The Americans stretched a few things but was mostly very good

Lost I always thought was acceptable. It wasn’t good, but maybe a C-

Game of Thrones goes down with How I Met Your Mother in the worst evers
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Re: TV Finales

Postby snoodmonger » Mon May 20, 2019 5:10 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I think if we want to be topical, we need to rank the worst endings to a series. Off the top of my head, I can think of three that were worse than GOT, in order of horribleness:
1. Dexter
2. The Prisoner
3. Lost

And I'm really only including shows that were, at one point, good. Other than the above three, I can't think of anything as disappointing as Throne Game.

Lost was in no way worse than GoT. It's not even close for me.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Yes, it is truly shocking that all the posters who were determined to hate the show all season ended up rating the finale as the worst ever
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Banedon wrote:This thread will be interesting in the next few years. I really think there's a lot of really, really amazing shows in progress right now, and it'll be interesting to see if they can have a satisfying conclusion.

Barry
Schitt's Creek
Good Place
The Magicians

Just to name a few of my personal favorites.

You could add Brooklyn 99 to this list.

Then make a second list for shows like The Walking Dead.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Derwood wrote:Yes, it is truly shocking that all the posters who were determined to hate the show all season ended up rating the finale as the worst ever

0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon May 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I've long held off on watching Battlestar Galactica because of how much the ending seems to be hated.

That's a mistake on your part. BSG for 95% of the time was as good as it has ever gotten for a TV show.

I'm stunned you've not watched GOT either, which is also as good as it has ever gotten for about 85% of its run.

The whole fake swearing thing is a big hurdle for me to jump over. It's a relatively superficial criticism, but it's a BIG pet peeve for me trying to get into that show.

With both of those I watched the first few episodes and they just never stuck. I certainly didn't think either was bad; quite the opposite, actually. I thought they were really, really well done shows that just didn't click with me. BSG really was the fake swearing (if there is a fan edit out there with real swearing dubbed over the goofy future slang, I would be all over that), but GoT was a combo of me just never really being able to get into fantasy, plus it just left me feeling too damn depressed after each episode (which is also why I gave up on The Bridge). Like, I don't think either show is bad at all; it just takes a lot for me to really stick with fantasy and sci-fi TV series.

BSG was good for 2 seasons and the 3rd season premiere. It got progressively worse after that, and the finale was terrible.
Last edited by snoodmonger on Mon May 20, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon May 20, 2019 5:17 pm

Derwood wrote:Yes, it is truly shocking that all the posters who were determined to hate the show all season ended up rating the finale as the worst ever

Just curious, is that directed at me? Because I liked a lot of this season.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon May 20, 2019 5:19 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I think if we want to be topical, we need to rank the worst endings to a series. Off the top of my head, I can think of three that were worse than GOT, in order of horribleness:
1. Dexter
2. The Prisoner
3. Lost

And I'm really only including shows that were, at one point, good. Other than the above three, I can't think of anything as disappointing as Throne Game.

Lost was in no way worse than GoT. It's not even close for me.

For me its about on par. The whole flash-sideways thing was HORRIFIC and worse than any butchering that happened in GOT season 8.
"Remember how some internet rubes think the island is purgatory? Well, get this...how about if we randomly change our flash gimic one more time and make the flashes to a purgatory-version of Lost for all of the characters to meet up at the end, and then explain about 10% of what was going on in the past 5 seasons." The only thing that compares to that in terms of lazy story telling was the Bran appointment to the throne.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon May 20, 2019 5:20 pm

snoodmonger wrote:

Just curious, is that directed at me? Because I liked a lot of this season.

I think the most venomous hate thrown at the finale here has been thrown by the people who were defending season 8 two weeks ago. No idea what he's talking about.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Mon May 20, 2019 5:23 pm

the seinfeld finale being excellent is a hill i'm willing to die on
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon May 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Everyone was hyped through two episodes.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon May 20, 2019 5:34 pm

This

and then cutting to commercial was awesome

coming back mid fight (I think) was less so
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon May 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Brian wrote:This

:shock: I forgot how bad it was. Lol, christ.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon May 20, 2019 6:07 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

Everyone was hyped through two episodes.

I was still hyped through 5 because I thought it was setting us up for a finale that would kick everything's ass. It did the opposite.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon May 20, 2019 6:14 pm

Brian wrote:Image

1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Halt and Catch Fire nailed their finale and final season in general for being a garbage show for much of the first few seasons, I think Sofa stuck around for it with me but I know a lot of people gave up after 1-2 seasons.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Halt and Catch Fire nailed their finale and final season in general for being a garbage show for much of the first few seasons, I think Sofa stuck around for it with me but I know a lot of people gave up after 1-2 seasons.

I came back to it after it was over; I had watched the first season, and then initially gave up after how bad it had gotten. Heard enough rumblings that season 3 and 4 were fantastic, so I rewatched the whole thing from start to finish and loved it. That first season is ROUGH, but it's worth it, IMO, in the long run, and I think the second one is a pretty big step up. 3 and 4 are just amazing.

It's like a reverse Six Feet Under for me; the first 2 seasons of that show are still some of my favorite television ever, but everything else (that I saw; I bailed early in season 4) I thought was just awful.

And yeah, I watched that finale; kinda drives me nuts when people talk about how great it was, or how it redeemed the show, when all it's doing is giving you a parade of everyone on the show dying just to tug on the heartstrings in the most obvious way possible.

So now I just pretend the show ended when Nate went in for his surgery.
0 x

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Mon May 20, 2019 6:44 pm

Loved: The Americans
Liked: GoT
Disliked: The Office
Still angry about: Lost

Only four shows I have really cared about.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Mon May 20, 2019 6:45 pm

the simpsons ending on the city of new york vs homer simpson was a pretty great finale
3 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon May 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Brian wrote:This

damn, i legitimately have no recollection of this scene. What was happening?
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 20, 2019 6:49 pm

Lost is such a gigantic pop culture blind spot for me, and that Super Punch gif is definitely not helping convince me to change that.
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Mon May 20, 2019 6:56 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Lost is such a gigantic pop culture blind spot for me, and that Super Punch gif is definitely not helping convince me to change that.

my parents were way way late to watching lost, and they really enjoyed it. to be honest, it's probably more enjoyable watching it new now when you can just plow through the episodes and enjoy them, and not wait weeks/months between episodes to over-analyze them. it's probably how this last season of game of thrones will go down too, people bingewatching it probably will have less issues
0 x

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon May 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Lost is such a gigantic pop culture blind spot for me, and that Super Punch gif is definitely not helping convince me to change that.

I'm a Lost apologist, no question. And I get all the complaints about how the show was wrapped up, even if I disagree with them. But that show had enough good seasons of TV to make it worth watching. Even if you end up hating the end, I think it's worth it.

I feel the same about GoT. There were, what 70+ episodes? And across all that, 60-65 really good ones? I absolutely hated the finale, but it's insane to deny yourself that many hours of great TV bc you hated how it went out.

Honestly, same for BSG. There's enough good TV there to suffer through the disappointment.
5 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 pm

snoodmonger wrote:

I'm a Lost apologist, no question. And I get all the complaints about how the show was wrapped up, even if I disagree with them. But that show had enough good seasons of TV to make it worth watching. Even if you end up hating the end, I think it's worth it.

I feel the same about GoT. There were, what 70+ episodes? And across all that, 60-65 really good ones? I absolutely hated the finale, but it's insane to deny yourself that many hours of great TV bc you hated how it went out.

Honestly, same for BSG. There's enough good TV there to suffer through the disappointment.

I'd be happy to watch shows like that with a guide as to when to punch out. I've got no problem dropping a show once it turns (hello, The Office, Dexter, SFU, The X-Files) and not looking back. I don't need there to be an actual ending to enjoy the good stuff.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 20, 2019 7:04 pm

Oh! Now that anyone here likely had any real feelings about this show, but that Dinosaurs finale has to rank up there as one of the most definitive ways to end a damn TV show:

https://www.vulture.com/2018/08/dinosau ... inale.html

The show was called Dinosaurs, and it was essentially an inverse of The Flintstones. A sitcom set in prehistoric times, it followed a family of dinosaurs that used technology, got married, had kids, and went to work, all while humans lingered around as stupid creatures worthy of ridicule. But in its finale, the show’s creators twisted that premise to give a grave warning: Driven by ignorance and greed, the dinosaurs accidentally spark an Ice Age that causes worldwide extinction.

The show’s last scene sees Earl finally realizing what he has done: By sucking up to his boss and agreeing to spray the world with poison, he’s doomed everyone to an Ice Age. He apologizes to the family and admits he shouldn’t have taken nature for granted as he tries to comfort the Baby. “I’m sure it’ll all work out okay,” Earl says, as the family huddles in warm clothes. “After all, dinosaurs have been on this earth for 150 million years. It’s not like we’re going to just … disappear!” The series ends with local anchorman Howard Handupme signing off, and a shot of the Sinclair home being covered in snow.
1 x

Return to “Social”