The Travel Thread

biittner77
Superstar

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby biittner77 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:47 pm

There's a town in Virginia called Onancock
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:23 pm

BigbadB wrote:I really messed up with my October travel plans. We booked a Mexican cruise October 2-9. Then I'm in Vegas from October 11-17. Then I'm in Lake Tahoe from October 24-27. The good news is the only games I feel like I will miss are during the Mexican cruise. Not sure what kind of tv they have on the ship. I have a decent enough amount of data to stream a game or two, but not sure how well that works out of the country.

I'd ask what everyone's experiences are with tv on a cruise, but I doubt if any of you did much tv watching. How about streaming out of the country? I do have the mlb.tv app. Does it work for playoff games, or do I have to make another purchase?

I was on a cruise in May, when the NBA Finals were going on and they had them/I watched them all. They had every game on in their bars/sports lounge. You should be good, games are on Fox iirc. Off the top of my head they had the basic ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX stations and then a few other stations available, ESPN stations, TBS/TNT, Golf Channel, CNN/MSNBC/FOX News, from my experiences. If they are on FS1 you might be in trouble though, I don't remember them having that on their limited cable package.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:22 pm

I'm going on a cruise starting November 10th, so it will be a terrific way to unwind after the World Series and the election
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:34 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
BigbadB wrote:I really messed up with my October travel plans. We booked a Mexican cruise October 2-9. Then I'm in Vegas from October 11-17. Then I'm in Lake Tahoe from October 24-27. The good news is the only games I feel like I will miss are during the Mexican cruise. Not sure what kind of tv they have on the ship. I have a decent enough amount of data to stream a game or two, but not sure how well that works out of the country.

I'd ask what everyone's experiences are with tv on a cruise, but I doubt if any of you did much tv watching. How about streaming out of the country? I do have the mlb.tv app. Does it work for playoff games, or do I have to make another purchase?

I was on a cruise in May, when the NBA Finals were going on and they had them/I watched them all. They had every game on in their bars/sports lounge. You should be good, games are on Fox iirc. Off the top of my head they had the basic ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX stations and then a few other stations available, ESPN stations, TBS/TNT, Golf Channel, CNN/MSNBC/FOX News, from my experiences. If they are on FS1 you might be in trouble though, I don't remember them having that on their limited cable package.

That's good to know. Thanks for the info. I just realized I may not have nearly the data I normally would have, as the youngest just left for Europe today for the next 6 weeks. He's gonna gobble up a bunch of my damn GB's over there, I'm sure.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:35 pm

Derwood wrote:I'm going on a cruise starting November 10th, so it will be a terrific way to unwind after the World Series and the election

Depending on who gets elected, you may not be able to get back in. Be very afraid.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:52 pm

BigbadB wrote:
Derwood wrote:I'm going on a cruise starting November 10th, so it will be a terrific way to unwind after the World Series and the election

Depending on who gets elected, you may not be able to get back in. Be very afraid.

Depending on who gets elected, I may not want to come back
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:02 pm

Derwood wrote:
BigbadB wrote:

Depending on who gets elected, I may not want to come back

I'm trusting fivethirtyeight's polls. And I expect a pretty big slaughter on Monday night.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:54 pm

0 x

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:15 pm

She skipped the gate check? I'm glad she was dragged off the plane if she refused to leave.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:30 am

has anyone ever booked a vacation through Groupon Getaways before?
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Where's a good place to stay in Charleston SC? Not looking for a particular hotel necessarily (though that would be welcome) but I keep seeing that hotels are by the airport or in places like Mt. Pleasant or West Ashley which seem like they might be kind of far from/ hard to get to downtown.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:12 pm

biittner77 wrote:Where's a good place to stay in Charleston SC? Not looking for a particular hotel necessarily (though that would be welcome) but I keep seeing that hotels are by the airport or in places like Mt. Pleasant or West Ashley which seem like they might be kind of far from/ hard to get to downtown.

If you're looking to spend most of your time in downtown Charleston, just pony up and stay down there. While it's not a long drive time-wise to get there from Mt. Pleasant or West Ashley, it's still kind of a pain in the ass that you can't just walk everywhere. If you plan on also spending some time at the beaches, though, you could stay near those places or get a VRBO on the beach somewhere and drive into the city when you want.

Don't stay by the airport, it's quite crummy out there.

If you stay at the Marriott on the west side of downtown on the river, it could save you a lot of money compared to staying in the heart of downtown, but, again, it's a far walk/quick Uber to a lot of the touristy stuff on the east side of the downtown area.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:15 pm

apete6 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:Where's a good place to stay in Charleston SC? Not looking for a particular hotel necessarily (though that would be welcome) but I keep seeing that hotels are by the airport or in places like Mt. Pleasant or West Ashley which seem like they might be kind of far from/ hard to get to downtown.

If you're looking to spend most of your time in downtown Charleston, just pony up and stay down there. While it's not a long drive time-wise to get there from Mt. Pleasant or West Ashley, it's still kind of a pain in the ass that you can't just walk everywhere. If you plan on also spending some time at the beaches, though, you could stay near those places or get a VRBO on the beach somewhere and drive into the city when you want.

If you stay at the Marriott on the west side of downtown on the river, it could save you a lot of money compared to staying in the heart of downtown, but, again, it's a far walk/quick Uber to a lot of the touristy stuff on the east side of the downtown area.

Thanks, this is great. What about the Historic District as opposed to downtown?
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:37 pm

any of you been to Puerto Rico? I'm planning for next spring already
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:any of you been to Puerto Rico? I'm planning for next spring already

once, when the Bears traded for Cutler. don't remember a lot other than we scored some really cheap flights and hotel in middle of recession.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:06 pm

I travel for a living now as a Consultant and am loving the life. Really enjoyed Phoenix and San Diego --- may even move there someday.Orlando was an enjoyable experience too.

New Jersey? Not so much.

Going to Cancun for a buddy's Bachelor party in June, so looking forward to that. Never really been outside the country for vacation.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:56 pm

biittner77 wrote:
apete6 wrote:

They're basically one in the same. Most hotel websites call it the Historic District. South of Calhoun is preferred, but there are a few hotels along Meeting St. just north of Calhoun that would be OK as well.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:00 pm

Omar wrote:I travel for a living now as a Consultant and am loving the life. Really enjoyed Phoenix and San Diego --- may even move there someday.Orlando was an enjoyable experience too.

New Jersey? Not so much.

I can't imagine anybody who travels for work enjoying their trip to New Jersey, because all the corporate campuses are either in the middle of nowhere or the middle of garbage towns. If you get to Jersey City there's a bunch of great restaurants and the Hudson river provides great scenery, but the best part of Jersey is the shore and nobody goes there for business.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:52 am

Camden is quite lovely this time of year
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:10 am

apete6 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
apete6 wrote:

They're basically one in the same. Most hotel websites call it the Historic District. South of Calhoun is preferred, but there are a few hotels along Meeting St. just north of Calhoun that would be OK as well.

I'll second the idea of staying downtown. It's all very walkable, with tons of cafes and bars around it makes it convenient to stumble home. Folly Beach is a quick Lyft away if you want that. It's a really neat town.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:05 pm

NOLA wrote:
apete6 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

I'll second the idea of staying downtown. It's all very walkable, with tons of cafes and bars around it makes it convenient to stumble home. Folly Beach is a quick Lyft away if you want that. It's a really neat town.

Thanks! We were there about 10 years ago but didn't get to do much except Fort Sumter.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:33 pm

NOLA wrote:
apete6 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

This turned out to be really great advice. We walked everywhere and had a great time. Thanks again.
1 x

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:38 pm

biittner77 wrote:
NOLA wrote:
apete6 wrote:

This turned out to be really great advice. We walked everywhere and had a great time. Thanks again.

I should be thanking (cursing?) you! Wife and I are now headed to Charleston in May to celebrate our anniversary after this thread jogged my memory. I haven't been there is a handful of years. Any suggestions from your recent experience (food, things to do, etc) that I might be behind the times on?
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:24 pm

apete6 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
NOLA wrote:I'll second the idea of staying downtown. It's all very walkable, with tons of cafes and bars around it makes it convenient to stumble home. Folly Beach is a quick Lyft away if you want that. It's a really neat town.

I should be thanking (cursing?) you! Wife and I are now headed to Charleston in May to celebrate our anniversary after this thread jogged my memory. I haven't been there is a handful of years. Any suggestions from your recent experience (food, things to do, etc) that I might be behind the times on?

If you bike take your bikes and go on a bike tour of the antebellum homes.
1 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:55 pm

apete6 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
NOLA wrote:I'll second the idea of staying downtown. It's all very walkable, with tons of cafes and bars around it makes it convenient to stumble home. Folly Beach is a quick Lyft away if you want that. It's a really neat town.

We had kids with us so we stuck to kid friendly stuff like Patriot's Point, Ft. Sumter etc. The aquarium was pretty meh except that they have an albino alligator.

We wound up being able to do all of those things for free since we sat through one of those time share presentations. It wasn't an actual time share but a company that fancies itself the Sam's Club of vacations- wholesale prices for their members. For 90 minutes of our time we got about $280 worth of tickets. The place was called Vacation Inspirations or something like that. The reviews said it was a scam and we didn't buy but they came through with the tickets.
1 x

Return to “Social”