Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 69770
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 8358
x 8128

Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Banedon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:08 pm

Someone driving through Woodfield Mall.

0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 69770
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 8358
x 8128

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Banedon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:10 pm

The driver is apparently in custody.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 3990
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 1529
x 1836

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Brian707 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:56 pm

Some idiot at work said, "I guess we should ban cars now" SMH
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21624
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: Bolivar Drakoulias
x 4517
x 1696

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:58 pm

Brian707 wrote:Some idiot at work said, "I guess we should ban cars now" SMH



thats not a bad idea. cars are huge polluters. we could do a whole lot better as a species in bicycles, trains, buses and mopeds
3 x
Image

TomtheBombadil
Superstar
Posts: 11453
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 1203
x 1194

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:26 am

minnesotacubsfan wrote:thats not a bad idea. cars are huge polluters. we could do a whole lot better as a species in bicycles, trains, buses and mopeds


Completely agreed, cars were the beginning of the end for us maybe
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 88631
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 20211
x 21581

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:48 pm



This same thing happened in the garage of my building last year.

I got home from work and noticed the gate was smashed and stuck open, ceiling tiles and supports smashed or gone, wires hanging out all over the place, and everything still wet like a monsoon had happened. Turned out some idiot had forced in a U-Haul truck a good 70 horsefeathering feet into the parking garage, annihilating the door and the ceiling the entire way.

Like, how do you not notice the initial problem and then keep going for that long?
2 x

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 12628
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: Kevin Costner's Seaworld
x 1039
x 2163

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby sneakypower » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:05 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:This same thing happened in the garage of my building last year.

I got home from work and noticed the gate was smashed and stuck open, ceiling tiles and supports smashed or gone, wires hanging out all over the place, and everything still wet like a monsoon had happened. Turned out some idiot had forced in a U-Haul truck a good 70 horsefeathering feet into the parking garage, annihilating the door and the ceiling the entire way.

Like, how do you not notice the initial problem and then keep going for that long?

Image
1 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 13307
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 113
x 324

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby stitchface » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 pm

Banedon wrote:Someone driving through Woodfield Mall.



Elwood!
1 x

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21599
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 254
x 848

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby UK » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:11 pm

There's already a St. Louis Cardinals thread.
10 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

User avatar
Proven Veteran
All-Star
Posts: 2564
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
x 2367
x 386

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Proven Veteran » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:https://youtu.be/Hhk7m1SSmRs

This same thing happened in the garage of my building last year.

I got home from work and noticed the gate was smashed and stuck open, ceiling tiles and supports smashed or gone, wires hanging out all over the place, and everything still wet like a monsoon had happened. Turned out some idiot had forced in a U-Haul truck a good 70 horsefeathering feet into the parking garage, annihilating the door and the ceiling the entire way.

Like, how do you not notice the initial problem and then keep going for that long?


This video is legitimately one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
1 x

We Got The Whole 9
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5369
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 951

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:13 am

One time I was driving a fully packed 18 ft Uhaul, approaching a red light, probably about 30-40 yards out... and the brakes wouldn't grip. I panicked. I could have maybe pulled the E brake but my mind didn't go there. There was a few cars waiting at the light and I was going to plow straight through them if I didn't do something...

So I just ripped the wheel to the right and destroyed this raised pickup truck that was parked by the curb. It pushed it about 6 feet over the curb. The owner of the truck just happened to be hanging out on his patio and saw the whole thing. Thank God I had taken out the insurance. He was understanding. I felt like I did all I could to prevent a real catastrophe. I could have done major damage. But nobody was injured and I'm sure he got a nice new truck out of it.

This was on a short move, about 5 miles. I was less than a mile from my destination. I drove slow and cautious the whole way, knowing how much weight I was hauling. I had hit several other lights without a hitch. It was just a fluke occurrence that scared the horsefeathers out of me.
2 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21624
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: Bolivar Drakoulias
x 4517
x 1696

Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:https://youtu.be/Hhk7m1SSmRs

This same thing happened in the garage of my building last year.

I got home from work and noticed the gate was smashed and stuck open, ceiling tiles and supports smashed or gone, wires hanging out all over the place, and everything still wet like a monsoon had happened. Turned out some idiot had forced in a U-Haul truck a good 70 horsefeathering feet into the parking garage, annihilating the door and the ceiling the entire way.

Like, how do you not notice the initial problem and then keep going for that long?

Garages are supposed to be a min 7' clear per code, but often get built well shy of that. Sprinkler heads are the #1 thing that gets hung low. Also, when the sprinkler pipe opens up in that video you see what's in that pipe, dark brown/black water. Water sits in those iron pipes for months, sometimes years and soaks in all the wonderful greases used to protect the inside of the pipes from rust. It is the ugliest, dirtiest, most foul smelling horsefeathers water not much better then raw sewage. Those guys are soaked annnnd smell terrible !!
0 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58723
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 761
x 8763

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:55 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:One time I was driving a fully packed 18 ft Uhaul, approaching a red light, probably about 30-40 yards out... and the brakes wouldn't grip. I panicked. I could have maybe pulled the E brake but my mind didn't go there. There was a few cars waiting at the light and I was going to plow straight through them if I didn't do something...

So I just ripped the wheel to the right and destroyed this raised pickup truck that was parked by the curb. It pushed it about 6 feet over the curb. The owner of the truck just happened to be hanging out on his patio and saw the whole thing. Thank God I had taken out the insurance. He was understanding. I felt like I did all I could to prevent a real catastrophe. I could have done major damage. But nobody was injured and I'm sure he got a nice new truck out of it.

This was on a short move, about 5 miles. I was less than a mile from my destination. I drove slow and cautious the whole way, knowing how much weight I was hauling. I had hit several other lights without a hitch. It was just a fluke occurrence that scared the horsefeathers out of me.


I'll be using a U-Haul to move in a couple weeks and this story is going to haunt my every moment behind the wheel.
3 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 88631
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 20211
x 21581

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:44 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:One time I was driving a fully packed 18 ft Uhaul, approaching a red light, probably about 30-40 yards out... and the brakes wouldn't grip. I panicked. I could have maybe pulled the E brake but my mind didn't go there. There was a few cars waiting at the light and I was going to plow straight through them if I didn't do something...

So I just ripped the wheel to the right and destroyed this raised pickup truck that was parked by the curb. It pushed it about 6 feet over the curb. The owner of the truck just happened to be hanging out on his patio and saw the whole thing. Thank God I had taken out the insurance. He was understanding. I felt like I did all I could to prevent a real catastrophe. I could have done major damage. But nobody was injured and I'm sure he got a nice new truck out of it.

This was on a short move, about 5 miles. I was less than a mile from my destination. I drove slow and cautious the whole way, knowing how much weight I was hauling. I had hit several other lights without a hitch. It was just a fluke occurrence that scared the horsefeathers out of me.


I'll be using a U-Haul to move in a couple weeks and this story is going to haunt my every moment behind the wheel.


When my GF and I moved her out here last year we, of course, rented a big U-Haul, and it was definitely low grade terrifying that we just walked in and got it despite neither of us having any experience driving anything even remotely close to that size. I was white-knuckling it almost the whole way, especially on the PA Turnpike in the dark.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 88631
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 20211
x 21581

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:47 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:https://youtu.be/Hhk7m1SSmRs

This same thing happened in the garage of my building last year.

I got home from work and noticed the gate was smashed and stuck open, ceiling tiles and supports smashed or gone, wires hanging out all over the place, and everything still wet like a monsoon had happened. Turned out some idiot had forced in a U-Haul truck a good 70 horsefeathering feet into the parking garage, annihilating the door and the ceiling the entire way.

Like, how do you not notice the initial problem and then keep going for that long?

Garages are supposed to be a min 7' clear per code, but often get built well shy of that. Sprinkler heads are the #1 thing that gets hung low. Also, when the sprinkler pipe opens up in that video you see what's in that pipe, dark brown/black water. Water sits in those iron pipes for months, sometimes years and soaks in all the wonderful greases used to protect the inside of the pipes from rust. It is the ugliest, dirtiest, most foul smelling horsefeathers water not much better then raw sewage. Those guys are soaked annnnd smell terrible !!


I had no idea sprinkler water would that nasty when it first comes out; I figured they hit a plumbing line or something.

So if a sprinkler system goes off in my apartment due to a fire somewhere, everything is pretty much horsefeathers regardless of the fire damage. Grrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21624
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: Bolivar Drakoulias
x 4517
x 1696

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:https://youtu.be/Hhk7m1SSmRs

This same thing happened in the garage of my building last year.

I got home from work and noticed the gate was smashed and stuck open, ceiling tiles and supports smashed or gone, wires hanging out all over the place, and everything still wet like a monsoon had happened. Turned out some idiot had forced in a U-Haul truck a good 70 horsefeathering feet into the parking garage, annihilating the door and the ceiling the entire way.

Like, how do you not notice the initial problem and then keep going for that long?

Garages are supposed to be a min 7' clear per code, but often get built well shy of that. Sprinkler heads are the #1 thing that gets hung low. Also, when the sprinkler pipe opens up in that video you see what's in that pipe, dark brown/black water. Water sits in those iron pipes for months, sometimes years and soaks in all the wonderful greases used to protect the inside of the pipes from rust. It is the ugliest, dirtiest, most foul smelling horsefeathers water not much better then raw sewage. Those guys are soaked annnnd smell terrible !!


I had no idea sprinkler water would that nasty when it first comes out; I figured they hit a plumbing line or something.

So if a sprinkler system goes off in my apartment due to a fire somewhere, everything is pretty much horsefeathers regardless of the fire damage. Grrrrreeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.



yuuup....but they do save lives
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 88631
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 20211
x 21581

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:54 pm

Yeah, I'm not about to start removing my sprinklers or whatever. I just figured the water in there was flushed or cycled.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 76580
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1827
x 4356

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Derwood » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:01 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:One time I was driving a fully packed 18 ft Uhaul, approaching a red light, probably about 30-40 yards out... and the brakes wouldn't grip. I panicked. I could have maybe pulled the E brake but my mind didn't go there. There was a few cars waiting at the light and I was going to plow straight through them if I didn't do something...

So I just ripped the wheel to the right and destroyed this raised pickup truck that was parked by the curb. It pushed it about 6 feet over the curb. The owner of the truck just happened to be hanging out on his patio and saw the whole thing. Thank God I had taken out the insurance. He was understanding. I felt like I did all I could to prevent a real catastrophe. I could have done major damage. But nobody was injured and I'm sure he got a nice new truck out of it.

This was on a short move, about 5 miles. I was less than a mile from my destination. I drove slow and cautious the whole way, knowing how much weight I was hauling. I had hit several other lights without a hitch. It was just a fluke occurrence that scared the horsefeathers out of me.


I'll be using a U-Haul to move in a couple weeks and this story is going to haunt my every moment behind the wheel.


When my GF and I moved her out here last year we, of course, rented a big U-Haul, and it was definitely low grade terrifying that we just walked in and got it despite neither of us having any experience driving anything even remotely close to that size. I was white-knuckling it almost the whole way, especially on the PA Turnpike in the dark.



Yeah, I drove a 24' U-Haul (with an SUV on a 4-wheel trailer) from Chicago to Pennsylvania. Changing lanes was an adventure EVERY TIME
1 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58723
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 761
x 8763

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:17 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:One time I was driving a fully packed 18 ft Uhaul, approaching a red light, probably about 30-40 yards out... and the brakes wouldn't grip. I panicked. I could have maybe pulled the E brake but my mind didn't go there. There was a few cars waiting at the light and I was going to plow straight through them if I didn't do something...

So I just ripped the wheel to the right and destroyed this raised pickup truck that was parked by the curb. It pushed it about 6 feet over the curb. The owner of the truck just happened to be hanging out on his patio and saw the whole thing. Thank God I had taken out the insurance. He was understanding. I felt like I did all I could to prevent a real catastrophe. I could have done major damage. But nobody was injured and I'm sure he got a nice new truck out of it.

This was on a short move, about 5 miles. I was less than a mile from my destination. I drove slow and cautious the whole way, knowing how much weight I was hauling. I had hit several other lights without a hitch. It was just a fluke occurrence that scared the horsefeathers out of me.


I'll be using a U-Haul to move in a couple weeks and this story is going to haunt my every moment behind the wheel.


When my GF and I moved her out here last year we, of course, rented a big U-Haul, and it was definitely low grade terrifying that we just walked in and got it despite neither of us having any experience driving anything even remotely close to that size. I was white-knuckling it almost the whole way, especially on the PA Turnpike in the dark.


I've used them before in small doses, but I'm definitely now leaning towards the smallest possible truck since we're moving literally 1 mile away and I'll have 3-4 days to get everything moved over in shifts.
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 88631
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 20211
x 21581

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
I'll be using a U-Haul to move in a couple weeks and this story is going to haunt my every moment behind the wheel.


When my GF and I moved her out here last year we, of course, rented a big U-Haul, and it was definitely low grade terrifying that we just walked in and got it despite neither of us having any experience driving anything even remotely close to that size. I was white-knuckling it almost the whole way, especially on the PA Turnpike in the dark.


I've used them before in small doses, but I'm definitely now leaning towards the smallest possible truck since we're moving literally 1 mile away and I'll have 3-4 days to get everything moved over in shifts.


Yeah, that would have been much more ideal. We technically needed an even bigger truck, but ended up just donating a few pieces of storage furniture she was on the fence about because it would have meant upgrading to the next size up. No thanks.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58723
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 761
x 8763

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
When my GF and I moved her out here last year we, of course, rented a big U-Haul, and it was definitely low grade terrifying that we just walked in and got it despite neither of us having any experience driving anything even remotely close to that size. I was white-knuckling it almost the whole way, especially on the PA Turnpike in the dark.


I've used them before in small doses, but I'm definitely now leaning towards the smallest possible truck since we're moving literally 1 mile away and I'll have 3-4 days to get everything moved over in shifts.


Yeah, that would have been much more ideal. We technically needed an even bigger truck, but ended up just donating a few pieces of storage furniture she was on the fence about because it would have meant upgrading to the next size up. No thanks.


No kidding, hundreds of miles in highway driving sounds like a nightmare regardless of size. When we moved from Washington to Missouri we used a pod with solid success, but it was only cost effective because we didn't have a ton of stuff after paring down so much to go out there from IL.
1 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6399
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 2270
x 1697
Contact:

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby NOLA » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:30 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
I've used them before in small doses, but I'm definitely now leaning towards the smallest possible truck since we're moving literally 1 mile away and I'll have 3-4 days to get everything moved over in shifts.


Yeah, that would have been much more ideal. We technically needed an even bigger truck, but ended up just donating a few pieces of storage furniture she was on the fence about because it would have meant upgrading to the next size up. No thanks.


No kidding, hundreds of miles in highway driving sounds like a nightmare regardless of size. When we moved from Washington to Missouri we used a pod with solid success, but it was only cost effective because we didn't have a ton of stuff after paring down so much to go out there from IL.

Driving a big U-Haul with my car towed behind through rural Alabama through the snow was one of the scariest things in my life. Of course, I had zero experience driving anything like that, much less with a car tow trailer, but I made it miraculously.
2 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21624
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: Bolivar Drakoulias
x 4517
x 1696

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:56 pm

NOLA wrote:.... Of course, I had zero experience driving anything like that, much less with a car tow trailer, but I made it miraculously.


a long time ago in a far far away land I drove a semi with chemical tank trailers for a living. that cured me of a lot of fears
0 x
Image

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 50589
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 1077
x 2507

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:35 pm

I clipped bumped something with my UHaul passenger side mirror closing it inward. Then I did the left-hand lane on-ramp to southbound I-90. without having a clue what was next to me.
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 36799
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1221
x 8957

Re: Guess what an idiot with a steering wheel did this time

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:27 pm

I generally have no fear when it comes to operating a motor vehicle. I have driven vehicles in all shapes and sizes since before I turned 10 years old, thanks to helping my grandpa out on the farm. I have never shied away from operating cars, trucks, vans, etc. in all sorts of shady conditions. I rented a U-Haul once. I now drive 90 miles one-way to borrow my dad's trailer if I need something moved. horsefeathers those death traps all to hell.
0 x
Image


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: minnesotacubsfan and 3 guests