El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Re: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Postby Old Style » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:04 pm

0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:16 pm

One week away...
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Old Style wrote:One week away...

Yeah, very excited to see this. I'm still debating whether to watch it in theaters or on Netflix...

Also, this is very important:
Spoiler: show
1 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:28 pm

I just don't understand why nearly every Breaking Bad article has something along the lines of "the best show since Sopranos". I mean, Sopranos was fine, but to me it's not even in the same league as BB. Hell, it's not even as good as The Wire.
5 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:32 pm

NOLA wrote:I just don't understand why nearly every Breaking Bad article has something along the lines of "the best show since Sopranos". I mean, Sopranos was fine, but to me it's not even in the same league as BB. Hell, it's not even as good as The Wire.

I was not a huge fan of the sopranos, but it's universally considered the show that basically created peak tv, so I don't mind if it's used as the baseline.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 pm

NOLA wrote:I just don't understand why nearly every Breaking Bad article has something along the lines of "the best show since Sopranos". I mean, Sopranos was fine, but to me it's not even in the same league as BB. Hell, it's not even as good as The Wire.

1 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:08 pm

Regular Show wrote:Also, this is very important:
Spoiler: show

2 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:18 pm

I’ve got tickets to see it in the theater Friday night but I’m sure I’ll watch it at least once before at home on Netflix. Won’t be able to wait.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 pm

Old Style wrote:I’ve got tickets to see it in the theater Friday night but I’m sure I’ll watch it at least once before at home on Netflix. Won’t be able to wait.

yeah i was thinking about getting tickets at the Music Box Theater on Southport but I won't be able to wait. I won't even be able to wait to watch it on my TV, I will definitely watch most of it on my phone on the train ride to work.
0 x
Win it for Fred

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:00 pm

NOLA wrote:I just don't understand why nearly every Breaking Bad article has something along the lines of "the best show since Sopranos". I mean, Sopranos was fine, but to me it's not even in the same league as BB.

NOLA wrote: Hell, it's not even as good as The Wire.

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Movie premiere was last night. Haven't seen any official reviews yet, not sure when the embargo is, but a couple of people on Reddit are saying its awesome and does the show justice. One said he was concerned that there wasn't anything left to say after Felina and the movie would feel tacked on but after watching he was completely wrong.

Anyways, look out for spoilers the new few days. Friday can't get here fast enough!
0 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:50 pm

I just finished blitzing back through Breaking Bad, and it made me realize/remember that it's almost certainly the best show that I've ever watched(I haven't seen some of those mentioned here like The Wire or The Sopranos). The thing that I think it does better than most every other prestige show is that it is able to deliver a lot of subtext and keep the pacing deliberate at times while also constantly ratcheting up the stakes. Like before if you had asked me how far into the show the end of Tuco's character arc was, I would've said it was like halfway through or so, and that all happens and concludes around 10 episodes into the series. At my core I'd rather be entertained than be given a heavy dose of symbolism/below the surface meaning, and Breaking Bad does both incredibly well.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:54 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I just finished blitzing back through Breaking Bad, and it made me realize/remember that it's almost certainly the best show that I've ever watched(I haven't seen some of those mentioned here like The Wire or The Sopranos). The thing that I think it does better than most every other prestige show is that it is able to deliver a lot of subtext and keep the pacing deliberate at times while also constantly ratcheting up the stakes. Like before if you had asked me how far into the show the end of Tuco's character arc was, I would've said it was like halfway through or so, and that all happens and concludes around 10 episodes into the series. At my core I'd rather be entertained than be given a heavy dose of symbolism/below the surface meaning, and Breaking Bad does both incredibly well.

I'm making a half hearted attempt at the same, but unless I just binge Netflix all day every day this week at work, not going to get there before Friday. Almost done with season 2 now, and I agree that the show really holds up. Some of the dialogue is pretty clunky, especially Jesse/Badger/Skinny Pete talking about "slanging crystal" and "stacking mad stacks"...but I know that gets a lot better later on. The frustrating part for me is that I forgot just how long the charade goes within Walt's family. Some of the awkwardness between those three and the continued lies gets pretty difficult to watch with how much awkwardness there is.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:32 pm

I still prefer Mad Men slightly, but Breaking Bad is pretty much 1b of my favorite shows. I've had a lot of time on my commute to and from work to catch up on a lot of prestige TV, and while there are several shows that are damn good, none of them have approached those 2 shows yet in my book.
1 x
Win it for Fred

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:(I haven't seen ... The Wire)

you horsefeathering idiot
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:10 pm

0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:33 pm

The Ringer has been doing an article a day about Breaking Bad before El Camino comes out. I found this one entertaining, making an argument that Jesse's brother Jake is the worst character on the show and partially the reason for the events that happen to Jesse during the show.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/10/8/ ... other-jake

If you like list and want to reminisce, here is a ranking of every Breaking Bad episode:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/9/30/ ... es-ranking
0 x
Win it for Fred

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:54 pm

I forgot about Jesse's little brother and would not have been able to recall his name for the life of me.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:26 pm

Just got done watching that episode a couple days ago. While I agree with most of the points raised on him being a wonderkid who was also very poorly cast age-wise for someone who ends up being a stoner, it seemed pretty over the top to focus on someone who showed up in one episode. I just got to the Ted Beneke intro, and from what I remember, he seems much, much worse.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Maybe the BB/BCSfolks are just kind of bad at casting kids. Mike's granddaughter has apparently been 7-ish for damn near a decade, seemingly.

Oooooh, maybe Dirt Bike Kid was actually supposed to be 26, and it wasn't nearly as sad as we thought.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:17 pm

squally1313 wrote:Just got done watching that episode a couple days ago. While I agree with most of the points raised on him being a wonderkid who was also very poorly cast age-wise for someone who ends up being a stoner, it seemed pretty over the top to focus on someone who showed up in one episode. I just got to the Ted Beneke intro, and from what I remember, he seems much, much worse.

I found Jesse's brother to be pretty believable(if a bit stereotypical), the article seems to be letting his parents' assessment of his musical ability and some bedroom decorations do a lot of heavy lifting.

Ted on the other hand, his series of decisions that lead to him in the hospital is a bit more nonsensical.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:18 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:

oh, is the wire good
1 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:23 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
big ball chunky time wrote:

oh, is the wire good

It's a pretty good precursor to Bosch, but not a prerequisite watch if you just want to get right into the greatest show on television

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
squally1313 wrote:Just got done watching that episode a couple days ago. While I agree with most of the points raised on him being a wonderkid who was also very poorly cast age-wise for someone who ends up being a stoner, it seemed pretty over the top to focus on someone who showed up in one episode. I just got to the Ted Beneke intro, and from what I remember, he seems much, much worse.

I found Jesse's brother to be pretty believable(if a bit stereotypical), the article seems to be letting his parents' assessment of his musical ability and some bedroom decorations do a lot of heavy lifting.

Guys, it's mostly a joke.

Ted on the other hand, his series of decisions that lead to him in the hospital is a bit more nonsensical.

Meh; everything made sense as to how and why it happened, capped off by an act of god of him face-planting into...what the hell was it? A kitchen island?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Meh; everything made sense as to how and why it happened, capped off by an act of god of him face-planting into...what the hell was it? A kitchen island?

Yeah, a kitchen island/counter. The part I understand less is his insistence on keeping a criminal IRS audit hanging over his head. I can see the logic, but given what was known about Ted(willing to commit tax fraud and sleep with a married woman), it felt less true for him to make that moral stand in the name of keeping his people employed.
0 x

Return to “Social”