The Travel Thread

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby CubinNY » Fri May 04, 2018 1:38 am

We are heading to Sequoia and Yosemite for two weeks then down to San Diego for a conference. Is there anything that are must dos and don’t bothers at the parks? We have a 9 and 7 year old.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu May 24, 2018 4:45 am

The drive from Yosemite to LA is incredible. The San Joaquin Valley is one gigantic farm until Bakersfield. We are loving our trip so far. Yosemite was so beautiful but get up early before the grays get out and about.
0 x

SeldomSeen
Starter

Postby SeldomSeen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Getting married in September, then headed to Europe in October for the honeymoon. We are thinking Paris, so I'm looking for any pro tips from those who have been.

We are also open to other destinations, but we only have a week. Thoughts?
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:10 pm

SeldomSeen wrote:Getting married in September, then headed to Europe in October for the honeymoon. We are thinking Paris, so I'm looking for any pro tips from those who have been.

There are 3 months worth of things to do in Paris. I've been there twice, only for 2 days each time, and barely scratched the surface of everything I wanted to do. Are you looking for museums? Sight-seeing? Food?
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:42 pm

SeldomSeen wrote:Getting married in September, then headed to Europe in October for the honeymoon. We are thinking Paris, so I'm looking for any pro tips from those who have been.

I’ll post some baller Paris horsefeathers when I’m back home later this evening.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:59 pm

We went last summer and packed as much as we could into 6 days including a day trip to London. We bought the museum pass, which was a really good deal and got us into the Louvre among about 15-20 other places. Bring a couple comfortable pairs of walking shoes. I think we averaged walking about 9 miles a day while we were there. Try to stay inside the city "loop" for train purposes so it doesn't cost you a bunch extra to get around. We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Paris Arcueil (which is outside the "city" for train purposes) and ate breakfast on our way to the train pretty much every day at this little bakery just down the street called Aux Délices d'Arcueil that was terrific and had ridiculous offerings on the weekend.

Versailles was totally worth the trip. Notre Dame was really cool and the little underground museum out front was a good history lesson. We did a Seine River cruise on the first day that gave a good perspective on where everything was.
0 x
I like beer.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Walking is he way to go in Paris. You find a lot of cool stuff you would miss if you subway/taxi’d from place to place
0 x

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 am

Lots of stuff to do in Paris, depending on what you both like. I'd recommend doing the Seine river cruise late in the evening, btw.
Also, Paris is a hub for French and international high speed trains - Brussels is only 1h20mins away and London only 2h15mins so you could simply make a day trip :wink:
0 x
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:17 pm

CubinNY wrote:The drive from Yosemite to LA is incredible. The San Joaquin Valley is one gigantic farm until Bakersfield. We are loving our trip so far. Yosemite was so beautiful but get up early before the grays get out and about.

We were supposed to go last month but had to cancel when they closed the Valley due to wildfires. Hopefully in December.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
CubinNY wrote:The drive from Yosemite to LA is incredible. The San Joaquin Valley is one gigantic farm until Bakersfield. We are loving our trip so far. Yosemite was so beautiful but get up early before the grays get out and about.

We were supposed to go last month but had to cancel when they closed the Valley due to wildfires. Hopefully in December.

I drove from SF, Santa Cruz, Sequoia, Yosemite, Death Valley, and Las Vegas last year. I fell in love with upper Yosemite. Also saw Death Valley at 128 degrees. :eek:
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 pm

does any one here use ScottsCheapFlights.com?
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:33 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:does any one here use ScottsCheapFlights.com?

My wife subscribes to it, but we've yet to ever pop on anything from its newsletters
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:48 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:does any one here use ScottsCheapFlights.com?

My wife subscribes to it, but we've yet to ever pop on anything from its newsletters

I haven't either, but what I'm starting to realize is that the good deals are out of major hubs, like LAX or SF. Its been a bit disappointing.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:35 am

Bit of a longshot with this demographic, but what the hell...

2 weeks in New Zealand (with a couple days in Sydney) starting this weekend. Any tips or advice for the following:

Waiheke Island (2 days)
Queenstown (8 days)
Sydney (3 days)
Auckland (2 days)
Way too much horsefeathering time on airplanes (endless)

We've got lodging all worked out already, so a little late to set up some multi-day diversion...already have a three day hike set up during our time in Queenstown. But would love any expert tips.
0 x

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:24 am

squally1313 wrote:Bit of a longshot with this demographic, but what the hell...

2 weeks in New Zealand (with a couple days in Sydney) starting this weekend. Any tips or advice for the following:

Waiheke Island (2 days)
Queenstown (8 days)
Sydney (3 days)
Auckland (2 days)
Way too much horsefeathering time on airplanes (endless)

We've got lodging all worked out already, so a little late to set up some multi-day diversion...already have a three day hike set up during our time in Queenstown. But would love any expert tips.

What's the demographic? LOL

Been awhile but the thing I remember liking the best was Cave Diving I think it was called where you put on a wet suit and a cave light and went swimming in these caves. Many of the caves were were tiny and the roof of the cave was only a few inches above the water and you moved by pushing against the roof of the cave. I remember having to dive under the water to get into different caves. I was thinking about this the other day and thinking that some authority has to have made this illegal by now. With the passage of time it doesn't seem to have been all that safe. It was also just my buddy, myself and these 2 guides who , like us were in their early 20's and I feel if things had gone south it wouldn't have been too difficult to erase all evidence of our existence and for them to head back into town like nothing happened. Another part of that outing was pretty cool too - it was kind of like a naturally occurring slip and slide. There was this rocky slope near these caves which were just in the middle of the bush and water was coming out of the ground and pouring down this slope, not deep enough to he a river or anything - or maybe it was a river further on down past the slope - but you got on these plastic sheets and tobogganed down this slope. Good times. I think this was Queenstown but horsefeathers as I'm typing it may have been Christchurch. Walking on the glacier in Queenstown was also really cool - if its still there. That was worth it. Queenstown was full of bungie jumping, hang gliding , rocket boats and all that kind of stuff as well if that interests you.

It's really the scenery that steals the show. I was there in their spring and everywhere you looked there were waterfalls cascading down mountains. It really is a trip worth taking if you are able.
1 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

Thurman Merman
Starter

Postby Thurman Merman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 am

If truffle sees this, I'm sure he will have plenty of advice for you.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:16 pm

go to australia and bring back some steaks

2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 pm

Hey you socal people. I'm thinking of going to the LA area this spring with the kiddos. Haven't spent any significant time there in many years. Kind of interested in throwing in a day or two at a national park (if they exist). Any tips? Must do? Do nots?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Hey you socal people. I'm thinking of going to the LA area this spring with the kiddos. Haven't spent any significant time there in many years. Kind of interested in throwing in a day or two at a national park (if they exist). Any tips? Must do? Do nots?

Joshua Tree and Sequoia/Kings Canyon/ Yosemite all worth it
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:50 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Hey you socal people. I'm thinking of going to the LA area this spring with the kiddos. Haven't spent any significant time there in many years. Kind of interested in throwing in a day or two at a national park (if they exist). Any tips? Must do? Do nots?

Keep an eye on the government shutdown. I believe Yosemite closed a few days ago due to lack of funding and a few other national parks followed suit. I know you mentioned going in the spring but with orange [expletive] in charge...
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 pm

cl smooth wrote:

Keep an eye on the government shutdown. I believe Yosemite closed a few days ago due to lack of funding and a few other national parks followed suit. I know you mentioned going in the spring but with orange [expletive] in charge...

Yep. I have a NoCal trip planned for April, and Yosemite is tentatively the big thing we want to do, but it may turn into a wine country excursion.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:49 pm

I recommend a trip over to Catalina Island with the parks being iffy. Of course, there's Disneyland and Universal Studios and the like. The drive along the coast starting north at Santa Barbara is pretty awesome. The beaches can still be fun for a kid even if it's too cold to go in the water this time of year. They usually aren't too packed and there's tide pools and sea lions/seals catching some rays on the rocks.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:51 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

Yep. I have a NoCal trip planned for April, and Yosemite is tentatively the big thing we want to do, but it may turn into a wine country excursion.

We rented a cabin up near King's Canyon and then used that as our home base to find good hiking trails here and there. Plenty to see.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm

BigbadB wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

We rented a cabin up near King's Canyon and then used that as our home base to find good hiking trails here and there. Plenty to see.

Which entrance is that by? We tentatively want to find something near the giant sequoias. We will have a 6 month old and will put him in the hiking pack for the trails but definitely want to limit the long drives site to site.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
BigbadB wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Yep. I have a NoCal trip planned for April, and Yosemite is tentatively the big thing we want to do, but it may turn into a wine country excursion.

Which entrance is that by? We tentatively want to find something near the giant sequoias. We will have a 6 month old and will put him in the hiking pack for the trails but definitely want to limit the long drives site to site.

My mistake. King's Canyon is by Sequoia National Park. I don't know why I'm always confusing Sequoia and Yosemite. Those two parks are nearly 3 hours apart. Frankly, I know very little about Yosemite. Hopefully someone else can help you out with Yosemite.
0 x

Return to “Social”