The Travel Thread

biittner77
Superstar

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby biittner77 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:03 pm

wolf stansson wrote:The problem with going to Rainier on a quick trip to Seattle is you run the risk of seeing absolutely nothing but clouds.

Also, in Seattle, or anywhere they have a store, I recommend Sixt rental cars. Get yourself a ballin ass import for the same price as a [expletive] Chevy Spark or whatever from other agencies.

You could also see snow and flowers 3 feet away from each other.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 pm

And the chances of seeing a cloud in Seattle after July 4 aren't high
0 x

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Wed May 25, 2016 8:32 pm

Oh and the Orlando airport sucks
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Wed May 25, 2016 8:52 pm

everything in orlando sucks
2 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Wed May 25, 2016 9:01 pm

Murton's Revenge wrote:And the chances of seeing a cloud in Seattle after July 4 aren't high

I was there for a week in late July once and saw Rainier exactly 0 times. I'm just sayin, check the forecast before you rent the car if a view is your only priority. There's plenty to see without it.
0 x

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Thu May 26, 2016 3:09 pm

wolf stansson wrote:
Murton's Revenge wrote:And the chances of seeing a cloud in Seattle after July 4 aren't high

I was there for a week in late July once and saw Rainier exactly 0 times. I'm just sayin, check the forecast before you rent the car if a view is your only priority. There's plenty to see without it.

maybe it just doesn't like cards fans wolfie.
0 x

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Thu May 26, 2016 6:40 pm

Murton's Revenge wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:

maybe it just doesn't like cards fans wolfie.

WHAT ABOUT SOUNDERS FANS THO
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Oh yeah, they kill you when you return to a different airport, just went through that myself since my wife is renting from STL and dropping off in KC.

Amtrak is really convenient and quite reliable between STL and KC and is only like $29 each way if that's an option.
0 x
I like beer.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 26, 2016 9:49 pm

mul21 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Oh yeah, they kill you when you return to a different airport, just went through that myself since my wife is renting from STL and dropping off in KC.

Amtrak is really convenient and quite reliable between STL and KC and is only like $29 each way if that's an option.

Definitely, we used it a ton for KC to Chicago trips when we lived there. I pushed for it, but timing didn't work this time.
0 x

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Thu May 26, 2016 10:48 pm

mul21 wrote:

Is Amtrak an option butters? I've heard good things about people using the train to get between portland, seattle, and vancouver
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 26, 2016 11:02 pm

There's also this: https://www.boltbus.com/

That's the Pacific NW equivalent of Megabus, if that is a more familiar name.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Thu May 26, 2016 11:50 pm

Murton's Revenge wrote:
mul21 wrote:

Is Amtrak an option butters? I've heard good things about people using the train to get between portland, seattle, and vancouver

ive looked into it and it might be the way to go. would've been nice to have a car and be able to make some stops on the way to vancouver and then use it in vancouver a few days, but if it's going to be $700 i'd rather not deal with it.
0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Thu May 26, 2016 11:51 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:There's also this: https://www.boltbus.com/

That's the Pacific NW equivalent of Megabus, if that is a more familiar name.

excellent, thank you sir!
0 x

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri May 27, 2016 2:17 am

tt talking about taking the bus got me like

0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:07 pm

GF and I are likely headed to San Diego over the 4th of July weekend, likely 7/1-7/6. I need recommendations on where to stay (it'll be at a Marriott property since I have a ton of points to use), food, beer, and cool stuff to do/see. My list includes hitting Firestone Walker and Ballast Point, but if there are other must see places, let me know.
0 x
I like beer.

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:12 pm

mul21 wrote:GF and I are likely headed to San Diego over the 4th of July weekend, likely 7/1-7/6. I need recommendations on where to stay (it'll be at a Marriott property since I have a ton of points to use), food, beer, and cool stuff to do/see. My list includes hitting Firestone Walker and Ballast Point, but if there are other must see places, let me know.

Alpine
0 x

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Want to do an all-inclusive right around New Year's with the wife. In the next 6 months, we are moving, building a house, and at least one of us is switching jobs. We want to have 5 days of doing nothing but drinking/swimming/spa. Not our usual "go, go, go" vacation, but we'll need it.

Thinking Cancun/Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen area, but could be convinced elsewhere if it's relatively cheap airfare from Chicago like Cancun is. Any suggestions? We have done the Paradisius Esmerelda La Perla previously and loved it, but want to try somewhere different. Any other suggestions? Price isn't really an issue as most of the places are pretty similarly priced.
0 x

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:20 pm

apete6 wrote:Want to do an all-inclusive right around New Year's with the wife. In the next 6 months, we are moving, building a house, and at least one of us is switching jobs. We want to have 5 days of doing nothing but drinking/swimming/spa. Not our usual "go, go, go" vacation, but we'll need it.

Thinking Cancun/Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen area, but could be convinced elsewhere if it's relatively cheap airfare from Chicago like Cancun is. Any suggestions? We have done the Paradisius Esmerelda La Perla previously and loved it, but want to try somewhere different. Any other suggestions? Price isn't really an issue as most of the places are pretty similarly priced.

Have you looked at flying out of Rockford. They usually have really cheap flights to places like that.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:32 pm

apete6 wrote:Want to do an all-inclusive right around New Year's with the wife. In the next 6 months, we are moving, building a house, and at least one of us is switching jobs. We want to have 5 days of doing nothing but drinking/swimming/spa. Not our usual "go, go, go" vacation, but we'll need it.

Cabo, but not in town. Perfect quiet relaxation
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Isla Mujeres. Going there for the July 4th holiday. This will be our second visit there in 6 months. We went there for the second leg of our Mexico vacation during Christmas and New Years (first leg was in Holbox; beautiful but too many mosquitos for my liking).

Tulum is awesome, but there's been massive seaweed issues over the last 2 years or so.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:31 pm

cl smooth wrote:

Isla Mujeres. Going there for the July 4th holiday. This will be our second visit there in 6 months. We went there for the second leg of our Mexico vacation during Christmas and New Years (first leg was in Holbox; beautiful but too many mosquitos for my liking).

Tulum is awesome, but there's been massive seaweed issues over the last 2 years or so.

Second that on Isla Mujeres. Great for the all-inclusive thing.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:49 pm

My only advice for an all inclusive trip like that is to pick an adults only resort. That was one of my big criteria. Picked a spot from Southwest Travel and it was awesome. Just went in April.

Eta we did Puerta Vallarta. SW does direct to Punta Cana, which would have been nice as we had to layover. We looked there but didn't work out.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:08 pm

mul21 wrote:GF and I are likely headed to San Diego over the 4th of July weekend, likely 7/1-7/6. I need recommendations on where to stay (it'll be at a Marriott property since I have a ton of points to use), food, beer, and cool stuff to do/see. My list includes hitting Firestone Walker and Ballast Point, but if there are other must see places, let me know.

It looks like there are two Marriotts in Downtown (Gaslamp and Marina). Those are your probably your best bets.

Firestone Walker is in Paso Robles, about halfway between LA and San Francisco. I'm guessing you meant Stone, which is in suburban San Diego. Stone also has a taproom Downtown if you can't get out to Escondido. I've never been to any other San Diego breweries but there are a few options like the already-mentioned Alpine, plus Alesmith, Green Flash, Karl Strauss, Coronado and Lost Abbey.

What type of stuff do you want to see/do? I assume you're not interested in the more kid-oriented stuff like Sea World. Balboa Park is fun with a lot of great museums. My favorite beaches are La Jolla Cove and Sunset Cliffs.

Lolita's has the best fast food California burrito. The Mission for breakfast. La Piñata (Old Town) or La Puerta Mexican (Gaslamp) for sit-down Mexican food. Extraordinary Desserts for, well, desserts. Oh, and In-N-Out.

(I'm vegetarian so most of those food recommendations are from my wife and friends who do eat meat.)
0 x

Tracer Bullet
fka mariners revenge

Postby Tracer Bullet » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:16 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

It looks like there are two Marriotts in Downtown (Gaslamp and Marina). Those are your probably your best bets.

Firestone Walker is in Paso Robles, about halfway between LA and San Francisco. I'm guessing you meant Stone, which is in suburban San Diego. Stone also has a taproom Downtown if you can't get out to Escondido. I've never been to any other San Diego breweries but there are a few options like the already-mentioned Alpine, plus Alesmith, Green Flash, Karl Strauss, Coronado and Lost Abbey.

What type of stuff do you want to see/do? I assume you're not interested in the more kid-oriented stuff like Sea World. Balboa Park is fun with a lot of great museums. My favorite beaches are La Jolla Cove and Sunset Cliffs.

Lolita's has the best fast food California burrito. The Mission for breakfast. La Piñata (Old Town) or La Puerta Mexican (Gaslamp) for sit-down Mexican food. Extraordinary Desserts for, well, desserts. Oh, and In-N-Out.

(I'm vegetarian so most of those food recommendations are from my wife and friends who do eat meat.)

I'd just pick a hotel in gaslamp and stay there. really cool area. coronado was great too. great way to kill an afternoon and evening.

i didn't find the food in SD to be remarkable. lots of fine places but nothing really stood out. There was a bar with a bunch of whiskeys that may have just been called "whiskey bar" or something. that was cool.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Murton's Revenge wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I'd just pick a hotel in gaslamp and stay there. really cool area. coronado was great too. great way to kill an afternoon and evening.

i didn't find the food in SD to be remarkable. lots of fine places but nothing really stood out. There was a bar with a bunch of whiskeys that may have just been called "whiskey bar" or something. that was cool.

The Whiskey House?
0 x

Return to “Social”