Is there a sports cards discussion?

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Is there a sports cards discussion?

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:14 am

There is now!

After a few years out, I just got back into the hobby myself. Sold a lot of my cards years ago, though I held onto some. Now I've been going to flea markets and the couple local stores that are still open. Also, lots of ebay browsing.

Anyone else into it? Any good finds? Cool collections?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Is there a sports cards discussion?

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:46 pm

Someday I'm going to pay for college with the metric ton of late 80's and early 90's cards I have somewhere at my parents' house! Surely they've done nothing but explode in value, right?
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:19 pm

I got back into it around 2007-2008 but eventually realized it's basically gambling now. The cards I have left were the ones that I thought "Yeah, these are the ones that are going to be worth something 10 year from now!" and it's all players who were awesome back then who crapped out and are worthless now. Meanwhile, I traded away REALLY good cards. Had a Topps Triple Threads Ty Cobb card that had pieces of a game used bat in it. Traded it away. Had two Pujols Topps RC. Basic ones, but they were still $50 a piece. Traded them both away. But what player did I collect that I knew was going to be the next big thing? Francico Liriano. Boy do I have a lot lf Francisco Liriano cards. Also, the most exp[ensive card I had when I stopped was a 2006 SPx Prince Fielder Autographed RC. It was $120 when I got it. Paid for it because I was collectin the autographed RC set. His card is now worth $40. The same price as Matt Cain's card. This is part of the reason I got out. The prices are based on arbitrary [expletive]. Cain's RC was $40 in 2007 and it's $40 today, as far as I know. Matt Cain hasn't been relevant in nearly 7 years. Fielder's card went down in value while he was still being a productive hitter.

Either way, I stopped. It became way too addictive, especially after I discovered an online forum to trade with people. I must have spent several thousand dollars on hobby boxes. It was a lot of fun, but a money pit. But hey, if you're interested in acquiring some cards, I want to offload all of mine, I'd be happy to share what I got if you're interested in any of it.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Someday I'm going to pay for college with the metric ton of late 80's and early 90's cards I have somewhere at my parents' house! Surely they've done nothing but explode in value, right?

That Sam Horn 88 Topps exploded. As did the Matt Nokes Trophy card. And of course, the Vicente Palacios Rated Rookie card is currently valued in the same range as a 2500 square foot apartment overlooking Central Park.

All I can say is Billy Ripken horsefeathers Face card.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Someday I'm going to pay for college with the metric ton of late 80's and early 90's cards I have somewhere at my parents' house! Surely they've done nothing but explode in value, right?

When I moved to Madison, I decided I was tired of them taking up space to I went to the local card collectors store and asked how much he would he give me. He just laughed and said have a nice day. A couple of months later, my house was robbed and they took about 1/8th of my collection. The insurance company gave me $1000 for the cards.
3 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:53 pm

It's basically "worthless" because it's not certified, but I got a Mike Trout autograph card that was signed by him personally back when he was in AA like 7 years ago when he played against the Naturals (Royals AA team). I have a few others auto cards like Castro, Jason Kidd, etc. I have a huge Michael Jordan collection. Like 110ish cards. My brother got 3 really good cards in his collection: both Walter Payton and Eric Dickerson rookie card then an autograph David Robertson rookie card.

I dabble into it from time to time, but it's easy to go down that rabbit hole and spend way too much.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:50 pm

I gave all of my baseball cards to my older brother years and years ago. He bought boxes and boxes from dealers about 20 years ago and I doubt they increased in value since then. I chose wisely when I decided to collect records instead of comics and baseball cards.
0 x

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Fan - horsefeathering - tastic.

I've got a stack of Luis Montanez cards right here - Jeff Goldbach - you betcha'! Hee Sop Choi - of course. Davy Kelton - that sweet swinging sum-bitch - I've got more of his cards than his mothe hasr. Nic Jackson - remember this chunk?? I do because because I have 473 of his cards. Corey Patterson Check! Angel Guzman - Check! Bobby - "Hank's Boy" - Hill - CHECK! Juan Cruz - CHECK CHECK! Bryant - nope, Baez nada, Rizzo - no way.

I did just find Ron Santo at a local auction though so... :good:
1 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Yeah, it can be easy to get sucked in, and I don't know how people can spend hundreds of dollars at a time (maybe this is gambling for some people). I usually give myself a budget and I don't spend too much. Not thrilled with the modern sets much, and they can be a little overpriced, but some older stuff people really want to get rid of, so that helps. I recently grabbed Chipper, Manny, Sosa, Juan Gonzalez and Shawn Green rookie cards for 10 cents apiece. Also got some old 50s and 60s Cubs cards for a buck each. And a Javy rookie card for a buck.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Related, a fun way, if you don't mind spending on stamps, is sending baseball cards through the mail to be signed. Jon Lieber, Jaime Navarro and Matt Szczur all recently returned cards to me within a couple weeks.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:54 pm

The Logan wrote:I got back into it around 2007-2008 but eventually realized it's basically gambling now. The cards I have left were the ones that I thought "Yeah, these are the ones that are going to be worth something 10 year from now!" and it's all players who were awesome back then who crapped out and are worthless now. Meanwhile, I traded away REALLY good cards. Had a Topps Triple Threads Ty Cobb card that had pieces of a game used bat in it. Traded it away. Had two Pujols Topps RC. Basic ones, but they were still $50 a piece. Traded them both away. But what player did I collect that I knew was going to be the next big thing? Francico Liriano. Boy do I have a lot lf Francisco Liriano cards. Also, the most exp[ensive card I had when I stopped was a 2006 SPx Prince Fielder Autographed RC. It was $120 when I got it. Paid for it because I was collectin the autographed RC set. His card is now worth $40. The same price as Matt Cain's card. This is part of the reason I got out. The prices are based on arbitrary [expletive]. Cain's RC was $40 in 2007 and it's $40 today, as far as I know. Matt Cain hasn't been relevant in nearly 7 years. Fielder's card went down in value while he was still being a productive hitter.

Either way, I stopped. It became way too addictive, especially after I discovered an online forum to trade with people. I must have spent several thousand dollars on hobby boxes. It was a lot of fun, but a money pit. But hey, if you're interested in acquiring some cards, I want to offload all of mine, I'd be happy to share what I got if you're interested in any of it.

Perhaps. Shoot me a message and I'll consider it. I've been unloading some commons and rookies on eBay, not a terrible way to do it either if you're patient with it. I listed some cards months ago and forgot they were up there and then I got an email out of the blue someone bought them.
0 x

PosterToBeNamedLater
Starter

Postby PosterToBeNamedLater » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 pm

From about 1991-1995, collecting cards was the most important thing in my life. I basically stopped completely around '96 or so. I did pick it up a little bit a few years ago. Mostly for nostalgic reasons. I will buy old boxes from the early 90's on ebay. I know the cards aren't worth anything, but the boxes are fairly cheap as well. It just sort of brings me back a bit. I still have my whole collection. I never really thought about it like I was going to make a whole bunch of money even back then because I never would have wanted to sell any of the cards I liked. Even though I do have some newer cards that would be worth something ($50-100 dollar range or so), my favorite cards are still just the ones I think look the best/had some nostalgic value. For example, my favorite card of all time is probably this one:
Spoiler: show

That 92-93 upper deck basketball design is probably my favorite ever and the image they have of Jordan is great. I also have a couple of the shaq rookies from that set which was one of the coolest cards back then:

I also loved the 1991-92 Skybox basketball design and the Michael Jordan is again one of my favorite cards ever:

I love this 1994 Upper Deck Pippen where he is in the middle of the famous dunk over Ewing:

I love the Bo Jackson card where he is wearing the football pads and holding a bat:

As a kid, the players I wanted the most were Jordan, Griffey and Frank Thomas. The Holy Grail of cards was the 1989 Ken Griffey Jr. Upper Deck Rookie. I never had one back then and didn't know anyone that did--I would have traded anything for that if they did. I think it was at least $40 at card shops--that might as well have been $1000. A few years ago, I bought two off ebay for like a total of $25 or so. Man, my 10 year old self would be so jealous.

My all-time favorite moment in card collecting was when I got the 1991 Upper Deck Baseball Michael Jordan card. I was 9, collecting Jordan cards was the most important thing, and I didn't even know it existed. I thought that thing must have been so rare. Its stupid, but when I was that age, I would always feel packs before I decided on which one I was going to get (out of the same box, not different brands). Even though I knew they were the same, one would always feel heavier to me. The heavier one is the one I would get. When I got cards with my brother, I always seemed to be luckier. So that day, he let me hold the two packs we were going to get, took them both back and asked, "so which one do you want?" I could tell he was going to take the pack I picked, so I lied and said the one that felt lighter to me. The pack I got had the Jordan card and he was so pissed.

I have since bought some old 91 upper deck baseball boxes for like $7 and ended up with a ton more of those jordan cards.

Nowadays, I occasionally will just get some cubs players of this current group or other important players from baseball (Trout and Harper RC's). I remember a few years ago, I wanted a Trout RC. The boxes on Ebay were more expensive than I wanted to pay--it was like the Topps Update edition (not series 1 or 2 from that year) that he finally ended up in. So even though it was like 2 years later, I happened to be in a Toys-R-Us and they had 3 packs left from that update edition on sale because they just wanted them gone. One of those had the Trout RC and a Pujols Auto.

I especially like when Topps has the throwback designs of previous years with the current players. They did something with Bryant for their 65th anniversary and had 65 different cards (each of the designs from the previous years and then each card only had a total of 65 cards made) and I have a few of those.

I have some others like those that are Rizzo and Schwarber autos.

I also got a few of the Topps Now cards from the World Series run (Team celebration, Rizzo with arms raised for G7 and G6 against dodgers, rizzo home run in G6 against the dodgers, Javy HR against Giants, etc.)
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:58 am

Man, I am so checked out on sports cards these days; it feels genuinely weird and surreal to see current players on cards with those retro designs. When I last stopped getting them they were all super glossy and minimalist in terms of graphics.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:13 am

Has eBay (or the internet in general) depressed the value of sports collectibles? I would assume that having tons of buying options would lower the rarity of the cards?
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:31 am

Derwood wrote:Has eBay (or the internet in general) depressed the value of sports collectibles? I would assume that having tons of buying options would lower the rarity of the cards?

I think it still comes down to supply vs demand and the rarity of the product. Not sure if they still make the cards with game worn jersey fabric in them but there was a high demand for those types of cards 5-10 years ago. eBay, Craigslist, etc. were relevent then and the prices were still high.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:35 am

i have like a hundred old jordan inserts in a binder thing somewhere
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:55 am

cl smooth wrote:
Derwood wrote:Has eBay (or the internet in general) depressed the value of sports collectibles? I would assume that having tons of buying options would lower the rarity of the cards?

I think it still comes down to supply vs demand and the rarity of the product. Not sure if they still make the cards with game worn jersey fabric in them but there was a high demand for those types of cards 5-10 years ago. eBay, Craigslist, etc. were relevent then and the prices were still high.

Yeah, Ebay has made it easier to acquire cards, especially lately. Topps is now basically the only MLB card company anymore, too. Upper Deck stopped producing baseball cards, Donruss still does well making them but they don't have the rights anymore so they airbrush out the logos. All other companies like Fleer have been bought out/shut down. Some of the older stuff is still pretty collectable and desirable, for the right price. Most cards from 88-93 aren't seen as super valuable because that's when companies just mass produced everything. And those are the ones most people can't get rid of.

There are still relics and autographs in packs. I pulled a Lucas Giolito game used jersey card the other day.
0 x

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:21 am

My dad and I’ve had a combined collection going on from when he was in a kid in the late 60s early 70s. I did most of my cars buying when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s but every now and the. I’ll get some packs of cards. Baseball cards taught me a lot about baseball and I have no clue if I have anything of value. Too me I wouldn’t really sell anything anyways as the combined collection between my dad and I means more. Every couple of years we will pull out the cards just to see what’s in there.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:52 pm

This thread is timely, I was going through some keepsakes and found one of the few cards I kept, a 1996 Topps Stars Jordan atomic refractor. It looks like it held its value pretty well from when I'd pore through Beckett every month, depending on the grade it looks like I could get anywhere from $200-$500 for it. For those more familiar with that world, is it worth it to send a card in to get graded? It's in really good shape since it's basically been in a glass case since I got it (sigh) 20 years ago, and looking at Ebay it looks like that's table stakes for a card to pull in that much money.
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:This thread is timely, I was going through some keepsakes and found one of the few cards I kept, a 1996 Topps Stars Jordan atomic refractor. It looks like it held its value pretty well from when I'd pore through Beckett every month, depending on the grade it looks like I could get anywhere from $200-$500 for it. For those more familiar with that world, is it worth it to send a card in to get graded? It's in really good shape since it's basically been in a glass case since I got it (sigh) 20 years ago, and looking at Ebay it looks like that's table stakes for a card to pull in that much money.

For a card like that, I would get it graded. I have a few rare cards like that and has been wondering as well when this thread came up.

Has anybody done this? I'm curious to know how long it takes, how much, etc.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Depending on the card and the player, it can absolutely be worth it to get a card graded. For example, the Griffey Jr Upper Deck RC that has mostly been around $100 in book value the entirety of its existence, I saw perfect 10 grades on EBay selling for like $1,500-$2,000. Looking up that Jordan card, I see others with perfect scores trying to sell for more than $1,000. For cards like that, and players like that, it's probably worth it. Not only does it verify the quality of the card, it seals it and secures its quality pretty much forever. Grading can increase the value of the card tremendously, but it depends on the value of the card and how much it will increase it, and a lot of that is tired to the player on the card. Jordan is immortal, his card values will never go down unless he goes on a baby killing rampage or something.

In 2007, when I was collecting, Daisuke Matsuzaka was all the rage. People were foaming at the mouth for his cards, and I was seeing his top graded RC's and autographs going for a ton. Now? Those graded cards are still worth more than their book value, but who horsefeathering cares? No one wants it, and chances are if you own it you don't give a horsefeathers about him anymore. You should grade for three reasons, IMO:

1) Preserving a card that has a rare print run and high value
2) Preserving a card of a great player that has a high value
3) Capitalizing on the flavor of the month and boosting the value of a card that is hot at the moment to sell for more money on the open market before it crashes back to Earth.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 pm

This is my crown jewel card:

Ironically, when I got that, I got it because I was big into collecting Francisco Liriano. I was gambling on his future success. Thank God Felix Hernandez is on that card, too. Also, fun fact: Fausto Carmona doesn't exist, as that was his fake name he used when entering America, (it's Roberto Hernandez now) so technically, Fausto Carmona doesn't exist, so that's a nice bit of quirky trivia about that card. I actually collected a lot of Fausto Carmona, too, after his breakout year.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:39 pm

The Logan wrote:Also, fun fact: Fausto Carmona doesn't exist, as that was his fake name he used when entering America, (it's Roberto Hernandez now) so technically, Fausto Carmona doesn't exist, so that's a nice bit of quirky trivia about that card.

0 x

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:04 pm

keep this thread going because i'm enjoying living vicariously through you guys who collect. i haven't in probably 15 years but every now and then i get the urge to crack a couple of boxes just for fun and just sell off what i can to recoup a little money from it, but i never do.
1 x

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:57 pm

I need Joe Tinker to complete the Cubs t206 set. Anyone have any?
0 x

Return to “Social”