The Travel Thread

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:30 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:08 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/nsbbcom/status/1244300124446240770?s=21

Comiskey
Wrigley
Camden
Metrodome or Tropicana.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:10 pm

Wrigley
Wrigley
PetCo
Shea
0 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:51 pm

First: Camden
Last: Wrigley
Best: Camden
Worst: Busch II
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:58 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/nsbbcom/status/1244300124446240770?s=21

I remember it but it's hard to believe 19000 people rocked the stadium for those old sting games . . . pato, karl-heinz . . .

Wrigley

AT&T or whatever it is called now

Wrigley is best but I like Coors maybe if you take the sentimental value out

Astrodome
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:29 pm

Astrodome
Sun Trust (Braves)
Wrigley
Astrodome
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:06 pm

Wrigley
T-Mobile
Wrigley/Dodger
Metrodome
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:48 pm

We are canceling a trip to NYC, and our Air BNB host is being a dick about refunding us. Our booking and visit dates both qualify for the COVID-19 refund policy offered by Airbnb but hes hedging.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:55 pm

Derwood wrote:We are canceling a trip to NYC, and our Air BNB host is being a dick about refunding us. Our booking and visit dates both qualify for the COVID-19 refund policy offered by Airbnb but hes hedging.

is the nyc airbnb legit? there's more than a handful of places on airbnb that are tenants renting out their rental unit illegally.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:01 pm

cl smooth wrote:
Derwood wrote:We are canceling a trip to NYC, and our Air BNB host is being a dick about refunding us. Our booking and visit dates both qualify for the COVID-19 refund policy offered by Airbnb but hes hedging.

is the nyc airbnb legit? there's more than a handful of places on airbnb that are tenants renting out their rental unit illegally.

It was listed through their app, so I don't know how we would know if they were legit or not. All booking and payments went through Airbnb's software
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:16 pm

I haven't dealt with the host yet, but I have a tough choice to make for a late June trip. My wife was supposed to do a half marathon in Estes Park and we were going to stay for several days after(7 nights total) to relax and enjoy the scenery/RMNP. I have til a week from Monday to cancel for a full refund, but I won't know if the race is canceled til May(at which point I could probably still get 50% refunded).
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:26 pm

Airbnb's refund policy says "full refund if you booked prior to March 15 and your stay starts before May 31".

Both of those are true for us (booked in November, stay was scheduled to start May 29), but they're trying to tell us we only get 50% back.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:40 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I haven't dealt with the host yet, but I have a tough choice to make for a late June trip. My wife was supposed to do a half marathon in Estes Park and we were going to stay for several days after(7 nights total) to relax and enjoy the scenery/RMNP. I have til a week from Monday to cancel for a full refund, but I won't know if the race is canceled til May(at which point I could probably still get 50% refunded).

hopefully you're going for a few days before for the sake of her run! Estes Park is pretty remote from any major urban areas and probably fairly empty now. If your accommodation is in town and not a hotel, you might be ok.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:09 pm

We got a 100% credit that is valid through 12/31/21. Better than losing $500+
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:23 pm

stitchface wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I haven't dealt with the host yet, but I have a tough choice to make for a late June trip. My wife was supposed to do a half marathon in Estes Park and we were going to stay for several days after(7 nights total) to relax and enjoy the scenery/RMNP. I have til a week from Monday to cancel for a full refund, but I won't know if the race is canceled til May(at which point I could probably still get 50% refunded).

hopefully you're going for a few days before for the sake of her run! Estes Park is pretty remote from any major urban areas and probably fairly empty now. If your accommodation is in town and not a hotel, you might be ok.

actually, what I would do is cancel the reservation, get your money back, and if the race goes on and it's safe, make a new booking.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:25 pm

stitchface wrote:
stitchface wrote:

actually, what I would do is cancel the reservation, get your money back, and if the race goes on and it's safe, make a new booking.

Yeah that's what I'm leaning at this point. From a quick scan I can probably find a similar value accommodation(give or take 10%) even if I wait til May, I'm thinking that's a better gamble than the odds we proceed with the trip exactly as planned.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 pm

the girlfriend and I cancelled our wrigley trip in July and PTR/Cubs gave us a full refund. If - somehow - things were "normal" I figured we could make the reservation again later. But, I don't see that happening, unfortunately. Plus, there are too many personal factors that are unstable at this point of what "normal" life would would look like in July regarding taking off for vacation (not complaining - glad I have a job and hope to keep it).
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:54 pm

My youngest step son had been planning a cross country trip with his cousin and friends (from England) for the better part of a year. He found a 1985 motorhome with only 60,000 miles on it that he got for a pretty good price. He then spent months fixing it up, saving up his money and getting the necessary time off work. He's 25. He has already done a European trip for 3 months, another trip to Thailand, been to England 2 or 3 times and this one was scheduled to start on February 28th and go to mid May. They were then going to follow that up with a 2 week trip to Cancun. So, February 28th rolls around and they stop over at our house on the way out of town. Carburetor starts acting up, so he decides to take it into the shop. The part needed to repair it won't be there for 4 days, so they have to hang at our house until it's fixed. There's a total of 5 of them doing this trip.

So we accommodated the large group of funny talkers. Had quite a bit of fun with them, actually. We still have the other stepson living with us, and his girlfriend is over more often than not, so we had quite the full house. We say our goodbyes and they hit the road. They only have a few plans, and the first one is to be in New Orleans by March 15th. Leaving on February 28th, they had no problems meeting that deadline. However, they lost 4 days. Still plenty of time, but there was never a plan to rush. So they headed off to Roswell, NM and other fun places that these youngsters might find interesting. I guess they were having fun as they all got along really well, but the motor seized on them while they were in Houston. Now it's only a day or two before New Orleans. It's also March 13th, when some of the states started issuing essential business closings all over the country. They rented a car and Shane's 4 friends went on to New Orleans while he stayed back with the motorhome. Turns out it didn't need a full valve job, as the head gasket wasn't blown. Only leaks. So they were able to fix it with minimal cost, but still losing precious time since it took more than a week to fix. Meanwhile, most of the hotels were closed up, so these 4 Brits were basically sleeping in their rental car in New Orleans. Luckily Shane's half brother lives in Houston, so he had a place to stay.

Fast forward to when the motorhome is finally fixed, he got it back out on the road once again only for it to break down once again, this time likely for good. Shane didn't have the desire to put more money into it, the gamble of going any farther, or risking what the next coronavirus restrictions might be put in place next. Beaches were closed, bars are closed. Nothing is open and they don't have a vehicle to get where they want to go. So the Brits caught one of the last planes out of the country to go back home and he's been back in San Diego for about a week now, with their exciting 2 1/2 month US tour plans shattered. I can't even imagine how crappy they must have been feeling from day to day. I sure don't miss the days of vehicles breaking down. I certainly had my share of misfortunes out on the road, but nothing even remotely is sad as this.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:13 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
stitchface wrote:
stitchface wrote:

Yeah that's what I'm leaning at this point. From a quick scan I can probably find a similar value accommodation(give or take 10%) even if I wait til May, I'm thinking that's a better gamble than the odds we proceed with the trip exactly as planned.

Just in case you don't know, RMNP has been closed since late March, and I haven't heard any plans to open it anytime soon.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/20/rocky-mountain-national-park-closes-coronavirus-estes-park/
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:28 pm

We had an extended family trip to the Outer Banks for the first week of June. Going through similar stuff. Hoping we can just book for the same week in 2021. It will suck they're holding the deposit the whole time, but better than possibly losing everything. My Sister in lawmade the mistake of going along with the owners scheme of "book the minimum through VRBO and pay the balance outside" to avoid fees. Would make any of their refund policies much tougher to put in place, so she's basically at the mercy of trying to negotiate with the rental owner.
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Fri May 01, 2020 6:49 pm

We take our kids (ages 3 and 6) on a 4-5 day vacation each summer over 4th of July week. Unsurprisingly, the 4th of July events (parades, festivals, etc.) have already been canceled this year in our usual destination, so that plan is looking much less attractive for this year.

Assuming that we are in a somewhat better place by July, does anyone have recommendations for a kid-friendly, socially-distant friendly vacation spot within driving distance of Chicago? Nothing extravagant, but a place with kid-friendly locations like beaches, parks, children's museums, and the like.

Of course there is a really good chance this all gets thrown out the window if Covid cases are still high in a few months, but I'm just looking at options for a tentative game plan.
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri May 01, 2020 7:00 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:We take our kids (ages 3 and 6) on a 4-5 day vacation each summer over 4th of July week. Unsurprisingly, the 4th of July events (parades, festivals, etc.) have already been canceled this year in our usual destination, so that plan is looking much less attractive for this year.

Assuming that we are in a somewhat better place by July, does anyone have recommendations for a kid-friendly, socially-distant friendly vacation spot within driving distance of Chicago? Nothing extravagant, but a place with kid-friendly locations like beaches, parks, children's museums, and the like.

Of course there is a really good chance this all gets thrown out the window if Covid cases are still high in a few months, but I'm just looking at options for a tentative game plan.

Maybe some beaches on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan?
0 x

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Fri May 01, 2020 9:45 pm

Derwood wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:We take our kids (ages 3 and 6) on a 4-5 day vacation each summer over 4th of July week. Unsurprisingly, the 4th of July events (parades, festivals, etc.) have already been canceled this year in our usual destination, so that plan is looking much less attractive for this year.

I'm partial to silver beach in st joe, but I'm scuttling any plans for vacation this year. If you really wanted to, I'd find a lake house somewhere in Michigan or Wisconsin and get a boat. That might be doable by July. Just plan on eating in every night and not doing any indoor sightseeing like children's museums.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Fri May 01, 2020 11:59 pm

Derwood wrote:

Yep. I would rent a house on the Michigan or Indiana dunes
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar