The Travel Thread

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:22 pm

And it's usually tucked away in Ziploc baggies in a Coleman cooler in the parking lot. From my experience with theme parks anyway.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Banedon wrote:
biittner77 wrote:Disney Paris was nice but the food was lousy.

If it's anything like Disney World, you really have to do your food research ahead of time to find out exactly where in the park to get the good stuff.

It's more like Disneyland. We should have left the park and gone to the Village to eat, then gone to the other park. Our problem was two picky eaters, one of whom doesn't eat bread or cheese and the other that will only eat like 3 things the easiest of which is pizza.
1 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:35 pm

biittner77 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

If it's anything like Disney World, you really have to do your food research ahead of time to find out exactly where in the park to get the good stuff.

It's more like Disneyland. We should have left the park and gone to the Village to eat, then gone to the other park. Our problem was two picky eaters, one of whom doesn't eat bread or cheese and the other that will only eat like 3 things the easiest of which is pizza.

We are going to Amsterdam and Paris for spring break. Hoping the strike is over by then.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:50 pm

biittner77 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I hear ya...we have a picky eater too. Karmic retribution for growing up picky myself.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:33 pm

My picky eater loved the fish & chips in epcot, thank you limeys.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:13 pm

d_money wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

We are going to Amsterdam and Paris for spring break. Hoping the strike is over by then.

They did have some lines running every day, just not all of them which made it more complicated to find to next closest place. For example, we wanted to go to the Musee D'Orsay so we wound up walking about 6 blocks from the next closest subway stop from the line that was actually running that day. Which turned out to be great since there was lots to see & do on the way. So I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Our big problem was that there were 6 of us and practically none of the taxis had room for more than 4.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:18 pm

biittner77 wrote:
d_money wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

They did have some lines running every day, just not all of them which made it more complicated to find to next closest place. For example, we wanted to go to the Musee D'Orsay so we wound up walking about 6 blocks from the next closest subway stop from the line that was actually running that day. Which turned out to be great since there was lots to see & do on the way. So I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Our big problem was that there were 6 of us and practically none of the taxis had room for more than 4.

Good to know, thanks.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:19 am

In 2005, I was here. Godspeed to the people of Luzon

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51086961

My pic

0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:07 pm

2 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 pm

Or if you just like to laugh at how absurdly obtuse some people are.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:49 pm

In search of good college football experiences that are relatively easy to travel to on a weekend.

Background: Assuming NCAA Football occurs this fall, my college friends and I are trying to establish an annual trip where we go to a new college football game each year (and replace a summer weekend get-together we have always done). But we're all pretty spread out, so we want college towns that are within an easy drive from a major airport (say 1 hour or less drive). Positive if the place offers both a traditional campus experience, or if its just an otherwise just a cool city to visit outside of the football game (we'll probably try to balance the two). Strength of the teams really isn't important.

My first two thoughts were UT Austin and CU Boulder. Any other good ideas?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:05 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:In search of good college football experiences that are relatively easy to travel to on a weekend.

Background: Assuming NCAA Football occurs this fall, my college friends and I are trying to establish an annual trip where we go to a new college football game each year (and replace a summer weekend get-together we have always done). But we're all pretty spread out, so we want college towns that are within an easy drive from a major airport (say 1 hour or less drive). Positive if the place offers both a traditional campus experience, or if its just an otherwise just a cool city to visit outside of the football game (we'll probably try to balance the two). Strength of the teams really isn't important.

Yeah, CU Buff football is a lot of fun, the area is gorgeous with easy and difficult hikes all over, the city has the grimiest College joints (recommend the Dark Hose at some point) and the highest brow eats imaginable (take your pick on those), as well as some fantastic microbrews (also, a laundry list for those that rock.) Boulder is pretty cool.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:12 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:In search of good college football experiences that are relatively easy to travel to on a weekend.

Yeah, CU Buff football is a lot of fun, the area is gorgeous with easy and difficult hikes all over, the city has the grimiest College joints (recommend the Dark Hose at some point) and the highest brow eats imaginable (take your pick on those), as well as some fantastic microbrews (also, a laundry list for those that rock.) Boulder is pretty cool.

Yea, my sister lived in Boulder for like 5-6 years so I got to experience a lot of it, but never a football game. So I'd gladly go there, but open to other options too.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 pm

Baker Field in Manhattan
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:50 pm

I haven’t been to many of these, but going with the criteria of fairly close to a decent sized airport:

Colorado
Michigan
Minnesota
Washington
UCLA/USC
Utah
Arizona State
UCF
Vandy
Stanford/Cal
Texas
Oregon State
Kansas
Boston College

Half step down airport wise and you get into Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin,etc
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:44 am

Ohio State has a good sized airport
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:00 am

I was deciding between the Faroe Islands or the southern island of New Zealand (Milford Sound), that decision was made for me.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:57 am

Best places an hour from an airport where I’ve watched games:
LSU-fans suck, but a great atmosphere at night
UT Austin-lame game crowd, awesome city
TX A&M-everyone should see a game in College Station
Wisconsin-great college town and game atmosphere
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:22 am

NOLA wrote:Best places an hour from an airport where I’ve watched games:

How's Baton Rouge and College Station outside of the game? Much going on? Or is it realistic to fly into NO and do stuff there, then drive to BR just for the game?
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:52 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

How's Baton Rouge and College Station outside of the game? Much going on? Or is it realistic to fly into NO and do stuff there, then drive to BR just for the game?

I've been to baton rouge twice for work and like it, but if it's not your thing it's not far from New Orleans.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:40 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Baton Rouge sucks balls IMO, and New Orleans is a one hour drive away. Fans do NOLA by day then travel to BR for the game all the time. Old Style could probably offer more on College Station, but I liked it there. Good bbq.
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:57 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

IMO, I would stay in NO and go to BR for the game. How long would this trip with your college buddies be? Is just coming in Fri night and leaving Sun morning type weekend or more of a 4-5 days type trip?

Everything else I agree with NOLA. Austin is a great city. College Station was great to watch the game when I was there in 2012 against Arkansas. I did not stay there afterwards. You're 90 miles from Houston or Austin so if you don't want to stay afterwards you can pick and choose which city to stay.

I'm going to 2nd on Wisconsin. It's probably my favorite B10 place to go see a game and stay although I'm a little biased as I got cousins who live there so I go there as often as I can in the fall. Michigan is 2nd. If your group is the type who just wants to party, IU is an option.

I would love to put Arkansas on that list for you, but it's pretty far away from the airports. Such a great college town and a great atmosphere on game days. So many things you can do there if you stay longer.

Other college towns I would recommend that I've been to:

Arizona State (Tempe)
Colorado (Boulder)
Georgia (Athens)
Missouri (Columbia)
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:21 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

IMO, I would stay in NO and go to BR for the game. How long would this trip with your college buddies be? Is just coming in Fri night and leaving Sun morning type weekend or more of a 4-5 days type trip?

Everything else I agree with NOLA. Austin is a great city. College Station was great to watch the game when I was there in 2012 against Arkansas. I did not stay there afterwards. You're 90 miles from Houston or Austin so if you don't want to stay afterwards you can pick and choose which city to stay.

I'm going to 2nd on Wisconsin. It's probably my favorite B10 place to go see a game and stay although I'm a little biased as I got cousins who live there so I go there as often as I can in the fall. Michigan is 2nd. If your group is the type who just wants to party, IU is an option.

I would love to put Arkansas on that list for you, but it's pretty far away from the airports. Such a great college town and a great atmosphere on game days. So many things you can do there if you stay longer.

Other college towns I would recommend that I've been to:

Arizona State (Tempe)
Colorado (Boulder)
Georgia (Athens)
Missouri (Columbia)

Yea, we've typically always done Friday-Sunday. Maybe we'd expand to a long weekend, but that was my inital thoughts with keeping airports close by. People can only take Friday off or even a half day and get in Friday night, and also still get home in a reasonable timeline Sunday. If it's a flight and then like 3 hours it isn't as realistic for people. All of our previous annual summer trips were in major cities (and often where one of us lived).
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:08 am

Google has it 1:20 from Memphis, but Ole Miss was by far my favorite back when I used to do those trips
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:05 pm

Second on Fayetteville, AR being a great college town to watch a game, but I am biased. It’s one of the more beautiful parts of the country, too.
0 x

Return to “Social”