RIP Anthony Bourdain

David
Inner-Circle HOF

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Postby David » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:03 pm

well that horsefeathering sucks

depression is awful
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: RIP Anthony Bourdain

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:10 pm

horsefeathers, RIP
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Damn.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 pm

All of these suicides are heartbreaking. Please get help if you feel this way. I guarantee it's better than you think.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 pm

Literally had a conversation with my wife last night saying he’s on my short list for people I would want to have dinner with.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

wekse
5-Time All-Star

Postby wekse » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:45 pm

This horsefeathers sucks so much :(
0 x

muntjack
All-Star

Postby muntjack » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Ugh. What a life. So horsefeathering sad.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:48 pm

This report had just been released, too:

Suicide rates are up by 30 percent across the nation since 1999, federal health officials reported Thursday.

And only about half the people who died by suicide had a known mental health condition, even though depression had been thought to be the major cause of suicide, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

While many cases of mental illness may have been diagnosed, the CDC also noted that relationship stress, financial troubles and substance abuse were contributing to the trends.

“From 1999 to 2015, suicide rates increased among both sexes, all racial/ethnic groups, and all urbanization levels,” the CDC researchers wrote in their report.

"Middle-aged adults had the largest number of suicides and a particularly high increase in suicide rates. These findings are disturbing," said CDC principal deputy director Dr. Anne Schuchat.

But the CDC team found almost no group is exempt from the rise in suicide rates, except people over age 75.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... ys-n880926

It always bears repeating:

If you would like to speak with someone, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255, or text LISTEN to 839863.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:06 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm not usually one to worry about celebrity deaths, but this hits hard. Damn.
1 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Damn, I lost my best friend growing up this past March to suicide. 40 years old. My grandpa did this too 30 years ago.

This is really heartbreaking
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:40 pm

God horsefeathering dammit. What a horsefeathering life he lived. I'll miss him.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:40 pm

I do not understand depression at all, while fully understanding its awful impact on so many.
0 x

philosophizer75
All-Star

Postby philosophizer75 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:20 pm

This one is particularly difficult to swallow, I think, because for anybody who was inclined to enjoy the entertainment Bourdain produced, it took about 5 minutes before you felt like he was your cool ass, globe-trotting, cuisine loving, rough around the edges but absolutely endearing uncle.

Such an interesting guy. What a shame.

I don't know how to go about cracking the nut that is depression/mental health issues at a societal scale. At a few points in my life I've teetered on the precipice of ending it all for myself. Those days are, thankfully, mere blips in the rearview now, but I still ponder over what drove me to those depths quite often. In my experience, it was always a much easier rationalization to just: bottle everything up, suck it up, rub some dirt on it, get over it, keep to oneself; rather than share my weakness, my ailment, with anyone else.

I would embark on this train of thought time and again where:
"everyone else can make their way from one day to the next, you're just being a wuss."
to
"nobody wants to hear you complain about your trivial problems."
to
"you can't even wake up from a full night's sleep without hating yourself, what a worthless waste."

Having that as my inner monologue all day for months and months and years and years compounded upon itself to the point where I just wanted to go away. Nobody would miss me anyway, you see, which I had divined through all of the zero conversations I had had with them on the matter. What they actually thought was of little consequence, none of them knew me better than I knew myself, and I horsefeathering hated me. I would be doing them a service by going away.

Then one night when I was at just about the absolute nadir of my mental well being, I worked up the courage to tell my best friend everything. I sorta tricked myself into it by going full on nihilistic and thinking "if none of this matters anyway, and you don't hate her, just you, then it doesn't matter if you do her the courtesy of keeping her in the loop". I completely blindsided her, but I've never in my life felt more loved or appreciated than I did during and after that conversation. I truly believe she saved me, but in retrospect any of my siblings or my parents or grandparents or uncles or aunts would've done the same for me. At her behest, I ended up going to see a counselor that was provided for any student who had need of one at my college later in that week and had pretty much flipped the script on that entire chapter of my life within a year.

I wrote way more here than I had intended, but I figure that if someone else, even just one other person, can gain insight from my mistakes and my corrections then I'm glad to share. We're all biological machines churning out emotions and feelings and thoughts, and the best safety valve we have for letting off any excess is each other. If you feel that you're worthless or if you're without hope, try opening up to someone, be it a friend, a relative, the suicide hotline, a counselor, or some random person you find on the internet. Warped thoughts beget even more twisted notions. Depression is a toxic cycle, and if you allow it to run its course in isolation, you're giving the virus exactly what it needs to thrive.
23 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:43 pm

What a horsefeathering horsefeathers Friday
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:48 pm

At my age it's probably childish to call another man my hero, but that's what Anthony Bourdain was to me. The single most influential person in my life that wasn't family member or friend. His adventures created a spark that saved me from a really rough complacent unhappy time in my early 20s and gave me something to dream on. Really going to miss him going forward.
1 x

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:32 pm

I don’t get why, in a time when depression is less stigmatized as a thing (though still have a long ways to go) you still here “I don’t get it. With all that money...” The lack of understanding towards mental health is frustrating. Seeing this stuff sucks
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:41 pm

bcl412 wrote:I don’t get why, in a time when depression is less stigmatized as a thing (though still have a long ways to go) you still here “I don’t get it. With all that money...” The lack of understanding towards mental health is frustrating. Seeing this stuff sucks

The power of depression is such that it turns you against yourself. You feel as if reaching out is almost narcissistic, and given that depression works to tear down self esteem and self worth, trying to get help becomes even more painful. Why can’t I just be normal? What the horsefeathers is wrong with me? Why am I so horsefeathering weak? It isn’t logical, it isn’t sensible. It has no reason to conform itself to what healthy people see in the world.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:33 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
bcl412 wrote:I don’t get why, in a time when depression is less stigmatized as a thing (though still have a long ways to go) you still here “I don’t get it. With all that money...” The lack of understanding towards mental health is frustrating. Seeing this stuff sucks

The power of depression is such that it turns you against yourself. You feel as if reaching out is almost narcissistic, and given that depression works to tear down self esteem and self worth, trying to get help becomes even more painful. Why can’t I just be normal? What the horsefeathers is wrong with me? Why am I so horsefeathering weak? It isn’t logical, it isn’t sensible. It has no reason to conform itself to what healthy people see in the world.

When a therapist explained it to me along the lines of, "depression is the best/worst liar you will ever meet," it all kind of clicked. Everything it says to you is a lie, but it's the most believable lie you've ever heard, no matter what it's about. Have all the money you could need? You're just going to lose it all next week, or all that money has actually turned everyone against you. There are people who care about you and love you? You're just a burden to them and in the long run they'll be better off without you. It has an "answer" for EVERYTHING.
0 x

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 pm

The inability to separate thoughts and reality is so challenging. I almost wonder if that’s why a lot of people who are in entertainment/creative fields suffer so strongly from it because their creativity is building this deceptive world where they suck no matter what (though it could just be a lot of people do in general so it just appears it’s “only” prominent people)
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:25 pm

And then it's scarier when it's tough to predict/expect what the effects of a new medication will be, or how that medication will react with something else you're taking (even if it's over the counter). I had some crippling bouts as bad as or worse than anything I drove myself into that were brought on by my system adjusting to something new, or just because it didn't interact well with a prescription antacid/proton inhibitor.

Then you throw on the added task of managing sobriety/addictive/self-destructive temptations and behaviors, and it's a horsefeathering mess that can both sneak up seemingly out of the blue on both the person it's happening to AND everyone around them. "He/she seemed fine/happy/totally normal/etc. when I saw them the day before/that morning/etc." is such a common refrain, and often it's chalked up to the idea that the person had already made their decision and that was what made them seem so "happy" or "at peace," but all too often it's because you have no idea how you're going to feel, like, 6 hours from now.
2 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:31 pm

just another painful reminder that nobody nowhere has their horsefeathers completely together
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:21 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:just another painful reminder that nobody nowhere has their horsefeathers completely together

Except me man, I've got everything under contr..., what's that?

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:38 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:just another painful reminder that nobody nowhere has their horsefeathers completely together

Except me man, I've got everything under contr..., what's that?

Holy horsefeathers this is exactly how I feel about myself
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:49 pm

0 x

Return to “Social”