CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: CDC Info on COVID-19 (Corona virus)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:45 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I found this discussion thread pretty interesting:

Obviously, it's a ton of speculation, but some interesting points are raised about how this virus arguably needs specific sets of societal and environmental circumstances to really explode like it has certain areas. There's no good explanation as to why Seattle isn't MUCH worse off at this point already and at least headed to something the looks like the harder hit parts of Italy or Iran or China. The Diamond Princess cruise numbers, as a sample size, also don't make much sense, either along these lines.

Long story short: it's VERY contagious, and can be very deadly, but it needs the right mix of population demographics, close quarters living, intimate greetings (think more hugs and kisses on the cheek than just handshakes) air quality, weather and super spreader events to really run wild. It just really emphasizes how critical testing and social separation is.

...won't repeat myself...

I will!

0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Hey, if you don't want to care about fantastic content pertaining to the subject at hand because of your biases, that's on you.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:58 pm

Can someone tell me where my logic is wrong here. Genuine question, because I feel like I'm missing something.

Brazil, a country of 200m people, has 77 reported cases. The president of the country is one of them. That's either the flukiest thing of all time, or we're looking at a situation, right now, where it's reasonable to say like...100m people in the world already have this thing.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:59 pm

Miraculously, people can get all of the good stuff without wading through thicc man/thicc brain science woo gobbledygook.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:01 pm

squally1313 wrote:Can someone tell me where my logic is wrong here. Genuine question, because I feel like I'm missing something.

Brazil, a country of 200m people, has 77 reported cases. The president of the country is one of them. That's either the flukiest thing of all time, or we're looking at a situation, right now, where it's reasonable to say like...100m people in the world already have this thing.

It speaks to the thought that this is similar to the H1N1 pandemic in 2009, in that it's projected something like as many as 1.4 billion people caught that. The question is will it ultimately be less fatal/require less urgent medical care than that (up to 575,000 dead for a 0.8% case fatality rate) or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Miraculously, people can get all of the good stuff without wading through thicc man/thicc brain science woo gobbledygook.

There were only about 5 minutes (out of 120 minutes) of silliness in that interview, and it was swiftly and effectively shot down by the guest (which, if you really dislike Rogan, I would think was enjoyable). It wasn't all about COVID-19. SARS, MERS, wasting disease, vaccines, lyme, measles, wet markets, ebola, preparedness, and informing corporate America. Probably my favorite/scariest part was how he described the reaction of business leaders after he told them how bad to expect things to get. "Their reaction was akin to a 6 year old who is scared of walking down a dark hallway."
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm

Obviously, it's a ton of speculation, but some interesting points are raised about how this virus arguably needs specific sets of societal and environmental circumstances to really explode like it has certain areas. There's no good explanation as to why Seattle isn't MUCH worse off at this point already and at least headed to something the looks like the harder hit parts of Italy or Iran or China. The Diamond Princess cruise numbers, as a sample size, also don't make much sense, either along these lines.

Long story short: it's VERY contagious, and can be very deadly, but it needs the right mix of population demographics, close quarters living, intimate greetings (think more hugs and kisses on the cheek than just handshakes) air quality, weather and super spreader events to really run wild. It just really emphasizes how critical testing and social separation is.

next week, starting Sunday, we are expecting highs in the mid 50's and lots of sun. So, cool, dry weather, all week. If the virus doesn't like humidity and/or heat, it will explode in Puget sound by the end of the week.

oh giddy
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:53 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

next week, starting Sunday, we are expecting highs in the mid 50's and lots of sun. So, cool, dry weather, all week. If the virus doesn't like humidity and/or heat, it will explode in Puget sound by the end of the week.

oh giddy

Well, it seems like the question of exactly what type of weather and humidity this particular virus prefers, and how much it effects its spread, is very much up in the air (pun intended). Just open your windows and enjoy the air.
2 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:56 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

oh giddy

Well, it seems like the question of exactly what type of weather and humidity this particular virus prefers, and how much it effects its spread, is very much up in the air (pun intended). Just open your windows and enjoy the air.

you don't understand how it works, we're all going to die if we aren't dead already
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:03 pm

I really hope "boomer remover" sticks
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:12 pm

about horsefeathering time
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:22 pm

David wrote:https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1238485355998973953?s=20

about horsefeathering time

Does this count as "leading from behind?"
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:25 pm

squally1313 wrote:Bolsonaro tests positive.

To which I offer a hearty lolololololololol

No he didn’t.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:25 pm

I am not remotely qualified to make these judgments, but I feel like a month ago I was hearing that China had botched their response and it was too late for them to keep it from becoming a nation-wide epidemic, but now they seem to have it under control and I'm hearing "well, sure, but they handled it perfectly from the beginning in ways Western countries can't hope to do."
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

I am not remotely qualified to make these judgments, but I feel like a month ago I was hearing that China had botched their response and it was too late for them to keep it from becoming a nation-wide epidemic, but now they seem to have it under control and I'm hearing "well, sure, but they handled it perfectly from the beginning in ways Western countries can't hope to do."

If we're being generous, you could maybe say that China's heavy-handed, top-down form of governance made an outbreak worse, but once the problem was undeniable they marshaled the State to mitigate the damage in a way that Western countries simply won't be able to.
3 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:37 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

If we're being generous, you could maybe say that China's heavy-handed, top-down form of governance made an outbreak worse, but once the problem was undeniable they marshaled the State to mitigate the damage in a way that Western countries simply won't be able to.

Yeah this seems about right. And now they’re on some weird goodwill PR campaign to spin that they weren’t bad actors on this thing at all that seems to be taking off a bit on social media.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:40 pm

Anyone praising China as the model as to how to handle this is acting in EXTREMELY bad faith. South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore are what everyone should look to.
6 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:04 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

From an amatuerist, simplistic take that explanation seems pretty reasonable.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:58 pm

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:32 pm

For some historical perspective (this is part 1 of 5)

2 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:53 pm

jesus christ
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:22 pm

Yeah, I know, don't watch it. But also...

Was scheduled to start 22 minutes ago. Still waiting...
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:33 pm

Probably waiting for the stock market to close to avoid another sell off
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:38 pm

Brian707 wrote:Probably waiting for the stock market to close to avoid another sell off

And it actually had a rebound today.
0 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 pm

David wrote:https://twitter.com/janesports/status/1238534330533711879?s=20

jesus christ

At what point do states just step outside the federal govt, even if there is some reason their not supposed to. Like I heard a story the other day the Cleveland clinic had to get CDC approval to develop a test. Why don't states just use whatever resource they have and start going at it alone?
0 x

Return to “Social”