Guess what an idiot with a plane did this time...

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Guess what an idiot with a plane did this time...

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:29 pm

TIM'S NEW FAVORITE THREAD.

https://gizmodo.com/airline-passengers- ... 1829220218

Passengers on Jet Airways Flight 697 from Mumbai to Jaipur, India, recently had a terrifying experience after the flight crew forgot to pressurize the cabin. Dozens of passengers on the flight yesterday started bleeding from their ears and nose in a complete panic as they were gasping for air.

But if you take an airplane to 30,000 feet without pressurizing the cabin, really bad things start to happen—like not being able to breathe, and bleeding from the ears and nose.

As the New York Times reports, that’s exactly the horror that erupted shortly after take-off yesterday as the Jet Airways flight ascended to a cruising altitude. Passengers started to panic when they couldn’t breathe, and “dozens” of the 166 on board started bleeding from orifices in their heads.

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Guess what an idiot with a plane did this time...

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 pm

Maybe this is the flight David ignored my thread for. Maybe not. But it's a new, far more terrifying angle if it is!

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:25 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:07 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:28 pm

https://jalopnik.com/british-airways-fl ... 1833545219

Once you’re on a plane, your fate is in the hands of the pilot. You’re going where they want to go. Unfortunately, the pilot of a recent British Airways flight from London to Düsseldorf, Germany, ended up in Scotland, 525 miles away from a whole plane full of people’s intended destination, all thanks to some shoddy paperwork.

The BBC reports passengers only realized the error when the clueless pilot announced to their confused passengers, “Welcome to Edinburgh.” The passengers thought it was a joke until the airline stewards asked by a show of hands who was expecting to go to Düsseldorf that day.

Every passenger raised their hand.
2 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat May 04, 2019 12:51 pm

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun May 05, 2019 6:02 pm

0 x

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Sun May 05, 2019 8:23 pm

0 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 am

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri May 17, 2019 2:19 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:

that is a shockingly small amount of damage

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 26, 2019 12:05 am

Anyone else take Xanax or Xanax-like medications to help them fly?

I horsefeathering HATE flying; slowly developed a mounting irrational anxiety/fear of flying between my mid-20's and mid-30's (not sure why), and it finally culminated to the point that I haven't flown now in almost a decade because I was essentially having minor panic attacks even just in days BEFORE I flew.

But I need to start flying again; I go between DC and Chicago too much these days to stick to driving, and I have close family living overseas now. Plus I figure my streak of not having any type of wedding or funeral that I could drive or train to isn't gonna last, so I have tickets bought to fly back to Chicago a week from this coming Thursday.

Went to my doctor and he prescribed me a 30-count of 0.5MG Xanax. He suggests only taking one the first time, but I'm thinking I'll need 2 (I weigh 190). Anyone else take anything like this to fly? How soon do you take it before the flight or getting on the plane? Does it make you tired? Does it wear off pretty fast?
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun May 26, 2019 12:20 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Anyone else take Xanax or Xanax-like medications to help them fly?

I horsefeathering HATE flying; slowly developed a mounting irrational anxiety/fear of flying between my mid-20's and mid-30's (not sure why), and it finally culminated to the point that I haven't flown now in almost a decade because I was essentially having minor panic attacks even just in days BEFORE I flew.

But I need to start flying again; I go between DC and Chicago too much these days to stick to driving, and I have close family living overseas now. Plus I figure my streak of not having any type of wedding or funeral that I could drive or train to isn't gonna last, so I have tickets bought to fly back to Chicago a week from this coming Thursday.

Went to my doctor and he prescribed me a 30-count of 0.5MG Xanax. He suggests only taking one the first time, but I'm thinking I'll need 2 (I weigh 190). Anyone else take anything like this to fly? How soon do you take it before the flight or getting on the plane? Does it make you tired? Does it wear off pretty fast?

Xanax takes anywhere from 10-30 minutes to take effect. If you take it with food it will be on the long end of 20 minutes. At that dose you’ll mostly feel drowsy and calm. I would not take two at one time. Take one before you board, take another one if you feel you need it while you’re in the air.
1 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 26, 2019 12:24 am

I developed a similar fear at about the same time in my life. Beer or whiskey was my cure until I realized neither did anything for me. The biggest thing that helped me get past the fear was looking around me and thinking to myself “no pilot, no copilot, and no stewardess wants to die in an aluminum tube from 30000’ in the air”. It might sound odd, but just reassuring myself that since the crew is doing everything they could to survive our flight meant they were doing everything the could to help me survive, and I kept flying. I don’t get crazy sick before flight days anymore, and I handle even the bumpiest rides ok. Granted Im never fully happy about the experience, i do get through it.

Good luck, sometimes i wonder if xanax would have been easier for me.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 26, 2019 12:28 am

Yeah, I've tried all of the ways to convince myself I'm OK up there. Like, I KNOW the stats and how safe it is; it's definitely a totally irrational fear that just has me freaking out over every little noise or movement of the plane I can feel. The thing is just gently banking to the left, and in my head we are, of course, spiraling out of control and breaking up in mid-air.

And it's weird, because I lived overseas a ton growing up, so I have flown hundreds of times, yet this only hit in my 20's.

I'm really hoping the Xanax works. Thanks for the heads up, CubinNY; I won't have eaten for 2-3 hours by the time I board, so I should be good. I'll just keep a spare on me just in case. I'm hoping since it's a late evening flight after a workday that I actually fall asleep.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 26, 2019 12:30 am

Also, seriously, get a yogi. Breathing exercises are wonderful
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 26, 2019 12:31 am

Good luck buddy
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun May 26, 2019 12:52 am

I fly all over all the time. Would Xanax help me tolerate the horsefeathers that never fly?
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 26, 2019 1:01 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:I fly all over all the time........?

Thats because you live in iowa and there is nothing worthwhile within driving distance from you.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun May 26, 2019 1:16 am

See, I hate driving. We drove 12 hours to the beach every summer for 5 or 6 years in a row, but have changed the last few to flying vacations, which I FAR prefer. I'll take the headaches of airports to get somewhere in 2 hours vs. 15 hours
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 26, 2019 1:21 am

Sure, but this isn't really about simply thinking flying is less pleasant than driving; it's not like people who are afraid of flying prefer having to take much more time and inconvenience to get to their destination.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:22 am

Its embarrassing but I have terrible motion sickness, which heightens with anxiety. I have to take Dramamine. So I was on a flight recently and I knocked out for like 2 hours, I woke up right when we began our descent, on the verge of puking. Immediately I went into a panic, and to make matters worse, there were no barf bags in the seatback pocket. So I jumped over the lady in the aisle seat and scampered toward the bathroom. One of the attendants gave me a huge plastic bag to puke in and was handing me cold towels to cool me down. I ended up sitting on the toilet with my face in my palms sweating bullets as we landed. I ended up opting for them to wheel me out of there on a wheelchair. I was so embarrassed but there's only so much I can do to control it. I should've taken another dose of Dramamine but I fell asleep without doing so.

Such a horrible feeling on take-off and the descent. Every single time I have to blast the A/C on my face to slightly cool down.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun May 26, 2019 1:27 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Its embarrassing but I have terrible motion sickness, which heightens with anxiety. I have to take Dramamine. So I was on a flight recently and I knocked out for like 2 hours, I woke up right when we began our descent, on the verge of puking. Immediately I went into a panic, and to make matters worse, there were no barf bags in the seatback pocket. So I jumped over the lady in the aisle seat and scampered toward the bathroom. One of the attendants gave me a huge plastic bag to puke in and was handing me cold towels to cool me down. I ended up sitting on the toilet with my face in my palms sweating bullets as we landed. I ended up opting for them to wheel me out of there on a wheelchair. I was so embarrassed but there's only so much I can do to control it. I should've taken another dose of Dramamine but I fell asleep without doing so.

Such a horrible feeling on take-off and the descent. Every single time I have to blast the A/C on my face to slightly cool down.

Ugh; sorry you have to deal with that. Landing and taking off make me feel like I'm going to lose it on the best of days; I can't imagine dealing with having to barf on top of that.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sun May 26, 2019 1:53 am

Ive only had air sickness once from a fight from Chicago to Dallas. I cant imagine it being a regular thing. Sry dude
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun May 26, 2019 2:12 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Anyone else take Xanax or Xanax-like medications to help them fly?

I still don't drive to or from the airport and I try to fly out to customers the day before I have to meet with them. It's rare these days, but I used to get hit with major anxiety to where I'd have to get pretty well drunk to get on a plane. It's a lot more rare these days, but it still hits me once in a while. Hell, it's been 14 years and I still don't think I've slept on an airplane since then.

In short, I feel your pain. I hope you find something that works for you.
2 x
Spoiler: show

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 30, 2019 4:58 pm

I horsefeathering HATE flying;
But I need to start flying again;

I love that the guy who started this thread added this note a little further down.

Anyway, this plane eventually went in the ocean yesterday a few miles from where we spend our summer weekends.

1 x

Return to “Social”