CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby CubinNY » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Latest:

What is coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)?
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness
that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes
COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that was first identified
during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China.
Can people in the U.S. get COVID-19?

COVID-19 is spreading from person to person in China,
and limited spread among close contacts has been detected
in some countries outside China, including the United
States. At this time, however, this virus is NOT currently
spreading in communities in the United States. Right now,
the greatest risk of infection is for people in China or people
who have traveled to China. Risk of infection is dependent
on exposure. Close contacts of people who are infected are
at greater risk of exposure, for example health care workers
and close contacts of people who are infected with the virus
that causes COVID-19. CDC continues to closely monitor
the situation.

Have there been cases of COVID-19 in the U.S.?
Yes. The first case of COVID-19 in the United States was
reported on January 21, 2020. The current count of cases
of COVID-19 in the United States is available on CDC’s
webpage at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/
cases-in-us.html.
How does COVID-19 spread?
The virus that causes COVID-19 probably emerged from an
animal source, but now it seems to be spreading from person
to person. It’s important to note that person-to-person
spread can happen on a continuum. Some diseases are highly
contagious (like measles), while other diseases are less so. At
this time, it’s unclear how easily or sustainably the virus that
causes COVID-19 is spreading between people. Learn what
is known about the spread of newly emerged coronaviruses
at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/
transmission.html.

What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
Patients with COVID-19 have had mild to severe respiratory
illness with symptoms of
• fever
• cough
• shortness of breath
What are severe complications from this virus?
Many patients have pneumonia in both lungs.
How can I help protect myself?
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed
to the virus that causes COVID-19.
There are simple everyday preventive actions to
help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses.
These include
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with
unwashed hands.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20
seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains
at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
If you are sick, to keep from spreading respiratory
illness to others, you should
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the
tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects
and surfaces.

What should I do if I recently traveled to China
and got sick?

If you were in China within the past 14 days and feel sick
with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, you should seek
medical care. Call the office of your health care provider
before you go, and tell them about your travel and your
symptoms. They will give you instructions on how to get care
without exposing other people to your illness. While sick,
avoid contact with people, don’t go out and delay any travel
to reduce the possibility of spreading illness to others.
Is there a vaccine?

There is currently no vaccine to protect against COVID-19.
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed
to the virus that causes COVID-19.

Is there a treatment?
There is no specific antiviral treatment for COVID-19.
People with COVID-19 can seek medical care to help
relieve symptoms.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby d_money » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:56 pm

This Johns Hopkins site is pretty good...

https://www.gisaid.org/epiflu-applicati ... -covid-19/
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:02 pm

0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:07 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:08 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1234569733711826944?s=20

all old,

70, 70, 80 , and 70 years old. A continued care facility in King Co is getting hammered. The first US outbreak
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:11 pm

a high school that I am designing security upgrades for was closed this morning for a scrub down, a student there is being tested.

health depts are taking this very seriously
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:29 pm

I'm genuinely worried about my Dad in Florida. He's in his 70's and he had a bad accident decades ago that required him to get his spleen removed so he's super vulnerable to illnesses. To compound matters my Mom, just a shade under 70, is a nurse who works at a detox clinic that mostly deals with filthy (in a literal sense of the word) homeless drug addicts.

I am not thrilled about that situation.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:31 pm

The Logan wrote:I'm genuinely worried about my Dad in Florida. He's in his 70's and he had a bad accident decades ago that required him to get his spleen removed so he's super vulnerable to illnesses. To compound matters my Mom, just a shade under 70, is a nurse who works at a detox clinic that mostly deals with filthy (in a literal sense of the word) homeless drug addicts.

my mom is in her 80's, luckily in rural midwest so maybe they get a vaccine developed before it hits them. But yea, same concerns.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:34 pm

The Logan wrote:I'm genuinely worried about my Dad in Florida. He's in his 70's and he had a bad accident decades ago that required him to get his spleen removed so he's super vulnerable to illnesses. To compound matters my Mom, just a shade under 70, is a nurse who works at a detox clinic that mostly deals with filthy (in a literal sense of the word) homeless drug addicts.

Yeah, I'm genuinely perplexed by the dickheads saying "it's only old people dying" as a reason to ignore the concern.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:44 pm

I have the same concerns. My dad has multiple myeloma, and while his chemo is all in pill form, it DOES make him immuno-deficient.
0 x

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:23 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Yeah, I'm genuinely perplexed by the dickheads saying "it's only old people dying" as a reason to ignore the concern.

My parents, who are in their late 60s, are saying the same thing. I'm thankful that they're pretty healthy. But they don't seem to realize the risk this poses to them and their friend group.

That said, I am thanking my lucky stars that -- so far at least -- infection seems to be mild for most children, and without complications for pregnant women. I have a two year old, and my wife is due at the end of April. This would be personally terrifying if it was hitting small children as badly as it's hitting the elderly.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:02 am

i live in sarasota and so do my mom and dad
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:05 am

Rob wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

My parents, who are in their late 60s, are saying the same thing. I'm thankful that they're pretty healthy. But they don't seem to realize the risk this poses to them and their friend group.

That said, I am thanking my lucky stars that -- so far at least -- infection seems to be mild for most children, and without complications for pregnant women. I have a two year old, and my wife is due at the end of April. This would be personally terrifying if it was hitting small children as badly as it's hitting the elderly.

Same here. 17 month old and a 5 week old. :| . And the 17 month old is in daycare so if something hits he's getting it.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:57 am

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-va ... te-1489694

How legit should we believe this claim is (I remember some wild claims coming out of Israel about cancer cures or something in recent years) and if it is, how quickly would it even be possible to use in the US? I asked this in the other thread, but is it possible for FDA approval or whatever would be needed to be fast tracked?

As you can tell I'm extremely well informed on this stuff.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:32 pm

David wrote:https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-vaccine-weeks-away-being-developed-says-head-israeli-science-research-institute-1489694

How legit should we believe this claim is (I remember some wild claims coming out of Israel about cancer cures or something in recent years) and if it is, how quickly would it even be possible to use in the US? I asked this in the other thread, but is it possible for FDA approval or whatever would be needed to be fast tracked?

As you can tell I'm extremely well informed on this stuff.

The timeframe in a lot of these headlines is usually correct-ish, but hugely over-simplified. Thanks to how relatively easy they were able to crack the genetic code of this virus, there are actually several promising potential vaccines that could indeed be ready in a matter of weeks...for the extended process of testing (it'll take several attempts with each one to even a version that tentatively works), animal and human trials, approval, then manufacture and distribution. Realistically, it's likely a year until there is one available all the way to that point, and initial roll outs will almost certainly focus on the most at-risk locations and members of a population. 18 months is approximately the realistic timeframe for it to start being available widely.

Bottom line, the big question right now is how this thing will react to warm/hot weather, and how our behaviors change in those climates, and whether it responds like other flus and colds do, and the rate of infection naturally goes down during those months. Singapore is the only place to have sustained early exposure to it with weather like that, but they're difficult to see as a model since they're basically of how you'd want a country to respond to something like this. Combine that with how they're an island, and it's tricky to think their low case/high recovery/no death rates are due mostly to the weather as opposed to how excellent their standards of testing/medical care/containment/self-quarantine are. And even if the weather impacts it, we're almost certainly going to have to tangle it during the next cold & flu season.

In other news, here's a good breakdown of how this thing has been tending to impact different age groups and medical backgrounds:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who ... c-factors/
4 x

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Rob wrote:That said, I am thanking my lucky stars that -- so far at least -- infection seems to be mild for most children, and without complications for pregnant women. I have a two year old, and my wife is due at the end of April. This would be personally terrifying if it was hitting small children as badly as it's hitting the elderly.

In the same situation (3.5 y/o & due in June) and my wife works in a hospital group (but not directly in the hospital, but adjacent to it). Everything I've read is that expecting mothers are at no greater risk than the rest of us.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Chocolate Milk wrote:
Rob wrote:That said, I am thanking my lucky stars that -- so far at least -- infection seems to be mild for most children, and without complications for pregnant women. I have a two year old, and my wife is due at the end of April. This would be personally terrifying if it was hitting small children as badly as it's hitting the elderly.

In the same situation (3.5 y/o & due in June) and my wife works in a hospital group (but not directly in the hospital, but adjacent to it). Everything I've read is that expecting mothers are at no greater risk than the rest of us.

This virus is "weird" (technical term used by an MD) in that it seems to hit people harder the older they are. After 50 each decade is exponentially worse. In the latest update we received today, the doc said that there is some indication that the level of exposure is also important as well. He called it dosage. In other words, if someone gets a little exposure they don't get as sick as someone who was exposed to a large amount of the virus.

Also, if people think they have been exposed they have been encouraged to call their doctor instead of going to the office or health clinic.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:52 pm

CubinNY wrote:Also, if people think they have been exposed they have been encouraged to call their doctor instead of going to the office or health clinic.

That's a big one: unless it's because it seems like they need immediate emergency care, people who think they have been exposed really need to immediately self-isolate and call it in as opposed to just showing up.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:08 pm

good article on the history of SARS and COVID-19.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-do-a ... -20200225/
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:19 pm

Also, homeopathically, taking zinc seems to give some immunity to the infection, but I think that is universally true for most viruses.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:57 pm

CubinNY wrote:Also, homeopathically, taking zinc seems to give some immunity to the infection, but I think that is universally true for most viruses.

It is, and if you eat any fruits and/or veggies each day, odds are you already have more than enough zinc to do what it's going to be able to do.

It's also thought that vitamin D deficiency can make somebody more susceptible to flu viruses, so it's not a bad idea to be taking a daily supplement of that if your annual blood work shows it as low.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:if your annual blood work

was I supposed to be doing that?
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:08 pm

So it's mostly buried in a bunch of financial reports, but Inovio Pharmaceuticals' stock actually rose today because of the following:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/03/ ... derna.aspx

Inovio announced before the market opened on Tuesday that it was accelerating the timeline for developing its DNA vaccine INO-4800 for COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

Inovio plans to begin human clinical trials in the U.S. in April, with clinical trials following shortly thereafter in China and South Korea. The results are expected to be published in the fall of 2020. Inovio plans to produce 1 million doses of its experimental COVID-19 vaccine by the end of the year.

Which is in the wake in the following:

Moderna announced on Feb. 24 that its coronavirus vaccine mRNA-1273 was ready for human clinical trials. The biotech stated then that vials of the vaccine had already been shipped to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) for use in a U.S. phase 1 clinical study. Two days later, Novavax announced that it plans to begin a phase 1 clinical study evaluating a nanoparticle-based COVID-19 vaccine in the spring of 2020.

All three of these small biotechs appear to be in a close race. Inovio's projection that it will produce 1 million doses of INO-4800 by the end of 2020, though, seems to have given the company at least a slight lead in the eyes of investors.

Instead of focusing only on the coronavirus prospects for these biotechs, a better approach is to look at the companies' overall prospects. For example, Inovio's lead pipeline candidate is VGX-3100, a drug targeting cervical dysplasia. Moderna is evaluating its experimental cytomegalovirus (CMV) vaccine mRNA-1647 in a mid-stage clinical study. Novavax expects to soon report results from a late-stage study of its flu vaccine NanoFlu.

Here's hoping...
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:18 pm

Heard an interview with an expert on the 1918 flu pandemic that killed 50 million people. He said the first mistake of that outbreak was the government downplaying the severity of the strain to paint a more positive picture than the reality.

In other words, we’re all horsefeathers
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:26 pm

Derwood wrote:Heard an interview with an expert on the 1918 flu pandemic that killed 50 million people. He said the first mistake of that outbreak was the government downplaying the severity of the strain to paint a more positive picture than the reality.

In other words, we’re all horsefeathers

I mean, I'm not at all attempting to downplay this situation but...also it was 1918.
0 x

Return to “Social”