The Travel Thread

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby CubinNY » Fri May 04, 2018 1:38 am

We are heading to Sequoia and Yosemite for two weeks then down to San Diego for a conference. Is there anything that are must dos and don’t bothers at the parks? We have a 9 and 7 year old.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu May 24, 2018 4:45 am

The drive from Yosemite to LA is incredible. The San Joaquin Valley is one gigantic farm until Bakersfield. We are loving our trip so far. Yosemite was so beautiful but get up early before the grays get out and about.
0 x

SeldomSeen
Starter

Postby SeldomSeen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Getting married in September, then headed to Europe in October for the honeymoon. We are thinking Paris, so I'm looking for any pro tips from those who have been.

We are also open to other destinations, but we only have a week. Thoughts?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:10 pm

SeldomSeen wrote:Getting married in September, then headed to Europe in October for the honeymoon. We are thinking Paris, so I'm looking for any pro tips from those who have been.

There are 3 months worth of things to do in Paris. I've been there twice, only for 2 days each time, and barely scratched the surface of everything I wanted to do. Are you looking for museums? Sight-seeing? Food?
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:42 pm

SeldomSeen wrote:Getting married in September, then headed to Europe in October for the honeymoon. We are thinking Paris, so I'm looking for any pro tips from those who have been.

I’ll post some baller Paris horsefeathers when I’m back home later this evening.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:59 pm

We went last summer and packed as much as we could into 6 days including a day trip to London. We bought the museum pass, which was a really good deal and got us into the Louvre among about 15-20 other places. Bring a couple comfortable pairs of walking shoes. I think we averaged walking about 9 miles a day while we were there. Try to stay inside the city "loop" for train purposes so it doesn't cost you a bunch extra to get around. We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Paris Arcueil (which is outside the "city" for train purposes) and ate breakfast on our way to the train pretty much every day at this little bakery just down the street called Aux Délices d'Arcueil that was terrific and had ridiculous offerings on the weekend.

Versailles was totally worth the trip. Notre Dame was really cool and the little underground museum out front was a good history lesson. We did a Seine River cruise on the first day that gave a good perspective on where everything was.
0 x
I like beer.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Walking is he way to go in Paris. You find a lot of cool stuff you would miss if you subway/taxi’d from place to place
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 am

Lots of stuff to do in Paris, depending on what you both like. I'd recommend doing the Seine river cruise late in the evening, btw.
Also, Paris is a hub for French and international high speed trains - Brussels is only 1h20mins away and London only 2h15mins so you could simply make a day trip :wink:
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:17 pm

CubinNY wrote:The drive from Yosemite to LA is incredible. The San Joaquin Valley is one gigantic farm until Bakersfield. We are loving our trip so far. Yosemite was so beautiful but get up early before the grays get out and about.

We were supposed to go last month but had to cancel when they closed the Valley due to wildfires. Hopefully in December.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
CubinNY wrote:The drive from Yosemite to LA is incredible. The San Joaquin Valley is one gigantic farm until Bakersfield. We are loving our trip so far. Yosemite was so beautiful but get up early before the grays get out and about.

We were supposed to go last month but had to cancel when they closed the Valley due to wildfires. Hopefully in December.

I drove from SF, Santa Cruz, Sequoia, Yosemite, Death Valley, and Las Vegas last year. I fell in love with upper Yosemite. Also saw Death Valley at 128 degrees. :eek:
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 pm

does any one here use ScottsCheapFlights.com?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:33 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:does any one here use ScottsCheapFlights.com?

My wife subscribes to it, but we've yet to ever pop on anything from its newsletters
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:48 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:does any one here use ScottsCheapFlights.com?

My wife subscribes to it, but we've yet to ever pop on anything from its newsletters

I haven't either, but what I'm starting to realize is that the good deals are out of major hubs, like LAX or SF. Its been a bit disappointing.
0 x

Return to “Social”