Postby Brian707 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:56 pm

Some idiot at work said, "I guess we should ban cars now" SMH
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:58 pm

Brian707 wrote:Some idiot at work said, "I guess we should ban cars now" SMH

thats not a bad idea. cars are huge polluters. we could do a whole lot better as a species in bicycles, trains, buses and mopeds
3 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:26 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:thats not a bad idea. cars are huge polluters. we could do a whole lot better as a species in bicycles, trains, buses and mopeds

Completely agreed, cars were the beginning of the end for us maybe
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:48 pm

This same thing happened in the garage of my building last year.

I got home from work and noticed the gate was smashed and stuck open, ceiling tiles and supports smashed or gone, wires hanging out all over the place, and everything still wet like a monsoon had happened. Turned out some idiot had forced in a U-Haul truck a good 70 horsefeathering feet into the parking garage, annihilating the door and the ceiling the entire way.

Like, how do you not notice the initial problem and then keep going for that long?
2 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:05 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:This same thing happened in the garage of my building last year.

I got home from work and noticed the gate was smashed and stuck open, ceiling tiles and supports smashed or gone, wires hanging out all over the place, and everything still wet like a monsoon had happened. Turned out some idiot had forced in a U-Haul truck a good 70 horsefeathering feet into the parking garage, annihilating the door and the ceiling the entire way.

Like, how do you not notice the initial problem and then keep going for that long?

1 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 pm

Banedon wrote:Someone driving through Woodfield Mall.

Elwood!
1 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:11 pm

There's already a St. Louis Cardinals thread.
10 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:https://youtu.be/Hhk7m1SSmRs

This video is legitimately one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:13 am

One time I was driving a fully packed 18 ft Uhaul, approaching a red light, probably about 30-40 yards out... and the brakes wouldn't grip. I panicked. I could have maybe pulled the E brake but my mind didn't go there. There was a few cars waiting at the light and I was going to plow straight through them if I didn't do something...

So I just ripped the wheel to the right and destroyed this raised pickup truck that was parked by the curb. It pushed it about 6 feet over the curb. The owner of the truck just happened to be hanging out on his patio and saw the whole thing. Thank God I had taken out the insurance. He was understanding. I felt like I did all I could to prevent a real catastrophe. I could have done major damage. But nobody was injured and I'm sure he got a nice new truck out of it.

This was on a short move, about 5 miles. I was less than a mile from my destination. I drove slow and cautious the whole way, knowing how much weight I was hauling. I had hit several other lights without a hitch. It was just a fluke occurrence that scared the horsefeathers out of me.
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:50 pm

Garages are supposed to be a min 7' clear per code, but often get built well shy of that. Sprinkler heads are the #1 thing that gets hung low. Also, when the sprinkler pipe opens up in that video you see what's in that pipe, dark brown/black water. Water sits in those iron pipes for months, sometimes years and soaks in all the wonderful greases used to protect the inside of the pipes from rust. It is the ugliest, dirtiest, most foul smelling horsefeathers water not much better then raw sewage. Those guys are soaked annnnd smell terrible !!
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:55 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:One time I was driving a fully packed 18 ft Uhaul, approaching a red light, probably about 30-40 yards out... and the brakes wouldn't grip. I panicked. I could have maybe pulled the E brake but my mind didn't go there. There was a few cars waiting at the light and I was going to plow straight through them if I didn't do something...

So I just ripped the wheel to the right and destroyed this raised pickup truck that was parked by the curb. It pushed it about 6 feet over the curb. The owner of the truck just happened to be hanging out on his patio and saw the whole thing. Thank God I had taken out the insurance. He was understanding. I felt like I did all I could to prevent a real catastrophe. I could have done major damage. But nobody was injured and I'm sure he got a nice new truck out of it.

This was on a short move, about 5 miles. I was less than a mile from my destination. I drove slow and cautious the whole way, knowing how much weight I was hauling. I had hit several other lights without a hitch. It was just a fluke occurrence that scared the horsefeathers out of me.

I'll be using a U-Haul to move in a couple weeks and this story is going to haunt my every moment behind the wheel.
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:44 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:One time I was driving a fully packed 18 ft Uhaul, approaching a red light, probably about 30-40 yards out... and the brakes wouldn't grip. I panicked. I could have maybe pulled the E brake but my mind didn't go there. There was a few cars waiting at the light and I was going to plow straight through them if I didn't do something...

I'll be using a U-Haul to move in a couple weeks and this story is going to haunt my every moment behind the wheel.

When my GF and I moved her out here last year we, of course, rented a big U-Haul, and it was definitely low grade terrifying that we just walked in and got it despite neither of us having any experience driving anything even remotely close to that size. I was white-knuckling it almost the whole way, especially on the PA Turnpike in the dark.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:47 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Garages are supposed to be a min 7' clear per code, but often get built well shy of that. Sprinkler heads are the #1 thing that gets hung low. Also, when the sprinkler pipe opens up in that video you see what's in that pipe, dark brown/black water. Water sits in those iron pipes for months, sometimes years and soaks in all the wonderful greases used to protect the inside of the pipes from rust. It is the ugliest, dirtiest, most foul smelling horsefeathers water not much better then raw sewage. Those guys are soaked annnnd smell terrible !!

I had no idea sprinkler water would that nasty when it first comes out; I figured they hit a plumbing line or something.

So if a sprinkler system goes off in my apartment due to a fire somewhere, everything is pretty much horsefeathers regardless of the fire damage. Grrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

I had no idea sprinkler water would that nasty when it first comes out; I figured they hit a plumbing line or something.

So if a sprinkler system goes off in my apartment due to a fire somewhere, everything is pretty much horsefeathers regardless of the fire damage. Grrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

yuuup....but they do save lives
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:54 pm

Yeah, I'm not about to start removing my sprinklers or whatever. I just figured the water in there was flushed or cycled.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:01 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

When my GF and I moved her out here last year we, of course, rented a big U-Haul, and it was definitely low grade terrifying that we just walked in and got it despite neither of us having any experience driving anything even remotely close to that size. I was white-knuckling it almost the whole way, especially on the PA Turnpike in the dark.

Yeah, I drove a 24' U-Haul (with an SUV on a 4-wheel trailer) from Chicago to Pennsylvania. Changing lanes was an adventure EVERY TIME
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:17 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

I've used them before in small doses, but I'm definitely now leaning towards the smallest possible truck since we're moving literally 1 mile away and I'll have 3-4 days to get everything moved over in shifts.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

I've used them before in small doses, but I'm definitely now leaning towards the smallest possible truck since we're moving literally 1 mile away and I'll have 3-4 days to get everything moved over in shifts.

Yeah, that would have been much more ideal. We technically needed an even bigger truck, but ended up just donating a few pieces of storage furniture she was on the fence about because it would have meant upgrading to the next size up. No thanks.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Yeah, that would have been much more ideal. We technically needed an even bigger truck, but ended up just donating a few pieces of storage furniture she was on the fence about because it would have meant upgrading to the next size up. No thanks.

No kidding, hundreds of miles in highway driving sounds like a nightmare regardless of size. When we moved from Washington to Missouri we used a pod with solid success, but it was only cost effective because we didn't have a ton of stuff after paring down so much to go out there from IL.
1 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:30 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

No kidding, hundreds of miles in highway driving sounds like a nightmare regardless of size. When we moved from Washington to Missouri we used a pod with solid success, but it was only cost effective because we didn't have a ton of stuff after paring down so much to go out there from IL.

Driving a big U-Haul with my car towed behind through rural Alabama through the snow was one of the scariest things in my life. Of course, I had zero experience driving anything like that, much less with a car tow trailer, but I made it miraculously.
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:56 pm

NOLA wrote:.... Of course, I had zero experience driving anything like that, much less with a car tow trailer, but I made it miraculously.

a long time ago in a far far away land I drove a semi with chemical tank trailers for a living. that cured me of a lot of fears
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:35 pm

I clipped bumped something with my UHaul passenger side mirror closing it inward. Then I did the left-hand lane on-ramp to southbound I-90. without having a clue what was next to me.
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:27 pm

I generally have no fear when it comes to operating a motor vehicle. I have driven vehicles in all shapes and sizes since before I turned 10 years old, thanks to helping my grandpa out on the farm. I have never shied away from operating cars, trucks, vans, etc. in all sorts of shady conditions. I rented a U-Haul once. I now drive 90 miles one-way to borrow my dad's trailer if I need something moved. horsefeathers those death traps all to hell.
0 x

Return to “Social”