a year and I've still experienced so little in regards to food. I think the only local "foodie" things I could recommend to people visiting is:

1) Brunch at Tweet in Uptown/Edgewater
2) Anything at Little Bad Wolf in Andersonville/Edgewater
3) CB&J or Duck Reuben at Hopleaf in Andersonville
4) Pequods over any other pizza joint
5) Softshell Crab Po-Boy at Big & Littles
6) Burgers at Kumas
7) 90 Miles in Logan Square for Cuban food

And even then that's some amateur level recommendations. Everything else I've had had been the pub fare stuff around Second City in Lincoln Park/Old Town. Boring.


I'll be at Big and Littles (N. Orleans location) this weekend getting some fish and chips.
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 31118
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 430

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:10 pm

UK wrote:
The Logan wrote:I've lived here for over a year and I've still experienced so little in regards to food. I think the only local "foodie" things I could recommend to people visiting is:

1) Brunch at Tweet in Uptown/Edgewater
2) Anything at Little Bad Wolf in Andersonville/Edgewater
3) CB&J or Duck Reuben at Hopleaf in Andersonville
4) Pequods over any other pizza joint
5) Softshell Crab Po-Boy at Big & Littles
6) Burgers at Kumas
7) 90 Miles in Logan Square for Cuban food

And even then that's some amateur level recommendations. Everything else I've had had been the pub fare stuff around Second City in Lincoln Park/Old Town. Boring.


I'll be at Big and Littles (N. Orleans location) this weekend getting some fish and chips.

Wife and I really want to try that place.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14714
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 4048
x 1311

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby The Logan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:15 pm

I like Big & Little's a lot. Really good comfort food at really affordable prices. I mean look at this beautiful bastard:

Spoiler: show
Image


That thing was like $7 or $8 or something.

And even though it's pretty basic, their Pizza & Poke spot on Diversey is really good. It's pretty basic NY style-ish pizza, but horsefeathers if it doesn't hit the spot when it's late at night. Their poke is solid, too.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star
Posts: 1770
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:19 pm
Location: Ukrainian Village
x 1120
x 725

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:07 pm

i horsefeathering love big and little's. i usually get their tacos and load them up with the valentino sauce. i lived about a block and a half from the wicker park location a few years ago and it was my go-to place when i was getting takeout. now i'm just a little bit further away so i don't get it quite as often, but probably at least once a month. and the people that work there are awesome.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Duke Silver
Superstar
Posts: 10539
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 11208
x 7646

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:14 am

Not sure where to put this, but this is cracking me up. This guy seriously pulled a page out of the Michael-Scott-drives-into-a-lake book.

0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74373
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7968
x 10817

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Holy horsefeathers, that is a gold mine of stubborn hubris. Dude is CRYING like CelebrityNetWorth.com was some kind of God's gift to websites before mean ol' Google somehow came along and ruined it (and brainwashed him into being unable to read cooking instructions or smell when something is burning in his oven).

And we got the bonus comparison of CNW to Wikipedia, too.
0 x

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 2461
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 500
x 760

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Brian707 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:34 pm

This dude is getting ripped to shreds LOL.

Read the back of a pizza box. Every pizza is different and requires different temperatures and time too cook. But lets blame google for asking a vague question and not knowing that you should check on your pizza often while it cooks.
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74373
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7968
x 10817

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:04 pm

Brian707 wrote:This dude is getting ripped to shreds LOL.

Read the back of a pizza box. Every pizza is different and requires different temperatures and time too cook. But lets blame google for asking a vague question and not knowing that you should check on your pizza often while it cooks.


He kept bleating about how it was dough from Whole Foods and not a frozen pizza, but that comes with cooking instructions. Somehow this champion managed to char that pizza on a PIZZA STONE and then act like afterwards it's all the fault of Google. Hysterical.
1 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65368
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4227
x 4210

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Banedon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Brian707 wrote:This dude is getting ripped to shreds LOL.

Read the back of a pizza box. Every pizza is different and requires different temperatures and time too cook. But lets blame google for asking a vague question and not knowing that you should check on your pizza often while it cooks.


He kept bleating about how it was dough from Whole Foods and not a frozen pizza, but that comes with cooking instructions. Somehow this champion managed to char that pizza on a PIZZA STONE and then act like afterwards it's all the fault of Google. Hysterical.


I mean, if it was a little burnt it'd be one thing, but there's no way that oven wasn't smoking...
1 x
Image

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 2461
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 500
x 760

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Brian707 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:43 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Brian707 wrote:This dude is getting ripped to shreds LOL.

Read the back of a pizza box. Every pizza is different and requires different temperatures and time too cook. But lets blame google for asking a vague question and not knowing that you should check on your pizza often while it cooks.


He kept bleating about how it was dough from Whole Foods and not a frozen pizza, but that comes with cooking instructions. Somehow this champion managed to char that pizza on a PIZZA STONE and then act like afterwards it's all the fault of Google. Hysterical.


I mean, if it was a little burnt it'd be one thing, but there's no way that oven wasn't smoking...



Yup my smoke detector would be going off.

It seems to me this guy has a vendetta against google. Probably staged.
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44374
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 69
x 1942
Contact:

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Tim » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:58 pm

I managed to do that to a pizza one time. But mine was because I was using an unfamiliar oven at a vacation rental and put it on broil instead of bake. Of course, there was also alcohol involved (cue red wine + pizza jokes).
1 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 11555
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 1410
x 493

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:41 am

My wife made this "two ingredient" dough (greek yogurt and self rise flour) for pizza tonight. I was tasked with assembling and cooking the pizza. She didn't know what temp, but I managed to cook the pizza without asking Google and it didn't even turn into a black disk.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33102
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 651
x 4649

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:59 am

the horsefeathers am I missing? that tweet was pretty clearly not about pizza
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57637
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1997
x 6520

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:the horsefeathers am I missing? that tweet was pretty clearly not about pizza

They are all about pizza.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74373
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7968
x 10817

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:the horsefeathers am I missing? that tweet was pretty clearly not about pizza


No, man; the pizza IS Google.

Think about it.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57637
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1997
x 6520

Re: Food Monstrosities

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:43 pm

4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests