The Travel Thread

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:my girlfriend and I have been watching The Killing on Netflix, and I remarked to her that they do a great job of making Seattle look like a real [expletive] hole

that's because like every city it really does have a lot of horsefeathers hole available for viewing pleasure. They got a horsefeathers ton of homeless druggies milling about, but they have a very nice natural landscape to help ignore the nasty bits.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:33 pm

NYC subway system is a [expletive] right now with a system wide power failure. Gonna be an interesting commute home.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:37 pm

Banedon wrote:
Murton's Revenge wrote:My home value has gone up 33-44% (depending on if you use Zillow or Redfin) in the 2 years since we bought it. So Seattle is definitely a [expletive] hole.

I don't know anything about Redfin, but while Zillow is a great site for home searching, it's a godawful measure of home value. Actually just had a discussion with my realtor about this last week because we're looking to list in the spring.

depends on where you live. The appraisal when we re-fi'ed at the end of last year was very close to the Zestimate at the time. The mortgage broker I use told me that the average of the 2 is pretty accurate in Seattle. It may well vary house-to-house too.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:38 pm

The Zestimate on our house is about $30k higher than any house in our neighborhood has ever sold for
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Murton's Revenge wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Murton's Revenge wrote:My home value has gone up 33-44% (depending on if you use Zillow or Redfin) in the 2 years since we bought it. So Seattle is definitely a [expletive] hole.

I don't know anything about Redfin, but while Zillow is a great site for home searching, it's a godawful measure of home value. Actually just had a discussion with my realtor about this last week because we're looking to list in the spring.

depends on where you live. The appraisal when we re-fi'ed at the end of last year was very close to the Zestimate at the time. The mortgage broker I use told me that the average of the 2 is pretty accurate in Seattle. It may well vary house-to-house too.

Basically, my realtor told me that zillow will just drop some size ofa radius on your house to estimate your value in comparison to those around you, but if you live close to a neighborhood that is either valued much higher or lower, they can affect the estimate. There's not really any nuance to it.

Zillow underestimates our house by about $20-25k. But it's definitely depends on your location, absolutely.
0 x

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:31 am

Excited about an upcoming trip with the wife and son. We're visiting friends in Santa Cruz the last weekend of July. Staying at a hotel just outside Yosemite for 3 nights and doing Yosemite stuff for 2 solid days. Back to Santa Cruz to continue to check out Bay Area stuff for a few days and then a Cubs/A's game.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:02 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:NYC subway system is a [expletive] right now with a system wide power failure. Gonna be an interesting commute home.

this horsefeathers with me big time earlier this afternoon. i was stuck at borough hall with a manhattan-bound 5 train parked and spewing heat out of every port imaginable. i was sweating like chris farley. horrible!
0 x

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:19 am

Just booked a trip to Gros Morne National Park. Has anyone ever been?
0 x

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:53 am

woodchip2153 wrote:Just booked a trip to Gros Morne National Park. Has anyone ever been?

That looks awesome. Add that to the list with Isle Royale National Park as places I want to go but will probably never get to see.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:13 am

woodchip2153 wrote:Just booked a trip to Gros Morne National Park. Has anyone ever been?

I have heard great things and always wanted to go. When are you going? What time of year is supposed to be best?

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR TRIP SO I MAY LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU
0 x

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:39 pm

treebird wrote:

I have heard great things and always wanted to go. When are you going? What time of year is supposed to be best?

I don't know when the best time of year is to go, but I'm going the end of August because that fit in my schedule. I just figured I'd make the trip as long as possible to increase the chance of having some sunny days for the vistas and just hang out on the coast/in town if it's cloudy or rainy.

I was just looking for a camping trip for this summer and plane tickets were only $550 from O'hare, which was a lot cheaper than I was expecting to fly to a town of 5000 people in the middle of nowhere, so I decided to book. We'll see how it goes.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Looks awesome. I'm doing 2 or 3 days in Mesa Verde in a few weeks; looking forward to that. Then Fort Collins later in the week for hopefully lots of micro brew tasting, plus probably a day trip to Rocky Mountain National Park as well.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:31 am

Spirit Airlines- "please enjoy our complimentary seat belts"

As long as there are airlines, no comedian need ever run out of material.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:06 pm

biittner77 wrote:Spirit Airlines- "please enjoy our complimentary seat belts"

I've heard nothing but bad things about Spirit. We just book some flights in November on Frontier, which I've heard much better things about...as far as budget airlines go.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Banedon wrote:
biittner77 wrote:Spirit Airlines- "please enjoy our complimentary seat belts"

I've heard nothing but bad things about Spirit. We just book some flights in November on Frontier, which I've heard much better things about...as far as budget airlines go.

My wife didnt like Frontier, but to be fair didn't realize what she was getting into when she booked. Once you added up the extras she would have been better off on Southwest. If it was a true discount, may be an ojay option.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:18 pm

So by my count, I've been to at least 11 of these parks....and 4 of the top 10. To be fair, most of them were on family vacations when I was a kid, so I don't remember them all super well. Which is the reason I can't be sure 11 is the accurate count.

I wanna go back to Yellowstone again badly...

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/nation ... 1785767444
0 x

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:29 am

treebird wrote:

Just got back. It was awesome. The diversity in landscapes from the green gardens to the tablelands to the freshwater "fjords" was amazing. I was there 7 days and it didn't rain for 3 of those. It was usually a light rain and intermittent, so you could still do some hikes or go for a drive. That sounded pretty typical weather for them. I was able to stay dry and how the clouds sat in the mountains was kind of cool too. I just wasn't able to enjoy many sunsets or the stars at night. It also made the trails really sloppy and sometime tough to navigate but the view was almost always worth it. Besides the Gros Morne trail, I barely ran into any hikers on the trails, especially the more difficult trails.

If/when you go, let me know, and I can give you more details. I hope I can get back in the next couple of years so I can do some of the back country hiking.
1 x

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:31 am

woodchip2153 wrote:
treebird wrote:

Just got back. It was awesome. The diversity in landscapes from the green gardens to the tablelands to the freshwater "fjords" was amazing. I was there 7 days and it didn't rain for 3 of those. It was usually a light rain and intermittent, so you could still do some hikes or go for a drive. That sounded pretty typical weather for them. I was able to stay dry and how the clouds sat in the mountains was kind of cool too. I just wasn't able to enjoy many sunsets or the stars at night. It also made the trails really sloppy and sometime tough to navigate but the view was almost always worth it. Besides the Gros Morne trail, I barely ran into any hikers on the trails, especially the more difficult trails.

If/when you go, let me know, and I can give you more details. I hope I can get back in the next couple of years so I can do some of the back country hiking.

Oh and I learned there is a Corner Gas: The Movie
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:21 pm

This being a Cubs message board, I'm going to caveat this and say that if things work out the way we all hope they work out, this whole idea will be trashed quickly.

That being said, as of now I currently have tickets to Florida State/Clemson in Tallahassee on 10/29, and then LSU/Bama tickets the following weekend in Baton Rouge. Outside of a few visits to Orlando and Atlanta, I really haven't seen much of that part of the country at all. My FSU friends would be flying back to the Chicago on Sunday 10/30, and my LSU friend would be meeting me down in New Orleans the next Thursday. I was thinking about renting a car and taking my time making the trip over, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for unique/interesting places to stop. Being (most likely) on my own, I'd tend to veer towards nature-y things vs good nightlife, but would obviously welcome good dining options too.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Banedon wrote:So by my count, I've been to at least 11 of these parks....and 4 of the top 10. To be fair, most of them were on family vacations when I was a kid, so I don't remember them all super well. Which is the reason I can't be sure 11 is the accurate count.

So many to do. 11, 18, 38, and 54 I think is all for me, 3 of those within the past year. I really liked Mesa Verde, so if its #54, I can't wait to continue knocking some of these off the list (though that park is more anthropologically significant whereas a geologist did this list, so it may be biased towards that). Just sucks so many are in the west and require a lot to travel. I think Glacier will probably be our next.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:56 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Banedon wrote:So by my count, I've been to at least 11 of these parks....and 4 of the top 10. To be fair, most of them were on family vacations when I was a kid, so I don't remember them all super well. Which is the reason I can't be sure 11 is the accurate count.

So many to do. 11, 18, 38, and 54 I think is all for me, 3 of those within the past year. I really liked Mesa Verde, so if its #54, I can't wait to continue knocking some of these off the list (though that park is more anthropologically significant whereas a geologist did this list, so it may be biased towards that). Just sucks so many are in the west and require a lot to travel. I think Glacier will probably be our next.

One of my more memorable trips as a kid we drove to California from Illinois, going a northerly route on the way out there and hitting Yellowstone, going through the Redwoods and Yosemite in Calif, and then hitting the Grand Canyon on the way back on a more southerly route.

So many of my hits on this list were as a kid.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:01 pm

Banedon wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

One of my more memorable trips as a kid we drove to California from Illinois, going a northerly route on the way out there and hitting Yellowstone, going through the Redwoods and Yosemite in Calif, and then hitting the Grand Canyon on the way back on a more southerly route.

So many of my hits on this list were as a kid.

I'm thinking a Badlands/Glacier/Roosevelt round trip.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:22 pm

squally1313 wrote:This being a Cubs message board, I'm going to caveat this and say that if things work out the way we all hope they work out, this whole idea will be trashed quickly.

That being said, as of now I currently have tickets to Florida State/Clemson in Tallahassee on 10/29, and then LSU/Bama tickets the following weekend in Baton Rouge. Outside of a few visits to Orlando and Atlanta, I really haven't seen much of that part of the country at all. My FSU friends would be flying back to the Chicago on Sunday 10/30, and my LSU friend would be meeting me down in New Orleans the next Thursday. I was thinking about renting a car and taking my time making the trip over, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for unique/interesting places to stop. Being (most likely) on my own, I'd tend to veer towards nature-y things vs good nightlife, but would obviously welcome good dining options too.

I've been to the Destin/Gulf Shores area a couple times, it's a nice place to spend some time beachfront but otherwise I don't have much in the way of recommendations for sightseeing. I did tour the USS Alabama in Mobile, that was pretty cool if you think you'd be into that.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Important reference for your travel needs:

Spoiler: show
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:07 pm

I really messed up with my October travel plans. We booked a Mexican cruise October 2-9. Then I'm in Vegas from October 11-17. Then I'm in Lake Tahoe from October 24-27. The good news is the only games I feel like I will miss are during the Mexican cruise. Not sure what kind of tv they have on the ship. I have a decent enough amount of data to stream a game or two, but not sure how well that works out of the country.

I'd ask what everyone's experiences are with tv on a cruise, but I doubt if any of you did much tv watching. How about streaming out of the country? I do have the mlb.tv app. Does it work for playoff games, or do I have to make another purchase?
0 x

Return to “Social”