The Travel Thread

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri May 13, 2016 1:44 pm

NOLA wrote: There are lots of dumb touristy things to avoid (taking a kid down Bourbon Street at night?!? Really?) and good stuff to do.

WHYWHYWHYWHYWHY?

why do people do this? I wouldn't take my kids down bourbon at daytime, let alone at night.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri May 13, 2016 1:53 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote: There are lots of dumb touristy things to avoid (taking a kid down Bourbon Street at night?!? Really?) and good stuff to do.

WHYWHYWHYWHYWHY?

why do people do this? I wouldn't take my kids down bourbon at daytime, let alone at night.

It happens all the time, and no, no time is good for a child to see Bourbon. I think people sometimes get a Disney perception of everywhere, like on Bourbon they'll see costumed hobos and hookers break out into choreographed song and dance. It's a total cesspool of humanity. I've had tourists ask me what time the French Quarter closed, like it's an amusement park.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri May 13, 2016 1:55 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I'm kicking around the idea of a mid-July week out with my kids (16 and 14), and I want to do an enjoy the experience rather than just the destination road trip kind of thing. I'd like to keep it to within about 1000 miles one way. I want to go somewhere none of us have been so I'm considering places like New Orleans or Denver/Rocky Mountains. Any ideas? Or recommendations on what to do if I did end up on the road to NOLA for example?

You're in iowa already, you gotta go up into the rockies via denver. All those ski resorts have some awesome summer options. Driving through Nebraska is a horrible thing to do to yourself, but the rockies are worth it. If you want to avoid that part and enjoy the journey you can make it more interesting by taking the long route through south dakota and wyoming. But summertime in the rockies is pretty amazing.

I have an uncle that spent his summers in Estes Park when he was in college and 30 years later still won't shut up about it.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:24 pm

NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

WHYWHYWHYWHYWHY?

It happens all the time, and no, no time is good for a child to see Bourbon. I think people sometimes get a Disney perception of everywhere, like on Bourbon they'll see costumed hobos and hookers break out into choreographed song and dance. It's a total cesspool of humanity. I've had tourists ask me what time the French Quarter closed, like it's an amusement park.

We went to Mardi Gras and there was a family near us waiting for the parade to start. One of the guys with me on that trip starting puking in a trash can. So I guess if you want your kids to see their first drunk person there's that.

There's also the added element of kids being bored to death since there is nothing of interest for them on Bourbon Street.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Fri May 13, 2016 3:26 pm

biittner77 wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:my girlfriend has a conference in seattle in july and i'm going for a few days (first time to visit the city). what do i need to do while i'm there? her conference is at the convention center and i'm not sure where she's booked to stay, but probably the sheraton (which is the conference hotel).

MONORAIL!

But seriously, once you're done singing the monorail song, it takes you to Space Needle and the EMP Museum (very cool way to spend a couple hours) plus a couple other places that are close together. We were out there 5 years ago and the ticket to Space Needle allows you to go back at night which is pretty cool and less crowded.

Yeah I don't get the monorail appeal. It's a nice option if it's cold or really rainy and you want to get from the Seattle Center (EMP, which is awesome if you're a music nut, but also expensive, the space needle, key arena) back to downtown. My son thought it was awesome when we first moved here of course, he was 6.

Truffle - you're a hiker, right? I'm sure I posted this in the prior version of this thread, but rent a car, drive 30 minutes in any direction, and start hiking. Seriously, google some trails to check out (wta.org is the trails association site). there's stuff for every level. My wife loves rattlesnake ledge in north bend for obvious reasons (pic below) but I don't want to die any sooner than i have to, so I've never been and never will.

In the city, it depends on what you're into and if you'll have a car or how far you want to travel. It's a small walkable city core but going east/west sucks b/c it's steep as horsefeathers. Sheraton is in a good location. Good food options nearby. Great small music venues, so see who's in town, or just walk up to the Crocodile or the Showbox, both of which are an easy walk from the hotel corridor, and see a show (the Paramount is right across from the convention center and is awesome, but isn't a "walk up $10 ticket see a small band" kinda place). The back bar at the Crocodile is actually a decent place to grab pizza and a drink when it's not a sold out show.

Everyone who comes here loves the Market and it's worth seeing. People from Seattle actually go there (not on weekends) b/c it has great food and shops. Also has my favorite view of Mt Rainier over Elliot Bay and the stadiums. Some great bars down in that area like Zig Zag, Bookstore Bar, White Horse Trading Co, and the Alibi Room. Pink Door is among my favorite restaurants in Seattle and if you can snag a seat on the patio in the summer, it'll be hard to pry yourself away. (It's just a pink door in post alley in the market.)

Pioneer Square, which is south of downtown and the historic/old Seattle, is cool. Artsy stuff, more great food, shops, etc. I found the underground tour to actually be kinda cool but I like history and Seattle's is unique. Underground is literal - most of the tour is actually underground. The late night/adults only tour is probably better, though it's not like there's free bjs or anything. They're just less subtle about some of the stuff that used to go on (crime and hookers).

Capitol Hill is more of the same only more artsy and hipster than PS. I find it overly crowded and not worth the effort. It's where all the new hires at Amazon, Google, Apple, Facebook engineers immediately move.

Helpful? Let me know if you have specific questions about stuff or want certain recommendations.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri May 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Yes Truffle, go to Mount Rainier, drive up to Paradise, and hike up from there. July is perfect time for some insane views.

In the city, you're only a few blocks from Pike Place market, which is iconic and neat to kill an hour walking around or eating lunch. If you trek over to the Space Needle, that was a better experience than I thought having gone last weekend for the first time(unlike say, the Sears Tower, there's interesting views in every direction). The EMP Museum is cool and right next to the Needle, but also next door is the Chihuly Glass museum which I like better. Both are a bit of a pricey way to spend 60-90 minutes, but cool stuff nonetheless.

EDIT: If you find yourself going towards Safeco/CenturyLink, the Pinball museum in the International District is a lot of fun. ~$15 to play dozens of different pinball machines(some 50+ years old) as much as you want: http://www.seattlepinballmuseum.com/
0 x

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Fri May 13, 2016 6:28 pm

pinball museum is a great call.
0 x

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri May 13, 2016 9:30 pm

Murton's Revenge wrote:Yeah I don't get the monorail appeal. It's a nice option if it's cold or really rainy and you want to get from the Seattle Center (EMP, which is awesome if you're a music nut, but also expensive, the space needle, key arena) back to downtown. My son thought it was awesome when we first moved here of course, he was 6.

Truffle - you're a hiker, right? I'm sure I posted this in the prior version of this thread, but rent a car, drive 30 minutes in any direction, and start hiking. Seriously, google some trails to check out (wta.org is the trails association site). there's stuff for every level. My wife loves rattlesnake ledge in north bend for obvious reasons (pic below) but I don't want to die any sooner than i have to, so I've never been and never will.

yeah i like to hike; don't do so much of it here because there aren't really mountains around here. i definitely want to do at least one day of outdoors stuff while steph's at her conference (it's a conference on head and neck cancer surgery, so i'll be giving it a miss) so i'll be sure to check out the trails info.

i'll definitely check out a couple of those bars and restaurants as well. local knowledge is always the best info. thanks mate.
0 x
Fred Hornkohl wrote:Go CUBS !!

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat May 14, 2016 6:01 am

I'd second the Chihuly Glass. My wife *really* loved that place. We also liked the NOAA Soundgarden which might be up Truffle's alley, though that's probably a drive for you from the Sheraton. It's in Warren G. Magnuson Park off Lake Washington.

I really wanted to do stuff around Rainier but we didn't have time and it seemed a bit early in the year to check out the trails.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sat May 14, 2016 2:33 pm

Hiking a few of the many great trails, Kneehigh Stocking Co. (Speakeasy type bar), the Pink Door (restaurant near Pike), SafeCo, ferry to Bainbridge Island and breakfast there (can't remember the restaurant name but we were able to walk from the ferry- can't imagine theres too many) were the highlights of my trip from last July.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Sat May 14, 2016 2:38 pm

I'm doing an east coast trip this July. Probably going to Charlotte, Charleston, then flying to NYC and driving around in the NE (Connecticut, Boston, New Hampshire, and ending in Vermont). Been to Charleston and Boston before. I have a list of breweries to stop at in CT, VT, and Boston. I know this is covering a large area but any must-dos?
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon May 23, 2016 5:32 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
Murton's Revenge wrote:Yeah I don't get the monorail appeal. It's a nice option if it's cold or really rainy and you want to get from the Seattle Center (EMP, which is awesome if you're a music nut, but also expensive, the space needle, key arena) back to downtown. My son thought it was awesome when we first moved here of course, he was 6.

yeah i like to hike; don't do so much of it here because there aren't really mountains around here. i definitely want to do at least one day of outdoors stuff while steph's at her conference (it's a conference on head and neck cancer surgery, so i'll be giving it a miss) so i'll be sure to check out the trails info.

i'll definitely check out a couple of those bars and restaurants as well. local knowledge is always the best info. thanks mate.

Mt. Rainier was my favorite part of our trip to Seattle. If you rent a car, make sure you don't rent one at the airport as there's a 40% car rental tax at SeaTac, or at least there was 5 years ago.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue May 24, 2016 1:34 am

biittner77 wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:

Mt. Rainier was my favorite part of our trip to Seattle. If you rent a car, make sure you don't rent one at the airport as there's a 40% car rental tax at SeaTac, or at least there was 5 years ago.

thanks for this. i'm going to seattle from july 1-july 5 and on the 5th we're renting a car and driving up to vancouver for a few days. rental cars are looking like its going to cost quite a bit but i'll look elsewhere for a pickup place.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue May 24, 2016 4:07 am

It looks like it's 11% plus $6/day to rent from Seatac. There's a Hertz and an Enterprise not too far from the airport outside of the consolidated rental car center, so those two might be your best options. I just plugged in 7/1 to 7/5 for Enterprise for Seatac and Burien (the one close by) and the difference was more than $100.
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 am

biittner77 wrote:Mt. Rainier was my favorite part of our trip to Seattle. If you rent a car, make sure you don't rent one at the airport as there's a 40% car rental tax at SeaTac, or at least there was 5 years ago.

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:It looks like it's 11% plus $6/day to rent from Seatac. There's a Hertz and an Enterprise not too far from the airport outside of the consolidated rental car center, so those two might be your best options. I just plugged in 7/1 to 7/5 for Enterprise for Seatac and Burien (the one close by) and the difference was more than $100.

butters, this message board just saved you more than $100. please send $33 each to biittner (for the initial suggestion), tt (for running the numbers), and me (finder's fee for biittner and tt). the remainder is yours to enjoy as you see fit.
2 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 24, 2016 5:17 am

treebird wrote:
biittner77 wrote:Mt. Rainier was my favorite part of our trip to Seattle. If you rent a car, make sure you don't rent one at the airport as there's a 40% car rental tax at SeaTac, or at least there was 5 years ago.

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:It looks like it's 11% plus $6/day to rent from Seatac. There's a Hertz and an Enterprise not too far from the airport outside of the consolidated rental car center, so those two might be your best options. I just plugged in 7/1 to 7/5 for Enterprise for Seatac and Burien (the one close by) and the difference was more than $100.

butters, this message board just saved you more than $100. please send $33 each to biittner (for the initial suggestion), tt (for running the numbers), and me (finder's fee for biittner and tt). the remainder is yours to enjoy as you see fit.

$1 donation to NSB.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 24, 2016 12:39 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
treebird wrote:

$1 donation to NSB.

Is that enough to buy the other B back? I miss it.
1 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue May 24, 2016 5:12 pm

treebird wrote:

i actually need the car from 7/6-7/8 and both locations stated that there are no available vehicles for those days so i think all of you should pay me $100 each instead.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue May 24, 2016 5:26 pm

The issue I'm running into is the drop-off in Vancouver. Prices for those days with a return in Seattle is $200 total, while it's over $200/day for the one way trip. yuck.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue May 24, 2016 5:37 pm

Oh yeah, they kill you when you return to a different airport, just went through that myself since my wife is renting from STL and dropping off in KC.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue May 24, 2016 6:46 pm

I use rental cars all the time. I never pay for them. I am no help to you.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue May 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I use rental cars all the time. I never pay for them. I am no help to you.

sounds like you are. give me your magic powers.
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Tue May 24, 2016 10:45 pm

Butterscup wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I use rental cars all the time. I never pay for them. I am no help to you.

sounds like you are. give me your magic powers corporate card.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed May 25, 2016 2:19 am

seanimal wrote:
Butterscup wrote:

sounds like you are. give me your magic powers corporate card.

yup
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Wed May 25, 2016 12:57 pm

The problem with going to Rainier on a quick trip to Seattle is you run the risk of seeing absolutely nothing but clouds.

Also, in Seattle, or anywhere they have a store, I recommend Sixt rental cars. Get yourself a ballin ass import for the same price as a horsefeathers Chevy Spark or whatever from other agencies.
0 x

Return to “Social”